PDA

View Full Version : How many scripted events should Theif 4 have?

Nikoladze
10th Jun 2009, 22:20
I've been noticing that more and more games are making use of them. I've never played a Theif game so I don't know if they are an integral part of the games, but they are VERY annoying in games like Call of Duty where they constantly interrupt gameplay (which is very linear to begin with) and you have to wait for them to finish before you can play the game again.

Erebos
10th Jun 2009, 22:23
Anytime you pick lock something a dramatic cut scene should take place.

theBlackman
10th Jun 2009, 22:26
Anytime you pick lock something a dramatic cut scene should take place.

Again BLEEAACHHH!

kaekaelyn
10th Jun 2009, 22:30
Erebos is cracking me up.

Hypevosa
10th Jun 2009, 22:42
I don't think there should be ANY scripted scenes... If I'm in control of Garrett, I should be able to make my reaction. Like in COD: WaW one of the scripted scenes is the ambush at the swamp. When the blinding flare goes up I saw one move and shot him repeatedly, but he never died because he was in a scripted cut scene, and he killed my squadmate anyways. It's stupid, and they should work with what the players choose to do.

Platinumoxicity
10th Jun 2009, 22:45
If there are those shop thingies in a City-hub thingy, even those shouldn't be scripted. You could pick equipment from the shelves while strolling around the store and you would pay automatically for each item taken. Same thing with the fences. You could walk into the store and deposit the goods on the table or on a scale or something like that, then you would get cash for them.

Otherwise they should bring back the classic loadout screens.

jtr7
10th Jun 2009, 22:49
As many times as necessary to serve the story, bu done in a way that keeps the player caught up in events to where it takes a second to realize what is happening is a scripted event. Subtlety. Also, at a rare moment but when the player can sneak around the event and still work to meet objectives as the event is happening, like keeping one eye on the event, and another eye on the task at hand, and especially if it changes the objectives as things are suddenly re-prioritized.

Hypevosa
10th Jun 2009, 22:53
If there are those shop thingies in a City-hub thingy, even those shouldn't be scripted. You could pick equipment from the shelves while strolling around the store and you would pay automatically for each item taken. Same thing with the fences. You could walk into the store and deposit the goods on the table or on a scale or something like that, then you would get cash for them.

Otherwise they should bring back the classic loadout screens.

I disagree, when we take items, we should bag em, and then walk to the counter to pay for them... or we can attempt to leave with them :D let the player make the choice. If they decide to leave with them, they can't do business at that shop ever again. If they kill the shop keep they can't do business there obviously, but other criminals come after them for doing it "you killed benny... we liked benny you bastard....". And if you managed to get in and out unnoticed with goods, anything there would cost extra the next time to cover the losses from what's stolen, and if you stole too much they'd just go under, meaning no buying from them ever again.

What I'd like to see even more, would be you go into a clothing store, you look at the clerk and he slides you a note. Reading the note, it tells you that each item corresponds to something he has in stock. "Green scarfs - gas arrows, red scarfs - fire arrows, blue hat -slow fall potion etc." and then you go through, pickout the items, and pay for them at the register, he takes your cash and the items and slides you a bag under the table. Any way where they would show how the places were hiding themselves as normal businesses would be cool. And however many of that item was in stock would be the availability of that item. (only 3 green scarfs means he has 3 gas arrows). And maybe every now and then someone else would be getting supplies, and you could lift some of their items before they checked out if you wanted them (damn, he has the last green scarf... well, not anymore *lift*)