PDA

View Full Version : Age range

esme
29th May 2009, 14:31
being fairly ancient and having a certain annual event looming like a spectre of the apocalypse in my future I have been thinking about age

so this led me to being curious to know what the rough age ranges for Thief players are

so I made a poll, cos I can and cos I'm nosey :D

and I'll add mine after a few have added theirs, lets just say I don't get carded in bars and leave it at that m'kay

LightWarriorK
29th May 2009, 14:41
I've still got another two years before I need to check the next box. Even though the deciennial year is duplicated for two options, I choose that 30 is in the earlier one and that the next one doesn't start until 31.

René
29th May 2009, 14:49
Woo hoo! People in my age range! There are some posts over in the DX3 forum where people posted their 1992 and 1994 birth dates. I felt old.

esme
29th May 2009, 14:50
d*mn yep that should be 0-10, 11-20, 21-30 and so on

hmm no smack self on head smiley .... http://www.boxtechnic.com/images/doh.gif

LightWarriorK
29th May 2009, 15:30
^Ah, it's ok, I'm just joking around. :)

I think most of the people who CARE about Thief 4 enough to be a part of these forums will end up being 20+

Afterall, Thief is a decade or so old, and was geared more towards the more mature teens and young adults at the time, so really the core group was 15 and older at the time.

And TDS didn't do much to bring crowds to the series (hint hint, EM!), so really, the focused group of people here are going to be older.

I'd be surprised to find anyone under 20 right now with a passionate mature desire for Thief 4. I suppose it's possible, but at the same time, I'm willing to be that they've only played TDS.

esme
29th May 2009, 16:33
now I really feel old :(

... kinda sorry I asked

Direlord
29th May 2009, 18:35
Woo hoo! People in my age range! There are some posts over in the DX3 forum where people posted their 1992 and 1994 birth dates. I felt old.

It doesn't seem so bad till you realize that the ones born in 92 are 17 now. That makes me feel old.

I'm still in the 20-30 range just much closer to 30 than 20.

Hypevosa
29th May 2009, 19:26
most of us were probably teens when we played the first ones which explains why it says that most of us are 20-30.

Yotun
29th May 2009, 21:07
Errrr... so how old IS everyone? Nobody's telling apparently.

I'm 23. I already feel old and ancient believe it or not! For me, I became old at the point when fancying a 16 year old makes you a pervert. I think I'm still just young enough for the 18 year olds though.

GmanPro
29th May 2009, 21:10
I'll be 19 in a few short months

MasterTaffer
29th May 2009, 21:14
Just turned 23 in the middle of the month. Feel old, especially since I should have started my Game Art & Design degree sooner...

Caranfin
29th May 2009, 21:37
I'm 19. Turning 20 next december.

Jilly The Taffer
29th May 2009, 21:51
It doesn't seem so bad till you realize that the ones born in 92 are 17 now. That makes me feel old.

A 1992er here :thumb:

I'm 17, going to be the big 18 in February :D

I've loved Thief since the Dark Project days ;)

hellwalker
29th May 2009, 23:15
21, I was like 12 when I first played thief? ahh good old times, I played Blade of Darkness around that time too :D suck that ESRB!

Hypevosa
30th May 2009, 01:46
20, 21 on january 21st (good timin eh?)

TafferPants
30th May 2009, 02:45
22 ..where did 21 go? *sigh*
Just got my Diploma in Game Art & Design last month ^^

Mr. Perfect
30th May 2009, 06:16
OK, hold up. How are all the young twenty somethings feeling old? You can't start with that stuff until you see grey hairs or something! :lol: If you're not going to partaaaay, get outa my age bracket. :rasp:

Esme, I know there are more taffers in the higher brackets. They may still be in the classic Thief forums though.

MasterTaffer
30th May 2009, 06:17
OK, hold up. How are all the young twenty somethings feeling old? You can't start with that stuff until you see grey hairs or something! :lol:

Esme, I know there are more taffers in the higher brackets. They may still be in the classic Thief forums though.

I'm 23 and I have some grey hairs. I'm old.

Mr. Perfect
30th May 2009, 06:25
Hmm. Ok. Well, do you have kids who are embarrassed to be seen with you at the mall? Do your joints ache before a rain storm? Are all of the songs you listened in college on the oldies station?

If you answered no to any of those questions, go get a drink! I think Rene is bar tending. :)

MasterTaffer
30th May 2009, 06:32
Hmm. Ok. Well, do you have kids who are embarrassed to be seen with you at the mall?
Sort of.

Do your joints ache before a rain storm?
Yes. (Stem from old injuries)

Are all of the songs you listened in college on the oldies station?
Considering I like oldies, yes...

If you answered no to any of those questions, go get a drink! I think Rene is bar tending. :)
I don't drink, it's bad for my kidneys...

SDFprowler
30th May 2009, 07:34
I'm 22. I was like.. 14 when I first played Thief. That was about the same time I started playing Half-Life. I didn't actually play through the entire game of Thief until I built my first PC when I was 16.

Thieffanman
30th May 2009, 07:34
In my 30's. I'm wise enough now to know what I can get away with, and still foolish enough to try it ;).

--Thieffanman

BoldEnglishman
30th May 2009, 09:54
Blade of Darkness

Oh yeah!

I'm a 1991er, so I'm 18 here. First played Thief II when it was released, didn't get the original Thief until only 2005 (man was I missing out big time!)

DiegoFloor
30th May 2009, 10:27
Such a pretty Gaussian distribution :D

edit: Btw, I'm 27.

edit2: wow... that's a really geek comment! :P

Herr_Garrett
30th May 2009, 10:31
20. I guess most Thief veterans are in this age or above. :)
Going to get my diploma next year.

esme
30th May 2009, 13:07
Just turned 23 in the middle of the month. Feel old, especially since I should have started my Game Art & Design degree sooner...

I'm 50 but will be 51 tomorrow so I ticked the next box up, I got my Comp Sci degree back in 79, I remember when Pong was state of the art and I've played video games for the entire time they've been available

well told you I don't get carded anymore

Thieffanman
30th May 2009, 18:35
I'm 50 but will be 51 tomorrow so I ticked the next box up, I got my Comp Sci degree back in 79, I remember when Pong was state of the art and I've played video games for the entire time they've been available

I'm in the U.S. If I read my calendar right, I should say "Happy Birthday!" right about now? :)

--Thieffanman

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Jun 2009, 09:21
Oh yes! Happy Birthday, Esme! :flowers:

esme
1st Jun 2009, 10:33
thank you, I am now officially a raddled old hag :D

and in view of the mighty achievement of being alive after all these years I've treated myself to an avatar

Espion
2nd Jun 2009, 08:29
Happy Birthday (yesterday) Esme! Hope you had a fun day :)

I'm almost 28.

I was 17 when TDP came out and I was gutted because I had a machine that could barely run it (it took about 15 minutes to load a level o_O) Funnily enough, just over ten years later, I now find myself with a machine that can't run it at all.

huzi73
2nd Jun 2009, 13:48
21...and lovin it

huzi73
2nd Jun 2009, 14:00
Happy Birthday (yesterday) Esme! Hope you had a fun day :)

this

Necros
3rd Jun 2009, 10:39
I'm 25, I was born in 1984, on the 6th February. :cool:

Garga
16th Sep 2009, 16:15
I am 50 something - I can't remember exactly my memory is sadly diminished. Been playing thief for many years, sadly how long exactly I don't remember either, it seems a long time ago though.

:nut:

Lozza86-UK
16th Sep 2009, 19:40
I'm 22. B'day is 27th of december. A time when people are extremely stingy :(

kabatta
16th Sep 2009, 19:50
Heh, heh, a community where 20 is young. Just abouth every community has kiddies talking on the forum. That makes me feel old and guilty for still playing video games. I've started playing Thief 2 years ago (I'll get the pire fot this). Phew, my fear of the possibilitty of a too young community was abolished. (no offense intended for kiddies, they have rights too)

GhostStealth
16th Sep 2009, 21:46
22 year old taffer, but more young than old. :)

Nightcrowe
17th Sep 2009, 16:58
I'm over 40 and that's all I'm saying ;)

jewbagel
17th Sep 2009, 23:50
I'm 28. But didn't discover Thief until TDS, mainly because I was a console player until I got a decent computer in 2003-04ish.

Well, not exactly true. I played the hell out of those old dos games in the early 90s. Hugo/Commander Keen ftw :P

ps, great to see a whole bunch of age groups on here too.

Hecateus
18th Sep 2009, 03:52
I'm 22. B'day is xxth of xxxxxxer. A time when people are extremely stingy :(

not a good idea to give your birthdate. Be a safe taffer, and edit it. Me 36,and I have your birthday too.

Rachie
18th Sep 2009, 22:32
"Functionally Immortal" I am. I feel incredibly young compared to everyone's posts here.

I turn 17 in January. :D Guess that puts me under the definition of "kiddo".

Absinthe
19th Sep 2009, 21:21
I will turn 40 end of the year and I don't feel old... :-)
The fact that we have some weird "looking younger than we really are" genes running around in the family does help!!

esme
19th Sep 2009, 23:12
I will turn 40 end of the year and I don't feel old... :-)
The fact that we have some weird "looking younger than we really are" genes running around in the family does help!!

I don't feel old either, I just am ;)

Teasza
20th Sep 2009, 00:10
I'm 25. I've been with Thief since Dark Project. My brother and I used to hole ourselves up in the study and play it in the pitch dark - we had a cat that would choose the most inopportune moments to brush against our legs. For instance, in the haunted cathedral.

Absinthe
20th Sep 2009, 00:56
I don't feel old either, I just am ;)

I think age is totally over rated... :)

theBlackman
20th Sep 2009, 02:29

well told you I don't get carded anymore

My age is easily determined by the Profile info. But, esme, you are a spring chicken. JoanieS, myself and a few others are in the 60 plus area. I am working on 73. I'll not speak for others, but I do know one of our members was 81 a few years ago, and last I heard was still stealing through the shadows with Garrett.

Buck up. You have a long way to go, and you'll have lots of company, behind you and, for sure, ahead of you. :) :flowers:

I think age is totally over rated... :)

To one extent you are correct. Age by itself is nothing. The trick is to "learn" as you go. Many people, for example, say they have worked at a place for X number of years when, in reality, they have merely done one year of work five times. Life and the "age" that goes with it are the same thing. It's what you did with the time that accrued to your "age" that is important. Not the "age" itself.

Absinthe
20th Sep 2009, 17:28
To one extent you are correct. Age by itself is nothing. The trick is to "learn" as you go. Many people, for example, say they have worked at a place for X number of years when, in reality, they have merely done one year of work five times. Life and the "age" that goes with it are the same thing. It's what you did with the time that accrued to your "age" that is important. Not the "age" itself.

Very well said!! :thumb:

Davehall380
20th Sep 2009, 17:52
23 in two months, and uni finished. Sigh.

Nothke
20th Sep 2009, 18:10
Hm, I started playing Thief The Dark Project when I was 9. Its so bad kids these days don't know what is a good game. They just play stupid modern-warfare-like games because they are "COOL"!!!

(oh my god. I sound like my father when talking about the 70s films)

suewan
21st Sep 2009, 11:39
I am thankful to be 43. I don't have a problem with that.

Quad
21st Sep 2009, 14:31
33 still. But indeed... where did the last 10 years go to ? I do admire the [20-26] aged people who loved TDP and TMA but didn't smile at TDS. It means that YOUNG people do know their stuff. Those 2 first games must have left some deep impressions.... I salute you.

13LACK13ISHOP
21st Sep 2009, 19:25
14.15 soon. I first played theif 1 a while back now. Cannot remember how old I was when I first played it. Seems like I am the youngest here.

geler7
17th Feb 2011, 21:21
I'm 13, going to be 14 on 28 of February 2011. And i only played Thief Deadly Shadows because I kinda have a phobia for old graphics(they freak me out...they remind me of the viruses from Dexter's Laboratory, Courage the Cowardly Dog). But TDS was really fun! I played it A LOT OF TIMES!!
*psst*and don't tell anyone, but i've been playing tds since like 1st grade!...oh, and been playing diablo 2 since i was 4 and something(you know, those graphics are not so scary...but there's the high res edition.)

xDarknessFallsx
18th Feb 2011, 05:45
--

Tryst
18th Feb 2011, 10:11
Time is the enemy who counts off the years.
Time is the villain whom everyone fears.
Time is the medium that causes the strife.
But when the bell tolls, make peace with your life.

Off the top of my head, not good but it says what we all feel.

51 beginning of December. Unfortunately, my brain and my body are in disagreement about my age. My body says time to slow down but my brain keeps thinking it's time to party. I still shock a few teenage shoplifters who think they can outrun an old man though and it's fun to see the look on their faces when I grab them while running at full tilt.

Shadow Blade
18th Feb 2011, 17:17
Im 19 turning 20 this October :D

ChristheThief
18th Feb 2011, 19:15
10-20

16 to be precise.

theBlackman
19th Feb 2011, 01:34
Time is the enemy who counts off the years.
Time is the villain whom everyone fears.
Time is the medium that causes the strife.
But when the bell tolls, make peace with your life.

Off the top of my head, not good but it says what we all feel.

51 beginning of December. Unfortunately, my brain and my body are in disagreement about my age. My body says time to slow down but my brain keeps thinking it's time to party. I still shock a few teenage shoplifters who think they can outrun an old man though and it's fun to see the look on their faces when I grab them while running at full tilt.

Good poem, and you still have a few more miles left on you.

kamilavalamp
19th Feb 2011, 17:16
1993 born and raised in a time when the world went to hell and standing up to bullies got you kicked out of school and sent to jail

i still kicked their asses and then kicked the asses of the school principals that defended them and i regret nothing

i loved thief since TDP came out and got it the same day it came out

all i want now out of life is to see thief 4 not come out screwed up like the aborted inbred thief 3 was

Caranfin
19th Feb 2011, 17:23
Hey thanks for telling us about you beating up people. I'm sure that was necessary.

Shorono
21st Feb 2011, 01:30
I first played TDP and for that im happy.

MikeHammer
25th Feb 2011, 08:52
I'm seventy and I'm the age that FINANCED the game and choose and bought it for the kids to run on MY $6000 486DX computer with a huge 21 inch screen ($1995) that they couldn't afford back then... now we old farts are impotent and have to deal with games that feature modern warfare, splashing bodyparts, chat, facebook and multiplayer.

esme
26th Feb 2011, 14:34
I'm 52 and still have a 486DX somewhere .... I just can't remember where I left it :hmm:

.... actually I still have a 386 somewhere

Gabriel
26th Feb 2011, 15:00
Hehe, my first computer was a 386 DX, its case was huge and heavy, it featured 4 MB of RAM, a 200 MB (I believe) HDD and a 13 inch screen and ran MSDOS and Windows 3.11. Also, it had a Turbo button - yeaaahhh! :cool:

Ah, that takes me back...:D

JacktheBox
8th Mar 2011, 02:21
This thread is strangely recognizable, how come there hasn't been a merge?