PDA

View Full Version : Quick Launch Missions?

Its My Delorean
18th Jun 2009, 23:53
I was thinking, while we all love the story, and think that it and it's associated missions should get top priority, perhaps there should be a quick launch button on the main menu that takes you to a mission right away.

If possible, in addition to being able to replay certain missions after you've completed them, there could be stand-alone missions that have no bearing on the story, that a person would be able to play. Perhaps there could even be stand alone mission released after the game ala, downloadable content.and perhaps, if Eidos was willing they could release map/mission making tools to the community, and you can select these missions from a quick launch screen.

Or perhaps if there's are City Hub's, they could have these stand-alone mission peppered around the City sort of like how races in Need For Speed Underground 2, and Most Wanted were scattered around the city, and you had to find them.

I dunno. just a suggestion that I think would increase the life of the game beyond the set story. Feel free to post suggestions to build upon this idea, or flame it, (it is a public forum after all ;) ) but please don't flame too hard.

This also happens to be my first post on these forums, so hello everyone.

Hypevosa
19th Jun 2009, 01:25
I like the idea of a quick mission launch bar... that way people also don't have to make saves before each mission, it could just store what the max loot you've gotten for the previous mission was for when you go to the item purchase screen.

Inbred Pageboy
19th Jun 2009, 02:30
Sounds like a menu item possibility.

jtr7
19th Jun 2009, 02:37

fayfuya
19th Jun 2009, 03:39
Nothing if what you said were good....BAD BAD BAD, a quick-launch mission??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!??!??!!!!!!!!
It's so lazy, it's so silly, it's so stupid, it's so bad, i don't wanna press a button and just start the mission, i wanna travel in the city, steal some stuff, maybe find some secrets and stories of guards, pickpocket...
And if i wanna go to the fence...i'll also press a "quick launch" button? stop being so lame.

Its My Delorean
19th Jun 2009, 03:59
Gee, thanks :rolleyes:

I guess I should clarify. The way I see this suggestion, is just as a way to get in a mission no fuss, Just for a bit of casual play. i also figure that missions you haven't played yet aren't accessable to quick play, until you finish them. It's sorta like the quick launch option in Mech Warrior 4, if you've played that. You can replay a mission you like, but you can't hop from place to place and still expect the story.

If you just want a place to Thieve around in, with objectives you can. You can also replay that one favorite mission without having to go through the rest of the game if you don't want. It's not a way to bypass things you don't like in main campaign.

In addition to this, I put forward the idea of custom missions, made after release, by the dev's. if they'd be willing to do that, or the fans, who could create their own missions.

In my head it's something mostly for once a person's finished the game.

Your want to explore the city did give me another idea though, perhaps a "free roam" tab under this quick launch suggestion of mine. So, you can just explore the city at ease, if your stuck in a mission and want to get back to the city without losing a save...

jtr7
19th Jun 2009, 04:06

Its My Delorean
19th Jun 2009, 04:24
Umm, I guess...

It's time for...more elaboration! Yay! :)

Okay, so, the game boots up, the main menu is on your screen. You've aready finsihed the game once (for arguments sake) you click, 'Quick Launch' A mission selection screen comes up. You select the mission you want to play, whether it be, a mission from the main campaign, a stand-alone mission, a fan made mission, or perhaps you just want to roam the city freely, you select a difficulty. The mission loads up, and depending on the difficulty level you've chosen, you're given a limited number of supplies to use (Lotsa arrows = easy, with the amount going down the harder the difficulty say) you play the mission, (fufilling all the usual Thievery obectives, e.g. steal x amount of loot, get caught less than x number of times, kill only x number of people ect.) and either succed or fail, then the mission ends, and your taken back to the quick launch mission select screen.

If you played a campaign mission, you could concivably play the next campaign mission after that one, but none of your things from the last mission would carry over. Or you could play a fan made mission, either through an in-game interface, or downloaded prior.

I dunno, it's a rough idea, but I'm developing it the more I think about it. ;)

Flashart
19th Jun 2009, 08:34
This is sort of what I imagined the city hub in TDS would be. A perpetual world that could be visited after the game had finished. What I thought was a set of "generic" buildings that had "randomized" loot and guards each time. If there was a,
Bank, Jail, Castle, Cathedral, Mine, Tower, Pagan camp, Sewer, Factory.
If you had to "enter" the building so it was separate from the city you could even use custom fan-made interiors (would this make an editor a more "viable" prospect?)
It's not the explorable city sprawl that some imagined but it would have a degree of replayability,

jtr7
19th Jun 2009, 08:38

Flashart
19th Jun 2009, 10:55
Boring? Probably after a few playthroughs, but so would replaying all the story missions over and over. All this could be relieved by the inclusion of a user friendly, comprehensive editor. From Day 1 I've advocated this, it's what every fan can agree on, and offers the most possibility of extending the game's lifespan.
The "Random Mission" generator in a lot of games does tire pretty quickly, I figured randomized guards and loot would offer some challenge, but when you know where all the doors are...I thought maybe an editor for "interiors" might be an easier thing to produce and a small city hub a suitable launching system.
Or, if you had an "Oblivion" sized city you'd have a massive explorable area so the need for a "quickie" would diminish.

jtr7
19th Jun 2009, 18:52

Flashart
20th Jun 2009, 09:42
I'm not on one side or the other of the "Hub" argument. I understood the original desire was to keep a playable "area" after the game had finished. This I agreed with, but seeing the TDS version I can see the problems. However, I do think something needs to be done to avoid the "There's your 15 missions, see you in 5 years time!" (I'm assuming without the presence of an editor)
Even if it was a small set of playable "standalone" maps with randomized guards, surely that would provide a degree of freshness? Or "unlock" each mission after the game is completed, so you don't need extra maps, just randomize the guards and the loot.
To equate boredom with somehow "growing out" of the Thief life is just not correct. The proliferation of FM's was surely borne partly out of the same "boredom", it's probably more a desire to wring every last drop out of the Thief experience that people want "a little more"
I agree with the "wanting to spawn side-quests" comment, but isn't that very much dependent on the city scale? Sure, you'd eventually tire of any size map (even something like "Oblivion")
it just might be a nicer way of lengthening the time before you eventually replay the whole game.

jtr7
20th Jun 2009, 09:57

Pieter888
20th Jun 2009, 11:41
Umm, I guess...

It's time for...more elaboration! Yay! :)

Okay, so, the game boots up, the main menu is on your screen. You've aready finsihed the game once (for arguments sake) you click, 'Quick Launch' A mission selection screen comes up. You select the mission you want to play, whether it be, a mission from the main campaign, a stand-alone mission, a fan made mission, or perhaps you just want to roam the city freely, you select a difficulty. The mission loads up, and depending on the difficulty level you've chosen, you're given a limited number of supplies to use (Lotsa arrows = easy, with the amount going down the harder the difficulty say) you play the mission, (fufilling all the usual Thievery obectives, e.g. steal x amount of loot, get caught less than x number of times, kill only x number of people ect.) and either succed or fail, then the mission ends, and your taken back to the quick launch mission select screen.

If you played a campaign mission, you could concivably play the next campaign mission after that one, but none of your things from the last mission would carry over. Or you could play a fan made mission, either through an in-game interface, or downloaded prior.

I dunno, it's a rough idea, but I'm developing it the more I think about it. ;)

I like it:)

Its My Delorean
20th Jun 2009, 19:12
Pieter888- Why thank you.

As to your reasoning jtr7, I can understand wanting to replay the games over and over, but after playing something so many times, it may get to the point you know where everything is, and it's no longer aa challenge. My suggestion is just away to extend replayability and the the games lifespan. To get an idea of what I mean, just look at all the fan made add ons for the original Half-Life, that game is still going, even after it's sequel.

13LACK13ISHOP
20th Jun 2009, 19:19
I approve of being able to replay missions and play bonus ones but no quick play just a new slot called missions in the main menu would suffice. Anything to increase its lifespan.

jtr7
20th Jun 2009, 22:14

Belboz
22nd Jun 2009, 04:48
if you want quick launch missions then the missions would have to be small to be launched quickly.

Zahr Dalsk
22nd Jun 2009, 08:08
Nothing if what you said were good....BAD BAD BAD, a quick-launch mission??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!??!??!!!!!!!!
It's so lazy, it's so silly, it's so stupid, it's so bad, i don't wanna press a button and just start the mission, i wanna travel in the city, steal some stuff, maybe find some secrets and stories of guards, pickpocket...
And if i wanna go to the fence...i'll also press a "quick launch" button? stop being so lame.

Well, here's a tard who never played Thief 1 or 2.

fayfuya
22nd Jun 2009, 10:32
No way you guys are actually want a quickl launch mission, it's just lame and primitive.

jtr7
22nd Jun 2009, 19:11

Direlord
22nd Jun 2009, 19:28
Way I understood this was say I beat the game I can then go back and do mission 6 because i really enjoyed it or i found it challenging and want another go to see what i missed. Instead of restarting a new game and playing mission 1-5 I can just select start mission 6.

The quick missions can also be used for fan made single offs which if EM releases a map editor with the games release we will see not to much longer after.

It just allows you to quickly replay missions you've played before in the campaign or single fan made stuff. That is how i understood it anyway.

Zahr Dalsk
22nd Jun 2009, 21:20
No way you guys are actually want a quickl launch mission, it's just lame and primitive.

Quick launch mission is exactly how Thief 1 and 2 worked.

Thief DS is a downgrade.

Prove me wrong.

Its My Delorean
22nd Jun 2009, 21:49
Way I understood this was say I beat the game I can then go back and do mission 6 because i really enjoyed it or i found it challenging and want another go to see what i missed. Instead of restarting a new game and playing mission 1-5 I can just select start mission 6.

The quick missions can also be used for fan made single offs which if EM releases a map editor with the games release we will see not to much longer after.

It just allows you to quickly replay missions you've played before in the campaign or single fan made stuff. That is how i understood it anyway.

YES! Thank you Direlord, that is exactly what I meant. Though, stated a lot more simply. ;) I don't know why people are seeing this as a city hub or not arguement, or why their making it one, it's not.

ToMegaTherion
22nd Jun 2009, 22:26
Since presumably limited save slots are a thing of the past, why not just make a save at the start of every mission?

jtr7
22nd Jun 2009, 22:34

Zahr Dalsk
22nd Jun 2009, 23:57
Since presumably limited save slots are a thing of the past, why not just make a save at the start of every mission?

That's what I did for Thief 1 and Thief 2.

Problem is, DS brought up the ugly, crude, inconvenient interface, designed to appeal to the limited mind of a console gamer, instead of the simple one line of text that Thief 1 and 2 had.

Direlord
23rd Jun 2009, 18:16
Even without limited save spots it's just a nice little feature for someone that likes to do that kind of thing. i know RTS wise it is actually a pretty common feature. If there is a hub it allows you bi-pass the running part just taking you straight to the mission brief and playing.

This is style of play T1 and T2 had which i'm actually slightly in favor of returning back to for T4. Unless you saved it's own slot before each and every mission though you would need to restart just to play a certain one.

There is also how many people would save the mission just because even though they might find out I hate this mission i'm glad its over.

Really all it would probably be would be another button in the main menu. It would then give you option to play fan made mission or one from campaign you select. The campaign would be set so you could only play ones you already finished. It might require you to have profiles or it will give you a default gear with some money to use for extras.

Its My Delorean
27th Jun 2009, 03:34
Yeah, that's basically what I was shooting for, Direlord, though, I was thinking of the default gear.

And so others are aware, I've only played TDS but still want to play the first two (can't find them anywhere), so, I myself personnally would like to see a city hub, for those who see this thread as a statement for that.
I pretty much thought this suggestion up, because I loved the Museum mission in TDS, but sometimes, I don't want to play through the seriously freaky Shalebridge Cradle to get to it.

kaekaelyn
27th Jun 2009, 04:19
IMD, I found and bought Thief: The Dark Project (not Gold) for 99 cents on Amazon! I didn't wait for a bargain or shop around; I just loaded Amazon.com and searched for it. That's not including shipping, but still, it only cost me a few bucks to get (I needed it because my old CD was scratched.) Gold's hard to get your hands on, but don't worry, The Dark Project original is still loads of fun. And The Metal Age isn't that much more expensive. If you don't care about getting it new or having the packaging, it's a great way to buy the game.

Right now I see The Dark Project on Amazon for $1.90, Thief: Gold (small box version) for $14.84, Thief II: The Metal Age for $4.95. You can also buy them new on Amazon if you don't care about the higher price. I don't know where you live, nor do I know much about Amazon's shipping outside the US if you're from a different country, but I'm sure you could find a used copy somewhere on the Internet if you do a little searching.

Trust me; it's worth it.

Its My Delorean
27th Jun 2009, 04:47
Thanks for the info. I live in Canada, and I know we have an Amazon site, but I usually buy things off the internet as a last resort, I know, old fashioned, but well, I guess that's the way I roll. ;) Besides, at the moment, I'm not getting an income, so, I've become incredibly cheap, to the point parting with a dollar is something to be heavily considered. :D

As to TDS, I'm not sure if you were talking to me, but I loved it, otherwise, well being the only one I've played, I wouldn't be here. And while The Cradle is one of the selling points I give to my friends when recommending the game, it still freaks me the hell out, and sometimes, I'd rather not be freaked out to get to that museum.

kaekaelyn
27th Jun 2009, 05:21
Oh, no I wasn't, I was responding to your post at all. I thought I was responding to someone else, but In fact I think I might have been on a different thread when I read another person's post. Sorry for the confusion.

Its My Delorean
27th Jun 2009, 05:22
Oh, haha, no problem buddy.

DarthEnder
30th Jun 2009, 02:09
Absolutely agree with this.

Once you've reached a mission in the story, you should be able to replay that mission from the start menu whenever you want. If I want to replay Life of the Party, I should be able to do it without having to play through the game, load a save I may or may not have had, or using a cheat code.

As far as how much loot you'd start with, what ever the most you've completed the previous level with is how much you should have access to(after all, you can always choose not to spend it if you want to challenge yourself).