Thread: (PC) Slowdown seemingly unaffected by graphics settings

(PC) Slowdown seemingly unaffected by graphics settings

(PC) Slowdown seemingly unaffected by graphics settings

Specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: INTELR
    System Model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Page File: 892MB used, 2022MB available
    Video Card: GeForce 4 8600GT
    Memory: 3 GB

Not sure how much of that is useful. Now game runs in a framerate around the upper teens, lower 20s. The problem I have is, it runs pretty much EXACTLY the same whether or not I have the settings on LOW or on HIGH, so there is pretty clearly another problem at work here.

I've tested my memory, all drivers are up to date, ran spyware checks, anti-virus scans, registry cleaners, defrags, etc, but there is little, if any, difference in performance. Any clue what could be causing this?

Let me guess, you have physx on?

physx is off in all cases.

Your video cards not the greatest, but that doesn't explain why it slows on lower settings. Have you any thing switched on in Nvidia control panel? Everything should be set to application control.

Everything is set to application controlled in the control panel. This is the only game that has this issue.

Sorry mate I don't know. The only thing I can see which would cause this problem of lower settings is physics processing. There's a Mod here who seems to be the video card man but he's not on line at the moment. He's registered as jaycw2309

OP you have a single core P4 so turning down the graphics settings or lowering the res isnt really going to help. regardless of what the min requirements say a decent dual core cpu is really needed for the game.
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit || i5 2500K || MSI P67A-G45 || Galaxy GTX570 || G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB 1600 DDR3 || Samsung F3 1TB || HAF 912 case || Antec Neo Eco 520 watt

I have the same problem and i have a 8600GTS, i get from 1024x768 no AA everything else to high (no physx) and get 15-20 fps, then i change to 640x480 no AA everything to low (lowest possible) and get 15-25 fps, obviously there is something really wrong whit the game cuz i can play other games like Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, Fallout 3, all in high settings 1024x768 and get a average of 40 fps.

People whit GTX260 - GTX275 are getting 40-60 fps, that is too low for those video cards.

Maybe is because the game is a port from console, alot of games get crappy port, lets hope the final product gets better.

Originally Posted by cignuz
    I have the same problem and i have a 8600GTS, i get from 1024x768 no AA everything else to high (no physx) and get 15-20 fps, then i change to 640x480 no AA everything to low (lowest possible) and get 15-25 fps, obviously there is something really wrong whit the game cuz i can play other games like Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, Fallout 3, all in high settings 1024x768 and get a average of 40 fps.

People whit GTX260 - GTX275 are getting 40-60 fps, that is too low for those video cards.

Maybe is because the game is a port from console, alot of games get crappy port, lets hope the final product gets better.
    I just said what the problem was plus I already told you in your thread. just like the OP in this thread its your single core cpu that is the problem. did you even read anything I told or showed you in your thread?
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit || i5 2500K || MSI P67A-G45 || Galaxy GTX570 || G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB 1600 DDR3 || Samsung F3 1TB || HAF 912 case || Antec Neo Eco 520 watt

Originally Posted by trek554
    I just said what the problem was plus I already told you in your thread. just like the OP in this thread its your single core cpu that is the problem. did you even read anything I told or showed you in your thread?
    Yes but look at the OP pc spec, 3.4GHz (2 CPU) and still low fps, well i think that is higher then the minimum system requirements.

im running 2 gtx280 in sli all features maxed. 1680x1050 res and the game runs like water 60+frames constantly. i also have a quad core processor and that really helps alot.

Originally Posted by cignuz
    Yes but look at the OP pc spec, 3.4GHz (2 CPU) and still low fps, well i think that is higher then the minimum system requirements.
    yeah but I just said that regardless of what the min requirements say a single core doesnt cut it for this game. your 3800 A64 is faster than a 3.4 P4 but neither one is really good enough to run many modern games. not only are your single core cpus slow because they are single core they are also very slow clock for clock compared to modern cpus even in single threaded apps. in other words even just one core of a Core 2 duo at just 2.0 would run rings around a 3800 A64 or 3.4 P4. now throw in the fact that almost every modern game utilizes dual cores and your cpu is really holding you back. with a 3.4 P4 or 3800 A64 single core it would be a complete waste of money to have faster card than an 8600gt since even that slow card is being held back.

Originally Posted by ivanils
    im running 2 gtx280 in sli all features maxed. 1680x1050 res and the game runs like water 60+frames constantly. i also have a quad core processor and that really helps alot.
    for the Unreal Engine 3 at 1680 your quad is really no faster clock for clock than a dual core of the same architecture.

While I appreciate the feedback, I am fairly certain my single core is not to blame. I have spoken to another individual with similar specs to mine (slightly better), also on a single core, and he was able to run the game just fine on HIGH settings. It also doesn't account for the fact that I get near identical framerate on LOW settings and on HIGH settings. I am able to run basically games on HIGH settings as long as I turn of shadows.

I also didn't mention that I have the same problem in City of Heroes, which is over five years old, because I didn't think it was relevant.

I also find it hard to believe that the minimum requirements listed would not be sufficient to run the game on LOW settings, especially since my computer pretty significantly surpasses the minimum requirements as listed:

* CPU: Intel single core 3 Ghz or AMD equivalent
    * Memory: XP = 1 GB, Vista = 2GB
    * GPU: Shader Model 3 NVidia 6600 or ATI 1300 or higher

As it stands the game is unplayable. I managed to complete the demo but it took over 30 minutes just because of how slow it ran.

Originally Posted by sabredenton
    While I appreciate the feedback, I am fairly certain my single core is not to blame. I have spoken to another individual with similar specs to mine (slightly better), also on a single core, and he was able to run the game just fine on HIGH settings. It also doesn't account for the fact that I get near identical framerate on LOW settings and on HIGH settings. I am able to run basically games on HIGH settings as long as I turn of shadows.

I also didn't mention that I have the same problem in City of Heroes, which is over five years old, because I didn't think it was relevant.

I also find it hard to believe that the minimum requirements listed would not be sufficient to run the game on LOW settings, especially since my computer pretty significantly surpasses the minimum requirements as listed:

* CPU: Intel single core 3 Ghz or AMD equivalent
    * Memory: XP = 1 GB, Vista = 2GB
    * GPU: Shader Model 3 NVidia 6600 or ATI 1300 or higher

As it stands the game is unplayable. I managed to complete the demo but it took over 30 minutes just because of how slow it ran.
    well its perfectly playable on high settings at 1024x768 with an 8600gt and 4200 X2 but if I turn off one core it drops from 25-40 fps to 15-25 fps. those numbers are comparable to yours and one of my cores is about like your 3.4 P4 so what I said seems pretty accurate.

cignuz Don't blame the game for poor performance. it runs flawlessly on many systems. your cpu is a bottleneck. dual or quad core are the way to go. this game supports multithreading. you guys want to run a state of the art games on old hardware. its just not gonna happen.

Originally Posted by Inzane
    cignuz Don't blame the game for poor performance. it runs flawlessly on many systems. your cpu is a bottleneck. dual or quad core are the way to go. this game supports multithreading. you guys want to run a state of the art games on old hardware. its just not gonna happen.
    while I agree, the min requirements should reflect the fact that a dual core is really needed. he simply looked at what is required just to run the game and he does exceed those so I see why he is a little flustered.

Originally Posted by trek554
    for the Unreal Engine 3 at 1680 your quad is really no faster clock for clock than a dual core of the same architecture.
    thats all fine and dandy!! game still runs superb.

Just a FYI to anyone trying to run games with min specs. Its never worked in the past and it won't in the future. The games will run on min spec, but run like crap. you should have your specs more in the middle. I agree they should correct that in the requirements. thay also seem a bit low to standards these days, They are also tweeking the pc version so in the end it will reflect their min requirments. cignuz I am sorry your having problems. All we want to do here is help you out.