Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm concerned

Thumbs Down I'm concerned

I have to admit, while I'm incredibly excited for the game, lately I've been losing faith and hope with every little detail. I'm not protesting or boycotting the game, I just wanted to express my concerns.

Well, for starters is the recycling of Underworld's game engine. "We revamped it." Yes, that's nice. But you can still tell, based on the way Lara moves--and like in Underworld, she jumps around like a squirrel on cocaine and speed. Her movement mechanics are terrible and need a lot of work, and it seems like SE & CD are proud of simple dirt.

Second is the discrepancies. With one of the new screenshots we've received, we see the upgrade menu and the pistol Lara recovers after her assault. It's called the WWII Pistol. However, it's a Beretta 92SB. That model of Beretta (and any look-alikes) weren't manufactured until 40 years AFTER WWII.

Furthermore, as with the rest of Lara's equipment, the inaccurate WWII Pistol can be upgraded. Based on an IGN video, the WWII Pistol after being completely upgraded changes it's appearance, being modelled after an HK USP Match pistol (more commonly known as Lara's trademark pistols since Legend and the films.) So basically, Lara starts off with a Beretta and through upgrading, the weapon changes manufacturers, design, and the bloody time period. Logic = fail.

"It's just a video game," some may say. Yeah, well in this day and age, video games are more of a realistic digital experience than a silly fictional adventure. Maybe 15 years ago, I would have agreed with you. But now, the failure to include simple logic is an automatic fail, not only with me, but with 95% of professionals including fellow developers, game magazines, and journalists.

Let us take the time to pray that Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics wake up and realize the hole they've dug.

(click image to enlarge)

Well, Lara's axe changes from Scavenger brand to Random-ass Whatever Pry Tool brand.

It's quite possible that Lara gets a different gun, just like she gains a different bow and axe.

Picking up a different gun would make more sense, but by upgrading the Beretta, it turns into an HK. That doesn't make sense at all. Unless the Beretta and HK are two different guns that she finds in the world. But the HK was her trademark pistols from Legend, Underworld, GOL, and the films. So if they do bring those back, hopefully it's in an extravagant manner. However, in the video, she was only using one.

(click image to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Picking up a different gun would make more sense, but by upgrading the Beretta, it turns into an HK. That doesn't make sense at all. Unless the Beretta and HK are two different guns that she finds in the world. But the HK was her trademark pistols from Legend, Underworld, GOL, and the films. So if they do bring those back, hopefully it's in an extravagant manner. However, in the video, she was only using one.
    I'm sure when she gets her pistols (even if at the end of this new series), it'll be done extravagantly.

I think it's just implied that the guns change, like with the bows and axes.

Though you still have a point about the gun not being made during WWII.

I don't know anything about that.

I wouldn't actually be surprised if she just found a new gun....its kinda similar to how Roth gave her the climbing axe, instead of the meat axe turning into the climbing axe.

Ya feel me homie.

But.... "It's just a video game"
    ᴙє₳Ŀi₮ɣ is for people who can't handle ΩӍß Ɍ∆¡Ðєʁ.

I'm really happy with what i'm seeing besides the bow disappearing when using the hand gun or the climbing axe and Lara's hair which i have high hopes they will fix as they said they are now perfecting this game!
    signature image

Aaaaaand this stops you from playing the game?
    or You will be angry on TR logic while playing the game?

These are too small details to keep in mind..., IMO I don't care about pistols models that much
    signature image

dint pay to much attention to the weapons yet but yes, i they definitely dint had this pistol during the second world war. they had colts but not this weapon.
    also with the assault rifle i have noticed that it was written WWII machine gun, instead giving the right description that its a FG42, which is a german paratroop weapon.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallsch...4ger_Gewehr_42
    she might find a different weapon that comes closer to her standard weapon after some upgrading but for now, lets hope CD will fix it for the final version.

im not that concerned about it to be honest but getting these facts right would make a better impression.
    signature image

"It's just a video game," some may say. Yeah, well in this day and age, video games are more of a realistic digital experience than a silly fictional adventure. Maybe 15 years ago, I would have agreed with you. But now, the failure to include simple logic is an automatic fail, not only with me, but with 95% of professionals including fellow developers, game magazines, and journalists.

Let us take the time to pray that Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics wake up and realize the hole they've dug.
    I appreciate your knowledge and your love for logic - I really do, there should be more people like you in the world - but there is no videogame in the world who follows the rules of realism as rigorously as you demand here. And thank goodness for that, because if they did it would take away lots of the joy and playability. And I do not believe that any magazine or journalist would complain about a gun turning into another gun.

The WOII gun is not a WOII gun? Alright, that's a little sloppy then, but I won't lose sleep over it...

As for Lara's movements: I agree that they looked terrible in Underworld, but I have played the TR9 demo myself and in my opinion they're fine now.

By the way, are there really HK UPS Matches in the game? I haven't seen them so far...

I don't say that you can't be concerned Of course you can, but, i think that you're looking at so small details
    You know, i appreciate your love for logic and stuff, and you are right on the gun thing, but, i think that you shouldn't not play the game for this

Well I never said I'm not playing the game--that's certainly not the case. I just think that there isn't an excuse for messing up details or not making room for logic. If you want a good game, you need to focus on all aspects.

As for the machine gun not being named the FG42, it could be in lieu of license issues or copyright nonsense. I think if they were to use the real name, they'd have to pay the manufacturer of the gun to use the name.

Like I said, I was just expressing my thoughts. No need for a couple of you to jump down my throat about it...

(click image to enlarge)

I'm concerned about them putting multiplayer in the game, i just hope they dont!
    signature image

Of course I would love if there weren't any discrepancies like the one you pointed out (thank you for that), but there's not much that can be done. Maybe SeanCordernay is right and she'll just find a new gun like what happened with the climbing axe. Don't forget Roth has pistols too
    They became heroes because they deserved to be heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by LR Croft View Post
    Of course I would love if there weren't any discrepancies like the one you pointed out (thank you for that), but there's not much that can be done. Maybe SeanCordernay is right and she'll just find a new gun like what happened with the climbing axe. Don't forget Roth has pistols too
    Yeah i hope she finds a new bow you know the one with spiraled edges and patterns on ( the one on the box art ) because it would seem a bit unrealistic changing from a bow made out of sticks into a perfectly carved one, just with a bit of salvage
    signature image

Well I never said I'm not playing the game--that's certainly not the case. I just think that there isn't an excuse for messing up details or not making room for logic. If you want a good game, you need to focus on all aspects.

As for the machine gun not being named the FG42, it could be in lieu of license issues or copyright nonsense. I think if they were to use the real name, they'd have to pay the manufacturer of the gun to use the name.

Like I said, I was just expressing my thoughts. No need for a couple of you to jump down my throat about it...
    true about the license BS. but as i said, it woulndt harm to use the right names. if they have to ask permission for the name of the gun, then they can at least try. or use a made up name that it gives the impression that its not just a gun but the gun, if you understand my meaning.
    signature image

No need for a couple of you to jump down my throat about it...
    After you said this, I carefully read every post in this thread and honestly cannot find anyone "jumping down your throat", Valenka.

I just see people either agreeing or disagreeing with you, but I didn't spot any rudeness or disrespect towards your opinions.

Maybe you read more into some posts than was actually there?

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    After you said this, I carefully read every post in this thread and honestly cannot find anyone "jumping down your throat", Valenka.

I just see people either agreeing or disagreeing with you, but I didn't spot any rudeness or disrespect towards your opinions.

Maybe you read more into some posts than was actually there?
    Well, telling me it isn't a big deal when I'm not treating it like one certainly sounds antagonistic to me...

(click image to enlarge)

Well, telling me it isn't a big deal when I'm not treating it like one certainly sounds antagonistic to me...
    Well, one might argue that creating a dedicated thread about it and using terms such as "CD has dug themselves a hole with this" does give off the impression that it is a big deal for you.

But setting that aside, a member telling you "this is not a big deal", even if he misinterpreted how you are treating it, is - excuse the irony - not a big deal IMO. Granted, it wasn't SUPER polite, but nothing serious enough for a member of staff to intervene, either.

On public forums there is always going to be a certain level of "opinion vs. opinion", and you need to be ready for that. If the member would use disrespectful terms such as "you are stupid for thinking like that" then it would be a different thing, of course.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

The gun logic doesn't bother me that much, we are talking about a series where the stern of a sunken oceanliner can exist underwater in a cavern without being flooded, and that seemingly modern ammunition, flares and medical packs are dotting all over the tombs, even though it is highly suggested that Lara is the first modern human in these tombs.

Though I am slightly concerned about control too, Anniversary and Underworld felt like I was playing with a ragdoll, though that may be because I played those games on the Wii and the earlier games on PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Well, one might argue that creating a dedicated thread about it and using terms such as "CD has dug themselves a hole with this" does give off the impression that it is a big deal for you.

But setting that aside, a member telling you "this is not a big deal", even if he misinterpreted how you are treating it, is - excuse the irony - not a big deal IMO. Granted, it wasn't SUPER polite, but nothing serious enough for a member of staff to intervene, either.

On public forums there is always going to be a certain level of "opinion vs. opinion", and you need to be ready for that. If the member would use disrespectful terms such as "you are stupid for thinking like that" then it would be a different thing, of course.
    Good point, Driber. My apologies.

(click image to enlarge)

I'm concerned because in the E3 demo for tomb raider in 2012 Lara's rifle and pistol where gone, maybe they get stolen by the scavengers.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnaBass View Post
    I'm concerned because in the E3 demo for tomb raider in 2012 Lara's rifle and pistol where gone, maybe they get stolen by the scavengers.
    Are you sure that they were gone? Maybe she didn't use them.
    We already know that when Lara uses a weapon/the bow the other weapons on her body disappear
    And that makes me concerned the most

Quote Originally Posted by pidipidi39 View Post
    Are you sure that they were gone? Maybe she didn't use them.
    We already know that when Lara uses a weapon/the bow the other weapons on her body disappear
    And that makes me concerned the most
    Oh yeah forgot about that. Hopefully that question about the dissapearing weapons will be answered n the next podcast or Q&A session.

Good point, Driber. My apologies.
    No apologies necessary! But appreciated nonetheless

BTW, we already have a general dislikes/concerns thread here http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=127574 so we'll probably either need to merge threads OR change the title of this one to a more descriptive one about the gun specific topic.

Can you come up with one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast