PDA

View Full Version : Should Garrett have his own place or stay in inns across the city?

fayfuya
15th Jun 2009, 12:57
Well, i don't like that idea of Garrett having a home like in TDS, it's not hidden house or a secret place, it's an apartment, the guard in your building says "oh Garrett it's you! i thought some1 broke in or something"...it's a bit silly...if Garrett had a diffirent home, more hidden or something else, it would be better.
So, i came with the idea that Garrett should be staying in several Inn-Taverns across the city, with a payment-tab, Garrett may get some side-missions there by listening to thugs discussing, for his own profit.
The city watch may sometimes brake into the inn and search for criminals, especially for you.
You should be able to change from inn to inn when you wish to.
You can make a story that the city watch found Garrett's place, broke into it at daylight and force Garrett to flee (it can be a daylight mission), after that Garrett decides to stay in an inn, or find an abanded castle or a small hovel and stay there or something....

Hypevosa
15th Jun 2009, 13:12
Traveling to a new inn every time would be too risky, you can't trust anyone there. If you stay in the same place things can at least be predictable, or influenced, like bribing the landlord and the guard to not turn you in. Having a steady home also means you can do what you want to it, i.e. secret doors, roof hatch for access to thieves highway... things you cannot do to a hotel room. I think Garrett has enough cash at the end of TDS (I had 41 grand damnit) to afford his own place, top floor of a building, enough money has passed that no one even questions his identity, just accepts his presence, and the place is pretty pimped out... secret roof hatch, secret armory with his extra gear, a very, very nice safe to store his gold in, and various other things. Garrett also has other hideaways we learn in TDS, when he starts living in a room that's on the rooftop of a building in old quarter. He can save his cash for better things...

Hamadriyad
15th Jun 2009, 13:43
Garrett has always a landlord. But I like your idea. Not everytime but sometimes(If mission needs it.We may long long way from home:D )we can stay at a inn. Also we should able to go anytime we want.(for information.)

esme
15th Jun 2009, 13:52
I always thought that little room on the roof of the inn in TDS had promise, add a back door behind a bookshelf and it's home sweet home

Necros
15th Jun 2009, 14:53
I always thought that little room on the roof of the inn in TDS had promise, add a back door behind a bookshelf and it's home sweet home
Sounds good, though I liked Garrett's home in Thief 3 too.

kabatta
15th Jun 2009, 15:12
I liked his home in TMA.

Aristofiles
15th Jun 2009, 16:23
well i dont find it that strange that Garrett has his own appartment. after all its ways less suspicious than a secret lair somewere. He lives in a bad area of the town and im sure alot of his neighbours deal in shady affairs themself and im sure that the landloard dosent give a rats ass were Garrett gets his money from.

jtr7
15th Jun 2009, 17:03
Give him a home-base where he's generally secure, and not so close to a City Watch station, and give him SAFEHOUSES. Like in the older games, only let us visit at least one safehouse this time. Having him at inns across the city means a lot of legitimate businesses are aiding and abetting him, plus he'd rob all the guests and the inns would shut down. Owing several inns money might be the reason he struggles to pay his landlord, but no.

fayfuya
15th Jun 2009, 18:01
Yesi guess your'e right, but Garrett's home in TDS were pretty lame...please make it better this time.
jtr7 i haven't seen city watch station...but if there would be few City Watch Stations....it's gonna be so damn cool! we will be able to break into there...i hope that Pavelock Prison stays in Thief 4 :D
But his home in TDS isn't hidden, i think there should be cave-home for Garrett or something, anything a bit more hidden, just please not that apartment, how about a house that can be opened only by a glyph? you know...a glyph-door to his house, the city watch can't enter, the keepers have no reason to do that, or maybe Garrett can put some defences against them, this house would be hidden well with a glyph-door i think.
Please say your opinion on this glyph-door idea...it's pretty intersting.

DiegoFloor
16th Jun 2009, 22:21
Actually.. having such titles as "master thief" and "artist", I think he should have a better home! :D With a reasonable amount of money he could chose only the jobs that are worth it.

fayfuya
18th Jun 2009, 04:40
But what about a home with a glyph door? only Garrett can open it.

jtr7
18th Jun 2009, 04:49
There are no more glyphs.

Here's another sick possibility: the Mark on his hand opens all doors everywhere. Way too powerful. I think it's too soon to see him use that Mark for it's intended purpose if it's not simply a Mark. It's certainly not a glyph, but it may be something new. His hand could be a key the way the Talismans were keys (if they weren't glyph magic only, meaning they too are now just painted bricks).

Hamadriyad
18th Jun 2009, 09:06
This mark is important in my opinion. But I don't know what kind of power that it has.

Terr
18th Jun 2009, 19:04
I think it's just that. A mark. As in, an indicator. No superpowers-from-tattoos.

fayfuya
18th Jun 2009, 19:13
Then i have a better idea how about like a "code" that you have to push few specific bricks on a wall and it open your'e home's hidden door, i think it's better that way.

Hamadriyad
18th Jun 2009, 19:19
I remember Harry Potter suddenly:D

fayfuya
18th Jun 2009, 19:41
Yeah it's like in Harry Potter, but it doesn't have to be a "bricks dance" :D, it can be any other code to the house.

13LACK13ISHOP
18th Jun 2009, 19:45
The inn from ds.

Sierra Oscar
18th Jun 2009, 19:47
The idea of having multiple hide-outs is nice, but I like the way it was done in TDS.

jtr7
18th Jun 2009, 19:54
Seriously? Everybody coming in and out of his home, knowing he's there? Or do you mean he has an apartment and nothing else, which breaks with canon? Or what do you mean?

fayfuya
19th Jun 2009, 03:28
The home in TDS was lame, it wasn't hidden, it's just not realistic.

jtr7
19th Jun 2009, 03:38
I liked the two-storey and taller apartment buildings in the earlier games, and would like to see him in this place again, but in-game:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/jtr7/TG_B13_00606.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/jtr7/GarrettsAptCityView.jpg

Climb out the window onto the ladder and up onto the Thieves' Highway!

Thieffanman
19th Jun 2009, 03:43
If Thief 4 required travel outside the city to different towns (or countries :)), I'd say that Garrett needs different places to hide. As for inns: Inn doors could be easily picked by rivals looking to do you in; the Keepers' Enforcers broke into Garrett's *apartment* in TDS-- I don't think public inns could provide anything more secure :). I say Garrett needs secure, hidden places to stay, maybe at a cost to a local fence, black marketeer, etc..

If T4 takes place in the city again --perhaps different portions of it-- I say keep his one apartment, *however* I'd want the option to set traps at the doors and windows, assuming any closed windows could be used as entry points. I look at it from this point of view: If I was a thief, I wouldn't want to make it easy for someone to steal the stuff I stole from someone else.

--Thieffanman

Its My Delorean
19th Jun 2009, 03:43
As far as I'm aware...Garrett never had a hidden home, and did just have a regular apartment. Wasn't there a whole mission in Thief 2 where he robbed some warehouses, just so he could pay rent? If he had a hidden apartment, why would he be having to pay rent?

Nah, I say he should still live in an apartment, as the way I see it, his thievery was always, in part, a way to make ends meet.

It's possible that's changed though, with the end of Deadly Shadows...

jtr7
19th Jun 2009, 03:51
He went to his SAFEHOUSE in Shalebridge when he was ambushed and his apartment was invaded by the City Watch.

Nate
19th Jun 2009, 05:21
No wonder Garrett is poor in spite of all the loot he steals, he has to pay rent for 20 different apartments!

jtr7
19th Jun 2009, 05:27
Exactly! He can't blackmail all his landlords! :D

fayfuya
19th Jun 2009, 08:15
Having an apartment is nice, i know what you guys are talking about, but it's not secured! just let's discuss about a code to the house or a secret handle for opening the house or something...a thief won't live in a regular apartment you can't deny it.

JohnnyB_©
19th Jun 2009, 09:29
In Oblivion the Assasins Guild were based in the dungeon of an Abandoned House that was secured by a Magic Door (with fancy Symbols) that only the members could open saying a passcode.
People in the town were spreading rumors that the house was haunted and thus noone was approaching it. Near the house was a Well that provided alternative exit from the dungeon later on when u advanced Rank in the Assasins Guild.

Alternatively (and again from Oblivion) there was an abandoned Fortress outside a town (full of traps to enter) that was also used for a dwelling once u reached the end of it. I still remember the secret exit it had inside the dead carcass of a huge dead Tree.

Maybe they can include it as an initial mission entering and claiming your new residence and then continue with the Storyline.

jtr7
19th Jun 2009, 09:31
That, and there are lots of abandoned places, too.

TheMasterBuilder
19th Jun 2009, 22:31
Garrett is always broke 'cause he's either an alcoholic or a womanizer. Why else would he need soo much money if not for the entertainment of wyminz and in return his own entertainment. Seeing as how alcohol always makes the ladies swoon, and how garrett always seems soo smooth, i'm thinking he's always buzzed up before, during, and after "missions".

Thieffanman
19th Jun 2009, 22:57
Garrett is always broke 'cause he's either an alcoholic or a womanizer. Why else would he need soo much money if not for the entertainment of wyminz and in return his own entertainment. Seeing as how alcohol always makes the ladies swoon, and how garrett always seems soo smooth, i'm thinking he's always buzzed up before, during, and after "missions".

LOL "Thief 4: Outlaw Lovin'"

It would be the first Thief game soundtracked with Barry White music :).

--Thieffanman

P.S. The collector's edition could come with a box of medieval condoms and a guide to singles' bars in Garrett's city :).

jtr7
19th Jun 2009, 23:48
Hahahahaha!

Gonna get him some o' that Spice smuggled in by Captain Carr (Cap'n Davidson had a drowning "accident").

fayfuya
20th Jun 2009, 07:36
JohnnyB i liked the oblivion idea, an abandoned small castle, with rumors of it's being haunted, only for Garrett, from the outside it looks scary, but from the inside it's very comfortable and of course dark with few candles.
I'm not talking about a big place, but a big house that looks like a castle, a haunted one, with of course a well or a tunnel for escapes.
But a haunted house in the city isn't good, cause the whole area around you will be empty, because noon will live or pass there.
It's complicated, just throw some ideas.

trysil
22nd Jun 2009, 09:45
Yeah, a small apartment in a haunted house somewhere in the outskirts of the city with a couple of small safehouses within the city. He doesn't want anyone to bother him and it is safe from city watch since they don't believe anyone would live there.
In the beginning he has lived in the haunted house for a couple of months and come to an agreement with the ghosts "You don't bother me, I don't call the excorcist". As the story begins the ghosts are behaving oddly giving a hint that something is rotten in the City.

fayfuya
22nd Jun 2009, 10:34
Yes, good idea trysil, but it doesn't have to be haunted, Garrett can make sure to spread the rumors that the house is haunted, although it's not....but that's the final idea i guesss.it's perfect.

esme
22nd Jun 2009, 12:29

naaaaah he's secretly a weresquirrel, at night he metamorphoses, steals stuff, buries it and forgets where by the morning as he's turned back by then, he suspects none of this except for a lingering taste of hazelnuts in the morning :D

Acorn
27th Jun 2009, 21:35
I always assumed Garrett was renting under a fake name in T1 and 2.

Also I like his homes in some of the fan missions, where it looks like he never unlocks the front door because he has OTHER ways out. Either a crawl space hes added that leads to an adjacent yard behind some bushes, or he has the loft apartment and easy access to the rooftop "Thieves highway" through a big window. Or direct access to the sewers.

fayfuya
6th Jul 2009, 14:02
The rooftops are much more exciting than sewers i must say :D but now i got remembed, that in Garrett's home...we couldn't do ANYTHING except for practingi picklocks are fighting, but that was very useless, i never practiced there, we should have some options to maybe choose are weapons...or some other options...throw some ideas :D

Fatherwoodsie
6th Jul 2009, 18:33
the lockpicking practice was useless. if you pick one lock, you picked them all. some just take longer. garretts home is retarted theres nothing to do there but wish there was soemthing to do so you end up leaving.

CavaliereNero
6th Jul 2009, 22:17
I loved that Garrett had an apartment, though I liked his Metal Age pad better than the one in DS. After saving up for his retirement for three games, I wouldn't be against him buying his own property, though as was mentioned earlier, it would probably be best for it to look abandoned or decrepit to deter other thieves and as not to attract attention. He is used to rather spartan accommodations afterall.

Fatherwoodsie
10th Jul 2009, 06:43
yeah that secret closet with the lever and all the goodies inside. how you can jump out the windows and different doors. what an awesome level

jtr7
10th Jul 2009, 07:00

[PT] Garret [PT]
10th Jul 2009, 10:09
Yesi guess your'e right, but Garrett's home in TDS were pretty lame...please make it better this time.
jtr7 i haven't seen city watch station...but if there would be few City Watch Stations....it's gonna be so damn cool! we will be able to break into there...i hope that Pavelock Prison stays in Thief 4 :D
But his home in TDS isn't hidden, i think there should be cave-home for Garrett or something, anything a bit more hidden, just please not that apartment, how about a house that can be opened only by a glyph? you know...a glyph-door to his house, the city watch can't enter, the keepers have no reason to do that, or maybe Garrett can put some defences against them, this house would be hidden well with a glyph-door i think.
Please say your opinion on this glyph-door idea...it's pretty intersting.

Glyph Door is a good idea :D

Flashart
10th Jul 2009, 10:31
I think Garrett would have one small house/room as his "home", but a more safe/secluded "store" for the loot. Then a couple of "bolt holes" around the city, just a bedroll and some emergency gear.
Until he decides to "settle down" he'd want to be more mobile and not risk getting caught with everything in one place.