PDA

View Full Version : Option to customize Garretts appearance.

JohnnyB_©
18th Jun 2009, 09:26
By using different types of Cloaks, Capes, Hoods, Boots, Gloves, Eye Patches etc.

Maybe some rare items can have bonus magic properties and bring more RPG features in the game.

I would like to see this if 3rd Person View is also available in the new Thief 4.

What do you think?

Hamadriyad
18th Jun 2009, 09:31
No thanks.

esme
18th Jun 2009, 09:31
personally I don't want third person view, so I'm not a fan of this idea

huzi73
18th Jun 2009, 10:47
Why cant people just leave Garrett alone? Leave him the way he looked from TDP/TMA. Thief is primarily a FPS game, with mild RPG undertones at best. You want a dress up game? Play Barbie... or whatever, just please, for the sake of all thats good, dont turn Garrett into the next fashion trend. He's not a wizzard, so clothes which affect magic wont really make sense.

Aristofiles
18th Jun 2009, 10:51
"Maybe some rare items can have bonus magic properties and bring more RPG features in the game."

RPG features aint allways something positive. Thief is not a RPG and there is no reason that it should be either.

Shadow Blade
18th Jun 2009, 10:52
Sorry those ideas would be good for an RPG but thief is not an RPG.

Platinumoxicity
18th Jun 2009, 11:10
Why would Garrett want to buy different clothing? His equipment is already perfect: Soft fabric pants to avoid brushing sounds, dark blue hooded cloak to hide human features, other dark blue clothing to blend in darkness without cutting the silhouette out in less dark areas, leather bracers to avoid bruises, fingerless gloves for protection but easy manipulation, and last but not least, noisy boots to balance out the difficulty and to give some uses for moss arrows.

Garrett can't change anything for better. The only customizations you should be able to come across are getting rid of the cloak and putting on 100% silent shoes when you start Deadly Shadows but let's leave those "upgrades" to that game. I think that's quite enough of that.

kin
18th Jun 2009, 11:15
No thanks.

Yaphy
18th Jun 2009, 11:33
It could be good to be able to change his apperance little. You could buy a hood or gloves with a different material when you have to much money. This would change the matter that you always end up with tons of cash. The clothes would be very expensive and wount make Garrett better at any point. Its just for those who doesnt know what to spend the money on. You could see it a little ingame and at cut scenes you could see the whole new outfit. But no big changes, just another texture and maybe brown, blue or black.

Platinumoxicity
18th Jun 2009, 11:47
It could be good to be able to change his apperance little. You could buy a hood or gloves with a different material when you have to much money. This would change the matter that you always end up with tons of cash. The clothes would be very expensive and wount make Garrett better at any point. Its just for those who doesnt know what to spend the money on. You could see it a little ingame and at cut scenes you could see the whole new outfit. But no big changes, just another texture and maybe brown, blue or black.

Personally I think that if there is going to be ingame cutscenes, even they should be made to look like the silhouette cutscenes in T1 and T2 by clever use of effects. :P TDS showed Garrett too frequently in bright light.

Belboz
18th Jun 2009, 14:45
Maybe you could have random examples of these in the game box, that you can wear while playing the game.

Myth
18th Jun 2009, 16:22
I think you want to play a different game than Thief, in which case what are you doing on these forums? Plenty of RPGs out there, with customizable magic cloaks and rainbow puke spells.

Thieffanman
18th Jun 2009, 17:01
By using different types of Cloaks, Capes, Hoods, Boots, Gloves, Eye Patches etc.

Good idea if they include both 1st and 3rd-person views of the game. If you play your game in third-person, you can have the option to choose how you want your thief to look.

Maybe some rare items can have bonus magic properties and bring more RPG features in the game.

Possibly. One of the things I liked about Thief is that it was a relatively "low-magic" game: Every antagonist didn't carry magic weapons, or have enchanted items, and the few that did had relatively simple capabilities (ie. TDS: the wands that the Hammerite priests and Pagan shamans carried). I want Eidos to keep it that way.

I would like to see this if 3rd Person View is also available in the new Thief 4.

It should be. There are a lot of gamers out there who like playing their games from the third-person point of view.

--Thieffanman

kabatta
18th Jun 2009, 17:28
Oh...and I just wanted to get a fluorescent bright pink eye. A beautyfull one.

*sarcasm off*

Caranfin
18th Jun 2009, 17:55
different types of Cloaks, Capes, Hoods, Boots, Gloves, Eye Patches etc.No.

Maybe some rare items can have bonus magic properties and bring more RPG features in the game.Why would anyone want to bring the Thief world down to the level of standard sword&sorcery RPG drivel?

I'd always play it in 1st person for the maximum immersion, but as long as the 3rd person view doesn't screw up the movement like in DS, I'm ok with it being an option.

kin
18th Jun 2009, 18:30
I think you want to play a different game than Thief, in which case what are you doing on these forums? Plenty of RPGs out there, with customizable magic cloaks and rainbow puke spells.___

Nate
18th Jun 2009, 18:40
Why cant people just leave Garrett alone? Leave him the way he looked from TDP/TMA. Thief is primarily a FPS game, with mild RPG undertones at best. You want a dress up game? Play Barbie... or whatever, just please, for the sake of all thats good, dont turn Garrett into the next fashion trend. He's not a wizzard, so clothes which affect magic wont really make sense.

Hehe, keep in mind that in TDP and TMA, Garrett was a happy face on a stick.

Seriously though, Garrett can happily CONTINUE to be a happy face on a stick IF this game doesn't have 3rd person view OR multiplayer.

If the devs decide to make either 3rd person or multiplayer, then they'll have no choice but to make a highly detailed body and 'lifelike' movements for Garrett...

I hope they don't make 3rd person view (hate it and I also hate how it alters map building). I am on the fence about multiplayer though.

fayfuya
18th Jun 2009, 18:49
Garrett in TDS looked like a model! he looked perfect, but a cloak on him would do better, not that it would bother me cause it's gonna be first person anyway.

Pyronox
18th Jun 2009, 18:56
Yes, but only if the rest of the game doesn't suffer from it.

Hamadriyad
18th Jun 2009, 19:07
Yes, hide his face please, even in cutscenes. Garrett has no face.

Zahr Dalsk
18th Jun 2009, 19:41

But we'd never see it, so there's no point.

Sierra Oscar
18th Jun 2009, 19:48
I don't see the point, I don't really want to be able see Gar at all!

kabatta
18th Jun 2009, 20:08
maybe he can shoot a small hammer from the eye. ;;)

Pieter888
18th Jun 2009, 20:25
I really don't have an opinion about the appearance customization. It would be cool to be able to increase your stealth but WHAT would be different? fluffy socks for extra quietness? I'll just wait and see what the developers do.

About the 3rd person view? I actually liked the 3rd person view. It gave you the ability to look around some corners without being seen. Of course this would make things easier, but you can always still choose to go to first person view...

Platinumoxicity
18th Jun 2009, 20:30
The increasing of stealth with upgrades is not cool. You need to learn to be more stealthy, not use "steroids"

And about your opinion about the 3rd person view: :mad2:

kabatta
18th Jun 2009, 20:34
Some people like to see themselves whyle stealing.

Pieter888
18th Jun 2009, 20:42
And about your opinion about the 3rd person view: :mad2:

Why is it that you are so against 3rd person view?:confused:

Platinumoxicity
18th Jun 2009, 20:46

About the 3rd person view? I actually liked the 3rd person view. It gave you the ability to look around some corners without being seen. Of course this would make things easier, but you can always still choose to go to first person view...

It's just that when you say something like that out loud, everyone knows that you've missed the point of Thief-games. :(

Pieter888
18th Jun 2009, 20:55
It's just that when you say something like that out loud, everyone knows that you've missed the point of Thief-games. :(

I don't think I've "missed" the point of the Thief games. I just don't see the charm of 1st person view as you do. nonetheless I did play through TDS ones using only first person mode and it was just as enjoyable as the 3rd person view. It's like Kabatta said: Some people like to see themselves whyle stealing.

ToMegaTherion
18th Jun 2009, 20:56
You have (admittedly more limited) ability to see round some corners without being seen in the first two games as well. The third person view makes this easier and makes it applicable in all cases, but it isn't hugely contrary to the way things worked before.

Hypevosa
18th Jun 2009, 22:15
Yes, hide his face please, even in cutscenes. Garrett has no face.

NO!, we have to see a little face. It's an uber tease like OMG is he gonna do it? If you've ever played halo CE, you know how at the end they show the chief taking off his helmet, but the top of the longsword (he's in a space ship) makes it so you can't see his face. That kinda thing, maybe show a little chin, a cheek every now and then, the mechanical eye... just never give a full frontal shot.

In terms of customizing garrett's appearance... why would we need it if we (pretty universally) want to play first person?

Hypevosa
18th Jun 2009, 22:42
Because there's a difference between turning thief into a fighter, and adding on a few peripherals without changing the core of gameplay. This person believes that it would still be thief, just garrett could have different gear, and I somewhat agree. Garrett in a black vs dark blue vs dark purple coat is still Garrett, and as long as he's still hiding in shadows, watching his step and robbin folk it still is thief. If you removed the hiding in shadows, need to watch your step, (need for stealth at all) and robbing people, then it wouldn't be thief anymore. People who want stealth socks for example, are risking ruining the game...

Psi Yamaneko
18th Jun 2009, 23:35
The community's always seemed EXTREMELY opposed to any sort of "RPGish" upgrades in these games. ("LOLBOWUPGRADE"). Truth is, I've always found them fairly entertaining. Sword of Constantine let us stay in shadows with a blade drawn and still be hidden. The mechanical eye offered an entirely new bag of tricks. The enchanted blackjack and climbing gloves were also fun, though poorly implemented. If implemented in a cohesive fashion, they can increase your tools of the trade.

Now, I think an enchanted cloak could be doable. But, no, I don't support the WoW "Wear blue boots for +5 agility" method here.

Inbred Pageboy
19th Jun 2009, 03:45
As a player primarily in FPS (sneaker) thats how I'll be playing.
The focus has always been on his character not what he looks like or dresses like. The clothing idea is just eyecandy to me.

kin
19th Jun 2009, 04:49
Why is it that you are so against 3rd person view?

If the levels are designed for 1st person like Thief 1, you'll see these differences:

For example, the kitchen in "Lord Bafford's manor". The ceiling is so low that 3rd person mode would restrict the player's vision. Also the confined spaces in poor civilians' apartments would have the same problem.

These areas, when designed for 3rd person mode would have high ceilings (Poor people don't have those) and wide open areas with more room between furniture. (No-one would furnish a house like that)

The buildings in T1 and T2 had smaller rooms, hallways and doors because they didn't have to take the 3rd person mode into account. Even the walkways in alleys were more narrow. Everything was designed for humans, not giants

This is so damn serious. I hope the devs have realised that there is no place for third person.
As I said before this is why I hate 3rd person view even simply by existing in game without using it. It is just that the game has to be build accordingly to that view also.
___

Nate
19th Jun 2009, 05:19
Kin just perfectly summarized the main problem with 3rd view implementation (the maps are designed for huge unrealistic open spaces to make room for the 3rd person camera).

ANOTHER problem with 3rd person view is that the devs have to use time/effort/$ to make 3rd person view (and the maps) work perfectly. That time/effort/$ could have been used to make better levels, or better guard AI, or a better story, or better voice acting, or whatever.

esme
19th Jun 2009, 11:13
if they include mirrors then Garrett could go all metrosexual and spend hours grooming his appearance

personally I'd rather be out stealing things

Myth
23rd Jun 2009, 04:03
If the levels are designed for 1st person like Thief 1, you'll see these differences:

For example, the kitchen in "Lord Bafford's manor". The ceiling is so low that 3rd person mode would restrict the player's vision. Also the confined spaces in poor civilians' apartments would have the same problem.

These areas, when designed for 3rd person mode would have high ceilings (Poor people don't have those) and wide open areas with more room between furniture. (No-one would furnish a house like that)

The buildings in T1 and T2 had smaller rooms, hallways and doors because they didn't have to take the 3rd person mode into account. Even the walkways in alleys were more narrow. Everything was designed for humans, not giants + 1 Tafferpoints

if they include mirrors then Garrett could go all metrosexual and spend hours grooming his appearance

personally I'd rather be out stealing things i LOLed :D

The community's always seemed EXTREMELY opposed to any sort of "RPGish" upgrades in these games. ("LOLBOWUPGRADE") Hey if you couldn't get to the Alarus extension and find it don't ruin it for the others :D:D I myself, as a gamer, love RPGs. I like DnD, I've played trough a ton of RPG games. Thus, i'm not a single minded zombie and hate for the sake of hating. I love RPGs, i just don't want RPG elements in Thief. Thief is and should remain a genre defining stealth game. No levels, skills, stats, enchanted items, customizable eyebrows with plucking action etc.

Platinumoxicity
23rd Jun 2009, 07:58

The buildings in T1 and T2 had smaller rooms, hallways and doors because they didn't have to take the 3rd person mode into account. Even the walkways in alleys were more narrow. Everything was designed for humans, not giants

Did you take this text from my posts in TTLG? Looks familiar. :thumb:

Zahr Dalsk
23rd Jun 2009, 08:06

Because it makes movement bad.

In Thief 1 and 2, when you move forward, you move forward. Left, left. Etc. You move exactly where you press your keys.

Suddenly, Thief DS. Third person. You try to move forward, you move forward, sway, move a bit after your finger ALREADY LEFT THE KEY, etc. You try to move around, it adds weird movement you never pressed keys for. It's bad, it ruins first person movement.

Third person ruins first person movement ergo it cannot be included in a Thief game.

Myth
23rd Jun 2009, 13:49
The biggest problem with 3rd person view, apart from the obvious "teaching Garrett how to walk" is that it can be exploited by tilting the camera to the side, and grants you free leaning even from the most well light corners (this has been states as well in several threads)

ToMegaTherion
23rd Jun 2009, 16:34
Your mileage may vary as to how significant a problem, if it all, that is, but what's certainly a problem is that the first person view had no similar cheat available in Deadly Shadows. First person view in Deadly Shadows is the only view in the series that has no access to cheaty looking round corners. Cheaty looking round corners in some form is a fairly important element of the game.

Shadowplay
23rd Jun 2009, 17:13
No to customizing the look, no to tacking on more RPG elements. Damn it. :mad2: Why does everyone want to take one of the purist examples of Stealth gaming and turn it into every other game? Just go buy those other games and let Thief be Thief!!!

Absolute second that !!!

Period! :mad2:

catelee2u
28th Jun 2009, 03:20
Absolutely NOT.

We only ever see a brief glimpse of Garrett and that's how it should stay. It keeps the mystery of his character and would spoil the atmosphere if he could be made to look like anything. He lives in shadows and hides and sneaks.....he is not Bruno.

catelee2u
28th Jun 2009, 03:22
I want to be inside Garrett and in his head when going out stealing (I literally AM Garrett whilst I play) .....can't do that while looking at the back of his head....it's about immersion in the character...a bit like acting.

Flashart
28th Jun 2009, 08:46
Does anyone know what Garrett is ACTUALLY supposed to look like? There seems to be no two cutscenes where he looks the same. Is there someone famous who you would say resembles the way Garrett is meant to look?

PJMaybe
28th Jun 2009, 09:23

Have you even played T1 and T2? You could look around corners without being seen in those games too - but it required at least some skill to avoid detection. It was called leaning - a great feature that they decided to get rid in TDS (or at least make it redundant).

If you want to be able to see where Garrett himself can't see, why not ask for a map with real-time guard positions etc on. That should really screw up the tension and get rid of the excitement.

As for customisation, definitely no!

esme
29th Jun 2009, 11:23
Does anyone know what Garrett is ACTUALLY supposed to look like? There seems to be no two cutscenes where he looks the same. Is there someone famous who you would say resembles the way Garrett is meant to look?

well when I'm playing Garrett looks like me ... apart from the boobs, belly n bum of course :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Jun 2009, 14:03
I don't really want any option to customise his appearance. I just don't see the point. :p

lyssyder
29th Jun 2009, 14:56

What do you think?

No, sorry.

I don't need anything else than GARRETT as HE is.
I don't want a PS style game.
I put CONTENTS before APPEREANCE, ATMOSPHERE before ITEMS.
But this is my personal view.

Garrett is great as he is, with all the meager objects he has at disposition at a time.
Being THE Thief is a hard job =)

3rd person ? mmm... mmmmm...... mmmmmmmm......nope.

Dear developers please put an effort on CONTENTS/ATMOSPHERE not just mere
GRAPHICS and POWER

clock12345
29th Jun 2009, 17:25
i only think you should change boots gloves shirt pants and hood i would like to see that but everything should look black and grey like the colors garret always had and not rainbow colors i accept with this idea

kin
29th Jun 2009, 18:29
Did you take this text from my posts in TTLG? Looks familiar. :thumb:
Yes Plat I thought it was a straight answer why third person should not be used generally because it alters the level design. Your thought also is disarming to those blindly supporting 3rd person in this special game.:thumb:

TheEye
4th Jul 2009, 09:45
thief is NOT a RPG! if you want customization play wow, lineage, shire. customizing garret will cause him to lose his charisma!

darkmagicasorseer
8th Aug 2009, 13:46

What do you think?

If the next sequel is going to be in third person, then Garrett should have a cape or cloak to stay help him stay hidden

fayfuya
8th Aug 2009, 16:23
customize our look sounds real cool, but it's first person her, we would only see our stomech and our cloak of we run and turn back quickly, and maybe the hood around the screen....could be nice....

Vae
9th Aug 2009, 01:15
No thanks. But I hope they get 3rd person view right in that it doesn't compromise 1st person if those of us who don't ever want to see 3rd person in Thief again won't get our way.

Let us pray that EM is not even considering putting a 3rd person view in T4. As for customizing Garrett's appearance ... :mad: ... It is part of the mystique of Garrett that he is partially shrouded in mystery.

I don't think I've "missed" the point of the Thief games. I just don't see the charm of 1st person view as you do. nonetheless I did play through TDS ones using only first person mode and it was just as enjoyable as the 3rd person view. It's like Kabatta said: Some people like to see themselves whyle stealing.

First of all, "some people like to see themselves while stealing" is an oxymoron. You can not watch yourself in real time stealing something. You either are stealing something or not. You are in effect watching your character steal things instead of being immersed as the one doing the stealing. This causes you to think differently and disassociates you from the True Thief Experience (TTE). ;)

Myth
9th Aug 2009, 10:59
That all depends on whether they develop the game for PC first and then add all the console crap to it (as in - ruin it), or if they want to be greedy little taffers and make one game to rule them all - and thus make 3rd person.

fayfuya
10th Aug 2009, 09:43
Guys, I've been thinking of it for a pretty long time, I'm not talknig about RPG, but just weapons and armors that the may find during the game, that we can use the weapons of the guards we kill or the kurshock fishmen or others, when we rob the armory i expect to see there a nice weapon or two, this would be a nice, finding armors would be fun, we can choose to wear the light-weight armor, or the heavy one, the big sword, or the fast dagger....can be fun.
I got another idea, that in the beginning of the game Garrett will lose almost all of his equipment in some way, maybe he got tired of the city in the past thief games, so he takes a little boat and sail to other places and in the way he gets into a terrible storm, he goes unconcious, the boat brakes and he finds himself in a port of another city, there he maybe escapes their prison or maybe the haven't found him yet and he sneak around the city, a new city, with new cultures, weapons and spells....anyway....what do you think?

Herr_Garrett
10th Aug 2009, 10:09
Guys, I've been thinking of it for a pretty long time, I'm not talknig about RPG, but just weapons and armors that the may find during the game, that we can use the weapons of the guards we kill or the kurshock fishmen or others, when we rob the armory i expect to see there a nice weapon or two, this would be a nice, finding armors would be fun, we can choose to wear the light-weight armor, or the heavy one, the big sword, or the fast dagger....can be fun.
I got another idea, that in the beginning of the game Garrett will lose almost all of his equipment in some way, maybe he got tired of the city in the past thief games, so he takes a little boat and sail to other places and in the way he gets into a terrible storm, he goes unconcious, the boat brakes and he finds himself in a port of another city, there he maybe escapes their prison or maybe the haven't found him yet and he sneak around the city, a new city, with new cultures, weapons and spells....anyway....what do you think?

Ye gods.

Vae
10th Aug 2009, 10:20

:(....... NO!! :mad:

esme
10th Aug 2009, 10:22

isn't this pretty much morrowind elder scrolls ?

it isn't thief anyway

tarhiel
10th Aug 2009, 11:59
No, thanks.