PDA

View Full Version : SHOPS / TRADERS (economy, black market, fences, loan sharks...)

Nothke
11th Jun 2009, 23:22
Now this considers ONLY IF Thef 4 is going to feature a full city (like in TDS)

For a start I want to say that black market shops in TDS was a total stupidity to me. Who would sell precious climbing gloves or lock mechanisms right in the entrance of the shop??? When you sell illegal, you hold it either in your backroom, or in your pocket. And also there were no legal shops featured, probably because you are a thief and you don't like that kind of people... but who would refuse if you offer money?
This is what I think of shops that might be in thef 4, I divided them in illegal and legal:

Illegal:

- street salesmen - they hang out in streets, usually in corners, they are some kind of moving black markets of TDS. they start walking and whistling if the town watch aproaches, and run if they notice them... they mostly sell small things that fits their pockets like lockpicks, keys, gems, potions. there are more of them than other shops. they might also offer you job
- fences - people who buy stolen items for money. also can offer job
- shops backrooms - some normal legal shops might have backrooms in which are illegal goods. you ask a shop owner usualy in password to go in the back and offer you something. they can sell anything - arrows, lockpicks, locks, potions, bombs...
- loan sharks - they give money, but ask for big debt. If you don't return in time, they might search and kill you...
- rogue priests - holy water

Legal:

- blacksmith - sells weapons like swords, blackjacks, lances, maces (although most of things not used by Garrett, but might be used by other people)
- fletcher - makes arrows, you can buy arrows there
- pawnbroker - you can give items for money (small amount of money comparing to fences but at least they are legal and reliable)
- apothecary - you can buy herbs, potions...
- optics - you can sell optical items (eyeglasses, o. instruments), or buy items, maybe fix your mechanical eye.
- jewelry - you can sell gems there, and also if you are in need of money, you can pay them a "visit".
- mechanical manufacturers - they make mechanical objects such as locks, clocks, mines, bombs, cameras... they might be responsible for a new lock type in town. They might also be interested in buying delicate mechanic instruments.
- churches - candles?

and of course pubs, taverns should be central place of the thief's life, you can buy/sell things, you can get jobs, talk to people, get drunk (not Garrett), listen to live music, or get caught by guards...

would it be too complicated or just ok?

hexhunter
11th Jun 2009, 23:46
Some good ideas..

Also,
- Alchemists
- Adventurer shops - Sell lots of things useful for a thief, rope arrows, scouting orbs etc
- Barbers - Also do surgery jobs, because they are cheap and have lots of knives (realistic actually)
- Street stalls - Sell food for the thief with no time to stop

Sierra Oscar
11th Jun 2009, 23:58
The idea of a truly dynamic city, where you could enter multiple full planned buildings such as homes and the like would be perfect to allow for "Shop Backrooms" and the like.

Nothke
12th Jun 2009, 00:04
more characters that might offer something:
- other thieves - rivalry, competition (reminds of oceans twelve)
- wardens of the city - mentioned in the Bafords manor - Raputo, Webster, Ramirez (if not considered dead)

Nothke
12th Jun 2009, 00:11
oh, forgot to say:
- bookshops - read/learn/buy/sell books

The idea of a truly dynamic city, where you could enter multiple full planned buildings such as homes and the like would be perfect to allow for "Shop Backrooms" and the like.

yes, also I didn't mention that all shops should be accessible by walkng in, not just looking on the table, so you can just if you want to buy something, or steal something...

Thieffanman
12th Jun 2009, 06:01

For a start I want to say that black market shops in TDS was a total stupidity to me. Who would sell precious climbing gloves or lock mechanisms right in the entrance of the shop??? When you sell illegal, you hold it either in your backroom, or in your pocket. And also there were no legal shops featured, probably because you are a thief and you don't like that kind of people... but who would refuse if you offer money?
This is what I think of shops that might be in thef 4, I divided them in illegal and legal:

Illegal:

- street salesmen - they hang out in streets, usually in corners, they are some kind of moving black markets of TDS. they start walking and whistling if the town watch aproaches, and run if they notice them... they mostly sell small things that fits their pockets like lockpicks, keys, gems, potions. there are more of them than other shops. they might also offer you job
- shops backrooms - some normal legal shops might have backrooms in which are illegal goods. you ask a shop owner usualy in password to go in the back and offer you something. they can sell anything - arrows, lockpicks, locks, potions, bombs...
- loan sharks - they give money, but ask for big debt. If you don't return in time, they might search and kill you...

These make sense. I can only guess that the back alleys with the red hand print existed because of monthly payments to the city guard to look the other way :). The 'street salesmen' make me think of guys in overcoats trying to sell me "real Rolux watches" and "Guchi jewelry" ;).

Legal:

- blacksmith - sells weapons like swords, blackjacks, lances, maces (although most of things not used by Garrett, but might be used by other people)
- pawnbroker - you can give items for money (small amount of money comparing to fences but at least they are legal and reliable)
- optics - you can sell optical items (eyeglasses, o. instruments), or buy items, maybe fix your mechanical eye.
- jewelry - you can sell gems there, and also if you are in need of money, you can pay them a "visit".
- mechanical manufacturers - they make mechanical objects such as locks, clocks, mines, bombs, cameras... they might be responsible for a new lock type in town. They might also be interested in buying delicate mechanic instruments.
- churches - candles?

and of course pubs, taverns should be central place of the thief's life, you can buy/sell things, you can get jobs, talk to people, get drunk (not Garrett), listen to live music, or get caught by guards...

I like the idea of making the town more varied in regards to places to shop, plus the idea of "paying places a visit" if you're short of funds.

When the city layout is designed for T4, I think these ideas could work if the devs flesh them out more (ie. the apothecary sells healing potions and/or weapons poison, the food stalls sell food and food=a point of health, etc.).

--Thieffanman

ToMegaTherion
12th Jun 2009, 08:33
It would also be fun if you were invited into a back room by a Shady Fellow and you found it filled with City Watch.

Hypevosa
12th Jun 2009, 09:14
This is what I had to say on the matter...

While shopping, when we take items, we should bag em, and then walk to the counter to pay for them... or we can attempt to leave with them -- let the player make the choice. If they decide to leave with them, they can't do business at that shop ever again. If they kill the shop keep they can't do business there obviously, but other criminals come after them for doing it "you killed benny... we liked benny you bastard....". And if you managed to get in and out unnoticed with goods, anything there would cost extra the next time to cover the losses from what's stolen, and if you stole too much they'd just go under, meaning no buying from them ever again.

What I'd like to see even more, would be you go into a clothing store, you look at the clerk and he slides you a note. Reading the note, it tells you that each item corresponds to something he has in stock. "Green scarfs - gas arrows, red scarfs - fire arrows, blue hat -slow fall potion etc." and then you go through, pickout the items, and pay for them at the register, he takes your cash and the items and slides you a bag under the table. Any way where they would show how the places were hiding themselves as normal businesses would be cool. And however many of that item was in stock would be the availability of that item. (only 3 green scarfs means he has 3 gas arrows). And maybe every now and then someone else would be getting supplies, and you could lift some of their items before they checked out if you wanted them (damn, he has the last green scarf... well, not anymore *lift*)

The problem I see with having actual legitimate businesses is that they probably wouldn't be open when Garrett does his shopping. So if they existed they'd probably be just places to steal from (every time you steal from there the security goes up, until you've done it so much the place goes under).

fayfuya
12th Jun 2009, 13:39
Nothke you are so damn right i never noticed that part before, Eidos should really fix it!

Hamadriyad
12th Jun 2009, 16:33
Some good ideas..

Also,
- Alchemists
- Adventurer shops - Sell lots of things useful for a thief, rope arrows, scouting orbs etc
- Barbers - Also do surgery jobs, because they are cheap and have lots of knives (realistic actually)

Alchemists? Why?

Myth
12th Jun 2009, 17:56
What is this, Sim City? Loan sharks? The HELL? Remember how Garrett doesn't want to be known and seen? He also does not operate with any of the "thieves guilds". He has a hard time buying equipment (TDS excluded, but don't get me started) when Farkus was alive.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8mspuF_XPw

Honestly i can't see Garrett dealing with loan sharks, peddlers in the streets where he is exposed, or anyone else he does not *have* to deal with. Anyone who Garrett visits for equipment is someone who can set him up and betray him. These additions are too influenced by TDS's infinite shopping mall system which was deeply retarded and not Thief as far as i'm concerned.

Platinumoxicity
12th Jun 2009, 19:01
If they're going to make a wide variety of shops, the shops need their own signs or logos instead of just a random doors with a red handprint or a taffin' Finnish National Emblem hanging from the wall like in TDS.
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8130/finemb.png
WTF

Hypevosa
12th Jun 2009, 19:29
yeah I have to agree about the loan sharks... it's completely unnecessary. The peddlers on the street I can see, but not as a place where you actually buy stuff, but more as interactive scenery... you know, seeing a guard chase them down every now and then.

Terr
12th Jun 2009, 19:43
What I'd like to see even more, would be you go into a clothing store, you look at the clerk and he slides you a note. Reading the note, it tells you that each item corresponds to something he has in stock. "Green scarfs - gas arrows, red scarfs - fire arrows, blue hat -slow fall potion etc."

Like the "Ice Cream" in Pizza Tycoon...

Nothke
12th Jun 2009, 20:25
What is this, Sim City? Loan sharks? The HELL? Remember how Garrett doesn't want to be known and seen? He also does not operate with any of the "thieves guilds". He has a hard time buying equipment (TDS excluded, but don't get me started) when Farkus was alive.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8mspuF_XPw

Honestly i can't see Garrett dealing with loan sharks, peddlers in the streets where he is exposed, or anyone else he does not *have* to deal with. Anyone who Garrett visits for equipment is someone who can set him up and betray him. These additions are too influenced by TDS's infinite shopping mall system which was deeply retarded and not Thief as far as i'm concerned.

Yeah, you might be right... "Farkus is one of the few merchants willing to risk selling to an INDEPENDANT like me, and his prices are steep...", an independant, but it was the fourth mission in the first part, what if Garrett is not anymore an independant but has more connections, as seen throughout other games... however even if not buying, they might be there for paying a "visit"... but I still think loan sharks are a good idea.

If they're going to make a wide variety of shops, the shops need their own signs or logos instead of just a random doors with a red handprint or a taffin' Finnish National Emblem hanging from the wall like in TDS.

WTF

hahaha, maybe a coincidence... but I think when they developed the models and textures for a game, they saw pictures of medieval castles, houses, they might have seen it there...

Some good ideas..

Also,
- Alchemists

- Alchemists - I don;t remember hearing about alchemists in thief universe (although I imagined that the next antagonist might be one)... it is close to apothecary
- Adventurer shops - I wouldn't say adventurers have shops... I see adventurers as those explorers of the tomb of quintus, clumsy, and always die for no cause...
- Barbers - you are a fan of Sweeney Todd, right? might just be there for other people.
- Street stalls - why not, there were some in TDS, but were useless, they could be used for fruit

Also if you want think of anythink else just play "Shipping and receiving" once again, there are a lot of jobs there: musician, sculptists, baker (with spider meat, ooooh)...

Platinumoxicity
12th Jun 2009, 20:49
Yeah, you might be right... "Farkus is one of the few merchants willing to risk selling to an INDEPENDANT like me, and his prices are steep...", an independant, but it was the fourth mission in the first part, what if Garrett is not anymore an independant but has more connections, as seen throughout other games... however even if not buying, they might be there for paying a "visit"... but I still think loan sharks are a good idea.

Garrett is still independant. An independant thief in the Thief world means that he hasn't "joined" that means "hasn't been succesfully forced to be a part of" a guild, where the warden takes the majority of the profits and the rest is shared among the other thieves. Garrett steals everything by himself and takes all the profit. The reason why Garrett said that "Farkus is one of the few merchants willing to risk selling to an independant like me" is because the wardens are "protecting" the businesses that are selling that kind of equipment and if the merchant makes suspicious sales, for example to independants, they send some toughboys to "educate" the merchants.

Nothke
12th Jun 2009, 21:07
Garrett is still independant. An independant thief in the Thief world means that he hasn't "joined" that means "hasn't been succesfully forced to be a part of" a guild, where the warden takes the majority of the profits and the rest is shared among the other thieves. Garrett steals everything by himself and takes all the profit. The reason why Garrett said that "Farkus is one of the few merchants willing to risk selling to an independant like me" is because the wardens are "protecting" the businesses that are selling that kind of equipment and if the merchant makes suspicious sales, for example to independants, they send some toughboys to "educate" the merchants.

O K ! Garrett is independant, but anyway he visits 3-4 black markets in TDS, AND has a fence (who is killed before he meets him in a mission)!!!!!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Jun 2009, 21:49

Illegal:

Legal:

- churches - candles?

A very good thread idea and introduction, if I say so myself.
I've linked it via Keeper Diary. :thumb:

Platinumoxicity
12th Jun 2009, 22:08
This has nothing to do with this thread, so I'll make it small.

O K ! Garrett is independant, but anyway he visits 3-4 black markets in TDS, AND has a fence (who is killed before he meets him in a mission)!!!!!

Another example of things that the devs of TDS forgot that they had in the earlier games, such as the fact that the pagans hated the City and brick buildings but in TDS they had entire colonies living in those things, T2 was not too long before TDS* but all the convenient mechanist technology was suddenly gone in TDS, and an ultra powerful evil artifact that needed entire blocks of undead, a cursed cathedral with 4 magic locks with the keys hidden all over the City, and an army of skeletal warriors to keep it out of the reach of anyone was placed in a museum, guarded by a few humans.

*The only reason why Garrett would seem to want to read the prophecies in his first conversation with artemus in TDS was because the words "tell me" in the end of T2, so they can't be too far apart.

Why am I rambling again? :nut:

Nothke
13th Jun 2009, 00:42
wow, a hell of a researcher you are!!! thanks. so there is alchemy... you might give a proposition...

Off-topic response to Platinumoxicity:
I cannot ever remember where the official quotes are, but one year has past between TMA & TDS, and two years between TMA & TDP/Gold. In BOTH older games, the Keeper tells Garrett there's a book he should read. The first time, Garrett refuses and the Keeper then warns him of the Metal Age. At the end of Metal Age the Keeper tells him it was all written, every bit of it--suggesting that Garrett could've been given a head's up if he hadn't refused to look at it before. Now he's intrigued. If we assume (yes, assume) that the annoying, though not drastic, shift in Garrett's character in TDS came from having read some books in the past year, then we can pretend he's now got an edge over the Keepers' interpretation of the Glyphs, since he can see better how the Glyphs speak of himself than they could. His cockiness in cutting through the Keeper bull would be fueled by his intimate knowledge. Artemus would let him see certain books, but not the ones necessary for the 9 days of TDS. For the meaty volumes, Gamall suggests he prove his worth by retrieving the Chalice and Paw. It's been over a year after TMA, since Garrett moved into a new apartment (a minor thing, yes), the Hammers held the Heresy Trials against the Mechanists and have recovered many of their former number, the Mechanist technology is already being called "old" and--as you mentioned--has been stripped out for the most part. There are more signs that a good amount of time has passed than not, but there are continuity errors as a counter-argument.

wow, you resolved my missunderstandings... I never really bothered reading books... hah, I never connected that end of TDP when a keeper offers Garrett to read a book, and the end of TDS where Garrett actually reads it! So if he knows the prophesy, how to continue then? Perhaps books were empty, because the glyphs have gone...

But this should be totally other topic, and you should make it, shellt we return to this?

Browser
13th Jun 2009, 01:18
I think Nothke's idea about the wondering street salesmen and merchants giving you side missions is nice but mostly I have to strongly disagree with the rest.

Having multiple kinds of shops would be incredibly annoying. I don't know about anyone else but I don't want to spend ages running to different kinds of shops to buy or sell certain kinds of items. Thief is a stealth game not an extinsive RPG like the Elder Scrolls and I'm glad that it isn't (not that there is anything wrong with the Elder Scrolls games, they're very good). I don't want to feel like a packmule or merchant playing a shopping game running between stores to sell items, I want to spend time stealing them.

The only part about distinguishable shops which is remotely good is legal and illegal shops (fences) as a whole. Though even that has problems, such as how would the "legal" shops know what's stolen unless it's a very famous item which would have to be fenced. Again I don't know about others but I get frustrated by games that don't let me sell a common item because it's stolen while the shop has no way of knowing that it's stolen.

I sincerely hope the next Thief game is kept a Thief game focusing on a good story and stealth. It would be sad if they tried to blend aspects of other successful games into it thinking it would make a good game, as sometimes happens. (For example do not try to take aspects of GTA's open world, or the Sims details, or RPG's extensiveness) Keep Thief a Thief game.

I don't want to play dress up or choose a face or own a house or pay bills or hijack anything. I want to spend my time sneaking through the shadows sitting on the edge of my seat stealing what I can as I try to unravel the story. The Thief recipe is great and I hope they focus on what's made it such a success and caused so many games to copy it.

Hypevosa
13th Jun 2009, 03:11
Hahahah, I like how there's actually a psychic shop sign in the old games. Maybe we can go there and get some random prediction, 20% chance it actually pertains to the level you want to play XD

fayfuya
13th Jun 2009, 09:29
I think there should be really Street Salesmen, and legal shops, and shops with back-room with illegal stuff, that's a great idea....about Garrett's home, it's a bit wierd the greatest thief in the world got an official home (TDS) with a guard standing outside it and says "oh Garrett it's you, i though some1 broke in"....wtf?
I think Garrett should stay in a tavern-inn, there he can get to his room and use all the things there, and downstairs at the tavern he can get missions or steal and all these stuff.
I also think the shops at Thief 4 should be in 3D and not just sort of a menu, you should really be able to walk and search in the shop, maybe steal something small....

fayfuya
13th Jun 2009, 09:33
And oops i forgot to add, there should be few inns in the city and with a diffirent look, diffirent people hanging there, of course drunk...and other noob thieves, that can't really sneak like Garrett.
And of course, staying in the inn costs money, and you should be able to eat and sleep in that game...
Maybe you can turn it into GTA but in Thif style....just an idea :D

Flashart
13th Jun 2009, 09:45
Depends on what the hub would be. I like the idea but can't imagine anything radically different from TDS and felt that only partially worked.

Myth
13th Jun 2009, 10:53
And oops i forgot to add, there should be few inns in the city and with a diffirent look, diffirent people hanging there, of course drunk...and other noob thieves, that can't really sneak like Garrett.
And of course, staying in the inn costs money, and you should be able to eat and sleep in that game...
Maybe you can turn it into GTA but in Thif style....just an idea :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Hypevosa
13th Jun 2009, 10:56
Maybe you can turn it into GTA but in Thif style....just an idea :D

this litterally sent a few chills down my spine...

kabatta
13th Jun 2009, 11:01
If we turn thief in gta why don't we just run over old ladies riding burricks. The guards can chase us with ponies. Oh...and I haven't said the best part: you can make little taffers with crab-ladies. Allso, you get to buy houses that you can rob. Did I mentioned you will be chased by crab-men for loving their ladies?

fayfuya
15th Jun 2009, 13:20
Alright alright that GTA style was just an idea forget i said it :D .
But when you think about it, Garrett got his own place, can't the gaurds find his apartment for christ sake?!
And the guard outside his house says "oh Garrett it's you, i though some1 broke in or something"....it's stupid, and even if that guy isn't one of the city watch, he would propably tell them where Garrett is for lots of money...it's just dumb...the city watch can "visit" heartless perry for information about your home's location.
it's just silly that the greatest thief in the world got an apartment, IT'S NOT EVEN HIDDEN.

Anyway what i really want to say is (IT'S JUST AN IDEA) that in the shops we can buy stuff that would give us "abilities", for example:
Slo-falling cloak (instead of slo-falling poition)- slows our falling speed.
A stronger bow or dagger- greater damage.
Speed Boots- increases our moving speed.
Light- Chainmail- gives us more defence.
Adn so on, if you didn't like that idea i would understand you, i'm not sure about it myself, if you didn't like it just say you disagree don't start drilling.

Hypevosa
15th Jun 2009, 13:26
It's probably hidden due to garrett not telling people where he lives, and knocking out anyone who asked... and also by the amount of gold garrett probably has to pay in rent for his landlord to not sell him out.

Myth
15th Jun 2009, 19:57
Alright alright that GTA style was just an idea forget i said it .
But when you think about it, Garrett got his own place, can't the gaurds find his apartment for christ sake?!
And the guard outside his house says "oh Garrett it's you, i though some1 broke in or something"....it's stupid, and even if that guy isn't one of the city watch, he would propably tell them where Garrett is for lots of money...it's just dumb...the city watch can "visit" heartless perry for information about your home's location.
it's just silly that the greatest thief in the world got an apartment, IT'S NOT EVEN HIDDEN.

Anyway what i really want to say is (IT'S JUST AN IDEA) that in the shops we can buy stuff that would give us "abilities", for example:
Slo-falling cloak (instead of slo-falling poition)- slows our falling speed.
A stronger bow or dagger- greater damage.
Speed Boots- increases our moving speed.
Light- Chainmail- gives us more defence.
Adn so on, if you didn't like that idea i would understand you, i'm not sure about it myself, if you didn't like it just say you disagree don't start drilling. The fact that you would suggest this states clearly you have not matured enough to play Thief as it is meant to be. There are a ton of other games more suitable to your preferences, don't change this one to become just another piece of mainstream crap.

esme
16th Jun 2009, 12:10
I like the idea of shops of various types, but Garrett is a Thief, parting with money is a last resort

why can't he have the option of breaking in and stealing his equipment

of course if he's seen during the robbery the shopkeeper will subsequently warn all the other shopkeepers to kill Garrett on sight or turn him over to the watch or may even turn up in his apartment late at night with a few of the 'lads' to have a 'quiet word' about the ethics of stealing from shopkeepers

if Garrett isn't seen then the shopkeeper can't be sure it was him but would have to put prices up to cover their losses and pay for extra security or possibly even stop dealing in black market goods

so if Garrett wants to keep the shops he pays for goods if he's desperate or broke then he can steal equipment

kabatta
16th Jun 2009, 13:38
There must be a thieve's rule sounding like: "don't steal from places you frequent. people might catch on."

esme
16th Jun 2009, 15:00
There must be a thieve's rule sounding like: "don't steal from places you frequent. people might catch on."didn't stop Garrett robbing the hotel he was staying at in TDS

DrunkenGuard
6th Jan 2013, 16:19
What did you make of the shops in TDS?

I personally liked them.... and I have just finished another play through.... but it got me thinking. Should there be a much fuller, broader economy in Thief 4?

What kind of shops should there be? Any ideas for new types? - What items should be on sale?

What about being able to sell and buy with the Hammers?...... even a few select items from the Pagans

Should there be a black market for thieves ? ( I definitely think so! ) - should they sell arrows- as in TDS? - I always thought the specific shops just for thieves in TDS was really fun.... but also a little silly as well.

Maybe shops where you can but the components for different arrow types would be better? (and then craft them back at home / at your hideout.)

Arrakim1
6th Jan 2013, 17:11
I had one big problem with shops in TDS. They made all the equipment way to easy to come by.

Hypevosa
7th Jan 2013, 20:11
No one here that I know of supports the infinite item stocks of TDS and wants limited items like in the old games.

zhunt
8th Jan 2013, 05:54
so does the seedy section of town contain a red light district with street workers and brothels?
garrett gotta spend his cash on something and i dont see him as the "going out partying hard dancing on podiums" type.

id like to sneak into the knock shop and plant some evidence and get some dude falsely accused, hehe

zhunt
7th Mar 2013, 23:55
so does the seedy section of town contain a red light district with street workers and brothels?
garrett gotta spend his cash on something and i dont see him as the "going out partying hard dancing on podiums" type.

id like to sneak into the knock shop and plant some evidence and get some dude falsely accused, hehe

hehe, and what do ya know, garrett is going to a brothel in the new game. musta had my psychic hat on that day i wrote this

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Mar 2013, 00:22
hehe, and what do ya know, garrett is going to a brothel in the new game. musta had my psychic hat on that day i wrote this

Haha! You deserve a cookie. :D