View Poll Results: Does Legend have the playability of TR1/TR2 ?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES it does

22 43.14%
  • NO it doesn't

29 56.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparisons: Legend / TR1, TR2

Question Comparisons: Legend / TR1, TR2

The Original game didn't have the eye candy that Legend has, but does Legend have the playability of TR1/TR2 ?

It is replayable. Just not as much.

"My" TRs are still 1-4. Legend is: anyhow too american (for me). Looking good, but isn't really good (2nd view - brain dead).

Sorry.
    Do-Not-Spam!
    Do-Not-E-Mail-Registry!
    But you may reply to this e-mail.

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

I love what i've seen so far; Tomb Raider 1 has many happy memories, it's the game which made me buy the Playstation; many late nights with that one. But it's so easy to remember with rose tinted glasses. My Pc version of TR1 is a swine to run and for some reason looks worse than the Playstation version did. But yes; Legend is up there.

TRL is very good, but as TR1 is my favourite game EVER i can't quite go as far as saying it was as good. TR1+2 had something very special about them, whether it was the level design, balances between combat and puzzles or just the sheer scale of them. for me they will have to pull off something really special to get as good as the original.

i'm not saying that TRL is bad, i love it, its just that for me TR1 was as near to perfect as possible and i don't think i, personally, will ever like a game as much as that one
    "Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them" - Dr. Seuss

It has so much to unlock, but the older games had more to explore. Ghana is the level that I'd most like to play again, but even that would get repetitive after a while. What I'm enjoying is playing the cutscenes again with different costumes! Once I've found all the secrets, I will keep coming back to Legend as long as I have a PS2. (The poll is 50/50 at the moment...eek!)

Cool

As Legend was a great game, it can barely stand up against the first Raider games. It's the same thing with Angel of Darkness: it misses the solid gameplay and it was a little bit too linear in Legend (and chronicles and AoD).

I just finished the whole mansion level in Legend, and I wondered why they didn't make the levels more like the gym! not just one ledge that you have to take to cross over, but a lot of ways that you can choose/try to get to point B which make it more confusing to find your way.

Also, the puzzles are fun to do, but also a little bit too easy and obvious. If Legend would have the size of the first four games (+ 20/25 hours gameplay) it would have been much better. I did enjoyed the game, finished it twice and going back to get all the secrets and do the time trials. Keep up the good work, you are almost there

legend was awful and will make a good coaster on my coffee table

is Legend TR1 quality?

Well no one ever forgets their first time .. and for me it was with TR1 which will always hold a special place in my heart.

In comparison I LOVE TR Legend .. I Love all the releases some more than others and some the very least *cough AoD*

I especially like the Dragon's Lair/Space Ace sequences where the movie runs and you have to hit the controls in the proper direction. I think they could release a mini game that ran through an entire adventure that way and old school arcade buffs like me would lap it up.

I am only 48 percent or so done with TRL waiting on my new vid cards to come UPS so I can enjoy the new graphics.

I like the shorter levels to some extent - gives them re-play ability. I love cut scenes and there are plenty in TRL I mean that’s why you play, to solve puzzles so you can see what Lara will do next.

I have to say she seems a bit on the sensitive side - I did like the dark mystique in AoD - I like Lara when she gives the look like you stepped over the line and now its time for a pistol whipping.

Even more replay? Well in TR Unfinished Business we just took the old level and flooded it with water and added some areas .. That’s easy enough /nudge nudge wink wink to the level designers! I liked the idea of revisiting a tomb where there was something more than you thought.

IMO any chance to play Lara and help her though a tomb is time well spent.
    TRL has done soo much to bring Lara back I can't understand why people just don't see that. I guess there will always be the people who pick at the edges till it all comes apart. Some are as bad a Penn and Teller and though your act is funny and interesting it takes away from the whole experiance.

TRL is great! It gets the spot next to vintage PS1 and the framed TR1 cd

Johnny

There are 2 types of gamers, those who play games and those who enjoy games.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyfandango
    There are 2 types of gamers, those who play games and those who enjoy games.
    Actually you're wrong there, it should read: "There are 2 types of gamers, those who play games and those who mod games."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well it seems more people believe TR1/TR2 was more playable. It's so sad, because I love eye candy, I just wish playability could also be as good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by dhama
    Actually you're wrong there, it should read: "There are 2 types of gamers, those who play games and those who mod games."
    I've heard different version.

There are 2 type of gamers: those who play games and those who play Sims.

Quote Originally Posted by thoran6
    legend was awful and will make a good coaster on my coffee table
    I don't get it dude, You got bored real quickly of Legend yet have seemingly unlimited amounts of patience with writing that same line out over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again in as many threads as you can find. We know already, coffee table, coaster, we get it... and it wasn't really that clever the first time. Blimey,.. if anyone is the root cause of Goran's 'should we confine the boring repetitive rants to one place' thread, its you dude.

Can I suggest a few new lines as that one is about to keel over despite its zimmer-frame. Howsabout:

Legend will make a good frisbee for my dog

Legend will make a good pocket mirror for the tramps I see in town

Legend will make a great deterrent for herons by catching the light if I hang it above my pond

Legend will be great to sniff class A substances off of

Legend will make half of a fine pair of earrings

Legend will a make a good reflecting tool for burning ants

Express yourself by all means but puuulllleeease change the record once in a while. Perhaps we should start a new thread entitled 'Post your comedy uses for your Legend disc here to give Thoran6 some new ideas'

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Straw Dog
    Legend will be great to sniff class A substances off of

Legend will make half of a fine pair of earrings

Legend will a make a good reflecting tool for burning ants

Express yourself by all means but puuulllleeease change the record once in a while. Perhaps we should start a new thread entitled 'Post your comedy uses for your Legend disc here to give *edit by Lone Raider: all Legend haters* some new ideas'
    wonderful, I agree

can I have one of those please I still need a signature. Think I just found the one I want.

Exclamation

This is NOT a hate thread, it's a comparison thread... The hate thread is two doors along. I Thankyou.

@Xcom.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

back to comparisons

TR1 was sure eye candy back in the day, heck i rember sitting open mouthed at the first FMV sequence when she backfilps of the temple dorr to shoot the wolves.

the controls where ground breaking, the gameplay was moreish, needed to finsh the game, limping Lara long to the next save point was a real gameplay must, whcih CD have recaptured somewhat, with their save system, being based on checkpionts (checkpoints with a little blue crystal in the corner )

sure some of the puzzles in TR1 where tricksy, but not to much so that they took hours to do, all in all as TR1 revolutionised adventure gaming (note TR is NOT platform gaming as many here call it, it is an ACTION ADVENTURE game, big difference) revolutionised the controls for action adventure gaming, TRL has done exactly the same thing, certainly in respects of consoles, and gamepad controls, taking us away fomr the frustrating grid system, to a much smoother ride.

Perosnaly i'm sure part of why it seems alot easier is that we're not fighting the grid system all the time, as we have done for so many years, and for those of us useing gamepads, the controls are a breeze, completly, changed gaming, for the furture if theres any justice.

i'd say if we consider TRL a new start for the TR gaming franchise, then it stands up well, and compares well to TR1, although no one could sya that TRL is better than TR1, TR1 being so legnedry, it certainly compares nicely. Completion times also comparetive, TR1 easily completable in 10-12hrs, TRL also averageing (note averaging is taking times proveded so far and finding a rough figure inbetween, not going on, one or two times, of 4-6 hrs) 10-12hrs

very comparable.

lets hope CD build on TRL and make there magnum opus TR2 whcih is by far and away my fav or the "old" TR games. the maria dora levels themselves, give me a thrill even now

beccaxx

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by munchkin
    ....the maria dora levels themselves, give me a thrill even now

beccaxx
    Tell me about it, One of my all time favourite levels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

its to much like an american 3 person shootout game

Cool the real version

Quote Originally Posted by Xcom
    I've heard different version.

There are 2 type of gamers: those who play games and those who play Sims.

now that's the real version of it: there are gamers and there are fans. gamers play 200 games a week and they tend to compare them, they like eye candy, unlockables, outfits and so on, while there are fans that compare tr with tr and like the gameplay, the puzzles and the exploration. i have news for gamers: "graphics" iz not the most important thing in the world!!! don't cry little boys and girls, it's ok!
    trl will never even come close to tr1 because: tr1 was groundbreaking, the first ever 3d adventure game, trl is nothing new( not even the next-gen graphics), tr1 had great ideas for puzzles, trl does not not have a single 1 ( one) real puzzle( pushing 4 buttons in the same room does not qualify as a puzzle) and tr1 was intelligent and fun and challenging while trl was made for silly little boys and girls to play with Lara's outfits.
    playaplaya4real

Quote Originally Posted by munchkin
    lets hope CD build on TRL and make there magnum opus TR2 whcih is by far and away my fav or the "old" TR games. the maria dora levels themselves, give me a thrill even now

beccaxx
    Well, most of you have probably seen me rant about how bad TR2 was enough times to know I didn't like it, but one thing puzzles me-- The Maria Doria levels ran sooooo slowly, it was as if everything was in slow motion (the same thing happened on several other levels, also.) And yet, I never saw anyone complaining about TR2 anywhere near as much for being buggy as they complain about AOD for having bugs. And really, TR2s slow-motion bug made the game a lot more unplayable than AOD's messed up texture bugs (and I know it wasn't just my PC that had trouble running TR2, because I tried it at several friends' houses, and besides it only happened on certain levels.) It took me so long just to run across one room of the Maria Doria, and then I'd get to the other side, and realized I needed a key from somewhere else, and I had to make the long, slow trek back.... it drove me insane!

Anyway, I guess that was totally off-topic. Sorry!
    This signature has been banned by the department of health.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Raider
    wonderful, I agree

can I have one of those please I still need a signature. Think I just found the one I want.
    Go for it dude. Let me guess, you want the class A substances one?

Quote Originally Posted by Straw Dog
    Go for it dude. Let me guess, you want the class A substances one?
    lol thank you! That one is great but I'm going to be nice and go for the earrings one. Beecause, really, that one hits the nail on the head for me: TRL feels like half a game to me, and I'm longing for the other half.
    (so it's not even that negative...)

Mangar, I never had any troubles running them on PS, never even knew anything about slow motion bugs, that's too bad for you, I can imagine a level like the Deck having a totally different impact with you then. Maybe you could try replaying it on PS?

I got my TRL back today... gonna go and play it instead of ranting for a while.. who knows, I might even get some fun out of it for once

to me it has much more playability than both 1 & 2. I enjoyed 2 quite a bit but its rare that I want to go back to a tr game after I complete it. Legend has me coming back for more. Esp. Because some of the rewards are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Raider
    Mangar, I never had any troubles running them on PS, never even knew anything about slow motion bugs, that's too bad for you, I can imagine a level like the Deck having a totally different impact with you then. Maybe you could try replaying it on PS?
    Yeah, the slow motion bug was really a game killer for me. I mean, TR2 had some other design decision which I didn't care for (too many fights, mainly), but the slow-mo thing was why I just gave up on it. The first level had it, so I got a bad impression right away. Then it went away for Venice, and I started to feel a bit better about things, but then it was back again a couple of level later. It was strange-- I assume they used the same engine for all the levels, but some levels worked fine, while others were slow as molasses. I even tried it again when I got a new (and much faster) computer, but the problem persisted. I wish they would rerelease those old games for the XBox so I could try it again... who knows? Maybe I'd actually like TR2 if it ran smoothly.

Oh well, that's ancient history now.
    This signature has been banned by the department of health.

Well you know if you didn't live in Skara Brae (is that on this planet?) I'd lend you my PS and the games just so you can go and enjoy them.
    Oh, Grimland is Germany.
    I Love Anniversary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast