PDA

View Full Version : The bag should be heavier when you collect loots?

clock12345
7th Jun 2009, 18:27
just an idea you dont have to make it : if you collect many loots then the bag gets heavier and the guards or someone can hear it from close its like you gained to much loot and you become heavy and soundy so if you'll run or walk the bag may make sounds of heavy loots how about this idea?

ZylonBane
7th Jun 2009, 18:29
Sure, penalizing the player for engaging in the game's primary reward mechanism sounds like an excellent and not at all INCREDIBLY STUPID idea.

jtr7
7th Jun 2009, 18:30
No, let's not make it. Just like the loot limits thread, this would drag the game down and change too many things for the worst. It would make ending a mission a chore and force ghosting on players who aren't into that style. Encumbrance should remain limited to water and drawn weapons.

Yaphy
7th Jun 2009, 18:56
Its no good thing to punish the player because they take much loot. But the items could have some sort of encumbrance system. If you carry to many gears, Garrett might run slower and doesnt jump as high.

Platinumoxicity
7th Jun 2009, 19:02
But the items could have some sort of encumbrance system. If you carry to many gears, Garrett might run slower and doesnt jump as high.

Nope. Then it would be impossible to get into some places or you'd have to leave evidence in the form of the items you dump. I try to not leave evidence at all. :p

Joke commencing:
Also what gears? Metal Gears? Gear of War?
Joke succesfully presented.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
7th Jun 2009, 19:03
"Sounded like a....swishing sound."

Next why don't we have the guards hear the swish swish of Garrett's thighs brushing together when he wear corduroy pants?

Hypevosa
7th Jun 2009, 19:10
while it would make sense since he has about 100lbs of gold and goods at the end of a mission sometimes... really, it is a gameplay vs realism call, and it's one that should be more than obvious.

Nate
7th Jun 2009, 20:06
I was championing an encumbrance system for weapons, equipment and loot...but the guys here are correct in that you can't penalize the players for grabbing loot.

***I would love a game setting option where loot does have encumbrance values.

That said, I still am pushing for weapons and equipment to have encumbrance values.

Thugo
7th Jun 2009, 20:17
I still think they should give all loot items weight values and penalties for when you carry too much.

Hypevosa
7th Jun 2009, 20:22
I was championing an encumbrance system for weapons, equipment and loot...but the guys here are correct in that you can't penalize the players for grabbing loot.

***I would love a game setting option where loot does have encumbrance values.

That said, I still am pushing for weapons and equipment to have encumbrance values.

your bow, sword, dagger, and 20 broadheads should way somewhere close to 15lbs total max... it's not enough to drag someone down. why are you penalizing the player for using their gold that they earned or for actually finding equipment in levels? it's just not a nice thing to do.

ZylonBane
7th Jun 2009, 20:40
I still think they should give all loot items weight values and penalties for when you carry too much.
Why do you hate fun?

huzi73
7th Jun 2009, 21:35
Go make your own game if you want this.Ok, heres a deal/bet.If EM does this,the game will be a failure, and i'll buy you 100 copies of the game. Heres a secret. Loot encumberence system? Not going to happen, heck, even the gold in oblivion didnt count towards encumberence!

MasterTaffer
7th Jun 2009, 21:36
It's a bad idea and shouldn't be implimented, clock12345. But you're thinking, I like that. ;)

Yotun
7th Jun 2009, 22:37
I personally would like the idea, but I see why its not something that should be implemented - I doubt my own obsessions with absolute realism are shared by everybody.

I'd love for somebody to mod this in though for those of us who'd like to play like this.

Nate
7th Jun 2009, 22:47
Ok, we are all (almost) in agreement that loot encumbrance will only reduce the fun of the game.

However, there are a lot of us who would like weapons, armor and equipment to have an encumbrance system....OR, at the very least have a menu setting that toggles how many arrows/items you can carry for those who like more realism/challenge.

If there is somebody who disagrees with my second paragraph here, please explain to me why. I am reasonable and a good arguement will change my mind (I've already changed my mind on quite a few things after listing to you guys).

kabatta
8th Jun 2009, 05:49
The game does't stop you from getting an exact amounth of weapons, but you can. Holding such rigid system would make people hate the game. There will be people who will play thief 4, not only fans. We need the sword that makes it difficult to move and sneak.
Loot encumbrance? This isn't an rpg.

Nate
8th Jun 2009, 07:32
Hi Kabatta, I read your post as YES to carrying a sword makes it harder to sneak and NO to loot encumbrance....is that about right?

If so, then we are on the same page.

nydusordos
8th Jun 2009, 10:26
just an idea you dont have to make it : if you collect many loots then the bag gets heavier and the guards or someone can hear it from close its like you gained to much loot and you become heavy and soundy so if you'll run or walk the bag may make sounds of heavy loots how about this idea?

Ahaha, I see where you are coming from. Anyone ever play that old adventure game Space Quest III? They make fun of this phenomenon in games and when you pick up a ladder and put it in your pocket your character says "ouch" and walks around completely normally.

But I'm forced to agree with other posters, I'm not sure this would work in Thief.

- NO

AbysmalGale
8th Jun 2009, 10:48
While the idea makes sense from a realistic perspective, it's not going to work. So I say no.

clock12345
8th Jun 2009, 11:05
yeap i would say no either it just ruins the fun of the game i wanted to saw if people were agree or not and if the game is too much realistic its not fun to play.

huzi73
8th Jun 2009, 11:08
Ok, we are all (almost) in agreement that loot encumbrance will only reduce the fun of the game.

However, there are a lot of us who would like weapons, armor and equipment to have an encumbrance system....OR, at the very least have a menu setting that toggles how many arrows/items you can carry for those who like more realism/challenge.

If there is somebody who disagrees with my second paragraph here, please explain to me why. I am reasonable and a good arguement will change my mind (I've already changed my mind on quite a few things after listing to you guys).

I'll try to give you a reason, you say it will reduce the fun if done with loot, but not with items. Well, the main reason for collecting loot, would be to buy items, so in essence, penalizing people for carrying items, would discourage people from stealing as much loot as possible in the first place. (example: a person will be like "ok i only need to steal 950 loot out of the 2700 total, coz 950 loot will be enough for 10 arrows, 3 mines, 2 health potions, and a holy water." if i steal any more loot than that, it will go to waste because, if i buy more, il get penalized and move slower" thus discouraging the player from participating in the general point of the game. Hope you get my point.

clock12345
8th Jun 2009, 11:08
Deleted

jermi
8th Jun 2009, 18:00
In the next version of Pac Man, eating makes the protagonist too fat to move.

Vae
8th Jun 2009, 18:37
I like Garrett's "Bag of Holding". It should stay.

ToMegaTherion
8th Jun 2009, 19:07
When he gets enough loot in his sack he should be able to blackjack guards with it.

MasterTaffer
8th Jun 2009, 19:43
When he gets enough loot in his sack he should be able to blackjack guards with it.

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/brilliant.jpg

Hypevosa
8th Jun 2009, 22:57
That is an AMAZING picture...

jtr7
8th Jun 2009, 23:13
If we're gonna add realism, then the bulk of the bag should increase as well. If there's to be body awareness, then Garrett should grow increasingly bent from the weight, and lean to the side away from the arm carrying the bag (or is it a big backpack with his bow and quiver on top of it?), and harder to see behind the bag in third-person, and even his face will be lower to the ground. He should reach a point where he has to drag the bag and make a horrible racket from the scraping and bouncing of items within. A whole new sound-effects mixer should create an appropriate noise based on all the materials, weight, and terrain. He should have to buy a new bag after each heavy haul he had to drag. There should be a good chance the bag tears open while dragging it, or even if he's carrying pointy objects. Rolled-up tapestries over a meter long should stick out the top, rolled-up paintings too. It should be able to cause Garrett to sink in water, water should ruin anything that isn't gold or gemstone, especially tapestries and paintings. Garrett should have a harder time getting through windows, doorways, crawlspaces, vents, tunnels, and narrow hallways. Garrett should grunt and pant from the exertion (insert juvenile joke). Garrett should have a random chance of getting poked, stabbed, or scraped by some item with sharp corners. He should have to drop the bag every time he wants to use a two-handed weapon, and he should struggle to use equipment period. The bag should clang, jingle, thump, rattle, squeak, and become a dang nuisance to carry around, so Garrett just leaves it at the starting point and has to run back and forth to fill the bag, but be able to carry multiple items in his pockets, depending on size and weight. I know I've left some things out.

Crypto
8th Jun 2009, 23:18
Hear, hear!

Nate
8th Jun 2009, 23:23
Hehe, you forgot to add Garrett then has to walk home for hours after he is done his mission...for which the player actually has to walk Garrett through the streets avoiding guards for 3 real time hours after each mission.

Plus, if Garrett can't make it home before sunrise, he has to stash his stuff somewhere and come back for it later. But there will be a 50% chance someone finds the stash and steals all Garrett's loot.

LOL!

Personally, I've kind of given up on serious realism from the game. I do hope the devs give players an 'easy/medium/hard/pro/realistic' setting for how much equipment (ie, arrows, potions, flashbangs, holy water, mines, gas grenades and so on) Garrett can carry at any one time. That would be enough to satisfy my desire for realism.

Vae
8th Jun 2009, 23:39
This is pretty much a joke thread, so I might as well do my part.

Why did Garrett cross the road?

Nate
8th Jun 2009, 23:45
Because the 1000 Haunts were chasing him?

AbysmalGale
9th Jun 2009, 00:01
If we're gonna add realism, then the bulk of the bag should increase as well. If there's to be body awareness, then Garrett should grow increasingly bent from the weight, and lean to the side away from the arm carrying the bag (or is it a big backpack with his bow and quiver on top of it?), and harder to see behind the bag in third-person, and even his face will be lower to the ground. He should reach a point where he has to drag the bag and make a horrible racket from the scraping and bouncing of items within. A whole new sound-effects mixer should create an appropriate noise based on all the materials, weight, and terrain. He should have to buy a new bag after each heavy haul he had to drag. There should be a good chance the bag tears open while dragging it, or even if he's carrying pointy objects. Rolled-up tapestries over a meter long should stick out the top, rolled-up paintings too. It should be able to cause Garrett to sink in water, water should ruin anything that isn't gold or gemstone, especially tapestries and paintings. Garrett should have a harder time getting through windows, doorways, crawlspaces, vents, tunnels, and narrow hallways. Garrett should grunt and pant from the exertion (insert juvenile joke). Garrett should have a random chance of getting poked, stabbed, or scraped by some item with sharp corners. He should have to drop the bag every time he wants to use a two-handed weapon, and he should struggle to use equipment period. The bag should clang, jingle, thump, rattle, squeak, and become a dang nuisance to carry around, so Garrett just leaves it at the starting point and has to run back and forth to fill the bag, but be able to carry multiple items in his pockets, depending on size and weight. I know I've left some things out.

Haha! :lol: I got a lot of funny pictures in my head... Especially the part where Garrett's bag is disturbing the 3rd person view (we all know that view won't exist though ;)) Not to mention the funny sounds occurring when he walks around carrying his bag like Santa Clause.

Nate
9th Jun 2009, 00:14
Hehe, how about this?

There is a 20% chance on any mission that Garrett's bag catches on a nail, or a sharp piece of treasure, which causes it to rip open = Garrett can't collect any loot for that mission!

MasterTaffer
9th Jun 2009, 00:16
Hehe, how about this?

There is a 20% chance on any mission that Garrett's bag catches on a nail, or a sharp piece of treasure, which causes it to rip open = Garrett can't collect any loot for that mission!

http://vwt.d2g.com:8081/Guiness-Brilliant.jpg

fraten
10th Jun 2009, 14:14
I've grown accustomed to pick up giant and heavy loot without trouble. And Garrett should not be a light-footed sprinter anyway.

Fire_Is_Born
11th Jun 2009, 15:58
Can I just point out that there was a side quest in TDS that involved carrying a young tree around for a while! The designers have always placed gameplay above excessive realism, and lets face it, in a game containing zombies, fire arrows etc, that's probably not a bad thing.

hexhunter
11th Jun 2009, 17:18
Garrett doesn't even have a sack, I'm fairly sure in the first game he stacked it upon his head, in the next 2 games obviously we saw he had nowhere to put it.

I supposed a similiar thing on TTLG, I don't care much for weight encumbrance, but if actually attaching your equipment to your clothing effects how long it takes to draw a weapon or item then i'd like to see that...

InGroove2
11th Jun 2009, 18:13
it IS a slippery slope of realism that would completely ruin the game... there's not too much about the game that IS realistic... which is part of the fun...

though i might support garret's hand having to actually go out in front of him to grap a piece of loot which could increase your risk of being seen....

i'm thinking of instances where you'd just stand as far as you could with the item highlighted and "grab it".... which didn't bother me, but in retrospect could be seen as "cheap"./ like i said, it didn'tbother me and was kind of fun. but i wouldn't mind having an item highlighted and then when you grab, his hand actually goes out and grabs it, possibly exposing his hand....

but i'm not really for that idea. i jus think of it as a possibility that wouldn't really bother me. it COULD make things a little mroe interesting....

kabatta
11th Jun 2009, 18:40
I want the programmers to code in random a random heart attack or stroke algorithm...with different outcomes. Sometimes you'll die instantly, while other times you will be left to helplessly lie on the floor while the people you came to rob either have you thrown in the dungeon to die, or summon a doctor to aid you. If you survived, the remaining missions would be spent hobbling around a hospital, stealing morphine. Sounds like fun to me.

:mad2:

I like this scenario. :lol:

catelee2u
28th Jun 2009, 03:59

No I play the game for fun, not to be frustrated to death.