Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Is the physics still included?

Is the physics still included?

Is the physics still included?

From all the video footage I have seen on the game play, I have not seen some of the most enthralling features of the first two deus ex games. The physics, items furniture, etc... this was a compelling feature of the first two games. I would be heart broken to see this left out, as it would just not feel like a worthy successor to the originals. I had so much fun making make shift barricades from chairs plants and any object I could pick up to aid me in battles. this level of persistence created a world of realism for me, even for the originals age it still has some interesting concepts that developers overlook today.

I may be a bit to nostalgic about this, having played Deus ex 1 and 2 and then the penumbra series. I have come to find a level of interactivity with my game world to be a must. Sadly this will be a make or break for me, if I am to continue supporting this series

We don't know how much stuff you can actually move in he world, but the game has physics and you will be able to do some cool stuff with it. One of the previews already mentioned moving turrets around for example.

Originally Posted by VectorM
    We don't know how much stuff you can actually move in he world, but the game has physics and you will be able to do some cool stuff with it. One of the previews already mentioned moving turrets around for example.
    Not to mention moving cover. That was an instant plus for me. I don't think it will be a concern at all, we'll probably have plenty of items to interact with in the game-world.

Originally Posted by Kvltism
    Not to mention moving cover. That was an instant plus for me. I don't think it will be a concern at all, we'll probably have plenty of items to interact with in the game-world.
    I do have high hopes, this is my favorite series, rpg fps. I will wait till I have some hands on with a demo before a final verdict.

There's some physics, but less interactive objects than in DX. Also, rocket-resistant cardboard boxes FTW.

If you watched the trailers, you have seen some physics. Lots of moving boxes for cover dragging bodies, an even a box throwing attack. The game has physics. We don't know if you can move chairs or couches though.

Something just struck me!

In the penthouse trailer, we see Adam first person meleeing a cardboard box into a guard while holding the assault rifle.

I wonder if this move can be done on guards directly. That would mean first person melee is in the game and we have been arguing about nothing all along

Edit: It's more like a push than a melee attack, still wondering though. Maybe we can push guards off rooftops?

^^ Or if there is only one of them you can keep pushing him into a corner, until your battery recharges to do a takedown...

sadly this sounds too cool to be true.

Originally Posted by Kodaemon
    There's some physics, but less interactive objects than in DX.
    can you source this?

Originally Posted by BigBoss
    can you source this?
    many 24 feb previews talk about throwing objects at npc's.
    Also, gameplay trailers.

Originally Posted by Zakka
    many 24 feb previews talk about throwing objects at npc's.
    Also, gameplay trailers.
    Well since all those reviews talk about the exact same 20 minutes of gameplay, I only read one or two. Which trailer was specifically used to demonstrate object interactivity? I must have missed that one.

Originally Posted by BigBoss
    can you source this?
    Let me hit you with some sauce.
    Originally Posted by Dugas
    In that sense, since we're going with a very detailed art direction, and we push the envelope in terms of the world art, there are not as many physics objects as in the first game. In the first game, basically everything was a physics object. But we do still have those, and you still can play with them, and figure out ways to use them as weapons or whatever you want.
    Rule 30: A little trust goes a long way. The less you use, the further you'll go.

thanks!

Hmm that's interesting, if you can throw an object as a weapon, it must presumably have collision. But when carrying objects, it appears not to have collision, like DX1. So how would you carry something and use it to push an NPC I am not sure.

There's some interaction in the Penthouse trailer. He moves a box to access a vent early on in the trailer.
    signature image

Originally Posted by Dugas
    In that sense, since we're going with a very detailed art direction, and we push the envelope in terms of the world art, there are not as many physics objects as in the first game. In the first game, basically everything was a physics object. But we do still have those, and you still can play with them, and figure out ways to use them as weapons or whatever you want.
    Bollocks!! If this Dugas wanted to push the envelope he should be a bloody mailman!! And all this is just sweet talking, when he's actually saying that we are all being denied interaction with most IF NOT almost ALL environment> therefore, we are actually being denied with choice which is the essence and the crucial part of DX in general!! Less than DX?? Less than game that was published a decade ago!!!? What if I want to do some zyme and go play some goddamn basketball in the ghetto!?? WHAT THEN?? Do I go and climb some ladders and watch my ass just because I CAN?!! Just like melee, that is being totally crippled leaving us no other choice but the developers one, they tried to compensate that fact with that godforsaken "one-button cut scene" moment thinking that we are all 10 year olds that can settle with "eye candy"....

Originally Posted by oscarMike
    Bollocks!! If this Dugas wanted to push the envelope he should be a bloody mailman!! And all this is just sweet talking, when he's actually saying that we are all being denied interaction with most IF NOT almost ALL environment> therefore, we are actually being denied with choice which is the essence and the crucial part of DX in general!! Less than DX?? Less than game that was published a decade ago!!!? What if I want to do some zyme and go play some goddamn basketball in the ghetto!?? WHAT THEN?? Do I go and climb some ladders and watch my ass just because I CAN?!! Just like melee, that is being totally crippled leaving us no other choice but the developers one, they tried to compensate that fact with that godforsaken "one-button cut scene" moment thinking that we are all 10 year olds that can settle with "eye candy"....
    I like you!

oscarMike, chill. Sounds like you're working yourself up a bit too much.
    Make a cup of tea. Enjoy a nice cheddar. Always bring a towel.

Originally Posted by Jerion
    oscarMike, chill. Sounds like you're working yourself up a bit too much.
    How tha hell can I chill when Dugas WONT let me acquire zyme and go around the corner to play some basketball with homeless people!!!??

Hmmm. Well, hmm. I... No. Better not to say.

From PC GAMER:

"It’s one of those games where you can use almost everything – turn on taps, flush urinals, pick up plants and throw them at people. NPCs don’t react to stuff hitting them in the head, unless of course it’s big enough to maim them."

Sounds like there is a lot of physically-reactive objects.
    ...a million bureaucrats are diligently plotting death and some of them even know it.
    -Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow.

Perhaps then what Dugas meant was that [relative to total number of objects] "...there are not as many physics objects as in the first game. In the first game, basically everything was a physics object. But we do still have those, and you still can play with them, and figure out ways to use them as weapons or whatever..."

That fits, really, given the sheer amount of environmental detail in DX:HR.

What I'm wondering is if I can throw objects to distract enemies with the noise

Originally Posted by Zakka
    What I'm wondering is if I can throw objects to distract enemies with the noise
    "NPCs don’t react to stuff hitting them in the head, unless of course it’s big enough to maim them."

Like what?? A couch?.. or a TV? Considering this fact I sincerely doubt they will react to sound around them... Although it would be a great option to manipulate the environment and NPC's with sound distraction.. But then again, it would be also great to have actual choice with melee and not being forced into that godawful repetitive "cinematic experience"...

All bull aside, bottom line is people that have actually played the game said that they are pretty amazed with NPC's, their abilities, and level of interaction toward the player, which is enough for me!.. I guess...

Originally Posted by oscarMike
    How tha hell can I chill when Dugas WONT let me acquire zyme and go around the corner to play some basketball with homeless people!!!??
    Not sure if serious. So, Dugas will not let you use a CONSUMABLE and he won't let you play with an obviously interactive object?

And your entire rant was stupid.

Will I be able to pick all pieces of junk and different stuff just like in DX1 and use them to distract enemies or do something else with it?
    You'll be able to use different types of boxes to distract NPCs indeed. If you're referring to things like a pencil or a glass the answer is no. We have a very detailed and rich world to discover so we had to make some tradeoffs in terms of the scope of interactive objects in order to keep a smooth framerate.
    we had to make some tradeoffs in terms of the scope of interactive objects in order to keep a smooth framerate.
    in order to keep a smooth framerate.
    thanks consoles
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1554/deusexhumanrevolutionna.jpg
    the best dx hr screenshot there is no one has seen it!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last