PDA

View Full Version : Hiding in the light?

Hypevosa
29th May 2009, 19:35
I just had an interesting idea, what about a mission where primary enemy is actually a nocturnal creature who sees better what's in the dark than what's in the light, so when you hide in the dark, they see you, where as if you hide in the light, they cannot. Just thought it would be an interesting idea...

"Never thought I'd ever want it to be broad daylight..."

Just an idea to mix up one of the levels a bit...

MasterTaffer
29th May 2009, 19:52
I had a similar concept while making a cave diving level for Thief Gold a few years ago. I had made the cave's Craymen unique in that their eyes had become so useless from the lack of light in their cavern. Instead, I ramped up their hearing sensitivity to give the illusion that their clicks and screeches were a form of echo location. I confirmed this in some in level scrolls as well.

Unfortunately my computer crashed when I was about 75% done with my level and I lost months of work. I was so disheartened that I never went back and tried to recreate it.

While they may not be sensitive to light as you're saying, what they share in common is that they are able to track Garrett a unique way as compared to the rest of the people in critters in Thief, thus mixing it up a bit. It's a good idea, to be sure.

Hypevosa
29th May 2009, 19:56
:D cool idea. You should consider making it again, it sounds like fun to me. it would be a thief 2 FM level I take it?

MasterTaffer
29th May 2009, 19:58
It was a Thief Gold mission originally, I'de consider remaking it as a Thief 2 mission if I decided to try again. It isn't likely though.

Yaphy
30th May 2009, 09:53
And what happens if you draw a fire arrow?! You will get invisible for those poor creatures and could easly walk around with the arrow totaly unnoticed. Hmm...What about a shadow arrow? :rolleyes:

Hypevosa
30th May 2009, 12:21
see that's why fire arrows don't make you glow uberbright, only 3 shades lighter I think, and 4 or 5 while running. It would probably be the intelligent thing to do running between torches or something. That would be interesting... if you aren't quiet enough, they could spit out torches you were hiding under... hahahaha, that could be a frantic bit of fun if you aren't careful.

kin
30th May 2009, 14:45
I was thinking a scary opponent could be a new creature that could make gameplay more chalenging. Imagine a species that lives in caves underground like ratbeasts but does not rely on vision to locate stuff in darkness but with sound like a bat sonar.
This could force the player to stick close in spots with loud and continouous sounds like generators or other machinery to cover his "sound" image. I believe this could create alot of tension ingame because machinery usually is close to light sources so the player would have to master his technique in sthealth using solely his sound feedback from the suroundings.

I am just quoting my shelf because I am too bored to write it.
In this thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88547&page=2

huzi73
31st May 2009, 21:58
Could be neat,especial since id be totally pwnd every time i run for a shadow,get whiped,then realise,oh crap!stay out of the shadows!brilliant idea!

Ravenwood
31st May 2009, 22:38
Actually, I'm really intrigued by the idea of creatures like that. It's creative and unusual compared to typical Thief enemies.

Tom Pladgett
1st Jun 2009, 01:05
There was actually something like this in the second Splinter Cell, where you had to cross a yard watched by a guard wearing nightvision goggles. You had to stay in the beam of a roving spotlight to remain invisible. I remember feeling really weird doing that bit.

Hamadriyad
1st Jun 2009, 11:40
There was actually something like this in the second Splinter Cell, where you had to cross a yard watched by a guard wearing nightvision goggles. You had to stay in the beam of a roving spotlight to remain invisible. I remember feeling really weird doing that bit.

Yes. Pandora Tomorrow, Infiltrate the embassy.
I don't like so much.But interesting.

huzi73
1st Jun 2009, 12:51
Well now,maybe something like this could also be done by the guys doing the dark mod

Hamadriyad
1st Jun 2009, 17:58
Hmm...What about a shadow arrow? :rolleyes:
Shadow arrow, hmm...Really interesting idea.

Hypevosa
1st Jun 2009, 19:31
What about a shadow arrow? :rolleyes:

How would you find a shadow arrow? it would need to be in it's element so it would be in the darkness, but it would be too dark to see already O.o lol. Everything in 10 feet of the strike is turned to pure darkness, can snuff out even electric lights.

Hamadriyad
2nd Jun 2009, 08:28
How would you find a shadow arrow? it would need to be in it's element so it would be in the darkness, but it would be too dark to see already O.o lol. Everything in 10 feet of the strike is turned to pure darkness, can snuff out even electric lights.

I want a new thread for shadow arrow, and maybe we discuss new tools too.;)

Espion
2nd Jun 2009, 08:38
... a mission where primary enemy is actually a nocturnal creature who sees better what's in the dark than what's in the light...

Nice idea. This would be very cool.

And what happens if you draw a fire arrow?! You will get invisible for those poor creatures and could easly walk around with the arrow totaly unnoticed. Hmm...What about a shadow arrow? :rolleyes:

I don't think you'd be unnoticed. They light in caves would be mostly static, at least to the degree that if there was a large ball of light moving across the room the creatures may get very suspicious leading them to investigate/attack.

Hypevosa
2nd Jun 2009, 18:27
:D thanks, more dynamic enemies could definitely make the game more challenging and fun.

Yaphy
2nd Jun 2009, 22:02

Ehem...You didnt notice the sarcastic smilie in my post, yes? If you dont know how it looks here is a tip: :rolleyes:
It says "Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

Hypevosa
2nd Jun 2009, 23:14
It's still a fun idea to toy with... maybe the elements of light and darkness are becoming more separate and more distinct with the disappearance of the keepers, making the elements themselves start to crystalize. XD

I just like to take an idea and run with it, it's fun and if it doesn't lead to something good well... it was still fun. Occassionally good things come of it.

Rachie
4th Jun 2009, 04:55

Finally, something to take down the electrical lights! :lmao:

I'm really fascinated by that concept of hiding in light, it could be a huge hit! And it could really cause tension and confuse the player a little, but in a good way. :thumb:

But, as jtr7 says, in only one level or area of the game.

Corvin25
4th Jun 2009, 05:31
In H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine," the hero encounters a race of darkness-dwelling cannibals called Morlocks. Like what the OP suggests, these creatures can see in the dark, yet are virtually blind in any well-lit area.

It's a concept which could be very interesting if done correctly.

agrash
5th Jun 2009, 19:25

Yeah, that was awesome turn of events with lambert suddenly yelling us to use the light instead

kabatta
6th Jun 2009, 05:21
It would not be so fun to enter a room with 3 normal npc's and 1 or two that see in the dark.

kaekaelyn
6th Jun 2009, 05:42
Interesting idea! I like it, because I think it would be easy to fall into old habits and try hiding in the shadows. You have to go against your instincts, and that's always a challenge. I'm wondering, though, where you would encounter these creatures. If you encounter them in their natural habitat, surely they would not employ any light sources, since they wouldn't need them.

Knight
6th Jun 2009, 19:51
Good idea, a map when u need to hide in the light, but let only 1 or 2 map be from it. And a map when your enemies are blind, or something..^^

Hypevosa
6th Jun 2009, 20:13
Good idea, a map when u need to hide in the light, but let only 1 or 2 map be from it. And a map when your enemies are blind, or something..^^

blind with super sensitive hearing is a little cliche but still could be fun.