PDA

View Full Version : New tomb raider could debut in 2010

milens
19th Jun 2009, 16:51
Tomb Raider 9, currently being developed by U.S. studio Crystal Dynamics, could be released as early as 2010, according to the profile of senior programmer Chris Conway. Spotted again by Tomb Raider Forums, Chris Conway is working "on AI an game-play for an unannounced project and a Tomb Raider game scheduled for release in 2010 or later."

This comes a day after the revelation that original architect Toby Gard was likely to be helming Tomb Raider 9, according to his LinkedIn profile. Gard's current position at Crystal Dynamics is "leading a design group for an unannounced project."

Earlier this week, it emerged Crystal Dynamics were looking for a senior art director on one of the most prestigious AAA franchises in the industry, leading to speculation that the title in question was indeed Tomb Raider 9.

I find this news on tombraiderchornicles.com

Rexie
19th Jun 2009, 17:16
2010?

May I ask, What's the rush? Take your time someday!

chriss_99
19th Jun 2009, 17:19
It's good that they don't intend to rush the game. I hope that thanks to such amount of time they will be able to make the game long and quite difficult with huge replay value.
It seems that the third era of Tomb Raider is slowly approaching. :)

Pulse
19th Jun 2009, 18:11
IT appears 2010 is a goal. Nothing looks to be set in stone as of yet. I'd be very happy if it came out in 2010. I do hope Toby can bring Tomb Raider to new heights.

Wlado.Srbija
19th Jun 2009, 22:27
What? Released in 2010???? Wow, that's fast! OK, everyone cheer, but don't get disappointed when it turns out buggy and all..... :whistle:

josh1122
19th Jun 2009, 22:29
with less than 60 workers at CD,with a release all ready being planned for 2010...good lord, i cant see good things from this at all

pinpal
19th Jun 2009, 22:58
I expect a whole lot of delays.:hmm:

Wlado.Srbija
19th Jun 2009, 23:00
@Josh Me neither....
Man, I just hope Tomb Raider doesn't slowly disappear.... Man, there were many discussions about Core and CD on the forums, and, well..... I don't think Tomb Raider will survive another developer team change.... :(
That's why we have to support CD... I kinda feel sorry for talking bad about them and all (like they care... :whistle:). I mean, they're new here, they're trying to do it best possible... so, no matter how much Core's games were better, and how much we like them, we should all support CD! Go Crystal *claps* :D

franiqueblack
19th Jun 2009, 23:49
IT appears 2010 is a goal. Nothing looks to be set in stone as of yet. I'd be very happy if it came out in 2010. I do hope Toby can bring Tomb Raider to new heights.

I strongly believe Toby Gard is a good Cinematics Director. He does his job well but it all depends on the other teams as well when it comes to the end-product.

Probably the staffs at CD were struggling with the deadline when they were working on TR:U. I bet they could do more than that if they were given longer time to make underworld.

I loved the current game but I really think a few adjustments here and there could make TR:U a lot more interesting.

EIDOS should have just let CD do their stuff and stop pushin' em around with the deadline. LOL

Max 28
19th Jun 2009, 23:58
2010 does seem fast, maybe rushed? I just hope they amp up the replay value so that we can be paying TR:9 over and over again and we wont evan notice the next one comming out until a month. :p

TR:U hasen't kept me playing so I'm already wanting the next game, but there are other games to play and I'm enjoying playing through my classics. :) So I don't need TR to come out that soon.

But I've always respected CD. :thumb: They brought us the amazing Legend, Anniversary was good and Underworld is'nt that bad. But because there is little news around people like to pick out every little flaw TR:U had and it has just sounded very negative to me.

jayjay119
20th Jun 2009, 01:07
In all honesty we waited nearly 4 years for TRU and it wasn't really up to par yet good. It is clear where theere needs to be change and where needs to be preserved now yet i think 2010 is a little too soon for a decent development time, unless of course this project is one that has been slowly developed alongside TRU for a while but that doesn't really seem likely!

Pulse
20th Jun 2009, 02:06
We only waited 2 years for Underworld... Legend '06, Underworld '08

I'm hoping for a release in 2011: Q3 or Q4

Dusk Knight
20th Jun 2009, 06:30
Actually TRC's article is a little inaccurate.
Chris Conway's profile does not say that he is working on AI and gameplay for a 2010 or later TR but rather that he was working on it between 2006 and 2008. It looks like he has not been with Crystal since 2008.

I guess this means that the current team has 2 years worth of his (and probably others') AI and gameplay work to use, and that's not a bad thing. I wonder how much other work has been going on for a future TR during that time.

josh1122
20th Jun 2009, 07:40
as long as they dont make Lara blonde and pritsy(my idea of female friendly) and keep her the way she is now and dont screw with her personality and looks too much. Then I'll probably like this next game. But gah, ive said it a million times like a broken record, but with the rumors and speculation, im not having high hopes for this game.

I think were going to see(this is my pure speculation) a rushed game,Lara more pritsier and more girlish(to appeal to the ''female friendly'' audience) and she won't be the same character as we've seen in the last three games'

That's my take

Pulse
21st Jun 2009, 00:47
^ that's my nightmare.

I love Crystal Lara. Crytal's character is my favorite vg character. I really hope they don't mess her up.

tombraidergal
21st Jun 2009, 16:01
i don't care when it comes out. it just best be the best tomb raider game ever. not reveal too much info on the game, just one trailer, a few bloopers from when voice actors messed up? and maybe some behind the scenes stuff too.

angelus0901
21st Jun 2009, 16:49
I can't wait till it comes out... I'll have a new PC by than so I'll be able to play it... Yaaaaay!!!!! ;)

phoenixflames
21st Jun 2009, 17:13
2010 would be awesome. Gives CD plenty of time to create a great TR game. I have total confidence that they will surpass our expectations. TRU was great and with some improvements TR 9 could be awesome! I just hope they take their time, not rush, and give us a very colorful story.

Mick2412
21st Jun 2009, 17:50
I think 2010 is a good target to aim for. Enough time to make a superb game. I thought TRU seemed a bit rushed compared to the first part of the tale in Legend so I hope they spend enough time on this one. It's also good as it's not that far off so still within site.

Mr Croft
21st Jun 2009, 20:29
That's why we have to support CD... I kinda feel sorry for talking bad about them and all (like they care... :whistle:). I mean, they're new here, they're trying to do it best possible... so, no matter how much Core's games were better, and how much we like them, we should all support CD! Go Crystal *claps* :D

Lolwut? You are talking bad about CD and in the 'next day' you're supporting them?

i don't care when it comes out. it just best be the best tomb raider game ever. not reveal too much info on the game, just one trailer, a few bloopers from when voice actors messed up? and maybe some behind the scenes stuff too.

I don't think they can promote the game enough that way.

jayjay119
21st Jun 2009, 21:04

I wouldn't exactly call them 'new here' when they have been developing the series for 4, nearly 5 years through 3 games now, heck Core only made 6 games. CD are half way there.

seashell093
22nd Jun 2009, 02:12
I expect a whole lot of delays.:hmm:

ya...i hate when they say "Oh..Tomb Raider next year" or "Tomb Raider next month" then it changes... they shouldn't get us all excited for another game next year unless they are serious about it coming that soon. :scratch:

Jurre
22nd Jun 2009, 03:38
That's why we have to support CD... Yeah, support our CD: bring them home now!

Studded*Belt
23rd Jun 2009, 03:38
What about taking a break????

I'm already pissed at the whole Tomb Raider franchise so a break might help.

ahmad El-baghdadi
20th Jul 2009, 19:05
very good ... i read the story of the new tomb raider game on a website and it sounds cool. ..... lara will be lost in an island and she will be trying to get out of there ...

IvanaKC
20th Jul 2009, 20:22
Hmmm, since it's crisis in the world I thought that new TR will come out in 2011 or later. But this is too early. That's why we have buggy short games .... Everyone wants to be first with more and more games, but obviously not the best...

josh1122
20th Jul 2009, 20:40
Hope to god its not the storyline and concept art that has been shown, otherwise I hope there isn't another TR if this is the case

LC is Me
21st Jul 2009, 16:24
Really, I'd be willing to wait til 2012 if they would just do what they had to do to make TR successful.
They're shoving out games like Octomom shoved out babies.

Rexie
21st Jul 2009, 17:53
I would wait 5 years for a decent and good TR. 1 year just proves that it's going to be rushed. Because that's what they do in a year;

For 9 months, they work on the gameplay, and the graphics, and Lara's boobs size, for the remaining 2 months, they work on Lara's looks, motion Cap,useless stuff like Outfits and then Secrets, and at the last year, they write a WTF storyline and release the game.

digifan
21st Jul 2009, 18:12
The grapevine of the web also said Tomb Raider is heading for a reboot featuring a younger Lara Croft and new adventures. Maybe CD is planning to inject more of Lara's family background into the games that could eventually lead to new movies?

Wlado.Srbija
22nd Jul 2009, 00:44
If the leaked info about the next one is real..... That will be the real reason for me not to like (read: dump) this franchise, and find something else to be the fan of..... :( :( :(
I mean, first they "fixed" something that's not broken, now they're breaking it even worse....