PDA

View Full Version : to all members: reporting threads as spam

Driber
1st Jul 2009, 06:28
Hey guys, I noticed that frequently the same threads get reported as spam by several different users, which is kind of pointless and only add up to our work of checking every report.

Can the first person who sees a spam thread and who is about to report it as spam, please post a little notice "reported" in that thread, so that your fellow members then read that and don't have to do the same thing.

Having said that, I want to again thank every member who is reporting these spam threads, it is really making the job of your moderators more efficient and we're able to nip those lame advertisers in the bud because of you :thumb:

theBlackman
1st Jul 2009, 09:00
:thumb:Good idea. I'll comply willingly.:thumb:

PoorBison
1st Jul 2009, 09:24
I'm sure everyone will comply willingly, good idea Driber!

The spam shall not prevail! When I moderated a forum the users eventually gave up reporting the spam as after a while it took only an hour or so before an entire page was filled with it. That forum has shut down now, hopefully when they bring the site back up it will have a better forum, and I'll get a much easier time as a mod...

Lo
1st Jul 2009, 10:11
Maybe I missed something but I think what Driber means is that by jotting down a memo in said spammy thread to say you've reported it just alerts other members that it's being dealt with so he and other staff don't get oodles of reports from differing members all reporting the same thread.

I usually advise people not to reply to nasty spam threads and this idea should also prevent any objectional and additional comments - because if someone spots an advertiser in full flow we don't want to drown out the memo from one of us saying we've reported it otherwise we'll be back to square one :lol:

Anyway, I'm in, Driber. Also willing to oblige if I'm ever first on the scene :thumb:

RuumTaedor
1st Jul 2009, 12:26
"Reported as spam."

Just practicing. The times I reported spam, I did not post anything in a spam thread. I can imagine that if you had several diligent members who did not reply in a spam thread and reported it, you mods would have to check each report to confirm they were all referring to the same spam. I think it's a good idea that we have an official preferred way to deal with spam threads that will make dealing with spam more efficient for the mods.

chip5541
1st Jul 2009, 13:14
Great idea. I use it elsewhere and it works well.

I also want to give a big kudos to those that have been helping us by reporting spam and other issues.

CaptainMcMulla
1st Jul 2009, 14:00
hey i just noticed if you spell 'spam' out backwards then you get 'maps' :lol:

_Love2Raid_
1st Jul 2009, 17:19
Makes a lot of sense. :)

I will next time! :thumb:

BLOWHARD
2nd Jul 2009, 01:40
I still like the Monty Python Spam song myself ;) :lol:

RuumTaedor
2nd Jul 2009, 01:56
^^ Reported as spam hehe ^^

I'll have to see if I can find that skit, as it's been ages.

Edit: Yep, fasted gun in the West.

Driber
2nd Jul 2009, 06:32
thanks guys

Driber
11th Sep 2009, 10:37
some threads are still being reported double, so here's a *bump* for all the new members :)

WCookie
11th Sep 2009, 11:47
Good idea! :)
I'll start doing it too :thumb:

Lo
11th Sep 2009, 15:06
I nearly reported one yesterday - there were a few spam threads from the same member but a moderator had already reported one of the threads and when I noticed the second I realised that the member responsible had already been banned from Eidos so there was no need.

(Banned members read *Abandonware* below their usernames just so new members can familiarise themselves with the term) ;)

Driber
25th Jan 2013, 08:52
We just received 4 identical reports on the same spammer, so here's another thread bump, for our newer members :)

ATunTe
25th Jan 2013, 11:33
Read, agreed upon, and signed, good Sir.

Ben

Elliot Kane
25th Jan 2013, 15:42
Can you turn off flood control to make this possible to do in a reasonable time?

Or is there some way of turning it off for, say, people of Gamer status or above?

tipto
27th Jan 2013, 20:23
I would report such a thing as well! But I have a question...

Why did they call it spam in the FIRST PLACE???

I LIKE SPAM! Ya slice it thin, fry it up with eggs and toast...
It's really good!

"Spam" (the truly unidentifiable meatlike substance) has gotten a bad rap!

Driber
27th Jan 2013, 21:21
Heh, I eat spam for breakfast :D

http://driber.net/extras/os/spacman.gif

---

@EK: Unfortunately, the post report flood time is tied with the regular post flood time, so we can't change these settings independently.

Does it happen often for you that you want to report several threads that were made by completely different usernames?

RuumTaedor
27th Jan 2013, 22:25
Tipto, not sure if this is 100% accurate, but I believe that the naming of never-ending irrelevant or advertising emails or posts are credited to the Monty Python Spam skit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Driber, related to Elliot's question, there are times where there is one spammer that posts multiple threads. Is it then sufficient to report one thread? I've tried to report all threads, but the report flood time makes this impractical. This would mean that whomever tends to the reported post will check for all threads from the member. Does that sound right?

Elliot Kane
27th Jan 2013, 22:43
Driber,

I've mainly had the same problem as Ruum, with multiple threads by one spammer. It's quite rare to get two or more in the same place who can be reported within a minute of each other. It HAS happened, though. I am fairly sure there were three on one occasion.

My normal method is to open all suspect threads at once, then hit 'Report' for those which turn out to be genuine spam. Sometimes that means a time between attempts to report of around 20 seconds, if that. Writing 'Spammer', hitting send, hitting the next 'report' button is a pretty speedy process.

Also waiting for flood control on every thread so I can write 'Repped' underneath it just hits 'Terminal Boredom' very, very fast.

The_Hylden
28th Jan 2013, 07:26
The other caveat to turning off flood control on these things is, spammers, or trolls, can decide to use that as aggravation, too. By just spamming us with reported messages.

We've already had trolls who do this. It would be worse without the flood controls on.

Ruum Taedor is correct about the origin, according to Merriam-Webster's dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spam) and other dictionary definitions coming up. Amazing, isn't it?

Elliot Kane
28th Jan 2013, 07:36
This is why I was hoping it could be turned off for people of Gamer status or above rather than more generally, Hylden.

That would stop spammers/trolls, but not impede genuine boardies.

Driber
28th Jan 2013, 09:24
@Ruum: That is correct; that is what we usually do :)

@EK: Solution is simple - just report 1 single post of the same spammer. The staff has spam tools that enables us to mass delete ALL posts/threads of a spammer at the same time as banning him :)

Driber
1st Jul 2013, 08:16
*bump* :)

Lord Martok
1st Jul 2013, 10:22
I agree...and my apologies for not checking up on it sooner. :)

Driber
1st Jul 2013, 10:52
^ No biggy :)

Rai
1st Jul 2013, 15:23
I'm glad this was bumped. Now I am aware of this 'rule', you can be sure I'll do as asked :).

Driber
1st Jul 2013, 17:59