PDA

View Full Version : Spot-light

IDNeon
16th Jun 2009, 06:28
Some monster in this game should add an element of difficulty by introducing a spot-light. The monster is able to light an area it wishes to inspect, thus making it harder to simply avoid the monster.

Some humans also carried torches, lighting an area, adding types of torches or lights would be interesting, like lamps and such instead of simply torches.

But, a spot light to inspect the area it wants to look for you, that would just make the game tough and it's going to need to be tough to win any medals.

jtr7
16th Jun 2009, 06:32
City Watch in watchtowers? I think the will o' wisps [sic] fulfilled the basic idea, but it could be done as an homage to LGS's "Deep Cover" game that never saw...uh...the light.

IDNeon
16th Jun 2009, 06:36
Guards like that, or the cameras from the mechanists could have them, etc. etc. The element of a spot light could be a general addition that simply makes the game more difficult.

Honestly, with the thief games I often found myself editing the sensitivity of the AI in order to make it difficult enough, it often was too easy even on expert.

It is one thing to hide in the shadows, it is another thing for the shadows to be virtually impenetrable areas...anyone remember hiding at the knees of some guard because it's so easy? Yeah right...he'd notice you just by proximity...

jtr7
16th Jun 2009, 06:48
I still haven't heard a reasonable explanation for what Garrett's Keeper training gave him that the Enforcers were warned about, and made him exceptional.

Hypevosa
16th Jun 2009, 06:49
Someone else mentioned the idea of bullseye lanterns, which is basically an archaic flashlight... if people can't see you 5 feet from their face though, how do you expect a guy in a tower to know where to put the spotlight? what structures would have spotlights that aren't maximum security prisons?

IDNeon
16th Jun 2009, 06:52
Again, mechanist cameras with some kind of spotlight, and by spotlight I definitely mean that to include things like flashlights or definitely bullseye lanterns (which can be introduced in a mine or such with miner's helmets).

Anything that illuminates a specific area so well that it removes your advantages of the shadows.

jtr7
16th Jun 2009, 06:52
If we go with the Mechanist Watchers (or even the Hammer version if Cragscleft), then they would only spot him if he stepped into the line of sight, and then it would track him. But unless it's redesigned to look up and down as well, Garrett can still sprint and stand underneath it unseen (a risky move, but most of the time, it would predictably work).

IDNeon
16th Jun 2009, 07:13
With the addition of a spot light in that case you couldn't back up into a shadow and wait out the machine....that's a bonus. Plus the machine's activity would alert nearby guards to your presence whether or not the machine has yet sounded off the entire building's alarms.

DarthEnder
16th Jun 2009, 08:44
I also like the idea of maybe some tree beasts have nests of fireflies inside, and they send swarms out to fly around in dark corners. The fireflies themselves can't be alerted, but they light up the area around them so the tree beast can see you.

Hypevosa
16th Jun 2009, 08:54
I also like the idea of maybe some tree beasts have nests of fireflies inside, and they send swarms out to fly around in dark corners. The fireflies themselves can't be alerted, but they light up the area around them so the tree beast can see you.

that's one crazy ass idea... I love it.

jtr7
16th Jun 2009, 09:05
That could be a different kind of bugshot, heh, and I've always thought fireflies would be nice to see in-game one day.