PDA

View Full Version : The secret behind all good games.

Corvin25
6th Jun 2009, 07:03
It's a simple concept that not only applies to games, but to real life situations.

What makes a game memorable?

You may forget the quality of the graphics.

You may forget the sounds and sights.

You may forget what happens in the game.

You may forget the characters.

You may forget the controls.

You may forget the plot.

You may forget the name of the game.

... But you will NEVER forget how the game made you FEEL.

Above all else, atmosphere and immersion is important in Thief. So keep that in mind, Eidos! Thief made us feel vulnerable, and forced us to be careful and meticulous. If you focus on new features and graphics, take care not to neglect the core atmosphere and mood of the original games, or you will end up with a bland, unmemorable game.

Thieffanman
6th Jun 2009, 07:16
Above all else, atmosphere and immersion is important in Thief. So keep that in mind, Eidos! Thief made us feel vulnerable, and forced us to be careful and meticulous. If you focus on new features and graphics, take care not to neglect the core atmosphere and mood of the original games, or you will end up with a bland, unmemorable game.

Second that. I liken this to the movie "The Blair Witch Project": It was made on a shoestring budget with *no* flashy special effects-- and it made *tons* of money. Why? Because it played on the viewer's psyche, making us feel the most basic "bump in the night" fears acutely.

The same with Thief. A good stealth game makes the player feel all the things you described regardless of flashy graphics; T4 should have these things in spades to make it worth playing .

--Thieffanman

Corvin25
6th Jun 2009, 08:07
Second that. I liken this to the movie "The Blair Witch Project": It was made on a shoestring budget with *no* flashy special effects-- and it made *tons* of money. Why? Because it played on the viewer's psyche, making us feel the most basic "bump in the night" fears acutely.

The same with Thief. A good stealth game makes the player feel all the things you described regardless of flashy graphics; T4 should have these things in spades to make it worth playing .

--Thieffanman

...... I honestly hated that movie. But yeah, you get my point. It's more effective to appeal to the mind and one's basic fears than to rely on special effects.

Flashart
6th Jun 2009, 12:29
Agreed 100%. Unlike most other games Thief introduced the concept of not being "all powerful", infact the reverse. Trying to get somewhere which would be a breeze if you were armed to the teeth but now have to use cunning is superb.
Buttock clenching tension, and I have to say TDS provided me with one of the best, picking the cell doors in The Cradle, the flashing lights, I wall hugged as a puppet stood right in front of me.
(I actually think the level was designed for that) I was terrified yet excited that I'd got away with it.In any other game you'd just blast away till the threat was gone.
However, some of the elements at the top go hand in hand with how it makes you feel. Most people agree that LOTP was such a great level because of the rooftops (it made you feel like a thief). The "OMG!" moment when you first stare up at The Cradle. Entering Return to The Cathedral. It's getting into the vault in the bank. So it's mood, expectation, vulnerability, level design, story and a sensitive handling of all of them.

esme
6th Jun 2009, 16:17
...... I honestly hated that movie. But yeah, you get my point. It's more effective to appeal to the mind and one's basic fears than to rely on special effects.yeah, I hated the movie too

but I agree with the point made

a good game makes you emote with the characters and protagonist, you feel their pain or fear or loss, you immerse and that is you in there you aren't sat on the sofa any more you are creeping down alleyways and along rooflines hoping to whatever gods you believe in that the watch don't see you

kin
6th Jun 2009, 16:43
The editor.

Zahr Dalsk
6th Jun 2009, 19:33
You may forget the sounds and sights.
You may forget the plot.

Unless it's a BioWare game, in which case you'll probably remember all of the ones I quoted :)

agrash
6th Jun 2009, 21:29

You may forget the plot.

i easily played over a 150 games by now, but those are just the things i usually don't forgot in games. Unless you get out my old NES/gameboy games that i played when i was a kid :scratch:

But you're right about the atmosphere in the thiefgames..