PDA

View Full Version : How do you want boss fights played out?

GR1NG0_SU4V3
23rd May 2009, 05:59
sorry if this has been discussed in a separate thread before,
but how do you want boss fights to be done?

Personally,
I'd love some MGS variations to it.
Each boss plays off of their skills and you can either exploit their weaknesses,
or go in head first (which doesn't always work.

For example I'd love for the bossfight with Firefly to be like the fight with The Fury from MGS3.

Your thoughts?

KillerCroc
23rd May 2009, 06:03
The battles are supposed to be like Zelda based, but I would prefer one where the villains have abilities like you do and hunt for you. I want the Scarecrow fight to be really scary, and I want Tweedledee and Tweedledum to be bouncy and all over the place, and Croc...has to be better than Bane's.

GR1NG0_SU4V3
23rd May 2009, 06:08
The battles are supposed to be like Zelda based, but I would prefer one where the villains have abilities like you do and hunt for you. I want the Scarecrow fight to be really scary, and I want Tweedledee and Tweedledum to be bouncy and all over the place, and Croc...has to be better than Bane's.

I hate to compare everything to MGS
:p
but it'd be really cool to have Scarecrow's fight like The Sorrow from MGS3,
only you're running down the halls, freaking out, and have to pretty much evade his little scare tactics until his fear toxin wears off, then fight him as normal.

EliteF50
23rd May 2009, 06:12
but it'd be really cool to have Scarecrow's fight like The Sorrow from MGS3,
only you're running down the halls, freaking out, and have to pretty much evade his little scare tactics until his fear toxin wears off, then fight him as normal.

I was just thinking that yesterday!

Lol.

GR1NG0_SU4V3
23rd May 2009, 06:15
I was just thinking that yesterday!

Lol.

Great minds think alike.
:thumb:

Argel319
23rd May 2009, 22:02
I hope you do more thinking in the boss battles rather than just button mashing.
Button mashing screws with my controller and is just plain boring.

For the Joker boss battle, I can only imagine something unfair 'cause the Joker sure as hell isn't a match for Batman's fighting skills, so perhaps Joker gas or a retarded amount of goons backing him up; making Batman have to fight the horde before he gets a punch at Joker.
Like what Bane did in Knightfall. Tired Batman out then bet the living bats outta him.

GR1NG0_SU4V3
23rd May 2009, 22:06
I hope you do more thinking in the boss battles rather than just button mashing.
Button mashing screws with my controller and is just plain boring.

For the Joker boss battle, I can only imagine something unfair 'cause the Joker sure as hell isn't a match for Batman's fighting skills, so perhaps Joker gas or a retarded amount of goons backing him up; making Batman have to fight the horde before he gets a punch at Joker.
Like what Bane did in Knightfall. Tired Batman out then bet the living bats outta him.

with all the work that is being done on this game,
I'm more than confident this won't be a button masher.
However, in general I HATE with a passion quicktime events.
(they seem like a cop out)
so if they are kept to a minimum (or not at all) all I'll be good.

DarkKnightDanny
23rd May 2009, 22:17
yea,think theyre gonna have their hands full on what to decide about the finale fight
hope they do it justice

Stazz
23rd May 2009, 22:51
They shouldn't all be in the same mold and should all fit with what the character does. I don't think anyone needs to be hopped up on Venom or anything other than Bane. Ivy's boss fight from what it looks like fits that well.
Hypothetically, just saying if these villains were in it:
Scarecrow- fear gas obviously, makes you hallucinate, which could make Scarecrow into a physically more dominating figure or one that you can't actually beat until you figure out how to break the hallucination cycle, after which he's just a weedy guy who takes a couple of blows to knock down
Clayface- Clayface is so...shifty that you can't really beat him down, so the purpose of the fight ought to be some kind of containment, like you freeze him or get him trapped in some tank. He could also morph into other characters (including Batman)
Two-Face-lots of firepower and goons, requiring a very tactical approach. Maybe beating him triggers a cutscene where he gets the upper hand anyway, but flips his coin to decide what to do and it judges that he let you go/turn himself in.
Harley Quinn-Hand to hand, where once you get enough hits, she flips away and you have to chase her to fight her again. Uses her mallet/giant gun on you
Riddler- a deathtrap puzzle-based area you have to escape from to get up to him
Hush- sorta like the Harley Quinn fight, but more confined
Bane- what I'd call a Rhino fight. Get up close and you're meat, so you have to trick him into charging into something to stun himself, which allows you to wear him down a bit. His attacks get more powerfull as you go along. Maybe to spice it up you have to trap/bury him under something, or you beat him by cutting off his venom supply once he's stunned.

Maybe you could come into the fight so exhausted the mechanics of it change, with batman moving more sluggishly so it's harder to get a hit in (think after the Collossus Battle in God of War 2 when Kratos is trying to attack Zeus, but less severe), until getting to a certain point triggers an "I AM BATMAN!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm6Rw_US5E) moment where he snaps out of it. Or the utility belt gets taken from you, leaving you with no equipment. Or the Joker has some other trick to deal with like saving hostages or defusing bombs. But it should all be about getting TO Joker, then chasing him until he gets to a dead end where you can give him a spectacular butt-whooping.

GR1NG0_SU4V3
24th May 2009, 00:57
They shouldn't all be in the same mould and should all fit with what the character does. I don't think anyone needs to be hopped up on Venom or anything other than Bane. Ivy's boss fight from what it looks like fits that well.
Hypothetically, just saying if these villains were in it:
Scarecrow- fear gas obviously, makes you hallucinate, which could make Scarecrow into a physically more dominating figure or one that you can't actually beat until you figure out how to break the hallucination cycle, after which he's just a weedy guy who takes a couple of blows to knock down
Clayface- Clayface is so...shifty that you can't really beat him down, so the purpose of the fight ought to be some kind of containment, like you freeze him or get him trapped in some tank. He could also morph into other characters (including Batman)
Two-Face-lots of firepower and goons, requiring a very tactical approach. Maybe beating him triggers a cutscene where he gets the upper hand anyway, but flips his coin to decide what to do and it judges that he let you go/turn himself in.
Harley Quinn-Hand to hand, where once you get enough hits, she flips away and you have to chase her to fight her again. Uses her mallet/giant gun on you
Riddler- a deathtrap puzzle-based area you have to escape from to get up to him
Hush- sorta like the Harley Quinn fight, but more confined
Bane- what I'd call a Rhino fight. Get up close and you're meat, so you have to trick him into charging into something to stun himself, which allows you to wear him down a bit. His attacks get more powerfull as you go along. Maybe to spice it up you have to trap/bury him under something, or you beat him by cutting off his venom supply once he's stunned.

Maybe you could come into the fight so exhausted the mechanics of it change, with batman moving more sluggishly so it's harder to get a hit in (think after the Collossus Battle in God of War 2 when Kratos is trying to attack Zeus, but less severe), until getting to a certain point triggers an "I AM BATMAN!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm6Rw_US5E) moment where he snaps out of it. Or the utility belt gets taken from you, leaving you with no equipment. Or the Joker has some other trick to deal with like saving hostages or defusing bombs. But it should all be about getting TO Joker, then chasing him until he gets to a dead end where you can give him a spectacular butt-whooping.

tl:dr

in all seriousness,
I know for a fact all the boss fights will be unique.
They seem to be doing justice to the Batman mythos,
and to ignore each character's strengths and weaknesses would be a big slap in the face.

DarkKnightDanny
24th May 2009, 10:44
hehe i too,call that kind of fight the rhino fight.
cant remember why though. due to spiderman two i think.

maybe a hide-and-seek fight with clay face would be quite good. then when he cant see you.you attack form behind(stealth fight)

Hush88
24th May 2009, 18:16
Something really ironic would be if you wind up beating Mr. Freeze by freezing him with his own freeze-gun or something like that.

The_Clown_Prince_Of_Crime
24th May 2009, 18:23
To form a truly great boss battle,you need to look no further than God of War 1 & 2 for inspiration.If they play out anything like those (Minus the gore of course) it will be immense

Zombie-Gamer
24th May 2009, 18:30
PSM3 magazine said that the Bane boss figth was the only thing about the game that thay where disapointed about because all you gotta do is Trick him in to running into walls and then when he's down pull out his venom tubes or throw batarangs at them

Hush88
24th May 2009, 18:34
That's sort of like the Berserker from Gears of War. Minus the Hammer of Dawn of course.

Man of Steel
25th May 2009, 21:36
I always hated those "defeat thugs before you defeat me" kinda thing.

spark
31st May 2009, 04:53
I would really like Batman to manipulate the environment like maybe plunging the entire room into darkness and scare the crap out of bosses, it would be cool to see their reactions like maybe harley quinn is scared or somethiing. And i hope there would be cinematic moments and maybe dynamic cameras like when batman throw his batarangs at a cool angle the whole camera pans and slow mo and see the batarang fly out of his hand and hit the villian, THAT WOULD BE COOL