PDA

View Full Version : Will Thief 4 Actually work?

Kevin Preston
17th Jun 2009, 03:14
I ask this with a grain of salt because I purchaced every Thief game and I feel that EDIOS was actually the Thief!

Thief 1 and 2 both had bogus installers and numerous bugs including parts that could not even be completed without a cheat to complete part of a mission.

Thief 3 Works on a sometimes basis and you can't even run the thing without an Administrators account.

Can someone at EDIOS please install confidence in me so I will take a chance on a 4th try?

KP

jtr7
17th Jun 2009, 03:37
I don't know about these problems with the games you speak of. A lot of it sounds like the expected result of new hardware and operating systems that didn't exist at all when the games were made.

There are fixes for these things, and have been for years since dual-core and multicore processors and new OSs and graphics cards, etc., made a smooth install rare, without work.

What's this "cheat" you bring up? Weird.

fayfuya
17th Jun 2009, 03:58
i never played T1 & T2, but i can tell that in Thief 3 there were few bugs, but it wasn't so dramatic, but still, i think Thief 4 would have less bugs, i'm sure of it.

Hypevosa
17th Jun 2009, 04:05
I haven't had any troubles.. the main problem is that the games die on a dual processor, so you have to set the affinity of the program to just one CPU... but other than that, I haven't had any problems at all.

Deathologist
17th Jun 2009, 05:27
I ask this with a grain of salt because I purchaced every Thief game and I feel that EDIOS was actually the Thief!

Thief 1 and 2 both had bogus installers and numerous bugs including parts that could not even be completed without a cheat to complete part of a mission.

Thief 3 Works on a sometimes basis and you can't even run the thing without an Administrators account.

Can someone at EDIOS please install confidence in me so I will take a chance on a 4th try?

KP

Obvious Troll is obvious.

Kevin Preston
17th Jun 2009, 07:53
Troll?

Aparently some of you children haven't played some of the older games of yesteryear.

I was playing Theif in 3D with a pair of IGlasses with a Geforce 2.

Also I have never owned a Dual Core PC in my life, I have however had a PC based of a Tyan Tiger that had to Seperate CPU's.

Going back to Thief 3. That sucker is FULL of bugs and their spread all over the internet in forums such as this.

Bugs during Saving games.

The little fact that you can't play the game unless you are an administrator. Just great when you want to have more than one acount on a PC.

The installer alone on Thief 1 and 2 never worked correctly. 1 Time It created a directory on install that could not be used or deleted on windows 98.

I would love to accept that Thief 4 on modern computers would be great and error free but how about ummmmm, Tomb Raider Angel of Darkess, ummmm...Tomb Raider Legend.....
Other Modern games like Spiderman 3. (activision)

I can name more MODERN games that are just thrown out there without proper bug testing or patches.

So when you quote systems that even all the componants like graphics cards are cooperating and all is sweet and drivers are updated and STILL they release a bug ridden piece of crap.

My experiance of the LAST 3 Thief games makes me cautious about spending anymore money on the series especially when newer games cost $60.00.

It's funny when you get a game that craps on you like Thief 3 and costs $40.00 and turn around and buy Far Cry or Oblivion for the same price and no real issues, you kind of want to stay away from Thief or the company that released it.

KP

jay pettitt
17th Jun 2009, 08:50
You're cute when you're angry.

Hypevosa
17th Jun 2009, 09:19
You should have just said you want them to make 100% sure there are no bugs before final release? that is something we could all agree on.

Simple, take a bunch of different rigs... dual cores, quad cores, vistas, 98's, all the types the game is supposed to work on, see if you can install it, and then see if you get any noticable bugs when you play through the game... try to be perfectionists too (because only perfectionists noticed the fact that the lucky coin in the first level of TMA was glitched into the environment, and that there was a bug counting pickpockets...)

kabatta
17th Jun 2009, 09:32
My TDP installation problem got resolved just by making the installer win 98 compatible, TMA worked with the modified "dark" file (if i'm not mistaken, this is the name of the file). There allways are solutions if you try to look for them. The Thief games were so good I could overlook any other problem.

Hamadriyad
17th Jun 2009, 15:18
Bugs?What bugs?:scratch:

jtr7
17th Jun 2009, 18:00
It makes sense that only the owner of the computer has the right to install software, expecially registry-altering Gigabytes of software. But since I don't know what it's like to not be the administrator of my own system, I don't have that install issue.

You still didn't explain this "cheat" issue, or what you are actually experiencing. The Thief forums have FAQs for a lot of these things. If you know your Thief development history, it's all explained--except for the parts you seem to have made up, but I'm hoping you'll cut the crap and get to the heart of it, O Lofty One.