Thread: moving separate meshes in Wadmerger

moving separate meshes in Wadmerger

I've tried several times to move individual meshes in an ANIMATING object, but they always "stick together".

I know it should be possible, because there are several objects in the original game that have more than 1 mesh that move independently. How is this done?

Or is it just a limitation of Wadmerger?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

The positions of all meshes are relative to their parent mesh, or a "root" mesh. Once the positions of the meshes are set, they can't be changed within an animation. They can only be rotated.
    The illusion of mesh movement can be achieved by having extra meshes that are normally not visible. You can use anim commands to hide and show meshes. That is how the blinking lights work, as well as the forward/reverse light on the jeep.

so if I want a fluent animation of 90 frames where 2 blocks move away from each other, I'd have to hide&unhide meshes 90 times?

Quote Originally Posted by aktrekker
    The positions of all meshes are relative to their parent mesh, or a "root" mesh
    is it possible to have multiple root meshes?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Driber
    so if I want a fluent animation of 90 frames where 2 blocks move away from each other, I'd have to hide&unhide meshes 90 times?

is it possible to have multiple root meshes?

Check the TRC doors or the slamming doors in TR3.
    They will have a dummy root mesh far far away from the door meshes. In this way the door meshes can rotate around the root mesh but the root mesh is so far away it look like the doors are moving straight out when actually its a big arc. You may even be able to replace the door meshes with your blocks and animate so they arc further away from each other.

A mesh can only have 1 parent mesh but it does not have to show in game therefore only 1 root mesh.
    Natla Tech
    Employee of the year

Meshes are rotated around their origin, which is position 0,0,0 in meta. If you build a block at position 0,0,20, it will still be rotated at the point 0,0,0. So in the mesh tree editor, move the mesh 20 blocks backwards so it's at the correct position. Now when rotating the block, it will actually rotate around the origin which is far away. So the radius of the curve it makes when rotating is 20 blocks. It looks like it just moves to the side then.

For example, if the radius is 20 blocks, if you rotate the mesh 6 degrees, it will move 2 blocks to the side and 0,01 block backwards. You hardly notice it moved backwards that little, so you have it moving to the side.

You can also do that in wadmerger with the Move Center option. That moves the center of a mesh far away so you have a bigger or smaller radius.

Real moving of meshes seperatly is NOT possible, TR only knows rotations of meshes and movement for the whole object only. So this is a trick to work around this limitation.

Ahaa..I had it wrong then..The mesh is moved far away from the pivot point.
    Its been awhile since I looked at those doors.
    So 2 blocks moving away only requires a root mesh and a child. Then move the meshes themselves far away from their pivot points. Animate the root mesh and then animate the child mesh...
    Natla Tech
    Employee of the year

Don't forget that when you place the object in a room, you are placing the root mesh. If the meshes are far from the root, you could end up with part of the object outside the room. I have no idea if that might cause a problem.