PDA

View Full Version : Garrett'isms! Your favorite in-mission quotes.

Corvin25
28th May 2009, 13:16
From any mission in any game. Everybody loves the little things that Garrett says during a mission.

They can be subtle hints or warnings to the player... "It's a long way down..." "Agh... Clanky metal grating. I better tread softly." "I have a bad feeling about this..."

They can let you know you have completed your goal or at least found out where you're supposed to be... "So this is the lost city. It's not lost no more!" "Time to take my new sword and get out of this crazy place."

They can be comments to just lighten the mood or comment on a strange situation... "Don't mind me, ladies! I'm just passing through. " "Well since I'm in here, I might as well pick up something for myself!"

What I'd like to see is more of these little Garrett'isms in Thief 4. In a sense, they have to somehow "agree" with the player when we see something unusual.One would think that total silence from the player character woudl make the game more immersive, but a simple "What the hell..." or "Well, you don't see THAT every day" actually HELPS to immerse us in the game, surprisingly. It gives us a subtle reassurance that we should be feeling a certain way.

So what are everyone's favorite "Garrett'isms?" Remember, these are IN MISSION, not in cutscenes.

Keeper_Riff
28th May 2009, 13:22
"Caaaaareful…"

Corvin25
28th May 2009, 14:03
"Caaaaareful…"

Tightrope walking scares me. :(

Jilly The Taffer
28th May 2009, 14:05
"It's a throne room. How pretentious can you get?" His very first I believe :D

"Tombs with piped-in music. How classy." This lifted my spirits in that horrible place.

WhatsHisFace
28th May 2009, 15:59
"A secret room... Always my favorite room in the house."

KSingh77
28th May 2009, 16:34
It's not much but it's home.

Platinumoxicity
28th May 2009, 17:16
Some of the best are among the unused lines, such as:

"Huh, just what the world needs, more e-mail."
"What the hell is a taffer, anyway?"
"Nighty-night!"
"I love it when money falls into my lap."
"If I keep going up I'm gonna run out of building."
"Nice view. Hope the dead appreciate it."
"Time to... Raid some Tombs. ;) "
"All you other demon things, you could just... Stay home now."
"Somebody light a match."
"I hate modern trends."
"I think Bafford's got too many bats in his Belfry."
"I'd call that a bug."

Myth
28th May 2009, 17:55
"It's a throne room. How pretentious can you get?" His very first I believe
"Inside at last." Was his very first. And probably my favorite.

TheJoe
28th May 2009, 20:23
I love "Haha! It's a throne room... How pretentious can you get?" <-- The very best.

hexhunter
29th May 2009, 00:38
Some TDS quotes:

"The Jacknall's Paw. Guess he's not using it any longer."
"Giant rats. Great."
"This one must be hers. It’s still warm. Great...."
"Never trust a talking rock. Someone could lose an eye."
"Tell me that statue didn’t just move...."
"So that's the famous Garrett, huh? Guess he's not as good looking as I'd heard."
"Keepers. I had a hunch they'd turn up eventually. There's only one reason they would contact me like this...and it's not good."
"I thought the Keepers were supposed to keep the peace...or at least observe the lack of it. They're not doing their job. So...what are they doing?"
"Climbing gloves...I've always wanted a pair of these."
garrett: gar1504: How many times am I going to steal this thing?
garrett: gar1505: Got it...again. Whatever it is....

There aren't as many funny ones as in TMA...

veganMalcontent
29th May 2009, 01:54
"Time to take my new sword and get out of this crazy place."

That's the one. I've always loved that line. And his delivery was perfect.

kin
29th May 2009, 04:30
"Ohhh yeah, he is gone"

ToMegaTherion
29th May 2009, 09:11
I have a random recollection of his saying "Anybody... home?" at some point, but I have no idea where and it is beginning to annoy me. Anyone know where this is from or whether I've just made it up?

The Cowboy
29th May 2009, 09:19
I have a random recollection of his saying "Anybody... home?" at some point, but I have no idea where and it is beginning to annoy me. Anyone know where this is from or whether I've just made it up?

TDP, The lost city

My favourite Garret quote is "Lets not try that again"

Jilly The Taffer
29th May 2009, 13:02
"Inside at last." Was his very first. And probably my favorite.

:mad2:

Ah, yes, you are very right. Man, how did I miss that!? :lol:

ToMegaTherion
29th May 2009, 13:38
Well, if you play like a real thief and hack your way through the front door then I don't think you hear that one :D

"What happened here... and where are all the Hammerites?" You really need to ask that?

I also liked "I can't stay underwater too long, or I'll drown", mainly for the way it was spoken as if he was trying to do it without breathing, even though he was under water at the time and so couldn't speak anyway.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th May 2009, 14:03
"Caaaaareful…"

I've always loved that one! :cool:

Corvin25
29th May 2009, 15:34
(kitchen full of food)

"I wonder if I have time to stop for a snack?"

Myth
29th May 2009, 16:26
Well, if you play like a real thief and hack your way through the front door then I don't think you hear that one you can kill the three guards at the front gate but you can't open it from the outside (i think).

HellionKal
29th May 2009, 16:28
"I wonder if he reads them or if it's just for show"

Plus all the quotes mentioned above from the first mission of TDP.

nsider2
29th May 2009, 16:40
I always liked:

"I wonder if he reads them or if it's just for show..."

TDP first mission in the library

Jilly The Taffer
29th May 2009, 16:45
(kitchen full of food)

"I wonder if I have time to stop for a snack?"

Indeed, he could do that in DP and MA, he could consume whole deer legs.

Shame he accquired an eating disorder in DS.

you can kill the three guards at the front gate but you can't open it from the outside (i think).

And indeed you can my friend ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDdBklBSjks

Direlord
29th May 2009, 18:30
"Ohhh yeah, he is gone"

If this is the one i'm thinking of it was always one of my favorites.

for this one

This one must be hers. It’s still warm. Great...."

Where was that from specifically? I can't place it at all.

DanielOcean
29th May 2009, 20:41
If this is the one i'm thinking of it was always one of my favorites.

for this one

This one must be hers. It’s still warm. Great...."

Where was that from specifically? I can't place it at all.

TDS: Shalebridge Cradle... ;)

I can't find the english expression for the german quote, so here it is in german:

TMA: gar0703: Einige Menschen in dieser Stadt sind reicher, als ihnen gut tut. Naja. Zum Glück haben sie ja mich.

TMA: gar1301: Ahh, der Morgennebel. Alle ehrbaren Bürger schlummern sanft in ihren Betten. Nur ehrlose Typen wie ich müssen um diese Zeit arbeiten...

Thieffanman
30th May 2009, 00:37
What I'd like to see is more of these little Garrett'isms in Thief 4. In a sense, they have to somehow "agree" with the player when we see something unusual.One would think that total silence from the player character woudl make the game more immersive, but a simple "What the hell..." or "Well, you don't see THAT every day" actually HELPS to immerse us in the game, surprisingly. It gives us a subtle reassurance that we should be feeling a certain way.

Agreed! Those snide little comments help give the character of Garrett depth, and insight into what he's thinking/ how he's feeling during a mission. I look forward to more comments and witticisms in Thief 4 :).

So what are everyone's favorite "Garrett'isms?" Remember, these are IN MISSION, not in cutscenes.

Nuts. The cutscenes have some good dialogue. :) I remember something about "How many more times do I have to steal this thing?" from TDS, but I can't remember exactly where-- I think it had to do with one of the sentients.

--Thieffanman

BlooferLady
30th May 2009, 00:40
I can't find the english expression for the german quote, so here it is in german:

TMA: gar0703: Einige Menschen in dieser Stadt sind reicher, als ihnen gut tut. Naja. Zum Glück haben sie ja mich.

TMA: gar1301: Ahh, der Morgennebel. Alle ehrbaren Bürger schlummern sanft in ihren Betten. Nur ehrlose Typen wie ich müssen um diese Zeit arbeiten...

I recognize these... The first goes like this in English:
From the bank: "Some people in this city are too rich for their own good. Huh. Lucky they have me to help them out." I know the second one too, but I can't think of the exact wording.

A couple of my favs:
I love it when Garrett echoes my sentiments exactly. F'rinstance, after I went down the ice-slope (screaming the whole way) in the maw for the first time, I shouted to my friend who was watching "I do NOT want to do that again!" and then Garrett pipes up: "Lets not try that again..."

Although I love when you spin the wheel on Markham's Isle, and the entire floor moves: "What the...?!?!?!" Yes, you can hear the alternating exclamation points and question marks. He so rarely sounds truly surprised.

Aside from Garrett's quotes, I don't think I realized how many very funny lines there are in these games. Some of these I would never have heard if not for my roommate. She is not so good at the sneaking around, so sometimes she gets to hear amusing things from people giving chase. Like Lady Elisabeth after you steal the bloodline opal. "Give it to me, give it to me, give it to me NOW!" Woah girl, easy there, here's a bucket of ice water. :)

I've never heard some of these before, can we post where you hear these? Please?

BlooferLady
30th May 2009, 00:59
"How many more times do I have to steal this thing?
The Builder's chalice, in the hag's lair.

TafferPants
30th May 2009, 02:53
(Not used in Game..at least to my knowlege)

"Emergency Stop......let's see what happens"
Why do I get this image of Garrett grinning like a madman as he prepares to push a big red no no button?

MasterTaffer
30th May 2009, 02:57
It's froma briefing rather than in game, but I've always liked this one:

"I realize breaking into Shoelsgate is like looking down a burrick's mouth with a lit match..."

I've found myself using that one in real life, too. Only to have the person i'm engaged in conversation with to stare blankly at me.

BlooferLady
30th May 2009, 04:16
^ I love it when you realize that you randomly inserted a Garretism into normal conversation! I was talking with a friend about a movie, can't remember what, and one character was a religious zealot, and the other was a cut-throat businessman. We were talking about which character we would prefer to have to associate with, and I said, without thinkning, "the businessman. Fanatics make unreliable friends." And then I burst out laughing for about 5 minutes, to my friend's confusion.

I have to say, I think Garrett says either "It's a long way down" or "It's a long way up" a total of at least 10 times in the first two games. I'm wondering if it's the same soundbyte reused over and over.

Jilly The Taffer
30th May 2009, 12:17
"I realize breaking into Shoelsgate is like looking down a burrick's mouth with a lit match..."

:lmao: I like that one also.

GmanPro
30th May 2009, 20:50
"ahhhh, my favorite year"

crazy_bex
30th May 2009, 22:19
Lol I love Garrett's "I dont give one" attitude to everything, how he seems to act nonbothered to everyone. I cant think of specific quotes here but the way he reacts in these situtations is just funny.

I did like it when Garrett said "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" in the pirate ship in Thief 2, and "ooh a back door". I also like it when instead of being terrified by enemies he gives them witty slack instead. Classic.

namron
31st May 2009, 07:24
the best and on of his earliest "t's a throne room... How pretentious can you get?"

i also did like "Time to take my new sword and get out of this crazy place."

WVI
31st May 2009, 14:49
"Got it. Again. Whatever it is."

Hypevosa
5th Jun 2009, 02:04
It's not a garrett'ism, but I love the back and forth between the Lady VanVernon's guards and Lord Willey's in Life of the Party.

"Archeologist sounds so much more dignified than thief..." in kidnapped after picking up a tapestry in a tomb.

Rachie
5th Jun 2009, 05:07
"Got it. Again. Whatever it is."

This is mine. :D

And also one he says in the briefing of the Cradle:

"If there's a way to cram more misery into one building's history, I can't think of it."

And then in debriefing:

"Well, I'm finally out of that.....place."

BG_HHaunt
9th Jul 2009, 12:42
I liked when Garrett said "Yeah Karras keep talking" or something like that in Soulforge.
Also that "Some people in this city are too rich for their own good.Lucky they have me to give them a hand." and "This is just what I was looking for,now I've got a real plan."

TheEye
15th Jul 2009, 17:40
"Plus I picked up a little something for myself. Not really my style in hats, but..." - The sunken citadel
"Nothing like mixing in society" - training mission
sorry but i had to mention these - they are awesome... anyway, in game:
:Uh, so that's the secret ingredient"
"It's not much but it's home"

Danie1
17th Jul 2009, 04:09
How about "I think it's about time I leave...don't want to wear out my welcome." :)

Fatherwoodsie
17th Jul 2009, 06:47
seize thy hidings cravin!!

jtr7
17th Jul 2009, 22:46

Fatherwoodsie
18th Jul 2009, 06:12
"its a looong way down"

BG_HHaunt
22nd Jul 2009, 21:12
"So this is the lost city,well,it's lost no more."

KittyCatAngel
22nd Jul 2009, 21:37
In "Casing the Joint" or "Masks" (whichever you decide to find the correspondance in), Garrett says something like:
"Ash, you are a bastard."

Dunno why I like it, I guess it just kind of showed a more sympathetic side to Garrett.

He also says something about the bodies he finds in the library wall and them getting lost in ten feet of passage :D Loved that one.

jtr7
22nd Jul 2009, 23:32

agrash
23rd Jul 2009, 20:33
TDS, when stumbling upon the fake garret conversation:
"So that's the famous Garrett, huh? Guess he's not as good looking as I'd heard."
Somehow this puts a smile on my face everytime i hear it

LOTP:
"No need for alarm, Ladies, just passing through."
When he said that during the demomission a couple of years back, i've allready killed those 2 (?) womans from a distance with a broadhead ^^

TheWoodsieLord
24th Jul 2009, 06:59

Translated, the first is:
Some people in this city are too rich for their own good. Lucky they have me to give them a hand. (Said during the First Bank and Trust mission in TMA)

And the second:
Ahh, early morning mist. All respectable people should be in bed now. Time for us disreputable types to get the work.

My personal favorite is : "Tell you what. You Keepers can plant a few shrubs about town and I'll take care of me."

I also like the moment when in TDS, Orland tells Garrett that he is not to steal from the keepers, and in the and says "Is that clear?", and Garrett responds: "Perfectly. Maybe you should translate for Caduca."

Secondary
1st Sep 2009, 19:10
"poisons, better wash my hands when I get out of here."
from the Rutherford castle mission

Davehall380
1st Sep 2009, 19:35
"I cant stay under water to long, or ill drown" - Garrett spots the obvious

Pieter888
1st Sep 2009, 21:11
Personally I like it every time when Garrett makes a comment. Thief 4 would be dull without them.

Davehall380
1st Sep 2009, 22:57
Assuming Thief 4 is based on Garrett . . . :-)

Pieter888
2nd Sep 2009, 18:16
That would make it even more dull now wouldn't it?

Davehall380
3rd Sep 2009, 11:35
Very true! I was always slightly desturbed by the noises that Garrett made when getting hurt

Cetus Amicus
4th Sep 2009, 11:40
I like this line from TMA mission 3 "Framed" when Garrett finds a secret passage behind Truarts fireplace (linking to the training room) it's always stuck in my head.
"Not so secret anymore- is it?"
This next one is one of my favourites, I'm pretty sure it's at the begining of the 'Life of the Party' mission.
"The city looks almost bearable from up here."

jtr7
4th Sep 2009, 22:35
Yep!

His quips are short yet speak volumes. Decent writing and Mr. Russell's great delivery. I wonder if he was ever allowed to ad lib, and I wonder how many takes he did for Eric et al to choose the ones we hear?

FerrPirate
5th Sep 2009, 14:08
I remembered! One of my favorite dialog between guards.. about zombies on the ship. "Idiot! Wet or dry - zombie's dont care!"))) I always stand to listen it)

matdmcc2
6th Sep 2009, 03:09
TDS: Shalebridge Cradle... ;)

Ok, the first one means (and my German may be rusty): "A few people in this city are too rich for their own good. Oh well. Luckily they have me"

And the second: "Ah, the morning prayers. All the respectable citizens are sleeping quietly in their beds. Only the dishonorable types like me have to work at this time"

Hopefully I made my Deutsch Prof. proud:scratch:

jtr7
6th Sep 2009, 03:40
Wow, That has some differences, but the point is the same.

gar0703: "Some people in this city are too rich for their own good. Lucky they have me to give them a hand."

gar1301: "Ah, early morning mist. All respectable people should be in bed now. Time for us disreputable types to get to work."

The liberties the translators took baffle me sometimes with how far they deviate. Those are mild examples.

Vae
6th Sep 2009, 10:42
"Inside at last".
"Since I'm in here, I might as well pick up something for myself".
"It's a long way down".

Secondary
6th Sep 2009, 22:20
The liberties the translators took baffle me sometimes with how far they deviate. Those are mild examples.

i know, i work at a non profit operation that teaches Hispanic immigrants how to speak english. sometimes im forced to really stray from the original context. it has alot to do with how idiom and grammer differ between languages.

for instance if i say "dont cry wolf" to you, you know im telling you not to tease me, becuase when something does happen, i wont pay you any mind

but in another language, the parable of the boy who cried wolf might not exist. so i ahve two choices when translating. i can tell you the entire parable in a different language to explain the origins of my expression. OR i can simply translate "dont cry wolf" into "dont raise false alarm", it bleaches most of the original context but its effectual and a time saver.

translators who work on a game as rich in context and idion as Thief is must have alot of problems to work with. especially because alot of the expression the characters use are grounded in slang that was created specifically for the game, it has no ancestry in any factual language. if i had to try and translate Thief into Spanish for one of my students, id be prematurely grey before the end:D

Nephthys
6th Sep 2009, 22:57

I love Garrett's attitude. It's something you don't come across in video games often. He's quiet, but snide when he says something. It makes for the perfect character!

I'm playing through TMA again and I got the last piece of loot in Evesdropping in the middle of the nave of the cathedral, and just like I was thinking to myself, Garrett said "Well, time to go." And all I could think was "Yup." And strolled on out.

things like that really help with trying to engage the player into the story.
Not to say Gordon Freeman should have been saying "Hoshi- An alien!" and stuff like that.
It depends on the game and character, of course :B

SlyPT
6th Sep 2009, 22:58
By the way, who is the voice actor for Garrett? It's the same person in all three games isn't it?

I always liked the one at the beginning of "Life of the party".
"Hey, the city looks almost bearable from up here".

jtr7
7th Sep 2009, 04:38
Whoa! SlyPT, meet Stephen Russell: Voice of Garrett, Benny/Dumb Guard, Karras, elder Hammerite, civilian/servants, Raoul the Hermit...

matdmcc2
8th Sep 2009, 18:32
gar1301: "Ah, early morning mist. All respectable people should be in bed now. Time for us disreputable types to get to work."

I just checked again for the term Morgennebel, I was wrong on that one, it is mist, I must have looked at the wrong word in my dictionary. Back to intro to Deutsch :(

Davehall380
8th Sep 2009, 19:24
"It's a long way down".

Its a long way up!

Davehall380
8th Sep 2009, 19:25
Raoul the Hermit...

"I lady valerias, am so, so sad . . . because the thing (?) that made me glad is gone!"
"Youll need a key, that too you can get from me"

jtr7
9th Sep 2009, 02:55
Here's one of many story patterns, or leitmotifs (Thanks, DJ Riff):

T1/TG: garm0409: "It's a long way down."

T2: gar1406: "It’s a long way up."

T3: gar0701: "It’s a long way. But down is always easier than up."

T1/TG: garm0310: "I have a bad feeling about this..."

T2: Gar045: "I have a bad feeling about this."

T3: br11: "Something about that job has left me with a bad feeling..."

Ice1019
13th Sep 2009, 06:14
I've always equated feelings with getting caught. Both get in the way of my money.

SlyPT
13th Sep 2009, 18:21
I've always equated feelings with getting caught. Both get in the way of my money.

That's a brilliant one. It's on the Framed! mission briefing I think.

Platinumoxicity
13th Sep 2009, 19:14
That's a brilliant one. It's on the Framed! mission briefing I think.

"Running Interference" -briefing. ;)

jtr7
14th Sep 2009, 04:49
From the Thief Gold Goodies folder:

"Heh. Just what the world needs... more email!

Riffing on:
garm0306: "Heh. Just what the world needs... more Hammers!"

Teasza
14th Sep 2009, 21:02
"Don't mind me, ladies! I'm just passing through."
This one cracks me up every time I hear it.

Resetti's Replicas
25th Sep 2009, 20:13
"I take my payments in cash, not brandy"

I don't know if that's verbatim, but it's from DP, after Garett's brought back the sword, and gets offered something to drink.

jtr7
25th Sep 2009, 23:43
Garrett: "I prefer my payment in cash, not liquor, Mister—uhh..."

lefty
27th Sep 2009, 05:04
"creepy" in the lost city I believe, looking at a statue in a pool of lava.

and garret's quips over karras' monologue in the last mission in T2, basically "yeah, yeah" while trying to find his tower controls always makes me laugh.

Psychomorph
3rd Oct 2009, 22:32
I do not exactly remember the quote, but after realizing that Constantine is the Trickster, Garrett was saying something along the lines of: "The Trickster exists?! If so, what is the truth about The Builder?".

As said, not exact quote, maybe someone can help out to specify. I though that was so cool, kinda shows Garrett's intellect, kinda.

Psychomorph
3rd Oct 2009, 23:42
Haha, another quote, not from Garrett though. The one guy in the casino was annoyed by a woman and said to himself: "May the Trickster get you in the dark". After that I was thinking the same line whenever I was annoyed by someone, tehehe.

jtr7
4th Oct 2009, 03:26
I do not exactly remember the quote, but after realizing that Constantine is the Trickster, Garrett was saying something along the lines of: "The Trickster exists?! If so, what is the truth about The Builder?".

As said, not exact quote, maybe someone can help out to specify. I though that was so cool, kinda shows Garrett's intellect, kinda.

"The Trickster is real after all. I don't think anyone but those crazy Hammers really believed in the old gods."

Chilliwack
29th Mar 2013, 05:25
As happy as I am to see all the new information, as well as the little teaser, I can't help but wonder... Shouldn't Garrett's catchphrase be something a little more ambiguous?

"What is yours... can be mine."

By simply adding the "can be" to the sentence, it makes Garrett seem much more formidable in terms of storytelling. It implies that if you crossed him, or if he simply thought you were a little too rich for your own good... that he could choose to rob you blind, and take your prized possessions. The point is, he's choosing his own path. He's CHOOSING. What is yours CAN be his, if he so wished it. He'll keep to himself, but he's not one to be trifled with.

Also, the short pause (...) adds some more emphasis on the next part. It focuses the audience on his intent.

"What's yours is mine."

I dunno, it just kinda reminds me of those Sesame Street cartoons about how "sharing is nice" or something. "What's mine is yours, what's yours is mine," you know.

On the other side of the spectrum, it seems to imply that Garrett is more of a crime lord or publicly powerful figure, like the City Wardens. It just seems a little off to me. It implies that he has an interest in all possessions, not just those with monetary value.

It's the catch phrase of a hoarder, not a thief.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Lmaoboat
29th Mar 2013, 05:30
=I'm waiting for Theif 5 where the catchphrase will explore the future perfect progressive tense with, "What's yours, at later date, will have been mine -- up until the point I sold it to a fence."

MasterTaffer
29th Mar 2013, 05:51
While I think there can be a semantic argument for one or the other, I think you squeezed a stone trying to draw blood when you came up with the presumed meaning of "What's yours is mine" The two phrases are being used functionally identical here.

It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

Chilliwack
29th Mar 2013, 06:07
While I think there can be a semantic argument for one or the other, I think you squeezed a stone trying to draw blood when you came up with the presumed meaning of "What's yours is mine" The two phrases are being used functionally identical here.

It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps so. It is just the trailer line after all. But I still think "What's yours CAN be mine" seems a little more poetic, and better suited to someone like Garrett. "What's yours IS mine" sort of implies that he already has it. There's no anticipation or suspense.

MasterTaffer
29th Mar 2013, 06:10
Perhaps so. It is just the trailer line after all. But I still think "What's yours CAN be mine" seems a little more poetic, and better suited to someone like Garrett. "What's yours IS mine" sort of implies that he already has it. There's no anticipation or suspense.

Or, it implies he's so confident in his skills as a master thief that it might as well already be in his possession.

Chilliwack
29th Mar 2013, 06:14
Or, it implies he's so confident in his skills as a master thief that it might as well already be in his possession.

It could also imply that he's stealing more out of obligation or compulsion. But Garrett's never been one to simply do things on instinct. It's always about the money and a refined plan.

I just think that the original version ("can") kind of lends to his thought process. There may be some treasures that he doesn't WANT to be his. If someone ended up procuring The Eye again, I have a feeling he might be hesitant to take it. Let the foolish nobleman keep that accursed thing.

MasterTaffer
29th Mar 2013, 06:16
It could also imply that he's stealing more out of obligation or compulsion.

There's nothing in the phrase I see that would lead to such an innerpretation. It speaks of confidence in his own abilities, not this "GOTTA HAVE IT ALL" mentality you're claiming.

xDarknessFallsx
29th Mar 2013, 06:24
I still am a proponent of "What is yours will be mine." Have been since the old ISA forum and the TDS catchprase came out where they used an unimpactful "can be mine" as the climax phrase in their trailer. "Shall be" would be alright; "is" works for me, too.

((Edit: I just changed my mind. "What's yours is mine" is what I like since it's a standalone phrase. It works for me. If it was like the TDS video with a few lead-in phrases, then 'will be' is what I'd want. As a standalone phrase, "What is yours will be mine" sounds weird.))

You're telling me, Chilliwack, that if you enter a room and see a golden goblet and a few gold coins, you're going to leave some of it there? That is some willpower... :)

Past discussions again:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1871780
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=121868

And the old TDS trailer for reference, where we hear Garrett saying a similar line (1:20 mark): http://youtu.be/vPzd8UcGs6E

Chilliwack
29th Mar 2013, 06:24
There's nothing in the phrase I see that would lead to such an innerpretation. It speaks of confidence in his own abilities, not this "GOTTA HAVE IT ALL" mentality you're claiming.

... I do believe this is the most civil conversation we've ever had! :lol:

But again. I have to ask the question. If you COULD have it all.. would you WANT to have it all?

But getting away from that, and thinking from a purely rhythmic standpoint, "Whats is yours can be mine" just sounds a bit more lyrical than "What's yours is mine," which seems more like a casual statement.

Say each out loud to yourself in real life.

"What's yours is mine."
"What is yours, can be mine."

The second one just sounds a bit more lyrical. The first one seems a bit hasty.

I still am a proponent of "What is yours will be mine." Have been since the old ISA forum and the TDS catchprase came out where they used an unimpactful "can be mine" as the climax phrase in their trailer.

"Shall be" would be alright; "is" works for me, too.

You're telling me, Chilliwack, that if you enter a room and see a golden goblet and a few gold coins, you're going to leave some of it there? That is some willpower... :)

Yeah, "will be mine" adds that lyrical quality too. I think it might be the lack of syllables that bugs me about Garrett's new catchphrase.

... And of course Garrett will take it all if he's there for that exact reason. ;) But he's not going to rob someone "just because." He always seems to want something special. Whether it's a sapphire vase, or a cloudstone scepter, or an ancient horn. Even when he just needs some "quick cash," he has a specific goal in mind, like misdirecting a shipment of valuables to his fence.

MasterTaffer
29th Mar 2013, 06:30
The lyrical point I’ll give you, yes. The former point I disagree with you. We already know from the interview with Steve Gallagher that Garrett takes his reputation very seriously; he has standards he wishes to maintain. This should reflect in how the phrase is interpreted. Characterization is important; you can’t analyze what someone says in a vacuum as the person themselves gives context to what is being said. A master thief is not synonymous with a hoarder, so interpreting the phrase as such is a misnomer.

Chilliwack
29th Mar 2013, 06:40
The lyrical point I’ll give you, yes. The former point I disagree with you. We already know from the interview with Steve Gallagher that Garrett takes his reputation very seriously; he has standards he wishes to maintain. This should reflect in how the phrase is interpreted. Characterization is important; you can’t analyze what someone says in a vacuum as the person themselves gives context to what is being said. A master thief is not synonymous with a hoarder, so interpreting the phrase as such is a misnomer.

Well I'm glad we're sprechen-sie the same lingidy! :nut:

Fine, think of the sentiment what you wish. :P

But really, even if they don't change it, I do think that "What's yours is mine" seems to be a little overly hasty and casual for a narrative that's supposed to be compelling and methodical.

It would be like Gandalf telling the Balrog "You won't pass" instead of "You shall not pass."

xDarknessFallsx
29th Mar 2013, 06:45
Funny last sentence there :)

The lyric quality is one thing I really like about will be and shall be, too. Not sure I can really hear Garrett saying, "shall be" there, though.

MasterTaffer
29th Mar 2013, 06:47
Well I'm glad we're sprechen-sie the same lingidy! :nut:

Fine, think of the sentiment what you wish. :P

But really, even if they don't change it, I do think that "What's yours is mine" seems to be a little overly hasty and casual for a narrative that's supposed to be compelling and methodical.

It would be like Gandalf telling the Balrog "You won't pass" instead of "You shall not pass."

Or like Garrett saying "So this is the Lost City. Well it ain't lost no more..." instead of "Well it is not lost anymore..."

Oh, wait, he did say the former Thief 1... ;)

windwalker
29th Mar 2013, 06:54
"Whats yours is mine" is actually pretty good, solid. "Can be mine" is very widely open to high probabilities. Garrett just says "Everything is mine." and I like it.

I don't have extremely high hopes, I learnt my lessons well, though I only wish they could come up with something between originals and dishonored, and has a rather lengthy campaign. And with modding / level editing support...

Chilliwack
29th Mar 2013, 06:58
Or like Garrett saying "So this is the Lost City. Well it ain't lost no more..." instead of "Well it is not lost anymore..."

Oh, wait, he did say the former Thief 1... ;)

But it's not his catch phrase, or the tag line for a trailer, is it? ;)

Also, "It's not lost no more." I have a photographic memory for quotes. :cool:

MasterTaffer
29th Mar 2013, 07:20
But it's not his catch phrase, or the tag line for a trailer, is it? ;)

Also, "It's not lost no more." I have a photographic memory for quotes. :cool:

But it does establish that he has no problem using contractions.

Touche on the line, sir. However "eidetic memory" is the proper term as the "photo-" is a combination word form pertaining to visuals; not audio.

CaptainObvious
29th Mar 2013, 07:59
People like to complain about anything.

Maleficen
29th Mar 2013, 09:18
" Whats yours IS mine ... "

to quote finding nemo:

"Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine"

zcapp96
29th Mar 2013, 09:30
To me 'what's yours can be mine' would have a connotation that there are times when it cannot be and as he is a master thief that would be wrong! It would be like Gandalf saying 'You might not pass'!

Nightwynd
29th Mar 2013, 11:02
It would be like Gandalf saying 'You might not pass'!

lol! :D

"What is yours is mine" - to me it implicates that nothing is safe from Garrett. Though I'm pretty indifferent whether it actually is "can be" or "will be" or just "is". Everything goes.

xDarknessFallsx
29th Mar 2013, 12:11
I just changed my mind. "What's yours is mine" is what I like since it's a standalone phrase. It works for me. If it was like the TDS video with a few lead-in phrases, then 'will be' is what I'd want. As a standalone phrase, "What is yours will be mine" sounds weird.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Mar 2013, 20:03
People like to complain about anything.

Don't they just. At least it isn't infectious! :D

pokket
29th Mar 2013, 21:25
I wish there was a youtube video or something of all the lines Garrett says throughout the games. I would love that. As far as TMA goes as far as not as many memorable lines from Garrett, I think Karras actually outshines him anyway. Karras had the right amount of creepiness and humor. I loved it. Stephen Russell is a voice acting BAMF.

Chilliwack
29th Mar 2013, 23:16
Oh hey, our posts moved again. :P Garrett quotes, eh?

Well, since I'm in here, I might as well pick up something for myself.

My favorites would have to be the plaintive "Caaareful..." from the tightrope walking, and the patched version of TDP, when he takes the key from the drunken guard outside the outhouse.

"Heh. Could you possibly be any MORE helpful?"

Ape-Beast
30th Mar 2013, 02:41
It's hard to remember all of them since I'm mainly playing fan missions at the moment but here goes:

"Ooh yeah. He's gone." - Framed: Thief II TMA

"Housebreakers. How quaint." -Life of the Party: Thief II TMA

"Time to take my new sword and get out of this crazy place." TDP

pokket
31st Mar 2013, 00:05
This isn't an in-game quote, but I just got finished tricking the trickster in TDP and when Garrett says in the cutscene before the Maw mission, "I've never robbed a god before", is what I think sums up Thief and Garrett in general. Only the master thief could steal from a god, and not end up like a steampunk Prometheus.

And though not a Garrett quote, I truly love the last lines of TDP -
"I will tell them this; Nothing is changed. All is as it was written. The Trickster is dead. Beware the dawn of the metal age."

That and the sexy industrial music during that cutscene just gets your blood pumping, ya know?

janiashvili
31st Mar 2013, 10:10
This isn't an in-game quote, but I just got finished tricking the trickster in TDP and when Garrett says in the cutscene before the Maw mission, "I've never robbed a god before", is what I think sums up Thief and Garrett in general. Only the master thief could steal from a god, and not end up like a steampunk Prometheus.

And though not a Garrett quote, I truly love the last lines of TDP -
"I will tell them this; Nothing is changed. All is as it was written. The Trickster is dead. Beware the dawn of the metal age."

That and the sexy industrial music during that cutscene just gets your blood pumping, ya know?

yeah, sexy industrial music is an of many great parts of overall thief experience

CaptainObvious
31st Mar 2013, 15:20
I'd say Thief music is more Dark Ambient (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxuvy-_F8iw) than industrial.

pokket
31st Mar 2013, 15:33
I'd say Thief music is more Dark Ambient (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxuvy-_F8iw) than industrial.

It's a mixture of both, I think. But yeah, more on the dark ambient/drone side than industrial. Just the one cutscene I'm talking about had industrial music in it.

Chilliwack
31st Mar 2013, 22:32

Just what I need. More dark ambient soundtracks.

.... Not being sarcastic. I like dark ambience. :lol:

SiameseCat
5th May 2013, 13:16
To Orland: "You called me here to remind me you're in charge? Your job must not keep you very busy."
I've actually used something like that at work once.

Reading the guest book at the start of TDS: "Lord Julian". Wouldn't do for people to think he was just Julian."

"I've always equated feelings with getting caught. It always gets in the way of my money." Minus the literal money aspect, there's a lot of truth in that - when people refuse to put mind over matter, things can go badly wrong.

Garrett's one-liners remind me of another favourite character, detective Lennie Briscoe in L&O. Initially the actor Jerry Orbach inserted them himself spontaneously. Over time it was made part of the character because it fitted so well. I'm curious how much input Stephen Russell had. He says things with such natural conviction.

drunken taffer
5th May 2013, 13:39
TDP-Inside at last

xAcerbusx
5th May 2013, 13:52
I wish there was a youtube video or something of all the lines Garrett says throughout the games. I would love that. As far as TMA goes as far as not as many memorable lines from Garrett, I think Karras actually outshines him anyway. Karras had the right amount of creepiness and humor. I loved it. Stephen Russell is a voice acting BAMF.

Totally.
I still crack up when I accidentally get spotted in SoulForge, and Karras cackles, "Art thou not a thief? Then steal thyself away!"

Puntacular!

zhunt
5th May 2013, 13:57
ok, not a garrettism as such but one that is still awesome and simply one word.
when constantine says "compensation" and his voice and face changes.
it was at that point the first time i saw that that i was like WTF!!!!!!......... and wondered how or if i would survive!
game changing moment that i didnt see coming.
(and yeah, i could put all that in a spoiler tag but really, if you dont know what im talking about, then i think you may have wandered into this forum by mistake............ and no........... we cant offer you tips on how to steal your cousins pickup truck)