PDA

View Full Version : Activities:In's and out's of the cities

KSingh77
28th Jun 2009, 03:11
We all know games like GTA4 and Assassins Creed have all sorts of activities,you knowNPCs interacting with people and environment.Like having a converstation,selling things,someone answering their phone or picking a fight.I would like to see how activities around us would play out in this game.

DeusExM2
28th Jun 2009, 06:02
if you want to do that, i suggest you go to a real city and enjoy yourself. Leave Deus Ex Out of this.

SemiAnonymous
28th Jun 2009, 06:21
if you want to do that, i suggest you go to a real city and enjoy yourself. Leave Deus Ex Out of this.

Ok, now having people in a city doing things other than standing around and not moving at all unless you interact with them is forbidden in a Deus Ex game.
Alright.

Personally, I enjoyed how in Assassins Creed (first example coming to my mind), there were people just running around, doing their own thing. Have less of them, add more unique occurences (Someone randomly stealing a purse, someone tripping, maybe two opposing gangs encounter each other and try to kill each other). Make sure each city isn't identical in its people, and keep it appropriate to the setting (random people walking around in a city under martial law? Uh, no) and not flat out retarded so the people wont try to pick pocket in front of a cop or soldier, and I'd be happy.

Making the city seem alive and real is fairly important to me, I don't like running through games and feeling like I'm the only person alive.

Irate_Iguana
28th Jun 2009, 11:53
Have less of them, add more unique occurences (Someone randomly stealing a purse, someone tripping, maybe two opposing gangs encounter each other and try to kill each other).

This, while interesting on the surface, is something I can see becoming really annoying. You are trying your best to sneak about is a certain area. Random AI walks in and starts a fight. Suddenly the place is crawling with cops and you get busted through no fault of your own. Or the NPC that you desperately wanted saved gets killed by this random warfare.

Making the city seem alive and real is fairly important to me, I don't like running through games and feeling like I'm the only person alive.

True. However this can be accomplished by having people walking about and talking. I'm not talking Oblivion-style conversations, but similar to the ones that you can hear in when you enter the Free Clinic. The two old guys talking in the lobby about the NSF and Squalnomie. More of these types of conversations and just people in general talking about their day to day problems would go a long way to a believable city.

K^2
28th Jun 2009, 12:46
Same argument can be used against pretty much any realism-inclined feature. Like locational damage, for example. You can always tell people to just go and get into a real gun fight.

P.S. This is just a reductio ad absurdum against the argument. I'm not quite sure on which side I'm on with the issue itself.

TrickyVein
28th Jun 2009, 14:18
a large part of Deus Ex is getting involved in the activities of others. They might not be doing much more than just standing around or sitting and staring at walls, but how many times did someone offer you money to be an assassin or a thief? You could save Sandra Renton and her father from JoJo - there are many examples of this. As far as the NPC's themselves interacting with each other and the environment, I don't see why not. It can be really funny too, like when the poet in cairo was trying to woo his girl up on the balcony. This is a good idea.

Ninjerk
28th Jun 2009, 18:24
Same argument can be used against pretty much any realism-inclined feature. Like locational damage, for example. You can always tell people to just go and get into a real gun fight.

P.S. This is just a reductio ad absurdum against the argument. I'm not quite sure on which side I'm on with the issue itself.

Well, the things the OP mention were all in Deus Ex except for having phone conversations (there were those hologram projectors or whatever from time-to-time like in Manderley's office) so I really don't understand why M2 would say that other than disliking GTA4 and AC. I would like to see more of the same NPC interactions, but preferably event-driven instead of engine-driven (especially in the case of something that could be obtrusive like a fight).

phlebas
28th Jun 2009, 21:49

No offense but that was a pretty dumb thing to say.

I think bringing cities in game to life through some sort of limited NPC ecosystem is a good idea. Some might argue that it would be one of the biggest distinguishing characteristic of DX games from being an elaborate FPS. Besides, if DX3's going to have cities as a major backdrop it would be unrealistic to have them deserted.

The cities can always have inhabited zones and more or less deserted areas. For example, in nyc Greenwich village area's more or less crowded 24/7, while more sneakier neighborhood around southern Bronx practically goes into a lockdown by 6pm.

I for one will be very disappointed if everyone else in the city levels were more or less moving targets. We have plenty of games like that out there already.

DeusExM2
29th Jun 2009, 03:46
No it was not a dumb thing to say. Id rather have the devs focusing on creating a good game rather than wasting time on the mini games. I dont mind them and i think they should definitely be put in because that makes it more realistic, but i dont want them to focus on something so trivial.

There are way more pressing matters that can be looked at (RH, Music, Voice acting). No offense but you are an idiot if you dont get that.

SemiAnonymous
29th Jun 2009, 04:34
No it was not a dumb thing to say. Id rather have the devs focusing on creating a good game rather than wasting time on the mini games. I dont mind them and i think they should definitely be put in because that makes it more realistic, but i dont want them to focus on something so trivial.

There are way more pressing matters that can be looked at (RH, Music, Voice acting). No offense but you are an idiot if you dont get that.

I wasn't aware that creating a living, breathing city with realistic interactions between NPC's that create the effect of it being a real city somehow means minigames. I wasn't aware that creating immersive areas with unique and interesting characters to make the game more enjoyable and realistic was somehow "trivial".

ArcAngelSlayer
29th Jun 2009, 22:37
I agree with SemiAnonymous on this one, basically a living breathing world is where Deus Ex came from, whether it be AI or simple things like minigames, computer terminals random books and cash machines.

I highly doubt they're going to go and throw in date the mutant minigame.

But general interaction that makes the game more imersive hell yes I agree with that!

I would rather wait a few years after the core game was done to have a more imersive game than a linear shooter on rails like half life or fear!

Spyhopping
29th Jun 2009, 23:06
Absobloodylutely. There needs to be a careful balance to get the feel of a vibrant city. Though the clubs of DX were underpopulated, you have got to avoid zombie-like NPC's.

One of the first things that really gripped me on first run of Liberty Island was how I could be just about to sneak a corner, and I would catch the middle of a conversation. Not only did it make the experience feel more alive, but it encouraged more patient and sneaky gameplay.

Oh- I've said it before- but to create a vibrant environment in DX3, I want to see rain, real rain. There is something special about walking through a city when it is raining, when the coloured lights are drawn out and shining off the pavements. Maybe it's just like it for me because I don't get to walk through cities very often :p

KSingh77
30th Jun 2009, 01:23
Ah I remember the Hong Kong market which felt alive and active to me.Also New York had a gloom kind of atmosphere.Judging from the images I wonder how big the cities will be.

Blade_hunter
30th Jun 2009, 12:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7VAhzPcZ-s

Ninjerk
30th Jun 2009, 13:56

I don't think you know what you're talking about.