PDA

View Full Version : Project Natal in the new Tomb Raider?

_Love2Raid_
6th Jun 2009, 19:01
Alex Kipman from Microsoft, someone who came up with the idea of Microsofts 'Project Natal', talks about the next Tomb Raider in this article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/e3-post-natal-discussion-interview?page=1

Read it and discuss. :D

josh1122
6th Jun 2009, 19:24
Yeah It would be pretty cool but Project Natal isn't that far along(at least Milo isn't) so it wouldn't be till like Tomb Raider 15 or something lol

TRA_Abomination
6th Jun 2009, 19:48
Oh God please no! That would ruin the chances for us wii people to play a decent TR!

_Love2Raid_
6th Jun 2009, 19:50
Yeah It would be pretty cool but Project Natal isn't that far along(at least Milo isn't) so it wouldn't be till like Tomb Raider 15 or something lol

Yeah, I don't know how they would want to implement it though. I mean, we can't do cartwheels and front flips in our own room, right? :lol:

At least they are talking about a next Tomb Raider and mentioning this particular game as an example, that's a good sign for the series! :)

Here is a video about Project Natal, for those who don't already know what it is: http://www.xboxonly.nl/nieuws/15377/E3:_Microsoft_onthult_motion_camera_Project_Natal/
(Dutch site though, but the video isn't ;))

Note, this is what it should be like when it's finished. So it's not 'real'.

Oh God please no! That would ruin the chances for us wii people to play a decent TR!

Why?

Rexie
6th Jun 2009, 20:49
That's Amazing! :eek:

I would love a little level from TR that you can buy in stores, and interact with Lara. (No, not that way. Do you think that I'm somekind of pervert?)

Come on, just admit it, who doesn't want to sit down in the jungle with Lara, have a cup of tea and talk with each other?

josh1122
6th Jun 2009, 21:38
That's Amazing! :eek:

I would love a little level from TR that you can buy in stores, and interact with Lara. (No, not that way. Do you think that I'm somekind of pervert?)

Come on, just admit it, who doesn't want to sit down in the jungle with Lara, have a cup of tea and talk with each other?

Yeah have an interaction thing with Lara like the Natal Milo demo, that would be pretty cool

But I think it would be pretty cool to be able to climb tombs and jump to various areas, like Lara using Project Natal, if you managed to catch the tech demo of it at E3(anyone), that sort of thing if done right, can be pulled off.

That would be a pretty cool idea

lilhanhan
6th Jun 2009, 21:57
*Hides behind couch because I'm scared of Milo*

I quite like the idea but I was a bit worried about how we would be able to do some of Lara's more athletic moves; luckily I read this part of the article...

"So the Tomb Raider team would come up with all of their different game mechanics and represent them with different Natal experiences. Lara does a lot of headstands, and I wouldn't expect people in their living room to be doing headstands.As a game designer you'd have to come up with a natural gesture to go mounting into headstands.

How can I make a user in their living rooms feel like Lara Croft without being as fit as Lara Croft? Because none of us are!"

It's nice to know that Alex Kipman also thought the same, and it would be pretty cool to see what kind of simple movement we could do to make it seem that we're able to do 4 cartwheels in a row or something daft like that. ^.^;

I'm all for the idea, if it's planned out well it could be a really cool gaming experience for TR or any other action/adventure game. :)

josh1122
6th Jun 2009, 23:42
yeah i can imagine using my hands to climb up a temple or landscape/rocks and then jumping(so motion camera picks it up) to get over a ledge or cliff and then immediately act like im grabbing onto the ledge to get it. That's the kind of stuff that interests me that I personally would find cool

Error96_
7th Jun 2009, 01:33
Oh please no! That would ruin the chances for us wii people to play a decent TR!

With you on that one

lilhanhan
7th Jun 2009, 10:38

With you on that one

Okay, it's like you're saying that no other console can have motion control because it's a "wii thing" and that sounds a bit selfish. People without Wiis haven't kicked a fuss about the fact that the wii versions of anniversary and Underworld had motion control, they're happy to deal with it.

I don't see why you think it would ruin your chances of a decent TR now that another console can produce a similar experience; they could easily produce versions of the game which would benefit from which console it's on; they already do it in a way with the Wii and DS versions of the game.

TRA_Abomination
7th Jun 2009, 17:09
With you on that one

thanks! Because if they do, they will not be able to use the same engine probably, on the wii, so no thanks!

Rexie
7th Jun 2009, 18:41
Okay, So before everything, **** hit the fan for me, so I'm grumpy and tired:

Who said that it had ANYTHING to do with the WII? It's on another console, AND WII is dying anyway. There are no good games on it and you need to be a samurai just to play the damn thing.

Pulse
8th Jun 2009, 03:44
It could be good, but there'd be a hell of a lot of backlash. People would be screaming crap about it not being Tomb Raider. How Tomb Raider has always used the controller. This isn't Lara anymore, WAHHH, WAHHH!!!

But maybe this is what, can't remember his name, meant when he talked about reinvigorating the franchise and making us say Lara, I love you so much!

It'd kind of work. XBOX could use Project Natal, PS3 could use the odd looking motion controller they invented and Wii could continue using the wiimote. Altho I'm not sure about PC. Does PC have something like this? :scratch:

Rexie
8th Jun 2009, 05:16
^

As I said, I want a level there you can buy in stores, put it in the console, and play. Not a full TR game with Natal.

Dusk Knight
8th Jun 2009, 06:02
Short levels based on well known game universes does sound like a smart way to ease players into it.

I see Natla.. erm... I mean Natal having the same problems as Wii though. Most if not all of the really good games for it will be exclusives made by Microsoft's devs and one or two other studios that get a handle on it. Multiplatform games like TR, probably won't benefit much.

Oh, and off-topic, but if Wii is dying, then why are Microsoft and Sony making hardware to compete more directly with it?

rg_001100
9th Jun 2009, 07:49
Dang, I missed out on E3 this year 'cause I wasn't on here. :( (as such, the concept of Natal doesn't seem too exciting to me. Maybe my imagination's just too limited).

Most if not all of the really good games for it will be exclusives made by Microsoft's devs and one or two other studios that get a handle on it. Multiplatform games like TR, probably won't benefit much.
Yup, I think the Wii has had this issue, though I wouldn't know a lot about that so much. The problem with an "exclusive" technology like this (even if when Sony comes up with a competing technology for the PS3... [They have a Wii-like controller, don't they?]) is that the game mechanics behind each technology is so different, and so needs to be handled differently per-technology. (That or make cheap ports that aren't quite so fun to play).
(I guess the Wii did get Archeological tools for TR... but it also got an unimpressive TR:U).

Oh, and off-topic, but if Wii is dying, then why are Microsoft and Sony making hardware to compete more directly with it?
Motion-controlling isn't necessarily "dying", it might be becoming more popular.
The "Wii Dying" comment is about the processing power of the Wii compared to the 360 or PS3 (which is why TR:U from the Wii was closer to the PS2 version than the NextGen version).

TRA_Abomination
9th Jun 2009, 19:58
Okay, So before everything, **** hit the fan for me, so I'm grumpy and tired:

Who said that it had ANYTHING to do with the WII? It's on another console, AND WII is dying anyway. There are no good games on it and you need to be a samurai just to play the damn thing.

What rg said, and fyi the Wii has some games that are good, and it is NOT dying: Twilight Princess, Call of Duty: World at War, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Okami, and especially Tomb Raider Anniversary; not to mention upcoming ones like Metroid: Other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and the new Zelda.
those are just a few. With all due respect, just because you're not personally fond of the wii doesn't mean it doesn't have good games, or even saying that it's dying, because I can assure you it isnt:)

IvanaKC
9th Jun 2009, 20:11
Yeah but maybe not for TR.

Don't you think it's hard to make handstands? :lol:
No just, it's not for TR. Like Wii, it's little bit hard.

Rexie
9th Jun 2009, 20:31
What rg said, and fyi the Wii has some games that are good, and it is NOT dying: Twilight Princess, Call of Duty: World at War, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Okami, and especially Tomb Raider Anniversary; not to mention upcoming ones like Metroid: Other M, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and the new Zelda.
those are just a few. With all due respect, just because you're not personally fond of the wii doesn't mean it doesn't have good games, or even saying that it's dying, because I can assure you it isnt:)

Point taken..

But I'm still sticking to the Samurai.

digifan
10th Jun 2009, 00:09
That's an interesting idea but base on the demo of the prototype IMO the X360 Natal is a modified PS2 dance mat with the Nintendo Wii sensor bar and the full motion capture of the PS3 Eye Camera. There's little doubt this accessory will be quite expensive probably more than the game console itself. I think I will wait for the next Nintendo version of Tomb Raider instead. :) I liked the controls for Underworld which, FYI, is now available for the Wii. It is configured in a similar way to Anniversary. I liked how the controls are set up on the Wii. :thumb: Let's hope CD will bring it to the X360 as well.

Max 28
10th Jun 2009, 04:34
What happens when you want your cahracter to turn around? You're no longer facing your T.V.

rg_001100
10th Jun 2009, 04:55
What happens when you want your cahracter to turn around? You're no longer facing your T.V.

I imagine this would be handled in a similar way to movement. Obviously a gamer cannot really traverse large distances around a game world without crashing into stuff in the living room... so turning would be similar. The user cannot turn around all the way without losing sight of the T.V...
It's a minor issue, though, since I would think it would be more gestures for controlling, rather than actually jumping on the coffee table to climb a ledge.

TRA_Abomination
10th Jun 2009, 19:31
Point taken..

But I'm still sticking to the Samurai.

A point that is pointless, because not in all games you behave like a Samurai, lol

Sina_Croft
10th Jun 2009, 19:41
I want :D

Rexie
10th Jun 2009, 19:46
A point that is pointless, because not in all games you behave like a Samurai, lol

I meant, that you have to hold the WII-mote like a Samurai sword. I tried the WII sports once. Once is enugh :P

Sina_Croft
10th Jun 2009, 19:49
It's a minor issue, though, since I would think it would be more gestures for controlling, rather than actually jumping on the coffee table to climb a ledge.
But I want to do that! And say to mummy: It's part of the game!!! Otherwise I don't my points :lol: :D

TRA_Abomination
11th Jun 2009, 19:38
I meant, that you have to hold the WII-mote like a Samurai sword. I tried the WII sports once. Once is enugh :P

Not if you're playing Mario Kart Wii, it's not required :rasp:

Pulse
12th Jun 2009, 05:29

Not all the time. And why are you dissing on the wii if you've only ever played wii sports once?

On topic. I agree with what rexie posted earlier. It shouldn't be a full Tomb Raider game. Maybe a game like Link's Crossbow Training. In that you go to areas from Twilight Princess and shoot targets or enemies. Tomb Raider could have something like that where you went to famous places from the games.

NightRain'06
12th Jun 2009, 06:32
Call me old school but I much prefer using a controller in all my games.

Honestly, I don't care about Sony's motion controller and Microsoft's Project Natal revealed at E3 09.

Since that's the road gaming seems to walk into, I hope future games provide the option to choose either the normal controller OR the others. That way I won't feel forced to buy accessory peripherals.

TRA_Abomination
12th Jun 2009, 21:53

Honestly, I don't care about Sony's motion controller and Microsoft's Project Natal revealed at E3 09.

Since that's the road gaming seems to walk into, I hope future games provide the option to choose either the normal controller OR the others. That way I won't feel forced to buy accessory peripherals.

That's the reason I love the Wii, because I can still use my GC controller for playing major games like Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros. Brawl :)

rg_001100
13th Jun 2009, 05:29
Call me old school but I much prefer using a controller in all my games...

Playing a game telephathically would be quite cool. No control schemes.. :cool:

Bampire
13th Jun 2009, 06:13
Playing a game telephathically would be quite cool. No control schemes.. :cool:

I have to agree with both of ya. I would try Project Natal, but I'm sure I'd stick with controllers and keyboards.