PDA

View Full Version : City Levels: Good or Bad

Pulse
4th Jul 2009, 22:10
Please answer the question.:thumb:

In my opinon, I love 'em :D so I voted for a few in the next game. I want a really long game so 2-3 city levels would be okay with me.

d1n0_xD
4th Jul 2009, 22:25
Please answer the question.:thumb:

In my opinon, I love 'em :D so I voted for a few in the next game. I want a really long game so 2-3 city levels would be okay with me.

Me too...There were few in Legend and I liked them...Japan,England(sort of)...but all we need is a longer game and so,more different levels :D

chriss_99
4th Jul 2009, 22:30
Yes. One level is a nice break from Tombs.

I think it's nice to have a city level but one is enough. I prefer Lara to stay in tombs, that's the environment she likes the most :D

rg_001100
4th Jul 2009, 22:49
So long as there are also puzzles and traps to solve, I don't think a city level is a horrible idea. Tombs and other ancient, unexplored sites are going to hold more wonder/amazement that a city could, I would think, though I don't think city levels ruin TR. (TR:3's London levels are a good example of this).
(I put this opinion under the catergory "I don't really care").

angelus0901
4th Jul 2009, 22:58
I voted No... I just love Lara exploring new areas never seen by people hidden deep in the jungles of the world... I just love them...

Flintmelody
4th Jul 2009, 23:00
Some of my fav levels are city levels. TR2 venice, TR3 London, TRL Japan. If they have some rooftop jumping and combat then don't think puzzles are needed in city levels. I love them in that they are grapics wise a break from the tombs. The 3 examples I stated above prove that they can be every bit as good as tomb levels. I am not saying go AOD and have tons of city levels but certainly some city levels should be there.

Rexie
5th Jul 2009, 07:14
As long as it's cleverly made, not just linear and you see the path without thinking.

rg_001100
5th Jul 2009, 09:19
As long as it's cleverly made, not just linear and you see the path without thinking.

QFT. :cool:

I would also add that so long as it's not just going around talking to prostitutes and raiding in cafes...

Max 28
5th Jul 2009, 10:32
Yep, I really enjoy the city levels. So I vote I would like to see a few in the next game. I'm hoping there's quite a lot of levels so a few city levels should be fine with all the tombs. :)

I would also add that so long as it's not just going around talking to prostitutes and raiding in cafes...

"Move along Ma'chere, you make the place look crowded."
(I think my French spelling let me down there. :p)

Mr Croft
5th Jul 2009, 10:37

I agree.

LARALOVERnr1
5th Jul 2009, 10:54
Japan(Legend) was a cool level. I voted for 1 a game.

tombraidergal
5th Jul 2009, 12:23
i loved them, japan was excellent... i know kazakhstan wasn't exactly one but it was kinda like one. fingers crossed there are some in next game.

Andy64
5th Jul 2009, 12:47
Japan was my fav in Legend. Brill lervel. City levels can look real good and should be used in future TR's.

jayjay119
5th Jul 2009, 13:06

I agree, they're good levels as long as they serve a purpose. The Parisian Ghetto section in AOD was just boring as heck, although there were section within such as Le serpant rouge and the graveyard to Bouchard's hideout that were nice to play. The Louvre section was quite interesting. The London levels of TR3, as RG says are a good example of this good gameplay, they were a nice change of pace for the game and they were just as complex and difficult to navigate as the tombs. I wasn't really a fan of Japan in Legend, i dunno why i think it was too linear and didn't provide much of a challenge or atmosphere like other city levels have!

pinpal
5th Jul 2009, 14:20
Yes they need to add variety.

RaiderGirl#1
5th Jul 2009, 21:20
I voted for one city level, but i'd really be fine with 2 or so.
just as long as the city makes sense, and is as someone else said earlier, cleverly planned out. kept interesting.
i'd love to see a variety in the levels :)

MissJess
5th Jul 2009, 23:12
Yes, One level is a nice break from tombs.

As long as it's filled with just as much puzzles/traps as the tombs, its alright to me. Plus I like Lara to wear the catsuit in city levels. :gamer:

rg_001100
6th Jul 2009, 01:16
Plus I like Lara to wear the catsuit in city levels. :gamer:

lol :D

Max 28
6th Jul 2009, 02:51
City levels would work well as a sandbox level for a change. Like she had to go meet someone, pick up some weaponry or gadgets, you know but you choose where you go and what you do first. I think this is easier and more effective to implement into a city level. City levels fit even less being lineir whether a tomp is supposed to take you somewhere specific.

Dusk Knight
6th Jul 2009, 07:19
I like city levels particularly if they end somewhere ancient.

Like the Tomb of the Ancients under the Louvre. I guess that seems a bit less plausible than out in the unexplored jungle, but I like it. The National Treasure movies are kind of like this with the greatest secrets being right under everyone's nose.

Regular city levels like Japan are okay for a change of pace. I do like the idea of a sandbox city level.

jayjay119
6th Jul 2009, 13:40
I don't like the idea of a sandbox level either, I can imagine it getting quite GTA-ish. I hope in the next game, CD go back to the section style of Legend and Anniversary, but more anniversary with 3 or 4 levels in one location. I think if there were 3 or 4 levels set in a city, each with a different are and theme like there was in TR3 it would be really interesting to play.

Flintmelody
6th Jul 2009, 14:03
I don't like the idea of a sandbox level either, I can imagine it getting quite GTA-ish. I hope in the next game, CD go back to the section style of Legend and Anniversary, but more anniversary with 3 or 4 levels in one location. I think if there were 3 or 4 levels set in a city, each with a different are and theme like there was in TR3 it would be really interesting to play.

Like those ideas alot.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
13th Jul 2009, 13:13
Hope the island is going to have a town/city on it Lol.

chriss_99
13th Jul 2009, 13:16
It will propably be a zombie village :D

IvanaKC
13th Jul 2009, 16:20
city levels are something new and good in TR. I really liked Japan.

Ants_27_
13th Jul 2009, 16:39
I voted yes. The whole idea of having say one or two (tops) city levels is a good idea because it seems to make Lara that bit more believable (not that she isn't already).

I think it reinforces the idea that Lara doesn't just go in tombs and the world just doesn't consist of tombs.