PDA

View Full Version : how would you like the faction system to be implemented ?

esme
2nd Jun 2009, 14:12
Posted on behalf of huzi73

...I was thinking of the whole "Interactive factions" feature from TDS,and wanted to make a poll on whether it should be dumped in favour of a more focused story like the first 2 games,but I cant really seem to put it in words in a poll,matbe 3 options,like yes,keep the system,no,drop it,or yes,but only if theres proper missions to go with it or something.Anyway these should still be limited to 2 factions at most,as garrett is no errand boy...

unless otherwise specified, in the options above alliance with a faction gives you the benefit that they will leave you alone and you can rest and possibly receive aid in their enclaves, it also means the other factions will try to kill you on sight

and on option 5 & 7 by 'help' I mean that faction will take an active part in any missions and will actively assist you, though I've no idea how this could be achieved in game

huzi73
2nd Jun 2009, 14:24
Posted on behalf of huzi73

unless otherwise specified, in the options above alliance with a faction gives you the benefit that they will leave you alone and you can rest and possibly receive aid in their enclaves, it also means the other factions will try to kill you on sight

and on option 5 & 7 by 'help' I mean that faction will take an active part in any missions and will actively assist you, though I've no idea how this could be achieved in game

I voted for option 5 before reading "that faction will take an active part in any missions and will actively assist you, though I've no idea how this could be achieved in game" so in that case,definately option 4

I would stick to option 5,but only if that "help" existed in city,and not in mission

esme
2nd Jun 2009, 14:29
unfortunately without deleting the entire thing and starting again I can't correct that ... unless a mod can do it

huzi73
2nd Jun 2009, 20:06
unfortunately without deleting the entire thing and starting again I can't correct that ... unless a mod can do it

Not a problem,in the near future,after a hundred or so votes,it will seem insignificant..

MasterTaffer
2nd Jun 2009, 20:08
I say remove it. Garrett trying to win favor with two factions who by all means should want him dead seems very antithetical of his charecter. Expanding on that concept is something I don't really want to see.

If it end up in the game, I'll just do what I did in Deadly Shadows and ignore it.

Hypevosa
2nd Jun 2009, 20:12
I say remove it. Garrett trying to win favor with two factions who by all means should want him dead seems very antithetical of his charecter. Expanding on that concept is something I don't really want to see.

If it end up in the game, I'll just do what I did in Deadly Shadows and ignore it.

Agreed, it's the same argument as that against multiplayer... Garrett is not one to play on a team, and he only works for himself or for anyone who is giving him alot of gold. But he's probably even weary of that since TDP and the whole losing his eye thing...

huzi73
2nd Jun 2009, 20:55
Agreed, it's the same argument as that against multiplayer... Garrett is not one to play on a team, and he only works for himself or for anyone who is giving him alot of gold. But he's probably even weary of that since TDP and the whole losing his eye thing...

you know,thats just the thing,in TDP,he was really checking out Viktoria,then Constantine offers him lotsa gold,he pulls the eye job,and gets his eye pulled out by Viktoria.Then,he ASSISTS the Hammers,to defeat Constantine,(but this was done to save his own skin,since he was probably publib enemy no.1 after being the catylist in all this)he ends up killing Constantine,and hey,brotha man Karras from the Hammers makes him a new eye,then in TMA,he ends up going after the guy who gave him his eye,and gets assistance from the chick who took out his eye,then he kills the guy who gave him his eye,for killing the chick who took out his eye...And that was even before he did favours for both sides in TDS.I think Garrett pretty much played errand boy throughout his entire career.

DarthEnder
2nd Jun 2009, 22:34
All that's understandable though because the fate of the city/world is on the line. That's the only reason they don't cut off his head.

In Thief 2 for the Pagans its a matter of "Man, that guy killed our god, but if we don't help him, every living thing on the planet is gonna die."

Then in T3 it was "Man, that guy killed our god...but we could really use someone to moss up those buildings."

I hope you see the difference.

Platinumoxicity
2nd Jun 2009, 22:56
Alternative 7:

There are factions much like in TDS, but they're all neutral towards Garrett* The people of the factions shout "Get out of here" if Garrett tries to enter their buildings, but only if Garrett is seen sneaking around inside their buildings or if he uses violence against them, they will become hostile. The broken "trust" is irreparable and you have to live TDS style after that, sneaking on the public street to avoid being lynched by your new enemies.

*Not every single person living in the City knows what Garrett looks like because there are hundreds of criminals who use the same kind of clothes and robe as Garrett does.

DarthEnder
2nd Jun 2009, 23:27
Of course, all of this kinda doesn't matter if there's no city hub in the game. Which I'm really hoping there isn't.

GmanPro
3rd Jun 2009, 00:55
^^ You can do it without a city hub. Look at Freespace 2.

Hypevosa
3rd Jun 2009, 01:10
instead of a city hub you could have it work like GTA or Saints row where you load as you move along... and garrett doesn't move fast enough to really cause the issue where you hit a loading wall. Then missions could be at certain areas. That way there aren't the 5 load points between your house and your next mission, and the thieve's highway could be rather expansive.

Zahr Dalsk
3rd Jun 2009, 01:42
I'd say you could have one faction allied to you who might help (but it would be very tough) and the others, the best you can get is to have them not be actively against you.

LightWarriorK
3rd Jun 2009, 01:49
I thought it was stupid. If they wanted you to be friends with the Hammers, they should have made a Hammerite game.

I would have MUCH preferred a disguise system that would have fooled them into letting you into their areas.

MasterTaffer
3rd Jun 2009, 01:51
I thought it was stupid. If they wanted you to be friends with the Hammers, they should have made a Hammerite game.

I would have MUCH preferred a disguise system that would have fooled them into letting you into their areas.

Considering that's a tactic Garrett has done in the past (Undercover, College level from Thief 2 Gold), I would think it's reasonable that Garrett might disguise himself at some point...

LightWarriorK
3rd Jun 2009, 01:59
Considering that's behavior Garrett has done int he past (Undercover, College level from Thief 2 Gold), I would think it's reasonable that Garrett might disguise himself at some point...

Exactly.

Of course, those were mission-specific parameters. I was thinking of them more like an item you would use....but that really would only be effective if it was another open-ended game.

Zahr Dalsk
3rd Jun 2009, 03:29
a hammerite game

DO WANT

That would be awesome.

GmanPro
3rd Jun 2009, 04:44
It would be a hack n slash dude ... do you really want that?

Hypevosa
3rd Jun 2009, 04:50
No, it'd be a bash and smash man. Actually, it could be interesting story wise. Just because it isn't like thief doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good game. However, if they did make a hammerite game, they'd have to make a game from the pagan side. See, that's the beauty of garrett though, is since he's a neutral party, you can get the story in an unbiased view from both sides.

DarthEnder
3rd Jun 2009, 08:58
I'd love to play a game as an assassin that takes place in the Thief world.

It wouldn't even have to be all murdererish either. On Expert his goals could include "don't kill anyone except my target, it's unprofessional".

Considering that's a tactic Garrett has done in the past (Undercover, College level from Thief 2 Gold), I would think it's reasonable that Garrett might disguise himself at some point...Is there a handy link somewhere to all this stuff that was cut from Thief 2 Gold? I'd love to read it.

huzi73
3rd Jun 2009, 09:36
All that's understandable though because the fate of the city/world is on the line. That's the only reason they don't cut off his head.

In Thief 2 for the Pagans its a matter of "Man, that guy killed our god, but if we don't help him, every living thing on the planet is gonna die."

Then in T3 it was "Man, that guy killed our god...but we could really use someone to moss up those buildings."

I hope you see the difference.

:lol:

Considering that's a tactic Garrett has done in the past (Undercover, College level from Thief 2 Gold), I would think it's reasonable that Garrett might disguise himself at some point...

Err where do you get this info dude?I am SERIOUSLY missing out here...

Necros
3rd Jun 2009, 10:51
Allow alliances with many factions after a quest on behalf of each faction
So, keep it but improve it.

huzi73
3rd Jun 2009, 10:56
The whole point of the pagans being against the hammers with you in the middle is that you have to choose a side.letting garrett be on both side at the same time,is lame period

esme
3rd Jun 2009, 12:50
I admit I became Garrett every factions best bud in DS because I was curious to see what would happen, to be honest I don't feel the reward justified the effort

also if the hammers and the pagans both knew where Garrett lives to install their little treats, how come they didn't simply march through the door, kick the cr*p out of him and hand him over to the watch for the reward

Necros
3rd Jun 2009, 12:59
I disagree, if they work on this factions feature, it will be great. Just give the player more things to do with them. And they don't necessarily have to know you are friends with both sides. Or if they find out about it, you will be in trouble and have to do something special to earn their trust again.

But of course this factions thing is just an extra, it shouldn't be among the most important things for EM. If they can improve it, put it in, if not, leave it for an expansion pack or something.

Zahr Dalsk
3rd Jun 2009, 14:08
It would be a hack n slash dude ... do you really want that?

How do you know? Hammerites do more than just hitting people with hammers (though the hitting people with hammers is pretty awesome). Building stuff, preaching, tracking down criminals and identifying Pagans, etc.