PDA

View Full Version : Does someone else think they should cut down on graphics in the new game?

TheMe
14th Jul 2009, 15:23
Hello! I'm really exicted about the new game. Even though it may be a little creepy... hehe!
I play my tomb raider games on PC. My computer isn't that a good game computer. So when i got TRU it ran reeeeeaaallyyy bad. So is it only me or do other people that TR9 should have a little crappier graphics than TRU?

miss.aod
14th Jul 2009, 15:30
I agree!
imo the better the graphics have gotten, the worse the storylines and gameplay has gotten. We don't need tutorials and to be led the whole way through the games!
But yeah back on topic, I think they should concentrate more on improving the games via the storyline/gameplay rather than the graphics.
(Ideally i'd like them to go back in time to the TRAOD graphics - that was my favourite game in the series and favourite Lara too =D but that's just me xD)

Sir Richard Croft
14th Jul 2009, 15:33
Well, I don't think that the graphics need to get better, but I liked them to remain as they are. You could always reduce pixels.

My dog Max
14th Jul 2009, 15:36
No...

But,they could give the PC players an option like in Legend

Flintmelody
14th Jul 2009, 15:49
Yes definately. Improved graphics give shorter games. I would rather have a longer game than better graphics.

Great graphics are also difficult for PC versions and quite often make the game more glitchy making it worse rather than better.

IvanaKC
14th Jul 2009, 16:44
Noooo. I want even better graphics. I'll rather buy new computer than play old fashioned classic Tomb Raiders. I hate oldies because of graphics.

And I agree with my dog max. 2 options

Milady Murderer
14th Jul 2009, 16:51
I loved the graphics now, but i play on the xbox360, so for pc users, perhaps.
But a game that you can beat in under 24 hours (underworld), I'd like the new game to take at least a week to complete.

Treeble
14th Jul 2009, 21:25
I think they should just give us a time machine instead.

_Love2Raid_
14th Jul 2009, 21:29
This is nonsense! Why would they make a game below their potential only for people who canĀ“t upgrade, and therefore fall behind the competition, which will lead to horrible sales and the downfall of the series? :confused:

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

Error96_
14th Jul 2009, 23:43
For me it's gameplay over graphics. TRU had the best graphics but in total hours spent playing the games TRU is the least for me. Amazing graphics just don't cover up weak gameplay. TRL showed a good mix of graphics and gameplay but TRU was too much fancy graphics and not enough put into rest of the game.

I think there should be a lower graphics option for PC users and overall a general shift from a foccus on graphics to more foccus gameplay in the next TR.

Wlado.Srbija
15th Jul 2009, 00:31
I agree with Her dog Max! I mean, yes, you can turn off the shadows in TRU, but everything is TOO BRIGHT!!! In TRL you can select having shadows and next-gen material, but if you don't, you still have artificial lighting (which is - caves are still dark, even though there aren't any projected shadows to darken it, and stuff like that, you get my point), while in TRU if you turn off the shadows everything is too bright, it burns your eyes for Gods sake!

Max 28
15th Jul 2009, 01:17
Umm, no just keep it as it is. (Speaking from a console gamer's point of view Mwuahahaha! :p)

Pulse
15th Jul 2009, 08:49
There are games with graphics better than Underworld's and they're longer. So if we keep Underworld graphics (mayber improved upon) shouldn't we also be able to have a very lenghty game?

andrew90
15th Jul 2009, 10:06
I love a game with beautiful graphics. tru has great graphics but the next tr should have even better graphics. I rather buy a new pc than to play a low graphics tr game. Have you seen the cryengine 3, it's a graphics engine developer. check it out and tell me you wouldn't like the next tr game to have graphics like that! (http://pc.ign.com/dor/articles/965172/gdc-09-cryengine-3-in-motion/videos/cryengine3_trl_032309.html ). If the game has great graphics that doesn't mean it has to have a bad or short story. they need to take their time and do it right, since this is a reboot it suppose to make it better, so, I hope they will.
final conclusion:I hope the graphics on this new tr will be the best out of all!

LARALOVERnr1
15th Jul 2009, 10:07
You can also set the graphics to low.

d1n0_xD
15th Jul 2009, 10:10
Yo people,it isn't all about the graphics...I mean,I'm not saying there shouldn't be great graphics...Underworld's graphics are great and they should stick to that...Gameplay and story are very important for the game ;)

LARALOVERnr1
15th Jul 2009, 10:14
Yo people,it isn't all about the graphics...I mean,I'm not saying there shouldn't be great graphics...Underworld's graphics are great and they should stick to that...Gameplay and story are very important for the game ;)
yeah, that's exacly the right TR-game formula!:thumb:

Pulse
15th Jul 2009, 10:57
Graphics are massively important into attracting people to games. Developers are always going to try and have better graphics than the next guy. I'd love to see better graphics in the next TR.

I'd love it if TR9 looked like Cry Engine 3. It's amazing!

Jurre
15th Jul 2009, 15:37
I personaly have a love for 2006 grafics (Legend, Hitman Blood Money, Call of Duty 2) I don't know why, it somehow looks so much more cozy then the grafics from 2007/8/9.
But the evolution of grafics is something that can't be stopped...

LC is Me
15th Jul 2009, 23:19
No.

Ants_27_
16th Jul 2009, 16:47
Yes I want better story-lines and gameplay. I'm sorry but graphics are at the bottom of the list to make a game great, story being top and gameplay following.

Of course that is my opinion!

Doesn't it depend on budget really?

I mean didn't mgs 4 cost something like $40 million? If that is the case then it'll probably come down to budget. I'm probably wrong so please, feel free to ignore me:lol:

jayjay119
16th Jul 2009, 17:31
For the sake of the competition in games these day i think the graphics do need to get better otherwise the game will just be slated from the get go. There is no reason why great graphics and good gameplay can't co-exist. Its all about the money, time and will the developers have!

tombraidergal
16th Jul 2009, 18:12
I dunno really. They do work too hard on graphics it's gotten ridiculous!

LC is Me
17th Jul 2009, 00:57
Am I the only one who thinks that saying CD working on the graphics too much is...stupid?
[[No offense or anything...]]

Sure, graphics shouldn't be the MAIN concern, but really...come on now.

Dusk Knight
17th Jul 2009, 03:50
Graphics are quite important if the next TR is going to be competitive. They don't necessarily hold back other aspects of the game, either. Probably the best example I know of for this is Mass Effect. It's one of the best looking games I've played and it also has one of the most immersive and interesting stories I've experienced in a game. This game can also be very long (50+ hours) depending on how you play. Bethesda games like Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (and Fallout 3, but I haven't played it) also standout in this respect. Oblivion looks great, plays great, and you can get lost in it for literally hundreds of hours.

See what upgrades your PC can handle. It might be less expensive than you think. My old Nvidia GeForce 6800 died a few months ago and for about $70 US dollars I replaced it with an ATI Radeon HD 4670. I didn't even have to upgrade the power supply. Load times aren't great because of the older components, but TRU's graphics run at a higher resolution and framerate than on PS3. It was painful trying to run it on the 6800.

Ants_27_
17th Jul 2009, 09:08
This is pretty much what I said before but I think that they should spend all resources on story and gameplay and then what's left spend on graphics.

Or in a similar order.

Flintmelody
17th Jul 2009, 13:15
This is pretty much what I said before but I think that they should spend all resources on story and gameplay and then what's left spend on graphics.

Or in a similar order.

Well said. I absolutely agree

rg_001100
18th Jul 2009, 09:11
Am I the only one who thinks that saying CD working on the graphics too much is...stupid?
[[No offense or anything...]]

Sure, graphics shouldn't be the MAIN concern, but really...come on now.

Would you be prepared to pay full-price for a game on your 360/PS3/Next-Gen PC that had the graphical quality of TR1? TR4/5? TR:L? TR:U? (Yes, TR:U's graphics were good, but in 5 years time I don't think they will be of the same relative standard).
Would you then prefer to spend the exact same amount of money on a game that is just as fun, but with better graphics so you can see things better?
I think it's a shame that there's such a focus on graphics, when aspects such as gameplay and story suffer because of this. The biggest effect that high-end graphics has on games, though, is length...

...This game can also be very long (50+ hours) depending on how you play....

..50+ hours is insane to expect from a next-gen action game, unless it is heavily tied into RPG elements, or is mind-numbingly repetitive. (or it has no saves whatsoever and demands the player complete the game all in one go. Fun). CD's TR games are so much shorter than Core's; that's not because CD are a lazy dev team compared to Core, but because CD's levels are built for a much more complex engine. (Things aren't made of big blocks).

Max 28
18th Jul 2009, 11:08
(or it has no saves whatsoever and demands the player complete the game all in one go. Fun).

Fun? What for people with no lives?! C'mon that's ridiculous! We could only expect losers wih fat buts to sit around and play through a game that's as long as we want TR to be. I couldn't play a game like that cause I (like I would hope most people) have other things to do than sit around in front of a screen playing a game. Plus It's unhealthy. :p

Or were you being sarcatsic? :lol:

Wlado.Srbija
18th Jul 2009, 20:05
He was being sarcastic

:lol:

rg_001100
18th Jul 2009, 20:31
Yeah, the "fun" bit was sarcastic... but technically not letting the player save progress at all in the game would lengthen the play time significantly if the player was determined to finish the game. (For "full" games like PS3/360/PC games, it's a really bad idea but it's what some web-games will do if only because saving progress is harder to do).

Milady Murderer
18th Jul 2009, 20:42
Bethesda games like Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (and Fallout 3, but I haven't played it) also standout in this respect. Oblivion looks great, plays great, and you can get lost in it for literally hundreds of hours.

Yes, well with the downside of Oblivion, is when you play the game for over 500 hours on one character the game freaks out. The graphics are extremely slow, so slow that you cannot play it correctly. Its called an A-bomb or glitch of doom.

So even if they were to create a Tomb Raider game, with extremely amazing graphics, and a long gameplay that is non-repetitive (like Assassin's Creed), then there will be quite a bit of trouble making sure the game will run perfectly smoothly from beginning to end, which with many games that i've spent a long time with is quite difficult.

Incredible Graphics, and a Long game isn't really a good combo, unless you have a very powerful engine and the system specs to play it (if you use a pc), which many people cannot spend money on.

jayjay119
18th Jul 2009, 21:19
Would you be prepared to pay full-price for a game on your 360/PS3/Next-Gen PC that had the graphical quality of TR1? TR4/5? TR:L? TR:U? (Yes, TR:U's graphics were good, but in 5 years time I don't think they will be of the same relative standard).
Would you then prefer to spend the exact same amount of money on a game that is just as fun, but with better graphics so you can see things better?
I think it's a shame that there's such a focus on graphics, when aspects such as gameplay and story suffer because of this. The biggest effect that high-end graphics has on games, though, is length...

I agree and i think think the case of TRU on PS3 and PS2 is a good supporting argument. The amount of fuss that was kicked upover how bad the graphics were on the PS2 version in comparison with the PS3 version, and how similar the prices were was a big thing not so long ago. I doubt Cd would put themselves in a position to be critisized right from the off!

Andy64
18th Jul 2009, 23:22
I think it's a shame that there's such a focus on graphics, when aspects such as gameplay and story suffer because of this. The biggest effect that high-end graphics has on games, though, is length

Better graphics are generally going to be a good thing. The problem comes when making the graphics great causes other aspects of the game to suffer. TRU had incredible graphics but maybe was a bit 'hollow shell' when you got to play it. Clearly CD put too much effort in to the graphics and no where near enough into story or gameplay. I do think more needs to be put into story and gameplay in future TR's rather than graphics.

Next gen game length is always going to be a problem. You pay the money and then finish it in a couple of days so It's not good value for money. High replayability like TRL can some what avoid it. A bit more Core style lever/key puzzles spread around a level would also help. Next gen can be given as a reson for shorter games but it's sad that games can't be half as long as 10 years ago.

Max 28
19th Jul 2009, 02:16
He was being sarcastic

:lol:

Yeah, the "fun" bit was sarcastic... but technically not letting the player save progress at all in the game would lengthen the play time significantly if the player was determined to finish the game. (For "full" games like PS3/360/PC games, it's a really bad idea but it's what some web-games will do if only because saving progress is harder to do).

Yeah, I kinda got that at the end of my rant. :p But yeah ridiculous. :lol:

Dusk Knight
19th Jul 2009, 03:32
..50+ hours is insane to expect from a next-gen action game, unless it is heavily tied into RPG elements, or is mind-numbingly repetitive. (or it has no saves whatsoever and demands the player complete the game all in one go. Fun). CD's TR games are so much shorter than Core's; that's not because CD are a lazy dev team compared to Core, but because CD's levels are built for a much more complex engine. (Things aren't made of big blocks).
Mass Effect is heavily tied into RPG elements. It's the mountains of dialogue (which TR doesn't need), and the so called "cookie cutter" side quests (some say they're too repetitive, but it doesn't bother me) that make it that long.

On the other hand, someone making a conscious effort to rush the dialogue and skip all the side quests can finish the game in a little over 10 hours. So it's probably not possible to make a good game that long without a a fair amount of skippable RPG padding.

Yes, well with the downside of Oblivion, is when you play the game for over 500 hours on one character the game freaks out. The graphics are extremely slow, so slow that you cannot play it correctly. Its called an A-bomb or glitch of doom.

So even if they were to create a Tomb Raider game, with extremely amazing graphics, and a long gameplay that is non-repetitive (like Assassin's Creed), then there will be quite a bit of trouble making sure the game will run perfectly smoothly from beginning to end, which with many games that i've spent a long time with is quite difficult.

Incredible Graphics, and a Long game isn't really a good combo, unless you have a very powerful engine and the system specs to play it (if you use a pc), which many people cannot spend money on.
I heard about that problem on the console versions (after about 200 hours or so) and that it's supposedly fixed on the PC version. I don't think I could play one game for that long though. Oblivion is kind of an extreme example, and it's another case where the main quest can be finished in a small fraction of that time. It's all the side-quests and the huge open world that make it so long.

I think if CD is going for an open world freeroam like the leaked info suggests, it will be possible to increase the playtime with extra things to find (treasure, weapons, upgrades, etc.) and places to explore, even with significantly better graphics. It depends on how much time they have to add this sort of thing without sacrificing the overall quality of the game. I hope they do have enough time, but if the past is any indication, then probably not...

Ants_27_
20th Jul 2009, 15:31
I think if CD is going for an open world freeroam like the leaked info suggests, it will be possible to increase the playtime with extra things to find (treasure, weapons, upgrades, etc.) and places to explore, even with significantly better graphics. It depends on how much time they have to add this sort of thing without sacrificing the overall quality of the game. I hope they do have enough time, but if the past is any indication, then probably not...

That is what bothers me, I mean Underworld was full of invisible walls and ledges as if they gave up and that was just on linear levels, what will an open world be like?:mad2:

I think graphics will always be better for exclusive games because games like Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 will have Sony backing them and funding them, like Alan Wake and Gears of war has Microsoft funding them (At least I think they do).

Katie_Fleming
20th Jul 2009, 15:37
For me, it would be nice to have the graphics leveled out for the simple fact I don't have a PC that can even run TRU - I've been having to go to someone's computer once a week to play. It's a huge bummer not being able to afford a system that can run it - and while consoles are obviously the way to go (money wise) I've been a PC person forever, so...

On the other hand technology is increasing all the time, and PC's have to be able to keep up with the consoles. If you level out the graphics for the next couple of games they would be hit hard and criticized for not keeping up with other games.

chriss_99
20th Jul 2009, 15:41
I know exactly what you mean Katie. I had the same problem, though I managed to save some money for a new graphic card for TRU.
Now I'm starting to wonder if I have to update my PC again for the upcoming TR9, I hope not. ;)