PDA

View Full Version : Adam's sunglasses...

serrath
12th Jun 2009, 03:32
He takes them off at night, right? I mean, they can't pull the my-vision-is-augmented joke in this one, can they?

3nails4you
12th Jun 2009, 04:02
I think they have to. They really need to make it an all-night game again :D

BlazeL
12th Jun 2009, 04:34
Sunglasses at night (TM) is a must! Just like an all night game is it. I don't care about an explanation.

You just figured out the ultimate reason of IW's fail. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1023824#post1023824) Don't ask them to repeat it!

Irate_Iguana
12th Jun 2009, 06:32
Even the Blues Brothers wore sunglasses at night. You don't want Adam to be less cool than the Blues Brothers, do you?

Sabretooth1
12th Jun 2009, 06:58
They really need to make it an all-night game again :D

That Montreal concept art unofficially says that's going to happen (but you never know, as René says, all the pics we have right now are already outdated). But I too, would really love a Deus Ex game set exclusively at night and with the sunglasses on at night. :cool:

Spyhopping
12th Jun 2009, 10:53
I'd sure like to see Adam occasionally without sunglasses- it would be daft for him to have them glued to his face the entire duration of the game. Or the player could have the choice whether or not to wear them.

It's a long shot, but that choice could be a tool for the social interaction part of the game. Sunglasses conceal a lot of communication and make lying easier along with making you appear more guarded. It definitely affects your interaction with someone when you first meet them in real life, and could be used as a tool to change the outcome of a conversation. For example, if he wanted to show that he was being earnest and sincere about something, he could take them off.

Nothing wrong with sunglasses at night though :D

PenguinsFriend
12th Jun 2009, 12:16
I think they have to. They really need to make it an all-night game again :D

Boo - I like the nighttime aspect but there should be some day stuff as well. You can have Adam syumbling out of a bar at 7 am with red blerry eyes and reeking of stale vomit and beer. You know, the more realism the better lol

KSingh77
12th Jun 2009, 17:08
Adam and the Blues Brother would make an ultimate team.

serrath
12th Jun 2009, 20:03
They've already confirmed that it won't just be night-time.

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses..."
"Hit it."

Blade_hunter
12th Jun 2009, 20:52
My vision is augmented :D

FrankCSIS
12th Jun 2009, 22:34
You don't want Adam to be less cool than the Blues Brothers, do you?

I think it's empirically impossible to outcool the Blues Brothers.

Well, except for Steve McQueen, but he was the King of Cool.

Jerion
13th Jun 2009, 00:07

This post, the truth it tells.

KSingh77
13th Jun 2009, 01:34
My vision is blurred and augments are damaged from all the JD whiskey.

K^2
13th Jun 2009, 10:39
I'm too lazy to quote, so I'm going to reply in no particular order, and hope you guys can sort it out.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's night, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Sunglasses could have light amplification built in. Glasses are one of the oldest augmentations that are still around. Why not tie in old with the new?

And I now have Sunglasses At Night stuck in my head. Thank you very much.

teknikal-vision
14th Jun 2009, 12:43
I'd sure like to see Adam occasionally without sunglasses- it would be daft for him to have them glued to his face the entire duration of the game. Or the player could have the choice whether or not to wear them.

It's a long shot, but that choice could be a tool for the social interaction part of the game.

Nothing wrong with sunglasses at night though :D

Very good idea... Sunglasses say alot about a person. And Since Deus Ex has always been about fine-tuning a loosely pre-defined character to reflect your own personality, I think having the options to take them off for conversational reasons is a cool idea. :D

But I'm all for sunglasses for the heck of it just to make you look cool (especially at night)!

Irate_Iguana
14th Jun 2009, 17:16
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's night, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Seeing as how JC comes after Adam, both biblical names. The UN has all these angelic security clearances and there might even be a GOD clearance. Adam could be on a mission from God, same as the Blues Brothers. It would explain the sunglasses.

rokstrombo
15th Jun 2009, 01:31
I wonder what the Penguin would think of Adam? Hopefully he doesn't have too much of a foul mouth! :)

K^2
15th Jun 2009, 12:26
Ah. A nun with a wooden ruler. Bane of every augmented super agent.

Ninjerk
15th Jun 2009, 15:58

Too bad for all of them that Miles Davis was the Coolest Man in the World.

serrath
15th Jun 2009, 21:58
Or maybe he'd be better if he were all Leroy Brown...

jordan_a
18th Jun 2009, 12:21
The glasses are the HUD. It would be interesting to see what happens if Adam looses them.

K^2
18th Jun 2009, 14:18
If they could actually render it, Adam putting on glasses, with the HUD coming into view as he does so, that would be an epic scene.

General idea has been done, though. Was there anything like this before HL? I want to say yes, but I can't recall any game in particular. At any rate, it's been at least that long.

foxberg
18th Jun 2009, 15:30
Adam is a grand son of Riddic"k". He has an inherited Eyeshine.

serrath
18th Jun 2009, 17:06
The glasses are the HUD. It would be interesting to see what happens if Adam looses them.

I'm guessing the HUD would just get looser, too.

Pyronox
18th Jun 2009, 18:13
Ok check this: Adam's job place gets attacked during the day and he's wearing sunglasses cause he's patrolling the rooftop at zenith, but in the attack, his face gets damage and he loses an eye. Then they fix him up and he asks for a second augmented eye since it feels funny with just one (this is probably how it would go IRL. In before: it's unlikely he'd lose both eyes, so yeah.). Then he comes out of the place with his sunglasses on, but suddenly realizes it's night and takes off his sunglasses but sees there's no difference. So he puts em back on and says an awesome one-liner like so:

"Function over form? Pah, let's do with both."

Necros
28th Jun 2009, 07:20
Hm, that's a pretty good idea. :thumb:

AaronJ
5th Jul 2009, 23:19

SNOWBLINDED.

Glasses HUD redeemed.

serrath
6th Jul 2009, 04:42
SNOWBLINDED.

Glasses HUD redeemed.

Just for wearing them loose? Nahhh.

How about... the HUD loses focus?

Jerion
6th Jul 2009, 05:22
Just for wearing them loose? Nahhh.

How about... the HUD loses focus?

The HUD loses focus? Interesting use of a Depth of Field effect. :)

And if he takes them off, you have no HUD at all! :D

serrath
7th Jul 2009, 04:40
The HUD loses focus? Interesting use of a Depth of Field effect. :)

And if he takes them off, you have no HUD at all! :D

Really this whole "looses" thing is a long, drawn out wag of the finger at his misspelling of "loses", but yeah, it'd be cool to have the HUD get affected by your motion as if it were something attached to you. It'd make it feel more... immersive. (Interestingly enough, the spell checker in Google Chrome does not recognize immersive as a word.)

Irate_Iguana
7th Jul 2009, 08:41
it'd be cool to have the HUD get affected by your motion as if it were something attached to you.

For about two minutes. After that you either get motion sickness or the very fact that your hud moves independently from the rest of the screen or blurs will make you want to kill whoever designed the hud. Let's keep the gimmicky stuff to a minimum. Just develop a clean hud with the info that I need/want. Nothing fancy.

Interestingly enough, the spell checker in Google Chrome does not recognize immersive as a word.

It has become an annoying marketing buzzword devoid of meaning so I can’t blame Chrome. Ever since Fallout 3 and Beths constant use of it I have become sick and tired of the word.

serrath
8th Jul 2009, 02:53
I don't mean have the whole thing lose focus, I just mean instead of having hit indicators or that sort of thing, you have the HUD get jarred slightly in a way that would indicate where you got hit, or when you fall and take damage the HUD would get shaken for a moment and maybe fade or lose focus somewhat. It'd fit nicely with their regenerating health system in lieu of a healthbar. :p

Right. I forgot it was a word invented by the video game industry and not actually a part of the English language.

Irate people suck. Iguanas are okayish.

phlebas
8th Jul 2009, 21:22
He must wear sunglasses at night. So he can watch others weave then breath their story lines. I think he also needs to keep track of visions in his eyes.

Besides, the man's augmented, albeit mechanically. Sunglasses will hardly hamper his ability to see.