PDA

View Full Version : Episodic content

huzi73
3rd Jun 2009, 14:36
Posted on behalf of jay pettitt...
Whats your take on episodic content for THI4F?

Episodic Content... Thiaf...

[ ] Awesome!!!
[ ] A big fat smelly HELL NO!!!
[ ] Expansion Packs for the win!!!(Like a THI4F Gold)
[ ] Make episodic content optional!!! (maybe kinda like the DLC in fallout 3 and most xbox 360 games nowadays)

esme
3rd Jun 2009, 14:41
by episodic content do you mean officially released extra missions that can be purchased and added to the game ?

a bit like fan missions ?

jay pettitt
3rd Jun 2009, 15:30
Yup, that's it. Like fan missions and fan campaigns, but by Eidos and presumably in return for some money (unless Eidos want to give us extra stuff for free, I'd not say no.)

Anyhow - this thread is the best in the world. I endorse it. Thank you Huzi. However...

...originally the options were different and there was a description (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episodic_games) of what constituted episodic content, what constituted an expansion and there might have been some other stuff, it was a bit confusing.

Traditionally episodic content comes in smaller chunks, but is released (or at least that's the plan) regularly. It doesn't necessarily have an obvious beginning or end, just an ongoing narrative of sorts - you could, in theory, pick Thi4f: Deadly Episodes up at any point and they could potentially go on indefinitely. Kinda like Friends (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108778/), only different. Traditionally episodic content is an alternative to a traditional full release, but maybe it could be different.

Expansion packs are typically smaller in scope than a full release, but bigger in scope than episodic content and released occasionally in addition to a full release. Half life 2 episodes are expansion packs that are sort of Episodic. This may or may not be Thi4f Gold.

HELL NO!!! is what you might pick because perhaps you don't think Thi4f should be milked endlessly, maybe prefering that time is spent on the next proper full release or perhaps you're just grumpy and bitter.

I have no idea what happened to the optional choice. But clearly if you don't vote optional, episodes will be forced upon you. :scratch:

vowdy
3rd Jun 2009, 15:36
I would like it, if they stick to the halflife system.
for example: original game is released with full-length story. Then a while after this (lets say 6 months), because the engine/interface/etc are all already there, they can just create new levels etc on the same engine.So they create a new episode, which is again a full length story.

Assuming thief 4 will be Epic, this would just be a further progression of that story and the game.
Why would anyone say no to this? :/
It's basically a whole new thief story being fed to you every 6 months. Consider it fan-missions but with real voice acting (Stephen Russel!!) and cutscenes.

I wouldn't mind paying for this (like €15-€20 tops / episode. More for the original game though.)

*EDIT*
I believe the main reason for the "HELL NO!!" people will be because they think that they won't get a complete game at the release.
This doesn't Have to be like that.The episodes don't have to be small chunks.

v

Yotun
3rd Jun 2009, 16:11
NO I would NOT like it, because it sets a precedent for developers and creates 'facts on the ground' in the industry that it's an ok thing to do - and in the end means half finished complete games, and having to pay later for stuff that could, and should, well have been in the game.

ETA: And I don't like the Valve system also btw. We got two episodes that can be finished in one afternoon, and it's been so long now, that they could well have made a full Half Life 3 at the same time.

Direlord
3rd Jun 2009, 16:12
If its basically expansions with more missions over a arcing storyline fine. Just make the orginal game have it's own full campaign and story.

Please though be much faster than Valve is. HL2 is how old now? I'm still waiting for episode 3!

esme
3rd Jun 2009, 16:50
I want a full campaign, with all weapons that are available there and none of this paying to unlock extra weapons and features cr*p

if the episodic content provides extra official missions then I'd be interested

but not if it's like "in this one Garrett finally gets the bow upgrade from the alarus extension, this bow can then be used in subsequent missions, only £17.99" and if you don't buy it you are seriously disadvantaged on any later missions, because thats just milking the franchise, letting content out in dribs and drabs to maximise profits and exploit the fan base, I'd stick to FM's in that case

so thats a yes with provisos and I haven't voted as none of the options really fit that

DarthEnder
3rd Jun 2009, 17:05
Yeah, I really don't consider what Valve does with Half-life 2 to be episodic content. Those are expansion packs, any way you look at it.

That said, if they just kept releasing more missions that had an actual story attached to them, of course I'd buy them.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
4th Jun 2009, 03:05
Well if it's just like a whole nother campaign then fine. I just don't want to feel like I have to pay to see the ending to the game I bought already. I'd like for them to have a bunch of extra campaigns with interesting but non essential stories. Basically, official FM's is what I'd like to see.

I assumed this meant what half life 2 is doing; releasing realllly short continuation for money. The idea for that as I understood it was so that people got to keep playing tiny bits of the game without having to wait a few years for another release. They didn't really release much so the idea was crap. I also assumed this might mean something along the lines of having, say, an area blocked off in the game and later released to people for money. That's lame, when I buy the game I expect to have the whole thing, anything released after should be addons rather than unlocks of sorts.

ps. I don't want to see them selling Garrett armor for 5 dollars or the real ending for 20 dollars.

xDarknessFallsx
14th Aug 2009, 23:06
I have a perfect example of the nickle-and-diming I hate. Madden 2010 JUST came out... and the Playstation 3 Store ALREADY has $60 worth of nickle-and-dime add-on/unlock stuff. All of this could've and should've been included in the original game. This type of thing is rediculous. Yeah, seriously, I added up all the $1.99 items here, $0.50 items there, $4.99 there... and in total, the 20 or so post-release add-ons total $59 or $60.

EA is too deeply entrenched in the NFL football license for my liking. They have no incentive to innovate because they know people will buy the product just to play football with NFL teams. I'm getting tired of the same artwork, camera work and menus.

And they have the nerve to release $60 of add-on content at the same time the game launches? Some other game company needs to get the rights to the NFL license so they can infuse some originality and take football games to the next level that EA has proven over at least the last 4 years incapable of doing.

Flashart
15th Aug 2009, 09:35
The unpredictable nature of gaming means that it's never entirely certain when another release will be forth coming. I'm all for expansion packs, with "self contained" storylines, or narratives parallel with the OG. What I wouldn't want is "cliff hanger" endings, then not knowing if it's ever going to get resolved. I voted no, but I do want expansions or official FMs but don't want any narrative "drip fed".

Yaphy
15th Aug 2009, 10:34
As long as they dont make it exclusive!
I hated that TRU had exclusive extra for XBox!

CurtX
15th Aug 2009, 13:39
They just need to provide a good game editor. Fan missions are the best episodic content, and they are free.

ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
15th Aug 2009, 13:51
Little Big Planet selling costumes for $1.99 each?? Whatever.

The LittleBigPlanet costumes are superficial additions to the game that aren't required. They're not mandatory. :rasp: If people want to buy silly costumes to get more out of their game, let them. As long as the game is good.

Telex
16th Aug 2009, 01:12
NO I would NOT like it, because it sets a precedent for developers and creates 'facts on the ground' in the industry that it's an ok thing to do - and in the end means half finished complete games, and having to pay later for stuff that could, and should, well have been in the game.

ETA: And I don't like the Valve system also btw. We got two episodes that can be finished in one afternoon, and it's been so long now, that they could well have made a full Half Life 3 at the same time.

QFE. They should've made a Half-Life 3 instead of Episode 1 which was crummy, and Episode 3 which has become vaporware.

I don't want to pay 20$ for stuff that should have been in the original package. If they can make a good game then this is possible. But I don't even want to see them thinking about it until the game is done - too many developers use it as an excuse to sell us an undercooked product. So I'm not completely opposed, I just want a good game first and foremost. If the original game is good, I will pay for tons of new content. If not, I likely won't even buy the original game.

xDarknessFallsx
19th Aug 2009, 00:07
The LittleBigPlanet costumes are superficial additions to the game that aren't required. They're not mandatory. :rasp: If people want to buy silly costumes to get more out of their game, let them. As long as the game is good.
I think you're missing the point again. It's just another nickle-and-diming tactic and I disagree with it. 9 times out of 10, the game is not as good as it should or could be, and so 9 times out of 10 the add-ons should be free for a while. Madden releasing $60 worth of add-ons at the same time the game launches stoops to really low levels, imo. If it's not bad enough the add-on stuff wasn't included in the game, it's more unbelievable that they are ridiculous add-ons that should be classified as free. I think it's ridiculous for LBP to ask people to buy costumes of all things; they are lame and should be free most if not all of the time.

At this rate, next week you'll have the option to buy a $5 add-on in Madden to increase your chance of winning the coin toss by 10%. Or maybe a $10 add-on to have snow actually accumulate on the field with depth rather than a lame 2-D texture they've had forever.

If a game is rock solid at launch, expansive, quality-built, long, and fun, then add-ons you have to pay for are more welcome. Since hardly any games fall into this category, free add-ons should be the norm for a while to bring the game up to snuff, not the exception. Game makers should reward those who plunk down $60 cash for their short or lacking game, imo; not continue to screw us over.

PJMaybe
19th Aug 2009, 05:52
If it encourages EM to develop Thief with the PC in mind (primarily) I will glady pay for an expansion pack of more missions, whether they are random missions or not. I would much rather they try and make their money from selling expansions than from multi platform sales (if multi platform development adversley affects the PC game). And they are much more likely to sell expansions if the original is good. There's no way I would have bought an expansion for TDS but I wouldn't hesitate at any extras for T1 and 2. Even with all the fan missions available.

Think about it EM... how many expansions could you make and sell over 10 years if T4 is every bit as good as the originals. That's probably more cash than you'd make in 3 months of releasing another TDS on multi platforms.

xDarknessFallsx
19th Aug 2009, 16:16
Very true.

For T4, it could easily be a cash cow.

And for T2, if the Dark Engine source code is still around, I'd want fans to be able to work with it, but I also think it'd be cool if EM made T2 expansion pack goodness with it. Professionals making content for us. I would buy a T2 expansion pack from EM for $30 if they did a great job making a new, expansive 6+ mission campaign for it, despite the plethora of fan-made stuff being out there. Professional voice acting, including Stephen Russel's, and other pro content speaks volumes for me. For fans to make a professional 6 mission campaign, it takes years and years; and sometimes never comes to fruition. With EM behind it getting paid for it, they'd be more apt to complete them and complete them in shorter turnaound times.

hexhunter
19th Aug 2009, 17:11
I hate this negative moaning and stereotyping, though I'm not sure which option to tick.

Basically I want a full game, with a campaign as long as the previous titles and, if they decide to include it, both competetive and cooperative multiplayer which is at a good quality, all on the disc...

It makes sense that, after the release, expansion packs, mini-campaigns and individual missions can be released online, at reduced prices, allowing for a more continuous transition between titles. Especially considering that it takes more dedication to create a mission on a 7th gen game (T4) than a 5th gen game (T2), and less FMs will be made.