PDA

View Full Version : Stereoscopics for THIEF 4

Vae
7th Jun 2009, 16:41
Stereoscopics (S3D) is one of the next BIG things in gaming, and like many games in the coming years THIEF 4 should be designed with it in mind.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
7th Jun 2009, 17:20
I would've gotten into the stereoscopic thing years ago, but it just never really seemed to catch on. I still wonder if it would make gaming more interesting (never actually used it).

edit. Found it odd that you said the next big thing til I read that the ps3 intends to do it...
http://playstation.joystiq.com/2008/12/18/report-ps3-to-support-3d-stereoscopic-gaming-in-2009/

I hope it does catch on.

MasterTaffer
7th Jun 2009, 17:24
I had a chance to play a game with stereoscopics once.

I couldn't take more than 5 minutes without getting a headache that felt like my brain trying to leap out my face.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
7th Jun 2009, 17:34
Some guy named David commented in that link,

"I have to say, the most engrossing gaming experience I have ever had was playing the original "Thief" game in 3D on the PC (using the "Revelator" 3D glasses). With the lights in the room turned down, and headphones in my ears, it was the most immersive gaming experience this side of VR. I never got so tense playing a game before or since. Sneaking around castles, peaking around corners, walking gently across precarious beams without falling, aiming the bow and arrow, all took on a new level of interactivity. I actually found myself holding my breath crossing those beams, scared to look down at how far I could fall.

If the experience on the PS3 is only have as good as that was, it has serious potential."

I wanna play thief in 3d:(

Master Taffer, I hope it's not as common as it seems, but I have heard a lot of people saying they get motion sickness and/or headaches before long.

MasterTaffer
7th Jun 2009, 17:36
Some guy named David commented in that link,

"I have to say, the most engrossing gaming experience I have ever had was playing the original "Thief" game in 3D on the PC (using the "Revelator" 3D glasses). With the lights in the room turned down, and headphones in my ears, it was the most immersive gaming experience this side of VR. I never got so tense playing a game before or since. Sneaking around castles, peaking around corners, walking gently across precarious beams without falling, aiming the bow and arrow, all took on a new level of interactivity. I actually found myself holding my breath crossing those beams, scared to look down at how far I could fall.

If the experience on the PS3 is only have as good as that was, it has serious potential."

I wanna play thief in 3d:(

Master Taffer, I hope it's not as common as it seems, but I have heard a lot of people saying they get motion sickness and/or headaches before long.

It probably has more to do with my uneven vision. While both my eyes have 20/20 or better, they are not the same focus.

Thieffanman
7th Jun 2009, 17:40
Stereoscopic games *sound* cool, but I can't help but think this will just be a flash-in-the-pan gimmick. Like DoomyDoomyDoomDoom said, it didn't catch on. I still don't think it will.

--Thieffanman

Platinumoxicity
7th Jun 2009, 17:44
Doesn't stereoscopic 3d require, like what... 180% more graphics processing power? Since it has to render the same scene from 2 different angles simultaneously?

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
7th Jun 2009, 18:01
I'm not too into it to answer that question. I do remember hearing that it would basically cut your frame rate in half because it renders two different images. I don't know if there is a better way to do it. I haven't kept up with this. Not that it matters to me, I'd gladly take the hit if it's worth it.

This might be a helpful site.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/

and it has a forum.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/

Personally, if this kind of tech is as fun and immersive as people say it is, I don't mind purchasing the necessary equipment. I just want to see it widely supported before I bother. Seems like this kind of thing has failed time and time again. Maybe nowadays it's good enough and will be given enough support for people to get into it.

Or it could just fail again.:hmm:

Vae
7th Jun 2009, 18:09
It probably has more to do with my uneven vision. While both my eyes have 20/20 or better, they are not the same focus.

It might not be just your eyes MT, I am fortunate enough to have a Geforce 3d Vision http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_3D_Vision_Main.html S3D setup. This is much improved from earlier S3D setups (I know, I have them). I played both T1/T2 in S3D and it was absolutely incredible. THIEF is the ultimate game for S3D. It dramatically increases immersion. The new tech also reduces and/or eliminates headaches for many people. It's an absolute must experience for every THIEF lover.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
7th Jun 2009, 18:21
I'm jealous. :poke:

Since you have this thing, could you tell us what kind of performance hit somebody might get (if any)?

What display do you have? At what price do these start? With this setup, you can play any game at all or do they have to support it somehow? Movies?

Very curious.

The link on the Nvidia site encourages me to buy their bundle, but it's not telling me much about the lcd. If I got into this I'd like to get something 37" like my current display.

Vae
7th Jun 2009, 18:27
I'm not too into it to answer that question. I do remember hearing that it would basically cut your frame rate in half because it renders two different images. I don't know if there is a better way to do it. I haven't kept up with this. Not that it matters to me, I'd gladly take the hit if it's worth it.

This might be a helpful site.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/

and it has a forum.
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/

Personally, if this kind of tech is as fun and immersive as people say it is, I don't mind purchasing the necessary equipment. I just want to see it widely supported before I bother. Seems like this kind of thing has failed time and time again. Maybe nowadays it's good enough and will be given enough support for people to get into it.

Or it could just fail again.:hmm:

I don't think it will this time Doomy. Many major LCD and HDTV manufacturers are ramping up "3D Ready" products for release during the next 2 years, and NVIDIA is playing a major role in this as well. The industry support for S3D is way bigger then in previous years. NVIDIA is already working with game developers on optimizing S3D game design for upcoming DirectX 11 games. These DX11 games (like THIEF 4) will be taking advantage of this, along with new in game physics.

Platinumoxicity
7th Jun 2009, 18:28
I actually have only one eye, so to speak. My left eye has perfect vision and my right eye is worthless. I have to position my head 15 cm from the screen to see with my right eye what I'm typing.

I'm looking forward to the time of cyber implants so that I can get rid of my piece-of-crap right eye and get the same kind of eye Garrett has. :p

So, I believe that I couldn't see any difference between standard gaming and stereoscopic 3d.

jtr7
7th Jun 2009, 18:37
Yeah. Thief 4 wouldn't have to make any concessions, but finding the right goggles/glasses is just the luck of the draw. The games' settings can be adjusted to increase frame-rate by turning down details, for instance, but it's not like most of us can test-drive different pairs of glasses for half-an-hour each before deciding. Comfort all around is key, and not being able to try different kinds of gear for comfort and functionality is the major reason why it doesn't catch on.

Vae
7th Jun 2009, 18:43
That's unfortunate Platinumoxicity, sorry to here that.

Doomy, I have the Samsung HL61A750A. I'll explain about the displays, but for now just know that your framerate will be cut in half, as there are two seperate images to process at the same time. I have to leave for while, I'll get you more info a little later.

Vae
7th Jun 2009, 18:51
Yeah. Thief 4 wouldn't have to make any concessions, but finding the right goggles/glasses is just the luck of the draw. The games' settings can be adjusted to increase frame-rate by turning down details, for instance, but it's not like most of us can test-drive different pairs of glasses for half-an-hour each before deciding. Comfort all around is key, and not being able to try different kinds of gear for comfort and functionality is the major reason why it doesn't catch on.

It's not like it used to be, the tech is improving. Geforce 3d Vision is definitely the best way to go (but you need a powerful NVIDIA card). Here is a list of games http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_3D_Vision_3D_Games.html.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
7th Jun 2009, 19:11
so the games do have to actually be supported? I hope they expand that list. I hope thief 4 will be on it. Looking at the list, there are quite a few games that I play. So if the price is right and I can get a big monitor I might go for it.

Vae
7th Jun 2009, 19:48
No, none of those games are designed for S3D, but they work well anyway with some looking better than others (good news). New DX11 games (hopefully T4) will be designed with S3D in mind so that objects will come out at you and the overall look and operation of the game appears the best in S3D.

DarthEnder
7th Jun 2009, 19:50
I'm with MT, 3D makes me feel...I dunno...off? After a while.

And wearing 3D glasses sucks.

Vae
7th Jun 2009, 20:24
I'm with MT, 3D makes me feel...I dunno...off? After a while.

And wearing 3D glasses sucks.

The newer S3D tech "feels" much better than before.

DarthEnder
7th Jun 2009, 20:48
The last one I tried was the Beowulf movie.

It was definitely way better than it was in my youth, but still nothing I'd want to have to deal with while trying to have an interactive experience.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
7th Jun 2009, 20:53
No, none of those games are designed for S3D, but they work well anyway with some looking better than others (good news). New DX11 games (hopefully T4) will be designed with S3D in mind so that objects will come out at you and the overall look and operation of the game appears the best in S3D.

So what, they somehow added support for those games or can it work with any game with varying degrees of success?

Vae
7th Jun 2009, 20:54
The last one I tried was the Beowulf movie.

It was definitely way better than it was in my youth, but still nothing I'd want to have to deal with while trying to have an interactive experience.

The Geforce 3D Vision glasses work alot better then those polorized glassed you used watching Beowulf.

Vae
7th Jun 2009, 21:02
So what, they somehow added support for those games or can it work with any game with varying degrees of success?

No, you don't understand. Nobody added support to any of those games. You can take any 3D graphics game and view it in a S3D system. Some games look better than others in S3D depending on how the game was designed. When you design a game with S3D in mind you are just insuring that everything will look great and you can design objects to come "out" at you in front of the screen.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
7th Jun 2009, 21:29
Just making sure. Thanks for the clarification.

I wonder how many games that are not on that list might look great.

esme
7th Jun 2009, 21:58
didn't nvidea release a driver for some of their later graphic cards that would effectively retrofit 3D to a lot of older games, or was it ATI ?

sorry I would hunt for the info but I'm using my phone to post at the mo