PDA

View Full Version : about LGS, thief 1&2 developing (and its conclusion, for devs)

Nothke
17th Jun 2009, 00:47
Now developers should really see this!!!
although most of you probably watched this, these are two clips I found on you tube about Looking glass studios:

Developing of The Dark Project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaugYown6GA

Developing of The Metal Age:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0d7lWjecLM&feature=related

oh why did they have to die out

CONCLUSION:

1. rat-eels, two headed ogre... WTF? although it doesn't sound best, I want them in the next game, they are the herritage of LGS! genial!

2. so many unknown levels featured, they should have reached the final game.

3. "I am Greg LePiccolo, I am the project leader for TDP here at LGS which is our next gen rpg...". RPG??? what? thief was supposed to be RPG? if rpg elements were in the first game, it would have been the best game ever (although I hate rpg games), however, it is late now, so don't try to turn it into rpg!

4. "if you fire a flame arrow into a crate it'll catch fire, and if its full of dynamite it might explode if its hot enough, basically, the world understands the heat and cold, and fear and light and dark.." I know that it understands dark and light, but hot and cold, fire catching a crate? god, they are genial what they proposed to be in game!

5.I know its not about it, but Flight Unlimited game looks so much better than the Microsoft Flight Simulator of the time! it even had frequencies and ATC, FS had it 7 years later in FS 2004!

6. "we are going to have a much tighter design, based on our experiences with Thief 1", BASED ON OUR EXPERIENCES! EM has little to no experience about Thief...

7. "we don't want to change the nature of sound in Thief, we don't want to have disco tracks in the background" - EXACTLY as Eric Brosius says, but not only sound don't change the nature of everything!

8. "Mark's such a fanatic when he took a vacation, he went to Europe, and took 1000s of pictures", god, I only hope there are some fanatics in EM!

-and the last...
8. why do most of LGS members have long hair? because they are genious! Eidos Montreal, START GROWING HAIR!!!

jtr7
17th Jun 2009, 01:15
A lot of Thief is derived from RPGs but not presented in that form. The fact it's not real obvious is a plus, and only one of a thousand sources blended into the games.

Platinumoxicity
17th Jun 2009, 09:31
1980-1998, the word "RPG" in video games was just taking shape. Back then and before that time the word "RPG" meant that the player takes the role of an external character, instead of playing a game where a character or a thing or a vehicle moves or shoots by pressing buttons. Today all the FFs, WoWs and Guildwarz and other crap like that have hijacked the "RPG" label and redefined it to mean "Customizable character with experience point-based skill development system and dialogue trees in an open world" That's not what "RPG" was meant to mean when the term was invented a long time ago.

Half-Life is an RPG where the player steps in the shoes of a theoretical physicist.
Crysis is an RPG where the player takes the role of an SFOD-D operative.

kabatta
17th Jun 2009, 09:34
The vocabulary is just too flexible.

jtr7
17th Jun 2009, 21:25
I think "Playing a Role" is obviously about putting one's self in the shoes of another character, blending one's self with the character and creating something new and unique (which is nearly impossible to avoid).

ToMegaTherion
17th Jun 2009, 21:28
why do most of LGS members have long hair? because they are genious!

Quite. Long, or at least mid-length, hair should be enforced. And that's doesn't just apply to video game designers.

Platinumoxicity
17th Jun 2009, 22:00
I think "Playing a Role" is obviously about putting one's self in the shoes of another character, blending one's self with the character and creating something new and unique (which is nearly impossible to avoid).

But, you know, in most of the so-called RPGs today the player puts himself in the "shoes" of an all-powerful, immortal being who floats behind a character and controls it. ;)

jtr7
17th Jun 2009, 22:23
Correct. The taff-heads keep redefining things to force things to conform to them and pretend there's no distortion or fallacy in it.

Zahr Dalsk
18th Jun 2009, 03:30
An RPG is a game with an interactive story - ie, the player, through dialogue and actions, arranges for the occurance of one of multiple possible story paths.

This disqualifies almost all japanese games. Sorry, but it's true. It also blocks out Morrowind, Oblivion, Diablo, and those sorts.

Want some examples of RPGs? Here are a few.

Baldur's Gate. Planescape: Torment. Mass Effect. Wizardry 8.

jtr7
18th Jun 2009, 04:14
Interactive story, open to wild possibilities, but controlled by a good storyteller, is a major aspect, but ROLE-playing is becoming a character. Without that aspect, it's derivative., and I don't have a problem with that on principle, but the marketing twist on the terms, and god, the players' twisting of the terms...