PDA

View Full Version : Thief One & Two - Impossible To Find In Retail Stores?

Sierra Oscar
29th May 2009, 20:53
I have been trying to search for my retail copies of Thief: The Dark Project & The Metal Age over the last few days, simply because I want to replay the games now after hearing about Thief 4.;)

I notice however that its very hard to come across a copy of the Thief games in retail stores, and thats not a surprise considering Thief 1 is over a decade old!

I was wondering, are Eidos considering releasing Thief Gold and The Metal age on any digital distribution service or the like over the coming months? Thief Deadly Shadows is for sale on Steam, however none of the other games are. Coming up to the release of Thief 4, I would bet that quite a few people will be willing to try the older thief games to get into the spirit of Thief gameplay coming up to the release of Thief 4 . . .

Stile451
30th May 2009, 02:48
They would need to fix the problems that the first two games have running on current hardware so I doubt it.

Sierra Oscar
30th May 2009, 09:59
Yeah I was thinking that too, however Eidos do have all the back catalog Commandos games on Steam.

Gillie
30th May 2009, 13:55
They have the collection at Amazon Uk. I must admit I was surprised T2 was not there seperate, must have been a surge on the TDP is hard to get as is Gold.
(Gold is TDP wth two extra missions)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thief-Collection-Dvd-Video-Game/dp/B00172HK58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1243691562&sr=8-1

Tin Star
31st May 2009, 06:37
They have the collection at Amazon Uk. I must admit I was surprised T2 was not there seperate, must have been a surge on the TDP is hard to get as is Gold.
(Gold is TDP wth two extra missions)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thief-Collection-Dvd-Video-Game/dp/B00172HK58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1243691562&sr=8-1

I think Thief Gold had three extra missions added to it.

Tin Star

Gillie
1st Jun 2009, 10:51
I think Thief Gold had three extra missions added to it.

Tin Star

Yes my bad! there are three. :flowers:

Belboz
25th Jun 2009, 06:32
only deadly shadows is on steam out of the thief series.

Peter_Smith
26th Jun 2009, 18:44
My advice is to search e-bay and stay away from steam. There have been many problems reported with steam versions, but I don't know if Deadly Shadows has those problems or not.

Sierra Oscar
6th Jul 2009, 17:49
Well, looks like LucasArts get the idea.:)

http://www.lucasarts.com/company/vip/catalog/lec_backcatalog_2009.pdf

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – July 6, 2009 – Fans have asked and LucasArts has delivered! Today the company announced a new initiative in its effort to revive its classic and beloved franchises by making its games available for the first time ever as digital downloads online. In this first round of releases, ten fan-favorite LucasArts PC games will be made available Wednesday, July 8 on SteamĀ®, Valve Corporation's delivery and management platform for the PC. Scheduled for release are classic adventure titles like LOOM and The Dig and hit action games including Star Wars Battlefront II and Star Wars Republic Commando.

This is all a strategy to get people playing LucasArts classic games again.

Peter_Smith
7th Jul 2009, 02:26
Submitting old software to Steam does not mean the company is behind it. It seems to me it is a way to earn a few more bucks without doing any work. If they were behind it, they would issue updated versions. Steam has been tried for Thief, too. From what I hear, there were problems with it. In the case of T1 and T2, they need to be fixed so they work, or the source code needs to be released. That, not distribution, is the main problem.

Xcom
8th Jul 2009, 14:51
I believe "SoldOut" versions of the game are still widely available in retail stores.

Oddr Stenvaag
15th Sep 2009, 16:03
Microcenter around their classic games section.

littlektaffer
16th Sep 2009, 01:46
They need to do the right thing and update THIEF. Especially gold. JUST DO IT! Cause I think my copy of gold is kaputz.

grado
31st Mar 2010, 09:22
yeah, that's right, they got some problem of this edition.

Raziel'sRevenge
21st Apr 2010, 03:52
Hehe every day I realize a little bit more just how lucky I was to find a used copy of Thief Gold in a local game store. I'm telling you people, I don't know about the rest of the world but here in New York, USA the number of classic used game stores is skyrocketing. I found another one within easy driving distance from my home town just a few weeks ago! Take advantage while you can.