PDA

View Full Version : Body Searching

Hamadriyad
16th Jun 2009, 09:34
In provious games we can only picked up what is on belts.(keys and purses) But we should able to search the body after KO or kill him/her and hiding the body. He/she may hide a note, map(and this may lead us to a side mission) under coat. Or a ring in pocket(which is he don't want to put in purse)
What do you think?

jtr7
16th Jun 2009, 09:43
I'd rather not without a clue that it would pay off. With hundreds of AI, it would be tedious trying to find something without knowing it was there. If the missions don't have anything to do with the story, then no thanks. If there are side missions than the map better not be hidden on one of a hundred AI in the area.

There's way too much focus on bothering with AI.

Hamadriyad
16th Jun 2009, 09:48
Yes, but what If you listen a conversation about a plan. Then you may chase him and learn what the plan is. But this should be only reason to ko and search him.Otherwise this may be boring as you said.

Hypevosa
16th Jun 2009, 10:30
you'd be forcing a KO or killing, and alot of players wouldn't appreciate it. (it's one of those things that pissed people off about TMA, where you were forced to kill the pagan, and then immediately forced to KO Cavador the level after)

Hamadriyad
16th Jun 2009, 16:54
At first, I thought this was a good idea, but now I think this is a bad idea.:D

Direlord
16th Jun 2009, 17:05
you could still have a extensive search type thing. right now when you use a body you first get all the loot on them then pick them up IIRC. While Garrett is getting the easy loot I think it would be reasonable for him to search the body more if you wanted to waste the time. May not lead to anything big but might just be more loot, some fluff letters, or notes about the area like a certain code or even a key to a door you would normally have to pick.

All in all though I think it's one of those features that if not part of the orginal design can be put off and cut without anyone missing it.

Hamadriyad
16th Jun 2009, 17:45
Yes, that would be good. But I don't understand one thing:what is IIRC?:)

Direlord
16th Jun 2009, 17:47
If I remember correctly

AFAIK = as far as I know

Hamadriyad
16th Jun 2009, 18:04
Thanks, I am bad with shortcuts.:)

gryphos
10th Jul 2009, 03:31
You could do this with a simple visual cue, like a belt pouch. If there was something of interest to be found, then the NPC has a belt pouch. If not, no belt pouch. Belt pouches may contain just coin, or they may have other interesting things.

jtr7
10th Jul 2009, 03:36

kabatta
10th Jul 2009, 10:47
W usually do the body search before locating the gold on the bel/ health potion.
in the awkward humour: nobody mention cavity search. it would feel wierd. :P

esme
10th Jul 2009, 11:44
W usually do the body search before locating the gold on the bel/ health potion.
in the awkward humour: nobody mention cavity search. it would feel wierd. :P

I wonder what the hammers would cut off if they caught you doing that ?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Jul 2009, 12:44
you'd be forcing a KO or killing, and alot of players wouldn't appreciate it.

That's how I feel about this idea.

TheEye
15th Jul 2009, 17:30
that's not a bad idea - it would make the game more realistic
besides, there are a lot of weird things people carry with them

tinetone
25th Aug 2011, 16:11
No. People should carry just the things we can pickopket.

jtr7
25th Aug 2011, 22:56

xAcerbusx
25th Aug 2011, 23:10
Yeah, I think you should be able to search the body, but it should be limited to what the person has physically on their body, as it was in the first three games. If they have a bow and arrow, then there were arrows strapped to their back. Or a money purse, or a key, or even a note, and so on.

Opening up an inventory screen, a la System Shock/Deus Ex, isn't quite tactile enough for Thief.

ChristheThief
3rd Sep 2011, 15:07
Sounds good, but i reckon it should stay as it is in terms of getting stuff off people.

AlexOfSpades
3rd Sep 2011, 20:34
Exactly.

Whatever you can get from body searching, you should also be able to pickpocket when stealthed.

Tryst
4th Sep 2011, 08:19
I would prefer any side missions to be notes picked up from a table or in a drawer. Forcing people to kill or KO to search a body means that ghosting the level is not possible.

jtr7
4th Sep 2011, 08:22

Platinumoxicity
4th Sep 2011, 14:19
I don't care if you could loot a few coins from the pocket of a poor guard, and you'd need to down him to get it. But to complete the main objectives it shouldn't be absolutely necessary to do that. I don't care if I don't get all the loot. I just want to complete the mission with 0 detections and 0 damage.

jtr7
4th Sep 2011, 20:42

Odyseeos
6th Sep 2011, 02:33
He/she may hide a note, map (and this may lead us to ... mission(s)) under coat. What do you think?

Just thinkin': Orphan like. Neat-o. SS2 kind of? How would one start?

minispace
7th Sep 2011, 02:56
Searching bodies (or corpses), if implemented, should take a random amount of time to complete, just like lock-picking. Imagine Garrett inside a morgue, or mausoleum, searching corpses for the MacGuffin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin). He needs to do it quickly before the next patrol (or monster) passes by, but you can't be sure how long it will take! So much tension!