Thread: are previewers misinterpreting Tomb Raider?

Question are previewers misinterpreting Tomb Raider?

or is Tomb Raider misinterpreting itself? or both?

http://www.1up.com/previews/lara-cro...mporary-design

hmmmm what do you think? The previewer might have some good points, but they have bad taste in movies.

Still reading, but I have to wow at this:

Quote Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post

Its AOD Lara making a return. Im excited.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by LaraDuh View Post
    Its AOD Lara making a return. Im excited.
    ohmalawd.

It seems like we have a choice to kill the guy though.

But, the choice probably being either let him die or kill him now.

I also thought this was cool, I think, I don't remember what I quoted but here it is...

edit: Damn, so many quotable things in this article, digging it.

edit: UGG I can't wait to Let's Play this game.

edit: Op, it's getting real about the Uncharted nods and the scripted sequences. I hope CD ditch them with the next game, CD you have great mechanics here, you can do without this cinematic poopies.

He's complaining that the game is too awesome ..... THE IDIOT!

I want TR to not be a corridor shooter with cinematic events.

I hope they can manage to...IDK, nicely intertwine combat with everything else.

edit: Anygays, to answer the thread title, I don't think they're misinterpreting Tomb Raider, I think they're...IDK...like me. ._.

They want TR to not try to be...a sort of generic action game as long as it's mainstream.

I want to read it and i don't at the same time as i don't want any more spoilers so i'm going to try and resist reading anything /watching any new trailers.

I'm not going to read it all to avoid spoilers, but at the end of the day, if the reviews and general public are misinterpreting it, the only people to blame are Crystal Dynamics for not presenting whatever they wanted to do with this game in a better fashion. It's their job to ensure that their vision comes to life and if people can't see that then they've failed.

People will always have high expectations from CD and this game because Tomb Raider is/was a high profile (AAA) franchise. So even though this game seems to be taking hits from people all over for being too action orientated, etc whilst there is already so many games that do the same thing whilst getting praise is because people won't settle for anything less of standard that this franchise has already set. It's hard to beat when TR has set such a high bar in the past.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Weemanply109 View Post
    People will always have high expectations from CD and this game because Tomb Raider is/was a high profile (AAA) franchise. So even though this game seems to be taking hits from people all over for being too action orientated, etc whilst there is already so many games that do the same thing whilst getting praise is because people won't settle for anything less of standard that this franchise has already set.
    That is an excellent point and that is why I believe that a franchises long legacy of previous installments is in many cases a handicap - you won't find people complaining that there is too much talking in Uncharted games, but there would be if Uncharted was exactly the same game except with the name Pitfall. Or if it was called Indiana Jones and the secret of Drake people would complain that there are no melting Nazi's.
    Ergo: it's no wonder that there are reboots, origin stories, remakes and rereboots all over the place: they want to shrug off that past and start something fresh. But even so people will often judge the new installment with the previous ones in mind.

I want TR to not be a corridor shooter with cinematic events.

I hope they can manage to...IDK, nicely intertwine combat with everything else.

edit: Anygays, to answer the thread title, I don't think they're misinterpreting Tomb Raider, I think they're...IDK...like me. ._.

They want TR to not try to be...a sort of generic action game as long as it's mainstream.
    They need to use the same formula from TR1-6. Its what made the games fun and exciting. Whenever they talk about rebuilding the pillars of what makes a TR game, i cringe. Dont get me wrong, I think this game will be a masterpiece and give Lara her swag and rep, back but in the next game, please bring back the old formula, or at least combine it with this new great formula.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by LaraDuh View Post
    They need to use the same formula from TR1-6. Its what made the games fun and exciting. Whenever they talk about rebuilding the pillars of what makes a TR game, i cringe. Dont get me wrong, I think this game will be a masterpiece and give Lara her swag and rep, back but in the next game, please bring back the old formula, or at least combine it with this new great formula.
    Well, TBH I don't think what we have here is too different a formula, or recipee of TR, it still has the TR pillars, but the thing is every game has at least 2 of the TR pillars, because every game has some combat, exploration, platforming, and puzzle-solving. It's very broad.

I think what has changed is the setup, or the composition of the gameplay mechanics.

In a game like Uncharted 3, the player, Nathan Drake, the player character is very passive to the incoming action which drags him scene-by-scene. Whereas in a game like Batman Arkham City, the player for the most part initiates the story by playing the game, by using the mechanics to progress.

IDK.

Exclamation

CD and Tomb Raider should study Skyrim (The Elder Scrolls games) instead of Uncharted.

SKRYIM is really closer to the openness and player initializing the story/adventure how they want and can adapt to Tomb Raider elements very nicely.

Skyrim sells even more than Uncharted games, because Skyrim has more freedom and lots more to do, while still having story and stuff. Plus CD could pack in their Lara storytelling narrative, without treating a videogame like a movie.

Videogames shouldn't be like movies anyway. movies have almost no replay value, and the least interaction and nonlinearity.

Quote Originally Posted by affinity View Post
    CD and Tomb Raider should study Skyrim (The Elder Scrolls games) instead of Uncharted.

SKRYIM is really closer to the openness and player initializing the story/adventure how they want and can adapt to Tomb Raider elements very nicely.

Skyrim sells even more than Uncharted games, because Skyrim has more freedom and lots more to do, while still having story and stuff. Plus CD could pack in their Lara storytelling narrative, without treating a videogame like a movie.

Videogames shouldn't be like movies anyway. movies have almost no replay value, and the least interaction and nonlinearity.
    I want!

WOW!!

I am not going to read the article...i don't want to know more than i already do...

but to answer the question, i think almost EVERYONE is misinterpreting the game, simply because they haven't seen most of it yet. I have read so many posts of people forming opinions about how the game will turn out, when they have actually seen very little of it. What CD has released so far in terms of content is very carefully planned, but it certainly isn't everything that will be seen when the game is finally out.

I have seen people assume there are no tombs or puzzles simply because CD hasn't chosen to reveal them yet. I have seen people complain about everything from Lara's hair, her pockets, the animations, all the way to the whole white ledges thing...all the time completely forgetting that the majority of the screens and demos are beta or even pre-beta versions. I have also heard many people assume that things in this game are going to suck, just because they thought that CD's other games sucked (which, by the way, is not a universally accepted opinion).

I know that people love to speculate and discuss, but i really don't get the whole "let's judge the entire game as a whole, based off of some carefully released content which only amounts to about 10% of the total" attitude. I also totally understand that people are concerned about certain things, but it is often taken way too far. For me, concerns should not become obsessions, speculation should not become judgement, and assumptions should not become facts....

To be honest, i still think that too many people are trying to make comparisons to the old TR, and use that as the standard of whether it will be good or not...it WILL be different, that is the nature of a reboot.

Simple solution...wait for the game, play it through, THEN make all the judgements that you like. No "interpretations" needed then
    "I'd like to say it was nice to meet you, but that would be a lie"
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by sierra xb View Post
    I am not going to read the article...i don't want to know more than i already do...

but to answer the question, i think almost EVERYONE is misinterpreting the game, simply because they haven't seen most of it yet. I have read so many posts of people forming opinions about how the game will turn out, when they have actually seen very little of it. What CD has released so far in terms of content is very carefully planned, but it certainly isn't everything that will be seen when the game is finally out.

I have seen people assume there are no tombs or puzzles simply because CD hasn't chosen to reveal them yet. I have seen people complain about everything from Lara's hair, her pockets, the animations, all the way to the whole white ledges thing...all the time completely forgetting that the majority of the screens and demos are beta or even pre-beta versions. I have also heard many people assume that things in this game are going to suck, just because they thought that CD's other games sucked (which, by the way, is not a universally accepted opinion).

I know that people love to speculate and discuss, but i really don't get the whole "let's judge the entire game as a whole, based off of some carefully released content which only amounts to about 10% of the total" attitude. I also totally understand that people are concerned about certain things, but it is often taken way too far. For me, concerns should not become obsessions, speculation should not become judgement, and assumptions should not become facts....

To be honest, i still think that too many people are trying to make comparisons to the old TR, and use that as the standard of whether it will be good or not...it WILL be different, that is the nature of a reboot.

Simple solution...wait for the game, play it through, THEN make all the judgements that you like. No "interpretations" needed then
    what she said ^^
    now lets hope CD doesnt spoil to much in the upcoming week @ IGN

Quote Originally Posted by sierra xb View Post

True.
    signature image