PDA

View Full Version : un-understood things

Quied
2nd Jul 2009, 18:07
hi there are dialogue or other certain things that i did not understand and i could not find thread of this sort earlier so i am posting new one besides i dont lke waisting time in search much . if you could help here some.

what means V.O: when ever some one is mumbling it appears in start like kain onc place said

Kain V.O.:
Given the choice - whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire, or to challenge the Fates for another throw, a better throw against one's destiny - what was a king to do?

and due do lack of my understanding of english i did not get what this means

Faustus:
What is our kind? In serving the Sarafan I have protection - I have power. And who better to hunt down a vampire than a more powerful vampire? History is written by the winners, Kain. That is my kind.

this is part of BO2 i can paste all dialogue which took place between kain and faustus

i did not understand the meaning of who better to .... if you could use it in a different sentence then please help here

also same kind of figure is used in soul reaver 1
here it is

Kain:
How could I not? One must keep his friends close, Raziel, and his enemies
even closer. Can you grasp the absurd beauty of the paradox? We are the same,
Sarafan and vampire. With our holy wars, our obsession with Nosgoth's
domination, who better to serve me than those whose passion transcends all
notions of good and evil?

RainaAudron
2nd Jul 2009, 19:08
V.O. means it is a soliloquy - internal speech of a character.

"and who better to..." it means who is more suitable than me.

you do understand good, better, the best relationship, do you? better is a comparative of good.

Quied
4th Jul 2009, 18:15
"and who better to..." it means who is more suitable than me.

thanx i understnad what better is. but if your explanation is taken every where then i still cant understand "who better to serve me" in
Kain:
How could I not? One must keep his friends close, Raziel, and his enemies
even closer. Can you grasp the absurd beauty of the paradox? We are the same,
Sarafan and vampire. With our holy wars, our obsession with Nosgoth's
domination, who better to serve me than those whose passion transcends all notions of good and evil?

thanx with V.O: i understnad it is like mumbling and it is prologue right ? but i did not understand what stands for V and O in V.O
still very thanx for answring

FearGhoul
5th Jul 2009, 01:41
V.O. is "Voice Over". Pretty much just the character narrating what you see. It could either be that the character is thinking that at the time, or it suggests that the character is looking back on the event you see from a future point, like if you were telling a story from your life to someone.
As for the "Who better to serve me" thing, let's take Kain's line "Who better to serve me than those whose passion transends all notions of 'good' and 'evil'." What he means is, what better choice of servents to have than these Sarafan who were fanatical and blindly loyal to their cause? The Sarafan that he raised were as humans were single minded and obssessed with their cause, and so when raised as Vampires, they would still have those traits. Also, he raised them because he loved the irony of these Sarafan becoming Vampires, which in life they hated so much.
So in Faustus's line, he says "And who better to hunt down a vampire than a more powerful vampire?" What he means is that if Vampires are really powerful and hard to kill, then it's better to have a more powerful Vampire to hunt down other Vampires.
Does this help answer your questions?