PDA

View Full Version : Thief: LANGUAGE / Sub-Titles / Dubbing etc - UPDATE: SE confirms language formats

imported_Thief_4
1st Jun 2009, 08:58
*Moderator Updates*

September 2013

SE confirms Thief will be available in the following languages:

English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian, Czech

https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_uk/games/pc-windows-download/Thief.php

June 2013
EM tweet:

Thief ‏@Thief

What does Garrett sound like in Russian?

See the @THIEF E3 trailer featuring Alexander Noskov - http://ht.ly/mD7wj #MasterThief
Retweeted by Eidos-Montréal

___

Hi,

as I was rather disappointed from Thief3 concerning language I want to beg for a German voice output in Thief 4. :worship: :worship: :worship:

It is a difference to hear language you understand without thinking instead of thinking: What did he say? No need of star voices, just find some people to make a good synchronisation.

Thief3 was one and only English Thief for me, if Thief 4 comes again with English voices I won't buy it. And so think many of my friends... :tongue2: If I can resist... But I hate saving money on the wrong side of a game.

Ciao Chris

Platinumoxicity
1st Jun 2009, 09:31
I really don't understand the Germans', French', Italians' and Russians' obsession for dubbing everything in their language. You seem to speak English very well so I don't think you really need a German dub. It's different in countries that don't have high-standard education, where people can't read the subtitles so they need dubbed voiceovers, but don't you learn English all the way from elementary school in Germany? At least we do here in Finland.

+You are missing Stephen Russell if you listen to dubbed Garrett :(

DanielOcean
1st Jun 2009, 13:38
I really don't understand the Germans', French', Italians' and Russians' obsession for dubbing everything in their language. You seem to speak English very well so I don't think you really need a German dub. It's different in countries that don't have high-standard education, where people can't read the subtitles so they need dubbed voiceovers, but don't you learn English all the way from elementary school in Germany? At least we do here in Finland.

+You are missing Stephen Russell if you listen to dubbed Garrett :(

We do here, too.

And yes, Stephen Russel has a perfect voice for Garrett, i like his voice, too. BUT:
The german dub in TMA was also nearly perfect. The person who speaks as Garrett is Torsten Michaelis and he is definately a pro.

I agree, that dubbing can be a loss. I also prefer watching movies and series in english, because the german voices sometimes are just... just... horrible... (family guy is a perfect example here).

BUT: Don't say anything against Thorsten Michaelis! :D I want his voice ! :cool:

Example here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf1pwuaGX2M&feature=related

TheJoker
1st Jun 2009, 13:46
What Platinumoxicity said.

Get used to English

Platinumoxicity
1st Jun 2009, 14:05
I agree, that dubbing can be a loss. I also prefer watching movies and series in english, because the german voices sometimes are just... just... horrible... (family guy is a perfect example here).

Sometimes? Do you mean that the Germans do prefer dubbing altogether? In every case? Were Obama's campaign speeches dubbed in the news too? You mean that movies, series and games are always dubbed in German, and if they're not, it's a mistake? When you're studying in an university and the lesson is in english, do you get this uncontrollable urge to ask for a translator even though you know exactly what he's saying? No offence, but what a strange country indeed. Finnish is a funny language and everything dubbed to Finnish sounds utterly ridiculous. There's no exception. I was just wondering how Germans can't feel the same way. I laughed my arsch off when I accidentally switched the voiceover of "The Matrix" to German and Keanu Reeves said: "Mein Name... ist... Nyyeeoowh!" :D

Another thing that bothers me with German dubs in particular is the length of sentences. Something that's "bla" in Finnish traslates to "blaschblabalblaschmeiblabla blabden"* in German. How can the German voice actors keep up with the lip synching? :scratch:

*In no way meant to mock your language

DanielOcean
1st Jun 2009, 14:42
Sometimes? (...) Were Obama's campaign speeches dubbed in the news too? You mean that movies, series and games are always dubbed in German, and if they're not, it's a mistake?

As far as i know, germans really do prefer dubbing. And sometimes it is necessary, because the actors in movies just mumble every phrase (take a look at 3:10 to Yuma, or Wyatt Earp, especially Wyatt Earp, you can't understand a word! ;)).

When you're studying in an university and the lesson is in english, do you get this uncontrollable urge to ask for a translator even though you know exactly what he's saying?
What do you mean by "studying in an university an the lesson is in english"? In my program of study, our professors don't do lessons in english. Why should they? Yes, we work with english (american) books, articles, and there are situations, in which our profs have to switch to english, because they read out a quote of a paper. But in general, my study is in german...

No offence, but what a strange country indeed. Finnish is a funny language and everything dubbed to Finnish sounds utterly ridiculous. There's no exception. I was just wondering how Germans can't feel the same way. I laughed my arsch off when I accidentally switched the voiceover of "The Matrix" to German and Keanu Reeves said: "Mein Name... ist... Nyyeeoowh!" :D

Another thing that bothers me with German dubs in particular is the length of sentences. Something that's "bla" in Finnish traslates to "blaschblabalblaschmeiblabla blabden"* in German. How can the German voice actors keep up with the lip synching? :scratch:

*In no way meant to mock your language

There are also many people, who speak english fluently and have no problem with the original versions. As I said before, South Park, Simpsons, Family Guy, Matrix, Gladiator, The Dark Knight (Ledgers Joker) or whatever just don't work in german and i see a terrible loss here! So I (and many other people in my peer group) prefer english.

But that does not mean, that the german dubbing (or even the german language) is horrible alltogether! If your english-speaking actors aren't pros, they will be inferior to a german (french, italian, russian, whatever) actor, who IS a pro. The german language also has some advantages compared to any other language. As any other language has some advantages compared to the german language ;).

All what i wanted to say is that (in my opinion), Torsten Michaelis voice is just as good as that of Stephen Russells... ;).
And for gods sake, I love Torsten Michaelis voice, so just let me have it :D

Platinumoxicity
1st Jun 2009, 15:02
But is it true that German dubs really don't sound comical and weird to the Germans? I mean that... In Finland some foreign cartoons are dubbed in Finnish because little kids can't read the subtitles. Anything other than childrens' cartoons, when dubbed sound like a taffin' joke, and not just the Finnish language that the American characters on the screen are speaking, but the whole concept. I don't mean like "You should learn to speak American and not change the language!" but more like "Isn't subtitles enough?"

Yaphy
1st Jun 2009, 17:42
Finnish is really weird. How can you make a word that long and crazy. Its like Akkalaayyina veiro keta naaityya. Whats up with all those double a and double y. I cant even say the words! Or doesnt you say them as theyre spelled. Sorry, didnt mean to upset you or make you angry or something. Just think it seemes so "järjetön" :rolleyes:

DanielOcean
1st Jun 2009, 19:59
But is it true that German dubs really don't sound comical and weird to the Germans? I mean that... In Finland some foreign cartoons are dubbed in Finnish because little kids can't read the subtitles. Anything other than childrens' cartoons, when dubbed sound like a taffin' joke, and not just the Finnish language that the American characters on the screen are speaking, but the whole concept. I don't mean like "You should learn to speak American and not change the language!" but more like "Isn't subtitles enough?"

Well... I can't speak for all germans, but I don't think that german dubs sound comical or even ridiculous, because the german language is too rigorous and harsh to sound funny or ridiculous :scratch:. On the other hand, I have watched Naruto in the original japanese with english subtitles and afterwards, i heard the german dub. I nearly died of laughter, because it sounded so ridiculus, lame, wrong, stupid and.. daahh! :mad2: :D.

As far as I'm concerned, subtitles alone would do it for me. But I think quite a few people would have problems with that. I work as a private tutor and many pupils in our country aren't very responsive in their english classes and have enormous shortfalls... It is almost sad, because i like english :)...

edit: From that point of view, it would be better for all pupils to watch movies and series in english, in order to improve their english skills...

imported_Thief_4
1st Jun 2009, 20:04
We have a saying here: He who pays the piper calls the tune. If EIDOS wants to sell the game to many people and not just enthusiast, there has to be German synchronisation. There is no discussion about keep to English or something like that. We have great dubbing artists, nobody in Germany knows the real voice of Keanu Reeves for example. I prefer watching in mother tongue than having a original voice where I do not know 60% of the words. And I hate watching movies and guessing what could he have said? :mad2::nut:

Ok, what I wanted has been postet. No further postings from me! :flowers:

Platinumoxicity
1st Jun 2009, 20:34
Finnish is really weird. How can you make a word that long and crazy. Its like Akkalaayyina veiro keta naaityya. Whats up with all those double a and double y. I cant even say the words! Or doesnt you say them as theyre spelled. Sorry, didnt mean to upset you or make you angry or something. Just think it seemes so "järjetön" :rolleyes:

Actually, sentences are much shorter in the Finnish language than in many others because all too many words conjugate in all too many different ways, so we don't need any "articles" or "particles" or "schmarticles". In's, on's, at's and from's don't exist in Finnish. :) Finnish is also weird because we pronounce every word exacly as it's written, so kids never have to practice pronounciation. We don't have spelling bees. :rasp:

P.S You have a typo in "järjetön". It conjugates to "järjettömältä" ;) Well whaddya know. That is a long word.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Jun 2009, 20:36
It seems a reasonable request, but would it not be an extremely expensive exercise for EM?
Just asking... I have no idea myself. :o

DanielOcean
1st Jun 2009, 20:56
Reasonable objection ;), but how expensive would that be?

Hypevosa
1st Jun 2009, 20:59
well it would obviously depend on if the hired... you know, renowned voice actors from germany or if they found people off the street and offered them a job. If they could find a reasonable voice for everyone, though not necessarily a famous one, it could be cheap and effective.

MasterTaffer
1st Jun 2009, 21:00
A reasonable request. If EM has it in the budget I say go for it.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Jun 2009, 21:03
Well, I was thinking that if they were to dub in German, then wouldn't they have to do the same for most other languages too? If so, I assume the costs would be enormous! :eek:

? :scratch:

MasterTaffer
1st Jun 2009, 21:04
Well, I was thinking that if they were to dub in German, then wouldn't they have to do the same for most other languages too? If so, I assume the costs would be enormous! :eek:

What about subtitles?

Hypevosa
1st Jun 2009, 21:10
What about subtitles?

I think that EM's best bet would be to see where the previous games were played alot, and for those languages make dubbed versions, and for everyone else just add subtitles. I believe I'm correct when I say that of the non-english speaking countries, Germany was one that played thief the most. It's not like they have to get it translated into swahili or hindu or all those languages... probably german, russian, and spanish. I'm sure there are fans from each of those countries who'd be willing to do it for free too. XD, but as long as they didn't go after renowned famous voice actors, it shouldn't be terribly expensive relative to the sales it would probably promote. I'm sure there are analysts who could determine what languages would result in more profit from dubs.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Jun 2009, 21:14
This seems to make more sense, yes. :)

MasterTaffer
1st Jun 2009, 21:17
I think we've found a happy medium here! Hurrah!

Hypevosa
1st Jun 2009, 21:19
Hurrah for analysts and profit margins! XD

imported_Thief_4
2nd Jun 2009, 11:38

Please keep in mind the market with german language is the biggest game market in Europe... ;) And they do not have to hire the best ones. ;)

Yaphy
2nd Jun 2009, 21:58
Actually, sentences are much shorter in the Finnish language than in many others because all too many words conjugate in all too many different ways, so we don't need any "articles" or "particles" or "schmarticles". In's, on's, at's and from's don't exist in Finnish. :) Finnish is also weird because we pronounce every word exacly as it's written, so kids never have to practice pronounciation. We don't have spelling bees. :rasp:

P.S You have a typo in "järjetön". It conjugates to "järjettömältä" ;) Well whaddya know. That is a long word.

I GIVE YOU THE WORLDS LONGEST WORD, and its actually in my language (swedish). Nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterialunderhållsuppföljningssystemdiskuss
onsinläggsförberedelsearbeten.

Platinumoxicity
2nd Jun 2009, 22:40
I GIVE YOU THE WORLDS LONGEST WORD, and its actually in my language (swedish). Nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterialunderhållsuppföljningssystemdiskuss
onsinläggsförberedelsearbeten.

Has it got something to do with the military?

Jace_Auditore
2nd Jul 2010, 13:16
I think EM should do exactly like they did with Deus Ex 1.
Dialogues in English,and text and subtitles in the idiom you speak(Spanish in my case)
I say this becouse if you compare the voices in English with the ones in German,or Spanish,or other idioms,not only in THIEF,but the majority of the games dubbing cant even come close to the original in English.I´ve played Deadly Shadows completely in English,and after that,a friend of mine gave a Patch that changed the texts of the game to Spanish,and I really didnt saw much difference.

Platinumoxicity
2nd Jul 2010, 13:53
I never really had a phase when I needed subtitles in movies or games that were in English. When I was a kid I couldn't care less what they were saying, I just enjoyed the visuals and the action. After that when I had learned English, I didn't need subtitles anymore. I remember, the first time I watched Matrix 2 on dvd I got almost to the end of it until I realized that I had no subtitles on. :D

But different countries have different education systems. I've heard that in for example France the English classes are really badly organized and the language teachers suck. That's why the French are usually very bad with English.

Jace_Auditore
2nd Jul 2010, 14:05
Yea,normally in most countries people can defend themselves very well in English,its almost like a second language.
I´ve watched a lot of movies in English without subtitles and i understand the dialogues very well,same thing in videogames;but usually,in both of them (movies and videogames)I put the dialogues in English and the subtitles in Spanish,just to be sure.
Thats another thing I like about some games,like Jak 2.The game is dubbed in your idiom,but you can actually change it to the original voices in english with subtitles in your idiom.

Tryst
3rd Jul 2010, 08:38
Unless Stephen Russell can speak other languages, a lot of the vioce acting style is going to be lost with dubbing by another voice actor. There is also the fact that some of the humour may get lost in translation, it would take a person who speaks both languages AND has a good knowledge of the humour of both languages to translate it properly.

mvs
12th Jul 2010, 14:16
even though german is my native language, most games are translated horribly into german, both text and audio.

such "abominations" include oblivion or still life, for example.

if the marketing decides to have a german version for germany/austria, i INSIST on german as an OPTION, not a compulsion. i do certainly not want any moronic translation to ruin the game. being able to play the game completely in english is definitely a MUST. apart from that i see no problem with translating it, as long as translations are optional.

i understand that it might be difficult with cut scenes, but it should be possible to do the audios as plugin or add-on or something the like.

Keeper_Riff
13th Jul 2010, 06:27
even though german is my native language, most games are translated horribly into german, both text and audio.

such "abominations" include oblivion or still life, for example.

if the marketing decides to have a german version for germany/austria, i INSIST on german as an OPTION, not a compulsion. i do certainly not want any moronic translation to ruin the game. being able to play the game completely in english is definitely a MUST. apart from that i see no problem with translating it, as long as translations are optional.Same for Russian.

i understand that it might be difficult with cut scenes, but it should be possible to do the audios as plugin or add-on or something the like.I don't think modern computers have any problems to play video and audio synchronously from separate tracks.

Erm... Just make texts in UTF-8 encoding and TrueType fonts and I'll be fine.

Platinumoxicity
11th Jun 2012, 07:36
Gamescom in Germany?
Makes sense. Thief has always been much more popular in Germany than elsewhere.

Except that there's no "Thief" in Germany. It's called "Dark Project". And "Thief II The Metal Age" is called "Dark Project II". I wonder why it's different. Is it for the same reason as why Mitsubishi had to change their SUV model name in Spain? Is the word "Thief" somehow dirty in German? :D

Cookie Spy
11th Jun 2012, 09:27
Except that there's no "Thief" in Germany. It's called "Dark Project". And "Thief II The Metal Age" is called "Dark Project II". I wonder why it's different. Is it for the same reason as why Mitsubishi had to change their SUV model name in Spain? Is the word "Thief" somehow dirty in German? :D

I think most titles were translated back in those days, and "Dieb - Das Dunkle Projekt" just sounds ridiculous. But it seems German dubbing (although high quality) gets weird when it comes to titles:

[movies]
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl => Fluch der Karibik (= curse of the Caribbean)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest => Fluch der Karibik 2
Horrible Bosses => Kill the Boss (wtf?)
In Bruges => Brügge sehn... und sterben? (see Bruges... and die?)

Someone doesn't seem to like surprises...

[books]
The Blade Itself => Kriegsklingen (= war blades)
Before They Are Hanged => Feuerklingen (= fire blades)
Last Argument Of Kings => Königsklingen (= king blades)
Best Served Cold => Racheklingen (= blades of vengeance)
The Heroes => Heldenklingen (= hero blades)

We Germans sure love our blades, but I'm glad I read those books in English language.

Platinumoxicity
11th Jun 2012, 09:48
I think most titles were translated back in those days, and "Dieb - Das Dunkle Projekt" just sounds ridiculous. But it seems German dubbing (although high quality) gets weird when it comes to titles....

Speaking of dubbing, It's such a shame to see an advanced country like Germany be in such a state. They can make the best cars in the world, but they don't understand English, and can't read. Even when the text is in their own language. How can there exist a country with such a selective education that they can produce brilliant engineers and scientists, but their foreign language skills and literacy are so low that they need to dub everything in German because not even German subtitles are enough? /sarcasm

Dubbing is for little kids. When you're 5 years old you probably don't know how to read too well, so you need dubbing for the cartoons you watch. After that, subtitles should be enough.

Cookie Spy
11th Jun 2012, 11:16
Speaking of dubbing, It's such a shame to see an advanced country like Germany be in such a state. They can make the best cars in the world, but they don't understand English, and can't read. Even when the text is in their own language. How can there exist a country with such a selective education that they can produce brilliant engineers and scientists, but their foreign language skills and literacy are so low that they need to dub everything in German because not even German subtitles are enough? /sarcasm

Dubbing is for little kids. When you're 5 years old you probably don't know how to read too well, so you need dubbing for the cartoons you watch. After that, subtitles should be enough.

Err, maybe you are right and my foreign language skills are not enough to grasp the point of your post. Are you trying to insult me? Are you just being racist? Or are you trying to be funny? :scratch:

I personally hate subtitles because for me they're just a distraction, I like to watch movies, read books and play games in English (if that's the original language). It's most likely funnier and better in every respect (although that's certainly not always the case).
However I can understand when someone wants to comsume media in their own language rather than the original, no matter why. There are definitely a lot of Germans who lack foreign language skills, but I'd guess it's the same in other countries.

Platinumoxicity
11th Jun 2012, 11:50
No I wasn't trying to be insulting. :D It was just a jab on the way Germans feel compelled to dub even hollywood movies. I hate it when anything is dubbed in my language because the character interactions look ridiculous when they are desperately trying to blend the foreign names they call eachother, with the textbook Finnish that absolutely no person in the whole country actually speaks. I once watched the localized trailer for the Finnish release of Resistance 2, and I almost died of shame. It was the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen. So in my experience of listening to things dubbed in my native language, nothing sounds natural. Is German somehow so much different? Do the characters actually sound natural?

With subtitles you can get the exact meaning of what the characters say with the exception of puns, while also getting the natural behavior of the characters in their native language. When it's dubbed, not only do the characters lose all their believability in their context, but they also become inconsistent, trying to use the foreign terminology and names while speaking a different language.

Cookie Spy
11th Jun 2012, 12:14
Oh thank god. I don't like dubbing either, but I don't speak any language other than German and English, so if the original is in French or Norwegian for example I have to rely on a dubbed version, because - as I already said - I hate subtitles.
I can't say I've ever watched a Finnish dub, but German dubs are actually really high quality. If you compare them to the original, you'll probably notice that the original is better, but there are exceptions! For me and most of my friends the Simpsons for example is way funnier in German like many other animated series. Perhaps because it's less awkward with animated characters? But I'm also a Scrubs-fan and I enjoy the original and the dub equally. And last but not least Life of Brian is waaaaaay funnier in German in my opinion.

fbdbh
11th Jun 2012, 12:21
I usually play everything in english and although I like an optional subtitle feature, the emphasis is on 'optional'.

I'm hungarian and usually we don't do a very good job in either dubbing or subtitling so it's just distraction for me, because I can understand just about everything in english (even in hammeriter-than-thou dialects). Sometimes there's no choice in the game, a game published in Hungary will likely be hungarian as well, but no optional english...

So either I order it from the UK, or get it on Steam (which will allow me at least to choose english as default).

Hungry Hungry Lilac
11th Jun 2012, 14:22
No I wasn't trying to be insulting. :D It was just a jab on the way Germans feel compelled to dub even hollywood movies. I hate it when anything is dubbed in my language because the character interactions look ridiculous when they are desperately trying to blend the foreign names they call eachother, with the textbook Finnish that absolutely no person in the whole country actually speaks. I once watched the localized trailer for the Finnish release of Resistance 2, and I almost died of shame. It was the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen. So in my experience of listening to things dubbed in my native language, nothing sounds natural. Is German somehow so much different? Do the characters actually sound natural?

With subtitles you can get the exact meaning of what the characters say with the exception of puns, while also getting the natural behavior of the characters in their native language. When it's dubbed, not only do the characters lose all their believability in their context, but they also become inconsistent, trying to use the foreign terminology and names while speaking a different language.

Don't forget that here in Finland we seem to have very few good voice actors, seeing how we get to hear the same voices everywhere. But sometimes it's really fun (and painful) to watch a Finnish dub of something.

But on topic; if the countries that prefer dubbing want a dub, I think it's reasonable.

Platinumoxicity
11th Jun 2012, 16:24
Don't forget that here in Finland we seem to have very few good voice actors, seeing how we get to hear the same voices everywhere. But sometimes it's really fun (and painful) to watch a Finnish dub of something.

Disney movies are pretty well done.

About dubbing games, I think it would be pretty funny to hear Ilkka Villi ( the face model for Alan Wake ) voicing Alan Wake in a Finnish dub of the game. :)

Hungry Hungry Lilac
11th Jun 2012, 16:43
^ Disney movies are well done indeed. I was actually going to say something about them and their good dubs in my last post but I had to go buy flowers with my parents mid-post.

CaptainObvious
11th Jun 2012, 21:43
I'd also prefer a german dub honestly. Normally I don't care, but the german dubs of Thief 1 and 2 were 10/10 masterpieces. It' probably nostalgia, but having heard both english and german versions, I'd actually say the german version is a tad better; in any case it's equal to the original.

It's kind of funny, they used two different voice actors in german Thief 1 and 2 but they sounded almost alike. I always thought it was just a better recording or some filter running over the voice files and didn't care, only to find out years later that the voice actors were actually different.

larix
12th Jun 2012, 20:23
I don't really understand why you ppl want your native dub, it's never as good as original(at least where I live) not to mention that cinematic/cut scenes sometimes suffer from it because they have to be artificially extended to fit your languages versions length which is often LOOOOONG in german...

TL;DR voice localizations are dumb and interfere with quality of original product

CaptainObvious
12th Jun 2012, 22:23
It's simple. if the dub is well made, none of your concerns apply. Especially for games where stuff like lip synching and such isn't s much ofa bother. It's just that they usually hire some hobos off the street for localization.

Why are some people so bothered localizations? Is there only one true language to play games in? Does it disturb your gaming experience that someone else can play the game in another language? I know I don't give a toss if german games are translated to english. I'm not bothered by playing in another language as long as I understand it, but if the devs feel they have the resources for it, more power to them.

For another example of a well made localization, play Lagacy of Kain: Defiance. I remember in the PS2 version you could choose from french, german, english and maybe italian(not really sure though it's been a while), and they were equally excellent. The voice actors for Kain and Raziel sounded almost alike.

Platinumoxicity
12th Jun 2012, 23:06
In my opinion there's one exception to dubbing. And that is Japanese to English. I have probably heard less than 5 talented Japanese voice actors. They can't act. They have one monotonous voice, and if they try to do another character, they have an exaggerated stereotyped voice, when they're trying to somehow reflect the nature of the character when trying to sound different. Japanese games and cartoons require English dubs simply because they're better.

Walter Mellin
13th Jun 2012, 00:59
I'm jealous of you European folks and the multilingual nature that is fostered there. a year of French, a year of German, seven years of Spanish spread out through middle school, high school, and college, and i have retained barely any of it.

@Platinumoxicity: you're insane about the English dubs of Japanese! English dubs are so damn annoying, especially in shows about teenage girls like Lucky Star. Japanese girls are naturally higher pitch and more often than not dubbers are more focused on matching pitch rather than matching the character. Voice acting is also a more serious business in Japan, where as only in the last decade or so anime dubs started getting effort put into them. Subs over dubs.

Platinumoxicity
13th Jun 2012, 06:29
@Platinumoxicity: you're insane about the English dubs of Japanese! English dubs are so damn annoying, especially in shows about teenage girls like Lucky Star. Japanese girls are naturally higher pitch and more often than not dubbers are more focused on matching pitch rather than matching the character. Voice acting is also a more serious business in Japan, where as only in the last decade or so anime dubs started getting effort put into them. Subs over dubs.

That's what every weeaboo always says, because that's word by word what they have read somewhere. They don't actually think or want to think because if they would, they could discover something about their favorite foreign country that doesn't fit their false concept of perfection. Their voice actors suck. Every line is dull and lifeless, and the unnaturally narrow range of the flexibility of their voices and the absence of many different ones makes one think that the entire country only has about seven people doing voices.

CaptainObvious
13th Jun 2012, 09:43
For anime, I don't mind the voices when the characters are supposed to be kids, but it's annoying when you have adult characters that squeal like 5 year olds.

In any case, I don't mind subtitles at all for movies, but for games it's different, since I want to be fully immersed there and subtitles are kind of a turnoff because of that. I don't mind playing other languages as long as I understand them aurally, though.

Hamadriyad
13th Jun 2012, 15:32
In my opinion there's one exception to dubbing. And that is Japanese to English. I have probably heard less than 5 talented Japanese voice actors. They can't act. They have one monotonous voice, and if they try to do another character, they have an exaggerated stereotyped voice, when they're trying to somehow reflect the nature of the character when trying to sound different. Japanese games and cartoons require English dubs simply because they're better.

I don't agree. I can't watch anime If it is in English. That just bothers me, English dubs are really annoying, for me anyway.
I think English dubs for animes should be forbidden.
Actually it is valid for all animations. If an animation is American, it must be English and so on.

CaptainObvious
13th Jun 2012, 17:55
Why are you so passsionate about that. It's not like the original dub and subtitles stop existing when a localization is made.

Or is someone forcing you to watch the english dub at gunpoint or something?:rasp:

Hamadriyad
13th Jun 2012, 18:01
Heh. :D I admit it is kinda fetish.
I guess you are right though, "should be forbidden" is a little too much. :D

Putkikameli
19th Jun 2012, 08:01
I demand Finnish dubbing and subtitles! And they must hire these guys for voice acting! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T_TLBZxY4U)

Oh the horror...

Hungry Hungry Lilac
19th Jun 2012, 10:28
^ Oujeah indeed! Agapio is such a classic! Muhahahahaaaaa! :nut:

Hamadriyad
22nd Jun 2012, 08:22
I was wondering about titles and subtitles... It's safe to say that after their debut with Deus Ex: Subtitle, they are just as insane as most other game companies, and Thief 4 will drop the 4 from the title and make it as hard as possible for anyone to think that it could be a sequel to a succesful franchise. And it's already the 4th (or something) game, therefore a number in the title must look horrible, right?

I like subtitles but I don't like dropped numbers. I agree with you.
Did DX:HR has a number at beginning? I don't really remember. And If it had, when they dropped the number? 1 year after the game announced, 2 years?

CaptainObvious
22nd Jun 2012, 13:47
I may be the minority here but I actually like subtitles without numbers more, for some reason it seems more umm, impactful...can't really explain it. Compare like, Deus Ex 3 to Deus Ex 3: Human Revolution to Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The one with subtitle and no number grabs the most attention on a quick glance, and has a more promising air about it.

tarvis79
22nd Jun 2012, 17:19
I actually prefer subtitled sequels as well. Think Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, or the new Batman trilogy. They're sequels, but they aren't numbered, and each film stands out on its own merits AND as part of a series. I like my games the same way. Obviously, a title doesn't reflect on a work's real quality, but a numbered title FEELS like a rehash of prior games (think MW, MW2, MW3, etc.).

Hamadriyad
22nd Jun 2012, 18:06
The LOTR is one book, but three parts. Not sequels.
Anyway, I like subtitles and numbers together, generally.

Domey
7th Apr 2013, 10:31
Hi german Taffers! :)

i made a petition, maybe we can bring back Andreas Brucker or Torsten Michaelis!

https://www.change.org/de/Petitionen/eidos-montreal-square-enix-german-dub-for-thief-thief-4

Please share and sign!

Greetz Domey

CaptainObvious
7th Apr 2013, 11:46
It would be awesome to get the old VAs back, but I kinda doubt it since so much time has passed since the old games. But one can hope.

I can imagine that it would be a big 'f*** you' to the Russel fans if we got out VAs back and they don't.:(

Domey
7th Apr 2013, 11:59
yeah thats right, BUT Torsten Michaelis (thief 2) was also in Hitman: Absolution as Agent 47 ;)

CaptainObvious
7th Apr 2013, 12:41
yeah thats right, BUT Torsten Michaelis (thief 2) was also in Hitman: Absolution as Agent 47 ;)

Thief games were always kind of popular in German speaking countries AFAIK. Maybe they'll throw us that bone.

Statue
7th Apr 2013, 12:47
Thief games were always kind of popular in German speaking countries AFAIK. Maybe they'll throw us that bone.

The dubbing was excellent, i can almost forgive the fact that there is no real pagan/hammerite lingo in the german version - they replaced it with a kind of eloquent high german, but that does not fit to the pagans at all.

pAUIuscdEHw

Nico A.
7th Apr 2013, 12:47
I have to say, I love the german dub for Garrett in TDP at least as much as I like Stephen Russell for Garrett. Of course, they sound different. But I just fell in love with the german voice actor. Therefore I would be happy if there is a german dub with the original german voice actor. But by no means do I believe that there must be editions of a game in a country were you are not able to turn the dubbing off.

Speaking for me, I'm also used to dubbing here in this country. And I also have to admit that sometimes I find it hard to understand spoken english (especially in movies were there's mumbling and fast speech and so on... not so much like in interviews) and sometimes when I write english online, I find myself with a translator at times for certain words. I also know I make mistakes in written english but as long as people get what I mean I'm okay with it. But I'm certainly not proud of that and see that in the not too distant future anyone not understanding english will have serious problems.

What's the reason? Well, certainly in part the education. We have baaaad english teachers. But I'm also not good at languages in general. When speaking, I search for the right words both in german and in english. A year ago I tried to start learning french but it took me long and I had to quit it because I didn't find the time.

What I really dislike though are subtitles, much rather leave it just at english. Please, I don't want any text to pop up just because someone says something. That was the case in TDS. That's such an immersion killer!

Platinumoxicity
7th Apr 2013, 12:55
Using Eidos Montréal's logic, you can't be getting the same voice actor. Dubbed voices can't match the quality of full performance capture, and you would never be satisfied with something that merely looks almost perfect, right? You won't get a dub at all because you want to see precise cinematic lip animations. You'll just have to be satisfied with the original English version.

-Except that nobody cares about the lipsynching, nobody wanted full performance, and nobody certainly wanted full performance to take precedence over the voice. And EM knows that, but only when it comes to foreign localization. You'll probably get your own high-quality German dub with the original Garrett voice actor, that won't look and sound any worse to any significant degree than the original full performance recording.

So, German speaking players will get the voice they want, in the expense of animation precision that they don't care about. And English speaking players will get the animation precision they don't care about, in the expense of the voice they would have wanted. :(

Statue
7th Apr 2013, 13:22
You can actually see some major "not-at-all-lipsynch-dubbing" in the video above. At 0:56 the Trickster asks Victory to give garret his "compensations". But the german sentence for this is too long, so he is still talking, although he stopped moving his mouth and starts grinning.

But it’s not bothering, because the brilliant voice actor perfectly covered it up and made it look like he talked "through his teeth" / while smiling.

Lasstmichdurch
9th Apr 2013, 15:40
The german synchronized versions of Thief were absolutely great, a masterpiece:worship: and had a perfect voice (T2 German Voice of Wesley Snipes), a cooler voice is nearly impossible...:cool:
The full capture argument is totally nonsense for me...
cause what i heard all the time in all Thief-games were only spoken thoughts and narrated story, also i am in first person perspective and don´t see my lips...

Me_onfore
9th Apr 2013, 21:53
iam not native english but i prefer the english version

i hope eidos montreal allow us to change spoken language seperate from subtitle language

i really wonder why nearly no game offers this (besides uncharted) ..
its standard @ dvds but game developers dont care about that :(

kangaxx
27th Jun 2013, 12:56
Hello everyone.

I´ve been reading this forum since a long time, but theres some information that slipped past me. So i have registered to ask some questions if you dont mind,

I started playing thief 3 (since on that time i only was interested in "light" stealth games), and it captibated me. The shadow based stealth games became my favourites, althought i still like games like deus ex human revolution, i feel these like a watered version of stealth games.After watching the e3 gameplay videos i was worried that thief 4 would use a binary system. The light gem used several degrees of illumination, but the screen effect was either active/inactive. Any info on this?

Another important question for me its the language. In thief 3, pleople spoke very weird ("thee shalt not taffin' round!" or things like that). I was unable to understand most of the books or guard chat since it used some kind of ancient english.

I dont know how do you english native speakers handle it, but at least in spain we are not taught that :(

Is there any chance for thief 4 to be translated (or dubbed too) into spanish? I would like to know more about this since i convinced many friends to play thief but they had a hard time to understand what they say. If its not going to be translated, is there any chance to use normal english words instead of those?

Thanks for reading it, any answer will be welcome!

deadoptimist
27th Jun 2013, 13:26
^ Hmm, I liked how the language was different for different factions. It seems that the language of the new Thief will be the regular American English though, so you won't have this problem.

I won't even consider buying the game in Russian. Many gamers here would want the local version and I suppose they have right to ask for it, bou I won't use it - every Russian voiceover I've heard so far was terrible.
I really hope that there won't be a region lock. It is mostly useless with modern DRMs or in steam version and very uncomfortable for those who have not English as their first foreigh language.

kangaxx
27th Jun 2013, 15:07
^ Hmm, I liked how the language was different for different factions. It seems that the language of the new Thief will be the regular American English though, so you won't have this problem.

I won't even consider buying the game in Russian. Many gamers here would want the local version and I suppose they have right to ask for it, bou I won't use it - every Russian voiceover I've heard so far was terrible.
I really hope that there won't be a region lock. It is mostly useless with modern DRMs or in steam version and very uncomfortable for those who have not English as their first foreigh language.

No idead how the russian dubbing are, but spanish are are random. It can be either really good or really bad :confused:

If its translated (text only), wouldnt be mutch help at all, expending more time watching the lower side of the screen while reading than actually playing the game. If at least uses normal english, it would be much easyer to understand.

Hell, i dont even know what does taffer means

EDIT: By the way, thanks to whoever moved my first post. I used the search function to fing if there was any similar thread but couldnt find any

deadoptimist
27th Jun 2013, 16:01
No idead how the russian dubbing are, but spanish are are random. It can be either really good or really bad :confused:

If its translated (text only), wouldnt be mutch help at all, expending more time watching the lower side of the screen while reading than actually playing the game. If at least uses normal english, it would be much easyer to understand.

Hell, i dont even know what does taffer means

EDIT: By the way, thanks to whoever moved my first post. I used the search function to fing if there was any similar thread but couldnt find any
I think that most Russian dubbings are abysmal. I remember that after only a few minutes in the Russian version of Bioshock 2 I thought that my ears would bleed. That's cause all the dubbing is done by two companies, and they use the same boring voices with bad acting. :(

I always play with subtitles. :o Otherwise I can miss something. It is especially hard, when there're some sci-fi or fantasy terms. I grew accustomed to it, so I do not find it intrusive. But yes, not everyone likes it.
Usually there're European multylanguage versions, aren't they?

Nobody knows what exactly "taffer" means (we know how it is used, not its in-game origin). :D That's the beauty of this word.

janiashvili
27th Jun 2013, 18:16

Yeah, I remember playing Russian dubbed Thief 2. It was really awful.

Hamadriyad
27th Jun 2013, 18:45
SR dubbing would be awesome.

deadoptimist
27th Jun 2013, 18:46
Yeah, I remember playing Russian dubbed Thief 2. It was really awful.
That was hardcore. D: Replacing Russell's magnificent voice is a sacrilege. I think that in such cases subtitles are the best variant - you can at least hear the right intonations even if you do not fully understand the words.
It'd be great if we finally had variety in local versions, so that some people could get their dubbing (maybe there'd even be a better one, if there was competition) and those who are comfortable with subtitles could get them instead. Also I'd like to have possibility to occasionally play in other European languages for language practise.
It is usually said that region locks are needed because of our local prices, but with steam version or other DRM it doesn't make any sense.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Jul 2013, 11:12
EM tweet:

Thief ‏@Thief

What does Garrett sound like in Russian?

See the @THIEF E3 trailer featuring Alexander Noskov - http://ht.ly/mD7wj #MasterThief
Retweeted by Eidos-Montréal

deadoptimist
4th Jul 2013, 11:29
I'm on the fence here. The voice itself is fine, the intonations are okeyish (better than usual Russian VA), but still it feels like a car commercial. Maybe I just grew out of habit of my own language in games. ><

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Jul 2013, 11:38
... but still it feels like a car commercial.

A car commercial? I didn't hear any horns honking! :D

The trailer is meant to be a "commercial" though, right?

deadoptimist
4th Jul 2013, 12:07
A car commercial? I didn't hear any horns honking! :D
The trailer is meant to be a "commercial" though, right?

A bit artificial, I mean. Or maybe I just heard the VA in one of the commercials or something...

FrankCSIS
4th Jul 2013, 15:13
Some of us have felt the same with the original English version. I suspect this specific music, the intonations, and the pauses between the half sentences play a role in this.

xDarknessFallsx
4th Jul 2013, 17:00
Yes, here was a post observing the car commercial vibe of the English version: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1923947&postcount=690

deadoptimist
4th Jul 2013, 18:25
Ah, yes, I remember that post.
Whoa, so our voiceover is accurate! Amazing.
Still, I'll probably stick with English version.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Sep 2013, 08:46
FYI, SE confirms Thief will be available in the following languages:

English, French, Italian, German, Spanish

EDIT/UPDATE
I believe Russian is also included... but awaiting confirmation

SECOND EDIT
Russian is confirmed

guguck15
26th Sep 2013, 12:17

That link doesn't work with my chrome. Maybe they don't allow deep links.

Does that means that we'll have fully dubbed versions or English audio with subtitles like in TDS?
Honestly, I really liked the kind of old English spoken in TDS. Sounded really pleasant to my German ears. But the damning review of the new voice actor makes me wonder if I wouldn't like dubbed audio better.

Well, I hope the DVD comes with all language versions on it, so I can decide after buying.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Sep 2013, 12:31
I'm not sure about Chrome. Sorry about that. :flowers:
EDIT: I just tried with Chrome and it worked for me.

Can you link to the damning review you speak of?

As for your questions about fully dubbed versions, we will have to wait for further details to be released. Watch this space.

guguck15
26th Sep 2013, 12:44
Can you link to the damning review you speak of?

Sorry, I missed an 's' for plural. Just wanted to say, that I've read a lot of bad opinions about the new speaker and what I got to hear in the trailers did'nt convince me of the contrary.
So in general, I just tried to express, that a dubber may be not that great loss of feeling if the original voice isn't that great.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Sep 2013, 13:02
Okay, I have read both good and bad opinions regarding the new VA, hence my confusion there.

NIB
26th Sep 2013, 13:28
That link doesn't work Search y chrome. Maybe they don't allow deep links.

Does that means that we'll have fully dubbed versions or English audio with subtitles like in TDS?
Honestly, I really liked the kind of old English spoken in TDS. Sounded really pleasant to my German ears. But the damning review of the new voice actor makes me wonder if I wouldn't like dubbed audio better.

Well, I hope the DVD comes with all language versions on it, so I can decide after buying.

The german dubbing is even worse in this case. Search for "thief story trailer german" on YT.

NIB
26th Sep 2013, 13:34
Okay, I have read both good and bad opinions regarding the new VA, hence my confusion there.

Where does one find positive opinions about the new VA?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Sep 2013, 14:06
On this very forum in different threads, they definitely exist. In fact, the most recent was within the last 24 hours. Go look before you ask me to quote... I'm too lazy and too busy to do it for you. :rasp: :naughty:
Also you'll find positive comments out there on other gaming forums, if you care to look.
You honestly have never seen anyone say they like the voice?

NIB
26th Sep 2013, 15:02
No, i really didn't. A bunch of people seem to find the new VA average though. Btw MT doesn't count since he praises everything lately ;)

guguck15
26th Sep 2013, 19:08
@NIB:
I have to admit that I like the voice of the English speaker more than German's one. But I think the English VA could improve his emphasizing.
Well, nothing's perfect and I won't dislike the new Thief because of bad audio. Just looking forward to seeing the whole game in february. Maybe there will be some more trailers released until then.

Thanks for the information so far.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Sep 2013, 06:31
@NIB. I hope goguck's post has made it a little easier for you to accept that not everyone has bad opinions about the va.
MT is not excluded because he's a fan just the same as you are.... but even if I were to entertain you on that one, you'll still find posts stating the voice actor is liked.

Back on topic... Russian is confirmed. My previous post has been edited.

MasterTaffer
27th Sep 2013, 23:41

EDIT/UPDATE
I believe Russian is also included... but awaiting confirmation

SECOND EDIT
Russian is confirmed

We had a Community news posts about the Russian voice actor for Garrett some time ago, silly person.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Sep 2013, 23:44
Yes, I know that. As Russian was not listed on SE's own website (at time of posting), I thought it best to check with Adam in case a cancellation had occurred.
You never know. Silly person. :rasp:

Anyway, Czech and Polish have also been added.
The list now reads:

MasterTaffer
27th Sep 2013, 23:48
Yes, I know that. As Russian was not listed on SE's own website (at time of posting), I thought it best to check with Adam in case a cancellation had occurred.
You never know. Silly person. :rasp:

http://images.wikia.com/en.futurama/images/d/da/Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg

This discussion of who is, in fact, the silly person is far from over. MARK MY WORDS!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Sep 2013, 23:58
The insolence! Kill all humans, kill all humans, must kill all hu... :mad:

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j472/Twizted_Viewz/banned.jpg

Skaryn
19th Jan 2014, 11:40
Hi there,

I have a question which is very important to me. I live in Germany and most games here get a German voice over version. Personally I don't like the German versions of games. I never have and probably never will. Some games have the option to change the language in the menu, or change it automatically to which language your console system is set. Some don't have such features. I really need to know if I have to import Thief from the UK or not. I don't want to buy the game for 60 euros and then get frustrated because of some shi**ty voice over. I would appreciate any information about that.

Thanks in advance,
Skaryn

Irina
19th Jan 2014, 13:22
Are console games region-locked ? I can't recall a game I imported from the UK not working on my PS3.

Skaryn
19th Jan 2014, 13:42
I'm not talking about region locks. It just appears to be that some games don't have other languages on them than the language of the country you bought it in, you get what I mean? I buy a game in Germany let's say at Gamestop. Now there's two types of games: Games that force me to play them in German and games that let me change the language. If Thief is one of the games that force me to play in German when bought in Germany than I'll have to import it form the UK to be absolutley sure that I can enjoy it in English. I hope it's clear now what I'm talking about.

Irina
19th Jan 2014, 13:45
I'm not talking about region locks. It just appears to be that some games don't have other languages on them than the language of the country you bought it in, you get what I mean? I buy a game in Germany let's say at Gamestop. Now there's two types of games: Games that force me to play them in German and games that let me change the language. If Thief is one of the games that force me to play in German when bought in Germany than I'll have to import it form the UK to be absolutley sure that I can enjoy it in English. I hope it's clear now what I'm talking about.

Okay. To be sure you can just order it from Amazon.uk and be done with it.

NIB
19th Jan 2014, 14:28
I would get it from the UK as well. It even will be cheaper.

siranderson
19th Jan 2014, 14:43
you can just change the language in the settings :)
oooh wait xbox lol nvm

Skaryn
19th Jan 2014, 17:12
I would get it from the UK as well. It even will be cheaper.

Normally you would be right, but with day one delivery to Germany it would cost about 70 Euros so I thought I should ask first before paying 20 Euros more than usually.

And yes, I do need day one delivery because I'm impatient as hell. :D

knox140
19th Jan 2014, 17:23
Maybe ask on the Facebook page? People tend to get answers from the devs there.

Irina
19th Jan 2014, 17:25

Then be ready to take a gamble.
You can't complain from that point.

argan1985
19th Jan 2014, 18:45
Normally you would be right, but with day one delivery to Germany it would cost about 70 Euros so I thought I should ask first before paying 20 Euros more than usually.

I don't understand this. Is it really that essential to some people to get to play a game on the day it is released?

Such impatience...if you've waited years, who cares about a few weeks or days.

Then be ready to take a gamble.
You can't complain from that point.

Agreed.

pwyll
20th Jan 2014, 13:05
Just give the community the language pack and you will have the game translated in every language on Earth.

Funny
24th Jan 2014, 08:02
Hey guys! I live in Australia and learn English, my main language Russian. I pre-order Thief in steam. So I have a question, can I download Thief with Russian language or I have to play only with English?

Kindly thank you.

knox140
24th Jan 2014, 10:03
There definitely is a version of the game in Russian:

http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Loot-Steals-You?theme=thief

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jan 2014, 10:10
Indeed.
First post/first page of this thread contains all the updates and links.

NIB
24th Jan 2014, 10:47
That's not what he was asking for.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jan 2014, 10:50
Perhaps this is more useful:

Steam - Language Settings
How can I change the language for Steam and my games?
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8487-WSCN-4121

NIB
24th Jan 2014, 10:57
The question is: will Thief support steams language selection? I am curious about that too.

coniu
20th Feb 2014, 13:11
Bumping this thread.

Is there any official info on what languages will be available on PS4 discs in specific countries?
I live in Germany, but I'd like to play it in English. Amazon says that only German screen text will be available here. Is that true?

knox140
20th Feb 2014, 13:19
I am pretty sure the PS4 is not region locked, maybe you can order a game in from England?

NIB
20th Feb 2014, 14:50
Bumping this thread.

Is there any official info on what languages will be available on PS4 discs in specific countries?
I live in Germany, but I'd like to play it in English. Amazon says that only German screen text will be available here. Is that true?

According to the official german FB page:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t31/q71/s720x720/1523273_615858751818661_1552107828_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/ThiefDE/photos/a.521808171223720.1073741828.489610844443453/615858751818661/?type=1&relevant_count=1

HugoChileno
23rd Feb 2014, 14:11
No Brazilian Portuguese language on Thief?

NIB
23rd Feb 2014, 14:45
No Brazilian Portuguese language on Thief?

I'm afraid not:

tuelhoUSA
26th Feb 2014, 16:35
Brazilian portuguese? Available?

NIB
26th Feb 2014, 16:40
Brazilian portuguese? Available?

Reading the thread? Available?

DungeonMaster20
26th Feb 2014, 17:28
When I bought Thief for my ps4, I fully expected that there would be language options included. I REALLY wanted to play the game in French, and seeing as it was developed by Eidos Montreal, I thought this would be a no-brainer.

What can I do? Is there any way to play the game with French language options?

Thanks!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Feb 2014, 11:46
I don't own a PS4 so not qualified to give advice, but are there not options to choose the language in the game settings?

HawkflyAway
27th Feb 2014, 15:56
PC Version

it is possbile, tweaking a bit the .INI files this work for every game which use Unreal 3.0
i dont have the game still..i can help when finally download it :)

i waited along

but is there a voice called
[language] or something