PDA

View Full Version : Hardware acceleration sound issues

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
25th May 2009, 23:36
I think this is a known issue, but I can't seem to find much on it. More importantly, I don't think there's a fix.

In Thief 1 and 2, when Hardware acceleration is enabled under the audio options, the sound is not right. I hear a faint static noise, footsteps are very quiet, and Garrett is VERY LOUD.

Sound only seems to sound right when I turn hardware acceleration off.

So here's what I want to know;

What am I missing out on without hardware acceleration? I'd hate to think I'm losing good echo effects and positional sound.

Is there a fix for this? Can I get hardware acceleration working properly?

I'm using a Razer Barracuda AC-1 sound card, which supports EAX 2.0

I have the exact same issue when using my usb cmedia sound and surround headphones.

Is hardware acceleration in Thief 1 and 2 broken for everybody?

edit. not sure what that 'Sensaura sound fix' is but could it work for me? I'll try it if I can find the files it speaks of. It seems to not really work from what I've read though.

edit2 . I'm not sure if I understand that sound fix. Am I supposed to put the downloaded a3d.dll into dllcache and system 32 folders? That's what I did and it doesn't seem to do anything, in fact it seems to have made everything but Garrett's voice quieter.

edit 3. I don't know if I need that eax3.exe file because I can switch eax on in the game. If I do need it to get that sound fix to work then I need help getting it as I can't find 'eax3.exe' . That thread would be a lot more helpful if it linked to those files it speaks of.