PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: HR - General Chat & Discussion (2009-2010)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Jerion
21st May 2009, 19:27
Well guys and girls, that old Gen. Chat & Discussion thread from 2006 had turned into a big, huge, colossal, ludicrously bloated behemoth, a wasteland of lost posts.

So here is a shiny new one!

Just go on, pick up where the old discussion left off. Or start a new one, whatever. There really wasn't much of a discussion going on except for some talk about cheesecake. In case you do want to pick up from the other thread, though, here's the link to it:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=79966

-K :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st May 2009, 20:14
Oooh, a shiny new thread. Excellent. :cool:

Jerion
21st May 2009, 20:52
Yeah. It was about time the Ultimate Thread of Ultimate Merging got discarded. :D

GmanPro
21st May 2009, 21:02
Awww, I liked that thread. Lawl, I had 163 posts in it

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st May 2009, 21:49
Awww, I liked that thread. Lawl, I had 163 posts in it

I'm sure I had more! :p :D

FrankCSIS
22nd May 2009, 00:53
I'm just here to say cheesecake was undoubtedly imagined by gods and brought to us by aliens.

TALLGEESE
22nd May 2009, 01:00
I'm just here to say cheesecake was undoubtedly imagined by gods and brought to us by aliens.

agreed.

Jerion
22nd May 2009, 02:19

Most certainly.

GmanPro
22nd May 2009, 04:09

Indeed

Mezgrath
22nd May 2009, 09:03

Nope.

Spyhopping
22nd May 2009, 11:02

Cheesecake is our ambrosia

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd May 2009, 13:24
Fresh lemon cheesecake is the best - home-made, of course. :cool:

Sean D
22nd May 2009, 15:57
I wanted orange!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd May 2009, 16:52
Hehe, I should have known! :D

PlasmaSnake101
22nd May 2009, 20:21
Fresh lemon cheesecake is the best - home-made, of course. :cool:

With factory farmed animals none the less :rasp: Don't know how that works out but I stand by it.

Deus Ex 3: Forever

Malah
22nd May 2009, 21:37
In other news: I just saw the trailer for Sherlock Holmes (with Downey Jr). Two hours of fail coming to a theater near you...

I think they confused him with James Bond and Topper Harley. :rolleyes:

Edit: If you're wandering what this had to do with DX and gaming, allow me to explain - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nothing is sacred in this everlasting battle for more of the above mentioned .. stuff. Sims 3 is a great example of that. DLC furniture confirmed before launch. A WTF moment for me, but happy-happy-joy-joy for those mysterious beings called casual gamers.

PlasmaSnake101
22nd May 2009, 21:48
In other news: I just saw the trailer for Sherlock Holmes (with Downey Jr). Two hours of fail coming to a theater near you...

Edit: If you're wandering what this had to do with DX and gaming, allow me to explain - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Nothing is sacred in this everlasting battle for more of the above mentioned .. stuff. Sims 3 is a great example of that. DLC furniture confirmed before launch. A WTF moment for me, but happy-happy-joy-joy for those mysterious beings called casual gamers.

I'll go ahead and say it is in the interests of these people to make money. But me personally, I hope to God Deus Ex 3 has no DLC. I'll be pretty pissed.

PlasmaSnake101
22nd May 2009, 22:14
These people never cease to amaze me. "Omgomgomg Sims 3 is a great game but there's not enough furniture, so I'll just buy the furniture DLC's!" Helloooo? There's not enough furniture in the stock game because they ripped them off to sell you separately you ignorant cactus. Good job paying them extra money for stuff which is supposed to be free.

I'd rather have universal & regenerating ammo in DX 3 than DLC's. And that's saying a lot.

I think we can all agree, if EM announces there will be DLC, we will be out for blood.

SemiAnonymous
22nd May 2009, 22:21
The general idea of DLC is rather nice, it gives you a reason to come back to the game after a period away from it. But paying for DLC is terrible, I can't stand it. If EM were to give us free DLC, I actually wouldn't mind it, possibly even like it. Charging for DLC...uhm, no. I'll pass, thanks.

Malah
22nd May 2009, 22:26
I'll go ahead and say it is in the interests of these people to make money.

I know the makers want their films (and games) to appeal to a "broad audience", but Sherlock Holmes shouldn't be about gunfights and whatever else they stuffed it with. This trend of "re-imagining" the old is really, really sad.

If they want to make a movie about plasma bolts (exaggeration, I know) and whatnot they could come up with something new. R.D. Jr would give them a license to print money no matter what the title says. (Ab)using a name just to generate buzz

Different times call for different heroes. The drooling vegetables that seem to be the target audience of most of today's flicks deserve someone like Horatio Caine. One-liners and metrosexuality.

As a bonus for reading this rant you get a world exclusive preview for ..

"Poirot"
JACK BLACK as the hotheaded, adventurous Hercule Poirot
MARLON WAYANS takes on the role of beloved Captain Arthur Hastings

Poirot falls in love and a supervillain threatens the existence of mankind!

Check back for more!

jordan_a
22nd May 2009, 22:29
Maybe you all know this but Deus Ex will not be at the E3. Priority is given to Batman and Just Cause 2.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd May 2009, 22:52
With factory farmed animals none the less :rasp: Don't know how that works out but I stand by it.

You eat a kind of meat cheesecake? I assume it isn't very sweet - more savoury instead?
Ugh, not my idea of a delicious cheesecake but each to his own. I don't feel like I'm missing out, lol. :rasp: :D

GmanPro
22nd May 2009, 23:16

Yah. You are right of course. I noticed this when I saw the trailer too. There's a bunch of movies that I won't go watch now because they are just pure action and I'd rather not pay the studios to make a movie that some dude off the street could have made.

FrankCSIS
22nd May 2009, 23:51
A damnable shame, really. I've never been satisfied by a Sherlock film adaptation, and when we finally get quality people and a decent budget to boot it, they go out and casualise something as old fashioned, subtle and intelligent as Holmes.

I don't understand.

I just hope they never get their paws on Arsene Lupin.

And now the word is out that DiCaprio will play Sinatra, and Pitt might be in the talk to portrait Steve McQueen.

This is so ridiculously sad.

PlasmaSnake101
23rd May 2009, 00:28
Maybe Downey Jr. could pull it off. His recent work has been much different from what I would expect to see in a Holmes film, but from what I hear he has played some roles that surprise me. My brother told me about a film where he depicted Charlie Chaplin and apparently did a good job. I don't know, I've never seen that movie or read more then a couple of excerpts out of Holmes so I can't say for sure.

Back on to Deus 3x, DLC sucks hard.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd May 2009, 00:49
I think the new Sherlock Holmes movie looks fab! :cool:
Bet the cast had a lot of fun making it.

FrankCSIS
23rd May 2009, 01:35
Back on to Deus 3x, DLC sucks hard.

I'm a bit confused as to how DLC and pc gaming can co-exist. Can't you modify .ini files and textures anyway? What happened to people customising their stuff instead of paying for downloadable "expansions"?

Jerion
23rd May 2009, 02:44
I'm a bit confused as to how DLC and pc gaming can co-exist. Can't you modify .ini files and textures anyway? What happened to people customising their stuff instead of paying for downloadable "expansions"?

It's a terrible model for PC games, having to pay to unlock content already on your harddrive. When games had proper expansion packs, you could justify paying out for them. But when you start getting charged to download a couple (not always great) maps, or a skin or weapons, it loses its value.

Irate_Iguana
23rd May 2009, 10:35
As a bonus for reading this rant you get a world exclusive preview for ..

"Poirot"
JACK BLACK as the hotheaded, adventurous Hercule Poirot
MARLON WAYANS takes on the role of beloved Captain Arthur Hastings

Poirot falls in love and a supervillain threatens the existence of mankind!

Check back for more!

I've decided I hate you now. I can't stop thinking that some moron would actually do that to Hercule Poirot. If this were to happen there would be blood. And it wouldn't be mine.

Jerion
23rd May 2009, 14:12
Hey everybody, go here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/biggamesweekend/vote/index.shtml) and vote for DX! :D

Spyhopping
23rd May 2009, 14:41
Don't usually bother with radio 1, but I'll have a listen out for it!

The vote closes at noon on Manday 25th May.

Just how a Londoner says Monday :p

Snake04
23rd May 2009, 15:26
I'd rather have universal & regenerating ammo in DX 3 than DLC's. And that's saying a lot.

Me Two

Irate_Iguana
23rd May 2009, 17:46
Hey everybody, go here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/biggamesweekend/vote/index.shtml) and vote for DX! :D

There seem to be an awful lot of good classics missing from that list.

Jerion
23rd May 2009, 18:24
There seem to be an awful lot of good classics missing from that list.

If it weren't for DX3 I highly doubt that DX would be on that list.

imported_van_HellSing
23rd May 2009, 18:44
If it weren't for DX3 I highly doubt that DX would be on that list.

Oh come on, most of the mainstream probably doesn't even remember DX3 is still (supposedly) in the works.

Jerion
23rd May 2009, 19:15
Oh come on, most of the mainstream probably doesn't even remember DX3 is still (supposedly) in the works.

LOL fair enough. :D

SemiAnonymous
24th May 2009, 07:04

On a related note, there are now 4 halo games not including Wars, according to the BBC.

Sabretooth1
24th May 2009, 14:10
They have Gears of War but not System Shock 2, I lol'd

Irate_Iguana
24th May 2009, 16:04
I'm still figuring out how Day Of The Tentacle got on there. It is a fantastic game and should be on there, but given some of the other entries it seems the odd-one-out.

Malah
24th May 2009, 17:27
They have Gears of War but not System Shock 2, I lol'd
GOW HAS VCOER SYSTEM AND IS THIRD PRESON LOLHAXXROFL AND MARCUS FNEIX IS TEH **** AND YOU SKUC N00B!!!!111

Anyway.. I wonder why they didn't add Peggle to their 'ultimate' list? Consoletards are representin' (four-- FOUR Halo games??) but moms and teen girls only have The Sims.

SquidPirate
25th May 2009, 01:01
I've decided I hate you now. I can't stop thinking that some moron would actually do that to Hercule Poirot. If this were to happen there would be blood. And it wouldn't be mine.

I've read most of the Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot stories, and I agree completely. The commercial I saw was not Sherlock Holmes in any way; Downey is a talented actor, but Hollywood is going to screw this up.

The sad thing is that you CAN have a great story with great entertainment. They usually are one and the same. You don't have to dumb things down to score big with audiences and critics. Jackson's LOTR was an honorable tribute to the work of Tolkien, as just one example.

GmanPro
25th May 2009, 03:30
^^ Notice how the first movie was the best one. And after it was successful, the next two were progressively more casual. And the worst thing is, a lot of people will say that they enjoyed the second and third much more than the first. Saying that there wasn't enough action in Fellowship, and that they were bored most of the time.

Sigh

Irate_Iguana
25th May 2009, 07:10
And the worst thing is, a lot of people will say that they enjoyed the second and third much more than the first.

Gollem and the weird gay tension between Frodo and Sam was more than enough to make me dislike the second and third movies.

GmanPro
25th May 2009, 07:37
Lol, they didn't quite do that properly in the movies. Too much Gollum was one thing, but they failed to mention that Frodo was like 20 years older than Sam. Sam was supposed to look up to him as a mentor. And not explaining that 20 years took place between Bilbo leaving the Shire, and Frodo setting off to Bree with the ring messed things up too. They had to make up some weird sht about how the Uruks were dug out of mud holes instead of actually bred ... lol

gamer0004
25th May 2009, 15:07
They had to make up some weird sht about how the Uruks were dug out of mud holes instead of actually bred ... lol

There is no agreement on this subject. Not even tolkien was sure about the orcs (Uruk-hai are a type of orcs (yes, they are)). The first orcs were transformed elves, but then they should've been immortal.
So Tolkien thought about introducing men in an earlier stage. Then he died.
Either way, there are some references of orcs coming out of the ground (no idea where I read it though). TBH, I just don't see orcs making love to each other, so I reckon Morgoth brought them to life with magic.
Then again, Morgoth could not create life. It depends on how you intrepret that. It could mean he could not create new forms of life (like Eru and Aulë), but he could "awake" them.
That Glorfindel was replaced by Arwen or that there were ******* elves of Lorien helping in Helmsdeep (shouldn't they, like, defend their own country from the orcs of Dol Guldur?)

Spyhopping
25th May 2009, 21:29
DX came sixteenth (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/biggamesweekend/vote/index.shtml) in that poll :scratch:

Spyhopping
25th May 2009, 22:03
Yeah, pretty fail. Shows the demographic that listens to radio 1 :p
Not to offend anyone from England who listens to it, but I had to endure hours on end for a year listening to Sarah Cox on radio 1 where I once worked. I now have an irrational thirst for blood every time I hear her

FrankCSIS
26th May 2009, 00:01
^^ Notice how the first movie was the best one. And after it was successful, the next two were progressively more casual. And the worst thing is, a lot of people will say that they enjoyed the second and third much more than the first. Saying that there wasn't enough action in Fellowship, and that they were bored most of the time.

Sigh

I thought the first one was the most intriguing and had the best build up and general rhythm, but no doubt are you right about general opinion. I found very little interest in the third one, personally, which conatained too much warfare and too little story and adventure.

Oh and that poll is disgusting. CoD 4 and Football Manager? I need a drink.

Spyhopping
26th May 2009, 00:15
Oh and that poll is disgusting. CoD 4 and Football Manager? I need a drink.

Better make it a nuke. That pilot guy Jock in the corner, he drank all of the beer :(

DXeXodus
26th May 2009, 11:13
DX came sixteenth (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/biggamesweekend/vote/index.shtml) in that poll :scratch:

Thats just plain wrong.

And no SS2.... :eek:

Malah
26th May 2009, 14:39
Thats just plain wrong.

And no SS2.... :eek:

ss sux ballz so boring you dont know whatto do no arrow to leadmet o the objective adn teh screen wass confusing as hell so mnay buttnsos so ti sux deal wthi it n00b!

HALO IS TEH WIN!!:D:D:D:D

Anywhoo... I heard DX3 has regenerating health.

Jerion
26th May 2009, 16:37
ss sux ballz so boring you dont know whatto do no arrow to leadmet o the objective adn teh screen wass confusing as hell so mnay buttnsos so ti sux deal wthi it n00b!

:lol::lol:

GmanPro
26th May 2009, 17:46
That poll is why I don't bother anymore. Anyone can tell you that there are significantly fewer smart people than intellectually-challenged people in the world. By the same logic, there are only so many who have as refined tastes as we do.

Love your new sig GmanPro, HK 47 for the win.

Yeah. He was pretty win :D

hem dazon 90
27th May 2009, 03:12
itd only be good for dx3 to have dlc if it was only for easter eggs- extra levels and the like

Daedalus Ciarán
27th May 2009, 10:55
In all fairness, the poll has no age limit so most of the people who voted could've been primarily early teens. I mean how many people watch films which came out before they were born? How many people here have seen Citizen Kane? Or Battleship Potemkin? Or Triumph of the Will? These films all technically changed the way films were made, and Citizen Kane changed the way stories were told in films. But not many people have seen any of them these days. How can we expect many people today to have played Deus Ex? It's important, and still a fantastic game (I doubt anyone will disagree here), but has become dated in an industry which is constantly pushing forward faster and faster.

Some games get left behind after a year or two. Especially if there's no brand name like Halo, or Call of Duty, or Final Fantasy. I think it's a credit to the game that it is still making these popular lists. Six out of the top ten in that list have been released in the past two years. None of them are stand alone; they're all part of major franchises. They all have recognisable 'names' in the title. Deus Ex is not a 'name', and I don't think we can say that it's a successful franchise can we?

lightbetsoin
27th May 2009, 16:29
i cant agree with you.
Deus ex, even nowadays, is the better gameplay in a fps.

the only thing that deus ex need is better graphics.

So, i've got some question for the team, maybe they 'll help me to understand :

Do you know that dx is describe by many gamers communitys as the better fps ever?
I ask that, because i read that you are totally changing the gameplay of the original game.
why autoheal?
why this stupid system of cover?
why are you transforming this dx in some kind of basic action game?
do you really think that the recipe of success is autohealing and gameplay of gow?
Deus ex and gow are 2 very different types of games, their features are not compatible.

Sry for my english, its not my own language.
just know that all over the world, they are people waiting for a real deus ex 2 ( yeah, i said 2, because iw cant be a deus ex, it suck ).

ilweran
27th May 2009, 17:12
Then again, Morgoth could not create life. It depends on how you intrepret that. It could mean he could not create new forms of life (like Eru and Aulë), but he could "awake" them.

Aulë couldn't truly create new forms of life either, it was Eru who gave them independence from the will of their maker. Eru wasn't going to step in and do the same for Morgoth so all his creatures must have been bred from existing life or have no free-will or independent existence.

Blade_hunter
27th May 2009, 17:54

When I said in this forum Halo is a game with a cheap gameplay some persons cames suddenly to tell me the contrary ...

hem dazon 90
27th May 2009, 19:54
deus ex number 16! half life 2 number 12!! what is this blasphemy both of those should be in at least the top 10

LatwPIAT
27th May 2009, 22:05
In all fairness, the poll has no age limit so most of the people who voted could've been primarily early teens. I mean how many people watch films which came out before they were born? How many people here have seen Citizen Kane? Or Battleship Potemkin? Or Triumph of the Will? These films all technically changed the way films were made, and Citizen Kane changed the way stories were told in films. But not many people have seen any of them these days. How can we expect many people today to have played Deus Ex? It's important, and still a fantastic game (I doubt anyone will disagree here), but has become dated in an industry which is constantly pushing forward faster and faster.
Now, I'm born in 1992 and with only a few exceptions, my favourite movies are all from before I was born, including Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove or: How I learnt to stop worrying and love the Bomb and Das Boot. Games I've played include Ultima IV (1988?) and Ultima V. Amongst my favourite games we have such gems as Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (1999) Planescape: Torment (1999) and Deus Ex (2000) all of which I started playing in 2008.

Then again, it's only on the internet, on boards devoted to similar games that I've met people with similar interests, so I think we're a minority.

hem dazon 90
27th May 2009, 22:27

Some games get left behind after a year or two. Especially if there's no brand name like Halo, or Call of Duty, or Final Fantasy. I think it's a credit to the game that it is still making these popular lists. Six out of the top ten in that list have been released in the past two years. None of them are stand alone; they're all part of major franchises. They all have recognisable 'names' in the title. Deus Ex is not a 'name', and I don't think we can say that it's a successful franchise can we?

I have to disagree.I was born in '49 cold war kid of mcarthy time . I mean 1994 and many of my faveorite things are from back in the day such as billy joel,deus ex, and the novel neuromancer

(anyone know how to cross things out)

imported_van_HellSing
28th May 2009, 04:42
Like this?

[*s*]Remove the asterisks[*/s*]:

Red
28th May 2009, 11:10
From that poll:

From Friday 22nd May to Monday 25th May 2009 visitors to the Radio 1 website voted on their favourite game from a list compiled by a panel of games experts. Here's how they voted...

Has anyone else read that bolded text and started laughing so hard that the neighbors almost had to call the police?

GmanPro
28th May 2009, 11:24
No. But now that you mention it. Yeah.

SageSavage
28th May 2009, 12:46
I don't know what it means but I don't like it to be entirely left in the dark for so long.

hem dazon 90
28th May 2009, 17:29
Game experts my ass. Anyway, back to Deus Ex from these ignorant tea drinkers.

how very tolerant of you.

René
29th May 2009, 14:20
Now, I'm born in 1992...

Holy crap, I'm old.

Blade_hunter
29th May 2009, 15:11
Depends there is som 25 years old guys :rasp:

Bono
29th May 2009, 15:17
TTLG poll shows most hardcore fans are people in their 30s.

So, Eidos Montreal, you're making games not for the kids!

imported_van_HellSing
29th May 2009, 20:20
So apparently D'Astous and some other EM people are going to E3.

I say they should stay and WORK, damnit, so maybe, just maybe they actually have something to show next year.

Malah
29th May 2009, 21:16
I say they should stay and WORK, damnit, so maybe, just maybe they actually have something to show next year.
Eidos Montreal is proud to present ReGenCont4ntz(TM)!! A technological breakthrough that gives a whole new meaning to "one step forward, two steps back"

Features our proprietary PrequelGeneratrixMatrixx(TM) Engine 2.0

GmanPro
29th May 2009, 21:20
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/GmanPro/Industry.jpg?t=1243631072

Jerion
29th May 2009, 21:41
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/GmanPro/Industry.jpg?t=1243631072

Overused?

GmanPro
29th May 2009, 21:44
It cannot be used enough

SageSavage
29th May 2009, 22:11
And coincidentally, today is my 24th birthday.
Happy Birthday (/ belated best wishes)! :)

Blade_hunter
29th May 2009, 22:31
What's happen with thiAf, guys ?
Something wrong ?
Don't tell me it has the regenerating health too :eek:

Malah
29th May 2009, 22:36
What's happen with thiAf, guys ?
Something wrong ?
Don't tell me it has the regenerating health too :eek:'
Actually it has regenerating stealth. As you move, your stealth level will drop. You must stand still for it to regenerate.

The designers felt the old approach of sneaking in shadows slowed the action too much.

Blade_hunter
29th May 2009, 23:33
Regenerating stealth ?
Wow I just hope they doesn't apply that thing into Deus Ex ...

Necros
30th May 2009, 07:07
deus ex number 16! half life 2 number 12!! what is this blasphemy both of those should be in at least the top 10
Half Life 2 in the top 10? Are you kidding me? :hmm:

Jerion
30th May 2009, 07:16
From that poll:

Has anyone else read that bolded text and started laughing so hard that the neighbors almost had to call the police?

Hey, attention said "games experts":

Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching? And my straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake, I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!

raz3r
30th May 2009, 08:45
So what about E3? I was so excited to see something @ the expo but this year still nothing :(

Malah
30th May 2009, 12:25
So what about E3? I was so excited to see something @ the expo but this year still nothing :(
Don't be sad. There will still be plenty of stuff to get excited about. Mass Effect 2, some new Bethesda game (hopefully an RPG, no matter how cheesy) + lots and lots of console xclusiv crap

:worship: Dragon Age

SageSavage
30th May 2009, 12:51
That new Bethesda game sounds indeed interesting - something in a dark near-future setting, envolving ecologic problems of the real world and stuff. I am not very excited about Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age.

raz3r
30th May 2009, 13:01
Where can I found more informations about this Bethesda Game? I just finished Fallout 3 and i loved the gameplay.

FrankCSIS
30th May 2009, 15:04
That new Bethesda game sounds indeed interesting - something in a dark near-future setting, envolving ecologic problems of the real world and stuff.

They're remaking Deus Ex?

SageSavage
30th May 2009, 16:27
Here's the teaser for Bethesda's new game called "Brink":
http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/splash-damage-project/987844p1.html

Doesn't look or sound too much like cyberpunk but actually that's impossible to tell from the clip.

FrankCSIS
30th May 2009, 17:34
Comment found on that trailer's site:

how about squad based shooter in an open sandbox world? Too much to ask? It would be like wedding Mass Effect with Fallout 3.

Please?

After just replaying Loom this morning, and then reading this, I guess I'm forced to admit the industry has indeed moved on to something else, and with it the players' desires.

I wonder if there's an alternate universe out there where originality, oddity and beauty in games have continued to prosper and evolve as time moved on. :hmm:

hem dazon 90
30th May 2009, 17:43
Half Life 2 in the top 10? Are you kidding me? :hmm:

half life is godlike. It has great characters, great story, great physics, whats not to like?

SageSavage
30th May 2009, 19:05
It is linear and it's a traditional shooter.

VicMackey
30th May 2009, 19:40
And it doesn't really have a story. Just a collection of perpetually unresolved mysteries that give the illusion of a story. Very little has ever actually happened in a Half Life game, and this is coming from someone that likes them.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
30th May 2009, 19:45
Overused?

Most certainly.
Apparently its only a working title, yet it still manages to ruffle some feathers. :D

GmanPro
30th May 2009, 20:26
half life is godlike. It has great characters, great story, great physics, whats not to like?

It is linear and it's a traditional shooter.

And it doesn't really have a story. Just a collection of perpetually unresolved mysteries that give the illusion of a story. Very little has ever actually happened in a Half Life game, and this is coming from someone that likes them.

Yes. And besides all that ... Half-Life 1 was better than HL2. If anything, IT deserves to be high up in the ranks.

That new Bethesda game sounds indeed interesting - something in a dark near-future setting, envolving ecologic problems of the real world and stuff. I am not very excited about Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age.

Penny-arcade was having nerd-gasms over Dragon Age. But I wont get my hopes up. And for that matter, neither will I get exited over anything Bethesda makes ... ever again.

FrankCSIS
30th May 2009, 21:36
Most certainly.
Apparently its only a working title, yet it still manages to ruffle some feathers. :D

Oh we've been through that. Point is, when a logo is what you have for a big announcement, if you insist on making it public, you better stand by it. If this is the one they stand by, from what it projects, it makes sense to form this kind of opinion about it.

On a happier note, HL 1 might have had very little story, but as I said before, it was handled well enough to stimulate the imagination and make the player interact with the story instead of the gameplay alone, despite being completely linear and scripted.

I think we often see player interaction the wrong way around, especially when it comes to a game's story. Multiple choices of outcomes are not a guarantee of interaction, just like a linear story can get very personal and reach out to you. Books are, by definition, linear, but they also offer the most interactive and up close experience of most mediums, with perhaps the exception of paintings and some very well written songs. The way a medium stimulates your mind and forces it out of its boundaries to understand or fill out missing details is much more important, to me, than the option of selecting ending A over ending C. DX was no exception to that. I could've easily lived with any of the endings, and that ultimate choice in the end was a bit of a weak point in an otherwise very solid story.

I'll give another example of interactivity without any actual input on the content from the viewers. We used to have a traditional end-of-the-year tv show here, which was a lengthy parody of the year's events. Think of it as a souped-up SNL. It became very clear over the years that the real fun of this classic show didn't come from the sketches and the jokes, but the interaction with the public seated at home with their whole family. Every year, everyone would speculate on which events they would address, and which comedian would play which public personality. During the show, a huge chunk of the fun came from trying to guess, in the first few seconds of each sketch, which comedian it was under the desguise performing the impersonation, more than the impersonation itself. This was interactivity at its best, at least as far as tv is concerned.

To a certain extent, it's the same reason game shows work so well with the public. Living room interaction, although the viewers have zero control on the actual events.

hem dazon 90
31st May 2009, 05:37
yes jump on me because I like half life 1 and 2. enjoy your annoying overcompilicated games which bore most people beyond all recognition. I like half life sue me.

GmanPro
31st May 2009, 06:14
enjoy your annoying overcompilicated games which bore most people beyond all recognition.

Thank you. We will. :thumb:

SemiAnonymous
31st May 2009, 07:43
In other news, I've been playing through system shock.

I must say, despite it being a great game, it was quite a shock (c wut i did thar?) to see how the game is controlled, what with the press this button to look down bits. Its actually a bit annoying, but it seems...right, somehow. Either way, I wouldn't refuse a remake of SS1 and 2

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st May 2009, 08:51
Oh we've been through that. Point is, when a logo is what you have for a big announcement, if you insist on making it public, you better stand by it. If this is the one they stand by, from what it projects, it makes sense to form this kind of opinion about it.

Okay, if you say so. :)

To me, a working title suggests exactly what it says... a working title. I mean, the forum doesn't even have a proper banner design or anything yet and Rene confirmed earlier that 'Thief 4' and not' Thi4f' is the name of the registered website etc and for fans not to worry about it. This is why I find it amusing that some have reached the conclusion that the name 'thi4f' is actually THE title of the game. Still, I don't know anything more about the situation than you guys - I just read Rene's response and that's why I'm not freaking out about it at this point. :cool:

Red
31st May 2009, 11:01
It's not about whether it's actual title or not... It's more about why the f pull such thing as l33t sp33k to announce a sequel to an awesome series? I mean WTF, Thief 4 doesn't seem [Eidos Montreal rape of words] cool [/Eidos Montreal rape of words] enough to be just that? Noooo, It's cooool if you have something special, like a stupid number in the word for no apparent reason. And even then, the number as it is, it symbolises character 'A' in l33tsp33k so it makes abso-f-lutely no sense.

What for? Is it more catchy that way? Are they trying to appeal to t3h g33k5? How can one take such people seriously then? They apparently aren't taking us seriously.

SageSavage
31st May 2009, 12:50
I think people are overreacting once again. I can see where those complaints about the name are coming from but personally I tend to prefer game devs that are ok with doing something immature from time to time over the super-serious business type of people. It's usually the latter type of people who are more mainstream and streamlining oriented.

Red
31st May 2009, 14:14
Thi4f is not immature, it's just outright plain stupid.

imported_van_HellSing
31st May 2009, 14:21
And D'Astous is sooo proud of it! ;)

Ashpolt
31st May 2009, 14:57
Okay, if you say so. :)

To me, a working title suggests exactly what it says... a working title. I mean, the forum doesn't even have a proper banner design or anything yet and Rene confirmed earlier that 'Thief 4' and not' Thi4f' is the name of the registered website etc and for fans not to worry about it. This is why I find it amusing that some have reached the conclusion that the name 'thi4f' is actually THE title of the game. Still, I don't know anything more about the situation than you guys - I just read Rene's response and that's why I'm not freaking out about it at this point. :cool:

I think the difference here (and with differences in opinions on Deus Ex 3) is that where we see smoke and think "fire," you see smoke and think "smoke."

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st May 2009, 15:40
They apparently aren't taking us seriously.
You might be right, but perhaps EM don't take over-reaction to something seriously, if that's what you mean? :)

And D'Astous is sooo proud of it! ;)
He is proud of his company and the game franchise projects he wants to bring back to life. For that, I salute him and all of EM. :wave:
I'm speaking for myself here, but I am very grateful to them for DX3 and T4. :cool:

I think the difference here (and with differences in opinions on Deus Ex 3) is that where we see smoke and think "fire," you see smoke and think "smoke."
Haha, you're too funny! Hey, at least I'm not burning myself alive with my thoughts! I can deal with a little bit of smoke, no problems. :D

SemiAnonymous
31st May 2009, 18:28
Can we all just agree that EM needs to work on their PR and move on?

imported_van_HellSing
31st May 2009, 19:11
We currently have nothing to move on to.

So maybe let's change the topic a bit. I'm finally watching S.A.C. 2nd GIG, it's generally just as good. if not better than the first season. However ep. 11 was pure sentimental glurge, I hope there are no more eps like that one... Anyone who's seen the show care to comment?

Jerion
31st May 2009, 22:25
I haven't seen it. I can't wait for the new season of Burn Notice though. :cool:

GmanPro
31st May 2009, 23:13
Ahhh yes. I'll be watching that too

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Jun 2009, 01:35
Is it just me who is impressed with the Mini Ninjas trailer? :D

Irate_Iguana
1st Jun 2009, 08:32
I'm finally watching S.A.C. 2nd GIG

I have no idea what you just said and if I could locate it I would show you a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head.

Ashpolt
1st Jun 2009, 08:39
^^

http://ratonland.org/img/articles/bunny-pancake.gif

BAM!

Malah
1st Jun 2009, 09:16

So maybe let's change the topic a bit. I'm finally watching S.A.C. 2nd GIG, it's generally just as good. if not better than the first season. However ep. 11 was pure sentimental glurge, I hope there are no more eps like that one... Anyone who's seen the show care to comment?
Come on, that's an excellent episode : )

As for more of these "stoopid" ones, maybe ep 18. I went over the list @ wikipedia so I might have missed something.
Can't watch any of them to confirm, since I can't figure out where I put my DVD set..

LatwPIAT
1st Jun 2009, 17:40

Ep. 11... That's the one with the sickeningly sweet and sad flashbacks as told by an aged storeowner right? Nah... There aren't any more episodes like that, luckily. It's mostly used to set up a thematic effect later in the series and the following movie.

EDIT: Ep. 18? Just checked and that's not that bad of an episode. There's less flashbacks, more focus on the detective work, a genuine threat and more character development.

Ashpolt
1st Jun 2009, 19:57
Being as this seems to have got off the topic of DX3...

After watching the Microsoft E3 press conference, I would just like to say that Hideo Kojima is the greatest troll that ever lived.

Kojima: "I hear the 360 prayers want to pray Metar Gear Sorrid. So I am preased to announce new game, Metar Gear Sorrid Rising."

Crowd: (Huge applause.)

Microsoft rep: "Well, I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we look forward to continuing the adventures of Solid Snake."

Kojima: "Oh, who mention Sorrid Snake? In ris game, you pray Raiden. Everyone rike Raiden! And is action game. Rightning Bolt Action!"

Crowd: SERIOUSFACE.

IOOI
1st Jun 2009, 20:56
What are you talking about? DX3? Where's is the footage?

imported_van_HellSing
1st Jun 2009, 20:57
Nowhere.

Ashpolt
1st Jun 2009, 23:25
What are you talking about? DX3? Where's is the footage?

I was talking about the new Metal Gear game announced at the Microsoft press conference, and the subsequent lulz that ensued. DX3 is a no-show, apparently.

Malah
2nd Jun 2009, 00:53
Ep. 18? Just checked and that's not that bad of an episode. There's less flashbacks, more focus on the detective work, a genuine threat and more character development.

I figured it was the general emotional stuff that upset him or something.. ep18 fits. More or less.

I loved both, but people have different tastes. Some are still excited about DX3. :scratch:

MaxxQ1
2nd Jun 2009, 05:00
Call me a sentimental old fart, but I happened to like BOTH episodes (11 and 18). Granted, I've only seen everything GitS only once, so far (except for the original movie - several times for that one), but I liked it enough to get everything I could find, including GitS 2: Innocence, and SSS.

I don't know enough about the series to have a discussion on it, except as far as whether I liked a particular episode or movie.

Also, I'm fairly new to anime in general, and have a limited experience with it. The stuff I prefer is along the lines of GitS, Appleseed (both movies), Akira (coming soon in live action to a theater near you*), and Vexille.

*http://www.akira2019.com/live-action-film.htm

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/02/20/its-official-live-action-akira-confirmed-already-for-2009/

New Manhattan, not Neo-Tokyo :mad2::mad2:

SemiAnonymous
2nd Jun 2009, 05:45
360 Fluid: Full Body Waggle!

But yeah, how 'bout them E3's?

Irate_Iguana
2nd Jun 2009, 08:10
In ris game, you pray Raiden. Everyone rike Raiden!

I've never understood why they took a cool anti-hero like Snake (cliched as he was) and replaced him with the effeminate whining sack-of-**** that was Raiden. There have been few protagonists that were as unsuited to their game as Raiden.

imported_van_HellSing
2nd Jun 2009, 08:35
If I remember well, it was something along the lines of Kojima testing MGS on a focus group of teenage girls, who went "Ewww, not another game about sweaty smelly grumpy old men!"

And I'm actually being serious here.

Ashpolt
2nd Jun 2009, 09:04
360 Fluid: Full Body Waggle!

But yeah, how 'bout them E3's?

I loved the Microsoft guy's comment that was something along the lines of "this isn't some peripheral where you'll end up on the sofa using preset waggle commands." Miaow.

As for Raiden....Kojima's stated that he wanted him to be the complete antithesis of Snake, and introducing his character was supposed to add to theme of identity that ran through MGS2: namely, we're confused as to who the hell we are in the same way that our character is. But I think that might just be marketing BS to cover up a bad decision.

....But that said, if he realised it was a bad decision, surely he wouldn't be making another Raiden-based game?

imported_van_HellSing
2nd Jun 2009, 09:24
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3466/kojimasucksrz1.jpg

Irate_Iguana
2nd Jun 2009, 11:26

This is a joke, right? The translation from moonspeak to English must have been wrong. There is no way someone could have said this with a straight face and still be allowed to make two more games.

Ashpolt
2nd Jun 2009, 11:31

Can I be a big geek and point out the fact that the person in the last panel is not Raiden, but is in fact Raikovich from MGS3?

rokstrombo
2nd Jun 2009, 12:54
He's so dreamy... :p

imported_van_HellSing
2nd Jun 2009, 13:31
Can I be a big geek and point out the fact that the person in the last panel is not Raiden, but is in fact Raikovich from MGS3?

Can I be an even bigger geek and correct you? It's Raikov Raidenovich not "Raikovich" :P.

Ashpolt
2nd Jun 2009, 13:37
Can I be an even bigger geek and correct you? It's Raikov Raidenovich not "Raikovich" :P.

Right you are sir, I take off my geek hat to you.

LatwPIAT
2nd Jun 2009, 13:44

Then I take the title of Übergeek and claim that that is in fact Naked Snake wearing the Raikov mask...

IOOI
2nd Jun 2009, 17:58

I don't know if this is true or not, but in Japan I would find it reasonable.
That's a good way to attract more young female players to the game.
For instance when I view some news report about videogames in Japan I see many women speaking. So women in Japan must be considered as an important sales-target.:hmm:

The same is in some violent sports like K-1. For instance when Masato is fighting the women go crazy!:nut:

FrankCSIS
2nd Jun 2009, 22:03
All I know is, they're both scary

Ashpolt
3rd Jun 2009, 00:41
While we're on the topic of E3, I wrote a summary of what happened during the Microsoft and Sony conferences as I was watching them. Links to both of the summaries are on here. (http://neotaku.com/node/244) They're a bit long, especially the Sony one, and largely unformatted because as I mentioned, I was typing them as I watched the conferences, but they contain info about all of the major announcements (and most of the minor ones, barring a few PSP and PS3 games shown for a few seconds on Sony's multi-game trailer.) They're also purely subjective, containing my personal biases, so if you're a Halo fan you may want to skip them. :P

Yes, this is also slightly a shameless promotion for a forum I run, but only slightly! (And it's not in competition with this forum, so I hope it shouldn't be against any rules.) It's mainly just a quick way to catch up with the major announcements from E3.

And if you're wondering why I haven't done this for Nintendo's conference, I can summarise it in one word: waggling. :P

SemiAnonymous
3rd Jun 2009, 01:38
waggling. :P

Bah, under detailed. Casual waggling, Mario x4, Sexy Metroid. Thats all that really needs to be said.

That out of the way, I do look foward to Galaxy 2 and this new Metroid. At minimum, I'm curious, but I loved galaxy, so lets see what we can get.

KSingh77
3rd Jun 2009, 02:21
E3 lacked orange and lemon but at least Mass Effect 2 is looking cool.

IOOI
3rd Jun 2009, 07:55
Unbelievable! The year that I was expecting my top 3 favorite games to be released and not even one...
DNF is in standby for a long, long, long time. HL2 ep3... no E3 announcement, not even a screenshot. Deus Ex 3... well I was expecting it to be delayed - no way they could do a AAA title in 18-24 months.
Well, see ya next year or untill there's some news, screenshots, whatever...

SageSavage
3rd Jun 2009, 12:23
They say Brink is going to be a "Multiplayer-RPG-Parkour-Shooter". Some screens (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/47721/Brink-Screenshots) (or maybe just concepts, dunno).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Jun 2009, 17:31
Unbelievable! The year that I was expecting my top 3 favorite games to be released and not even one...

Yeah, know the feeling. :(
I was hoping Velvet Assassin would be another good one, but the reviews seem to suggest otherwise.

SemiAnonymous
3rd Jun 2009, 20:43
They say Brink is going to be a "Multiplayer-RPG-Parkour-Shooter". Some screens (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/47721/Brink-Screenshots) (or maybe just concepts, dunno).

So uh...that doesn't look like the crappy Bethesda engine (whatever its called). Suddenly, hope springs into my heart.

nsf001
4th Jun 2009, 01:31
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6209112/

5:06 O_o

Jerion
4th Jun 2009, 03:34

Brink looks interesting.

SemiAnonymous
4th Jun 2009, 05:51
A Kojima-Castlevania makes me a very, very nervous man.
Hours and hours of cutscenes in an action driven series would scare me quite a bit. I hope they know what their doing.

In other news, LIGHTNING BOLT ACTION

Ashpolt
4th Jun 2009, 18:53
Deus Ex comes in 35th in Empire's user-voted "100 Greatest Games" (http://www.empireonline.com/100greatestgames/default.asp?p=40) below both Halo and Halo 3, Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, Sonic the Hedgehog, The Sims...my faith in the gaming community is shattered.

Surprisingly strong showing for Planescape: Torment though, at number 11.

Jerion
4th Jun 2009, 19:19
Deus Ex comes in 35th in Empire's user-voted "100 Greatest Games" (http://www.empireonline.com/100greatestgames/default.asp?p=40) below both Halo and Halo 3, Gears of War, Call of Duty 4, Sonic the Hedgehog, The Sims...my faith in the gaming community is shattered.

Surprisingly strong showing for Planescape: Torment though, at number 11.

What did you expect? DX is a cult game. It's easily the finest PC game ever created, but the masses have never heard of it and they only vote for the super big titles that they play with their buddies.

Really though, I can understand why people voted for Halo. Before CoD 4 came out, it was probably, no easily the best multiplayer shooter. It didn't do much, but what it did do it did well. I don't consider it a truly great game, certainly not in the same caliber as Half Life or the great DX, but I do consider it a success.

SageSavage
4th Jun 2009, 19:21
Yeah, there's quite a bit wrong with this list. At least System Shock made it in the first quarter.

Ashpolt
5th Jun 2009, 00:11
What did you expect? DX is a cult game. It's easily the finest PC game ever created, but the masses have never heard of it and they only vote for the super big titles that they play with their buddies.

DX is a cult game, true, and I never would expect it to come number 1, but I'm quite surprised it didn't at least make the top 20. It's consistently in PC Gamer UK's reader voted top 3 PC games ever, frequently at number 1, and I'd've though if a significant enough percentage of PC Gamers would consider it their top game ever that would be enough to at least put it in the top 20 of an all format chart, possibly even top 10. And besides, Planescape Torment is far more cult than DX, I'd say, and that got in at number 11.

And yeah, to a degree I can understand why people would vote for Halo (not saying I agree, just understand) but Halo 3? Gears of War?

IgnisInCaelum
5th Jun 2009, 09:46
Have any of you guys thought about *creating* a game? Surely it'd be a good move to get the people who most know exactly what they're looking for together and start work, unhindered by release dates, broad target demographics, and other such evil and foul things?

(This isn't meant rudely; the software exists for game creation without spending massive amounts of money (or any at all, even), so all that's left to do is get people with will, skill, and time together and go. Skill can be gained, so really only people with time and will are necessary, though natural talent and preexisting skill are beneficial.)

Ashpolt
5th Jun 2009, 10:44
I'd love to create a game - problem is I have no programming skills whatsoever. Well, a bit of QBasic, but that's somewhat outdated now. :P I also have no artistic skill, so that's out, which leaves me in either a writing position (which would be great) or publishing if it's a professional title (also fine.) There was talk on here a while ago about making a game, and various people were volunteering to do various jobs, but I don't know what happened to that.

Red
5th Jun 2009, 11:48
There was talk on here a while ago about making a game, and various people were volunteering to do various jobs, but I don't know what happened to that.

Well, yeah, Deus Ex 3 is now in development...

Jerion
5th Jun 2009, 17:53
Have any of you guys thought about *creating* a game? Surely it'd be a good move to get the people who most know exactly what they're looking for together and start work, unhindered by release dates, broad target demographics, and other such evil and foul things?

(This isn't meant rudely; the software exists for game creation without spending massive amounts of money (or any at all, even), so all that's left to do is get people with will, skill, and time together and go. Skill can be gained, so really only people with time and will are necessary, though natural talent and preexisting skill are beneficial.)

I'm actually working on one right now. :p

Bloodwolf806
5th Jun 2009, 18:20
So....No E3 trailer? Gameplay vids? Screens? Info?

<------Take a close look at the icon, you guys are catching up.

FrankCSIS
5th Jun 2009, 22:48

My capacities are limited to story writing and general vivid imagination.

I have zero knowledge to transfer any of it into reality. ;)

SemiAnonymous
6th Jun 2009, 05:36
yeah, if I were to be involved with making a game, I would be stuck on the creative side...
Sad, really. I've got a ton of great ideas running around in my head, and I could easily flesh them out into full games, but I lack the expertise to make them a reality. One day, though. One day.

El_Bel
6th Jun 2009, 15:04
Well we know that there is not another good thing except for the conversation system, big world, choices and consequences and some other things (and we dont know them for sure, they could be there just for the marketing) We know that studios that produce new exciting things dont keep them secret! They advertise on them!On the other hand EM will not say anything about the game, even after 55 members voted for more news.

On the other hand we have plenty of bad things already. No skills, health regen, one ammo type per weapon...

The only reason i can think of is they dont want any bad publicity. They are going to turn the game to a crap fps with dialogs ala fallout 3 "PLEASE TELL ME WHERE HE IS, I MISS HIM SO MUCH!" (real dialog option) and dont want people to talk about it.

We have been fed lies about a dev blog, that never came.
They were supposed to let us communicate with the stuff, but they dont even have a DIALOG about health regeneration ("We like this because a,b,c and thats final. If you dont like it dont buy it!" "But thats overkill, you could fix the problems a,b,c with x and stay closer to the original" "silence" "anybody there?")

I am worried, what is the big bad news that they are so afraid of telling? Something worse than health regen? I hope not, but i am not so sure.

imported_van_HellSing
6th Jun 2009, 16:20
Well, yeah, Deus Ex 3 is now in development...

Or so they say.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Jun 2009, 20:23
Or so they say.

So say we all!!! :D

imported_van_HellSing
6th Jun 2009, 20:33
Meaning who?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Jun 2009, 21:02
The crew on Battleship Galactica, of course! :p

imported_van_HellSing
6th Jun 2009, 21:06
Figures, a nonexistent crew of a nonexistent ship backs a nonexistent game. :P

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Jun 2009, 21:07
LOL, yeah. :D
But hey... they might be out there, somewhere. Just a long, long way away... and in another dimension. :cool:

PlasmaSnake101
6th Jun 2009, 21:16
with voyeuristic intention
Well-secluded, I see all
With a bit of a mind flip
You're there in the time slip
And nothing can ever be the same
You're spaced out on sensation, like you're under sedation
Let's do the Time Warp again!
:confused::confused::whistle:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Jun 2009, 21:32
Yeah, let's get all lyrical and celebrate time and space and the unknown. :D

I prefer The Prodigy's grittier song:

I’m gonna ascend to outer space – find another race
I’ll take your brain to another dimension
Pay close attention!!!

:cool:

PlasmaSnake101
6th Jun 2009, 21:33
Yeah, let's get all lyrical and celebrate time and space and the unknown. :D

I prefer The Prodigy's grittier song:

I’m gonna ascend to outer space – find another race
Pay close attention!!!

:cool:

The Prodigy doesn't have transsexual aliens like "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" does. So I win :rasp:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Jun 2009, 21:36
The Prodigy doesn't have transsexual aliens like "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" does. So I win :rasp:
:eek:

Yes, each to his own. I'm all for that. :D

lightbetsoin
10th Jun 2009, 20:13
Well we know that there is not another good thing except for the conversation system, big world, choices and consequences and some other things (and we dont know them for sure, they could be there just for the marketing) We know that studios that produce new exciting things dont keep them secret! They advertise on them!On the other hand EM will not say anything about the game, even after 55 members voted for more news.

On the other hand we have plenty of bad things already. No skills, health regen, one ammo type per weapon...

The only reason i can think of is they dont want any bad publicity. They are going to turn the game to a crap fps with dialogs ala fallout 3 "PLEASE TELL ME WHERE HE IS, I MISS HIM SO MUCH!" (real dialog option) and dont want people to talk about it.

We have been fed lies about a dev blog, that never came.
They were supposed to let us communicate with the stuff, but they dont even have a DIALOG about health regeneration ("We like this because a,b,c and thats final. If you dont like it dont buy it!" "But thats overkill, you could fix the problems a,b,c with x and stay closer to the original" "silence" "anybody there?")

I am worried, what is the big bad news that they are so afraid of telling? Something worse than health regen? I hope not, but i am not so sure.

what else are you hiding , guys? what could be worse than no skills, health regen, one ammo type per weapon ?

PenguinsFriend
10th Jun 2009, 21:08
I'm actually working on one right now. :p

That's great, Mr. K. Can you please give us a release date then? also, no heaqlth regen or universial ammo please.

Also, we want... lol

Spyhopping
14th Jun 2009, 02:07
I've been feeling pretty patient about the lack of news, I want them to get on with the game, of course. There isn't much point in talking about it, as it won't change anything- but now it's really starting to get to me. How long has it been without hardly a whisper? :(

rokstrombo
14th Jun 2009, 03:38
Aww, it'll be ok guys :group_hug:

FrankCSIS
14th Jun 2009, 06:16
Aww, it'll be ok guys :group_hug:

A group hug can only sustain me for so long.

rokstrombo
14th Jun 2009, 08:12
I think I know what you're getting at, but I don't swing that way I'm afraid :D

Spyhopping
14th Jun 2009, 09:17
A group hug can only sustain me for so long.

I think I know what you're getting at, but I don't swing that way I'm afraid :D

I don't think there's a smiley for that anyway :D

phlebas
14th Jun 2009, 10:03
Lack of news makes me nervous.... But then I guess it can't really be helped.

K^2
14th Jun 2009, 10:47
I don't think there's a smiley for that anyway :D
You'd be surprised. Mostly, unpleasantly.

FrankCSIS
14th Jun 2009, 16:42
I'd rather not tread on smiley territory.

It gets scary at night.

AaronJ
14th Jun 2009, 21:16
Game's cancelled boys.

Malah
14th Jun 2009, 21:37
Game's cancelled boys.

Phew.

Ashpolt
14th Jun 2009, 22:36
Game's cancelled boys.

http://www.files.cosmicduck.net/partycat01.gif

While googling "party" for this image, I came to the startling realisation that the internet is even more porn-filled than I realised. :hmm:

AaronJ
15th Jun 2009, 01:43
While googling "party" for this image, I came to the startling realisation that the internet is even more porn-filled than I realised. :hmm:

I'm not going to google that.

OH MY THAT'S JUST INAPPROPRIATE

imported_van_HellSing
18th Jun 2009, 19:59
René was browsing the forum earlier today. I sent him a visitor message that we miss him. Looks like I scared him off.

Jerion
18th Jun 2009, 20:02
René was browsing the forum earlier today. I sent him a visitor message that we miss him. Looks like I scared him off.

:lol:

René
18th Jun 2009, 21:43
I am lurking. :wave:

SemiAnonymous
18th Jun 2009, 21:46
I am lurking. :wave:

Rene is back!
Quick, someone lock the doors!

René
18th Jun 2009, 21:56
Wish I had more to say right now but I don't have the greenlight to do so.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Jun 2009, 22:08
Rene is back!
Quick, someone lock the doors!

LOL. Good idea, but I expect Rene has a lockpick to hand anyway. :D

René
18th Jun 2009, 22:16
Lots going on behind the scenes, just nothing for public consumption at the moment!

Spyhopping
18th Jun 2009, 22:26
I wish we could just know how everything is feeling... Are things very positive and exciting, or just plain sailing and calm?

imported_van_HellSing
18th Jun 2009, 22:48
Lots going on behind the scenes, just nothing for public consumption at the moment!

I've got proof of aliens. But the world isn't ready yet.

Anyone believe me?

Spyhopping
19th Jun 2009, 00:18

Anyone believe me?

Perhaps if you show me some screenshots. ;)

PenguinsFriend
19th Jun 2009, 01:27

So by "nothing for public consumption" you are confirming that Adam is in fact French Canadian! I knew it, thanks Rene!

I'm going to post a press release to that affect tomorrow - keep alook out on Meltwater lol

Ahhh - I love the speculation - it's good to get the heart going!

;)

Jerion
19th Jun 2009, 02:29

Anyone believe me?

Pics or it didn't happen. :D

Ashpolt
19th Jun 2009, 08:58

Anyone believe me?

I believe you! I don't need proof so long as I have a song in my heart, and optimism in my mind! Doo-de-doo-doo...

DXeXodus
19th Jun 2009, 11:34
No problem. We are all entitled to our own way of thinking after all ;)

René
19th Jun 2009, 14:03
What we all really need is some Fruity Oaty Bars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doWOdB1d0mg

Jerion
19th Jun 2009, 17:07
What we all really need is some Fruity Oaty Bars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doWOdB1d0mg

Damn subliminal messaging...

imported_van_HellSing
19th Jun 2009, 17:12
I don't think there's any subliminal message in there. I don't think there's any message at all there. It's more like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5oF423GIIs)

SageSavage
19th Jun 2009, 17:30
Oh my... now we're discussing commercials. I need a break and get me some of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQz_xXOydqg

Jerion
19th Jun 2009, 21:04
I don't think there's any subliminal message in there. I don't think there's any message at all there. It's more like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5oF423GIIs)

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/img/facepalm.jpeg

You completely missed the reference. Completely. Fail.

ArcR
20th Jun 2009, 01:58
Watch Serenity... better yet watch Firefly which is on Hulu.

imported_van_HellSing
20th Jun 2009, 05:43
You completely missed the reference. Completely. Fail.

Missing a reference and not playing along with one are two different things.

Jerion
20th Jun 2009, 22:18
Ah. My mistake. :)

SemiAnonymous
22nd Jun 2009, 06:22
I ended up buying two of the posters and got the 3rd poster free, I couldn't resist.

I'm a weak man :(

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Jun 2009, 18:08
No, not weak... you got style, you got class. :cool: :D

DXeXodus
23rd Jun 2009, 11:13
Oh, agreed. Most definitely. I'd love to have those posters.

Jerion
23rd Jun 2009, 16:33
Oh, agreed. Most definitely. I'd love to have those posters.

A bit expensive to ship to you?

El_Bel
23rd Jun 2009, 17:02
VicMackey's post had nothing to do with my thread and there was no reson to close a whole thread because one member got out of line. VicMackey should be warned and have his message delete and if he continued he should be baned.

I have to say that for the first and i hope for the last time in my life, i have saw a topic getting closed because a member wrote something stupid and i can assure you i have visited many forums.

Maybe eidos should choose its moderators more based on their experience on running a forum and less on their being super supportive of their games? Not that they cant make someone who is very supportive of their games a moderator, but it should come with experience as well.

I am expecting the topic to get unlocked within the day, because the conversation in there is not done and because its purpose has not been fulfilled yet.

DenisFC
23rd Jun 2009, 18:07
El_Bel, just relax, or maybe this thread will be closed too ;)

But, guys, take it easy whit the game (After all, that was just a game...). I don't know, go play outside ? Sometime, that's just pathetic here.

And think about it, just Mr.K have seen the game here... So, it's the only guy who can critique the game now. (Which he just can do in his head, because of the NDA ;))

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jun 2009, 18:44
VicMackey's post had nothing to do with my thread and there was no reson to close a whole thread because one member got out of line. VicMackey should be warned and have his message delete and if he continued he should be baned.

I have to say that for the first and i hope for the last time in my life, i have saw a topic getting closed because a member wrote something stupid and i can assure you i have visited many forums.

Maybe eidos should choose its moderators more based on their experience on running a forum and less on their being super supportive of their games? Not that they cant make someone who is very supportive of their games a moderator, but it should come with experience as well.

I am expecting the topic to get unlocked within the day, because the conversation in there is not done and because its purpose has not been fulfilled yet.

I tried to be understanding of the situation with your questions thread. I already merged it once and you decided to make it an independent thread again... so I let it carry on, to try to be fair to you and others. Unfortunately, it turned into yet another rant and some people abused the intention behind it. That isn't my fault. It didn't just get locked because of Mackey, he was just the final spanner in the works. Furthermore, I sought other opinions before I acted, despite receiving very rude and childish PMs from Mackey - stuff you don't even know about, and don't need to. To conclude, the thread didn't work because hardly anyone used it to ask thoughtful and sensible questions. Furthermore, those questions will not get answered in any case, so that was another reason for closing the thread. EM are not ready to disclose any further information yet, as Rene has kindly pointed out on several occasions now.

I assume your comment about Eidos choosing moderators with experience on running a forum etc. is aimed at me? If so, please allow me reply to you. Firstly, I have many, many years of experience moderating forums and currently run five "official" forums and one unofficial one - so I have plenty of know-how. Also, I am not 'super supportive' of the game. Don't let the fact that I am not "super pessimistic" about DX3 confuse your understanding of me... and don't let the opinions of pessimistic posters cloud your judgement of me either. Seriously, there are other members here who are just as non-pessimistic as I, but for some reason all attention goes to me. I know not the reasons why this is so, perhaps its that shiny mod badge I'm wearing. Just pretend it isn't there. I am simply a fan of the game just like you guys and I choose not to draw negative conclusions until AFTER the game has been released and I have played it. If the game is cr@p, you can be sure I will write up my own very honest critique of it. But until such time, I really don't wish to rant and complain about things that remain just mere speculation.

I hope the above explains where I'm coming from and that I don't have to read more posts about me. Thank you. :)

Spyhopping
23rd Jun 2009, 20:50
The rants are getting tiring, snarky comments ceased being funny a long time ago. This is equally a place for positivity and negativity- but for either side of the coin, ranting is just a pain in the ass. If I didn't shut up about how much I absolutely loved Adam's hairstyle for instance (ok, bad example) and strongly opposed and made fun of everyone who thought differently- well, it would be really annoying and everyone would ignore my posts.

Also, I am not 'super supportive' of the game. Don't let the fact that I am not "super pessimistic" about DX3 confuse your understanding of me... and don't let the opinions of pessimistic posters cloud your judgement of me either. Seriously, there are other members here who are just as non-pessimistic as I, but for some reason all attention goes to me. I know not the reasons why this is so, perhaps its that shiny mod badge I'm wearing. Just pretend it isn't there. I am simply a fan of the game just like you guys and I choose not to draw negative conclusions until AFTER the game has been released and I have played it.

Yeah, I am feeling quite upbeat about the potential this game has too, even if current things have put a dampener on that. What should also be considered is that a prerequisite of being a moderator is being reasonable, and I honestly believe a very reasonable take on the 'DX3 situation' would leave you with an open mind and at least a pinch of optimism.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jun 2009, 22:47
Yeah, I am feeling quite upbeat about the potential this game has too, even if current things have put a dampener on that. What should also be considered is that a prerequisite of being a moderator is being reasonable, and I honestly believe a very reasonable take on the 'DX3 situation' would leave you with an open mind and at least a pinch of optimism.

Thank you. Yes, I should be reasonable in my mod duties on this board and I believe I am.
When I express my opinions, however, it is not done as a "moderator" but as a person like any other here, there is a distinction. In this context, my opinion has as much or as little value as any other, of course. :)

Spyhopping
23rd Jun 2009, 23:06
Yes, I should be reasonable in my mod duties on this board and I believe I am.

Yeah! As I said, the evidence is there- I think a reasonable attitude would tend to produce an optimistic outlook toward DX3 . :)

SemiAnonymous
24th Jun 2009, 02:34
I just noticed that every female on this board (that I am aware of) is quite optimistic for DX3

Jerion
24th Jun 2009, 03:24
Yep.

imported_van_HellSing
24th Jun 2009, 16:54
http://twitter.com/CNCGEEK101

Deus Ex 3 has been axed already. Development ceased on May 29th, 2009 as I'm being told.

DX3 needed a another 3 years of development in a huge nutshell.

I know this guy is a tester, so he probably knows what he's talking about.

SageSavage
24th Jun 2009, 16:59
http://twitter.com/CNCGEEK101

Uh... interesting but what makes you think that he is/was QA for EM?

imported_van_HellSing
24th Jun 2009, 17:04
Not saying he is. But he definitely is in the industry - I've had a chat with him yesterday regarding BioShock focus tests. Ended with me both believing him and blocking him from my own twitter account - he was one of the proponents of the dumbed down version we got.

SageSavage
24th Jun 2009, 17:05
Not saying he is. But he definitely is in the industry - I've had a chat with him yesterday regarding BioShock focus tests. Ended with me both believing him and blocking him from my own twitter account - he was one of the proponents of the dumbed down version we got.

Ok but frankly, I'd take that with a grain of salt... Too many people talk too much.

Spyhopping
24th Jun 2009, 17:15
Deus Ex 3 has been axed already. Development ceased on May 29th, 2009 as I'm being told.
DX3 needed a another 3 years of development in a huge nutshell.

Ugh, that made me feel horrible when I read that... I'm not going to assume it's true though, so here's hoping it's just a rumor.

FrankCSIS
24th Jun 2009, 17:19
I dare to hope we would have been informed if such were the case.

Otherwise, I would need a crate of tomatoes and make a ride downtown :whistle:

Seriously though, that's roughly a month ago, you'd think the web would have picked up on it, and I can't seem to find any sign of such news, aside from this twit.

SemiAnonymous
24th Jun 2009, 18:06
Seriously though, that's roughly a month ago, you'd think the web would have picked up on it, and I can't seem to find any sign of such news, aside from this twit.

would that be an insult or you shortening twitter?

Regardless, I don't buy it. Frankly, I don't want to believe it. I suspect that if the game was gone, we would have been told somehow, especially since thats suddenly an entire team with out a job and I doubt that would go unnoticed.

Spyhopping
24th Jun 2009, 18:14
would that be an insult or you shortening twitter?

Hah, potentially a very clever insult :p

Regardless, I don't buy it. Frankly, I don't want to believe it. I suspect that if the game was gone, we would have been told somehow, especially since thats suddenly an entire team with out a job and I doubt that would go unnoticed.

Yeah... and it would be a hell of a lot of money and years of work down the drain. I'm sure they would just release what they could in the end if things weren't keeping to theplan.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jun 2009, 18:36
I'm sure you guys already know this - but I don't believe for one minute that the game is scrapped. :D

Ashpolt
24th Jun 2009, 20:34
It'd make sense of the complete and utter lack of news, the poster giveaway and the fairly significant number of staff leavers, but I think we'd have heard about it now. If a game's been cancelled, I can't see any value in making people think it's still in development.

[EDIT] Surely this is one thing René can comment on?

[EDIT 2] I suppose one possibility is that Deus Ex 3 in its current form has been canned, but they plan on starting anew and hence don't want to announce the cancellation? Not likely - the cost would be massive - but it kind of makes sense. Kind of.

Anyone want to give EM a call? I would do, but I'm in the UK and it would cost a fortune. The number's +1 514-670-6300.

FrankCSIS
24th Jun 2009, 21:19
Not today anyway. It's the St-Jean-Baptiste, mang. Quebec's national holiday. Everyone is bound to be drunk by now, and gearing up to light some fires tonight.

Really though, what would you have us ask?

"Eidos Montreal, how may I help you?"

"Hello m'am, this is The Internet speaking. We are calling today to inquire on the status of one of your products currently in development."

"...Yes?"

"Our Twitter branch seems to indicate that Deus Ex 3 appears to have been canceled some 26 days ago. Any comments on the situation?"

Ashpolt
24th Jun 2009, 21:24
Eh, can't hurt. It's unlikely to get a response, but there's no harm to it.

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2009, 21:28
After years of development, they miss E3. The game clearly is in an awful development situation, and Eidos just got acquired by Square.

Usually when game companies are acquired, a lot of projects get canceled. Just look at Vivendi's games when Activision bought them. Square probably saw the game had a rough dev history and cut the losses.

Maybe they want to wait for Batman to be a huge success before they brake the news.

Bono
24th Jun 2009, 21:41
You know what? The weirdest (scariest!) thing is that Rene or somebody else from EM actually keep deadly silence on the topic.

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2009, 21:43
If you keep scrolling down on the Twitter, you see "Steve Disastrous" make the comment "Why go to E3 if you have nothing to show?"

At least two years and several millions of dollars later, and still nothing to show, in today's games industry (and economic condition) you'd better have something to show. If the game hasn't been canceled already, it's being sternly looked at by Square's bean counters.

SageSavage
24th Jun 2009, 21:53
You know what? The weirdest (scariest!) thing is that Rene or somebody else from EM actually keep deadly silence on the topic.

Give them some time. If this talk goes on and they really don't react, we might be on to something but right now this is only a conspiracy theory based on a Twitter-comment.

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2009, 21:55
Twitter is how we got most of our E3 info.

And big stories can come from small sources. The guy who broke the news about Bungie leaving Microsoft, for instance, was a complete nobody.

SageSavage
24th Jun 2009, 21:59
Everything's possible but I refuse to instantly believe everything some random guy wrote on the Internet and so should you.

imported_van_HellSing
24th Jun 2009, 21:59
If you keep scrolling down on the Twitter, you see "Steve Disastrous" make the comment "Why go to E3 if you have nothing to show?"

Err, what? That was my (Kodaemon) comment to D'astous saying he's leaving for E3.

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2009, 22:03
It's been two years. If we were getting screenshots, gameplay videos, developer diaries or even just have Rene post here, I would be less inclined to believe it.

But a lot of senior management on this game has moved on, they missed E3, there is no media for this game aside from concept artwork, they're giving away DX3 merchandise at the Eidos Store to clear inventory, and it's cancellation has already been suspected for a while now. That's why this Twitter has a lot more weight than "some random writing on the internet."

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2009, 22:04
Err, what? That was my (Kodaemon) comment to D'astous saying he's leaving for E3.
Sorry about that. I'm still new to the way Twitter's strange formatting works.

BTW, excellent job sticking it to "Disastrous."

imported_van_HellSing
24th Jun 2009, 22:15
OK did some research on René's posting habits lately. He was actually quite active here on May 29th, then went completely silent until July 18th, when I directly poked him. :/

FrankCSIS
24th Jun 2009, 22:36
I may make that telephone call after all :hmm:

Ashpolt
24th Jun 2009, 23:05
I believe Mr K has René's direct number.

Care to go on a mission, Sir K?

Spyhopping
24th Jun 2009, 23:07
We'll be seeing the number 29 everywhere now... Coincidence? René's been quiet for many long stretches recently.

This guy on twitter doesn't even state how reliable his information is. He's "being told"...? That could be anyone, he could be getting that information from his house-mate who saw some speculation online. It doesn't make it any more credible that there is a date in there.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jun 2009, 23:14
This is too funny! Some of you guys are so convincing...have you considered an acting profession? ;)
I'm really getting a sense that you are believing this rumour and are genuinely worried. :D

FrankCSIS
24th Jun 2009, 23:16
Let's not forget that 2 + 9 equals 11, and that September is the ninth month of the year.

I smell fire, boys.

Really though, there's some minor concern to be had, and so hopefully René will extinguish this one out.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jun 2009, 23:18
Really though, there's some minor concern to be had, and so hopefully René will extinguish this one out.

Is there any point, some here will still prefer not to believe him. :p

Spyhopping
24th Jun 2009, 23:36
Let's not forget that 2 + 9 equals 11, and that September is the ninth month of the year.

I smell fire, boys.

Woo, fireman René to the rescue.

Dear god, my sweater has 29 stripes on it. I'm going to have to take it off. Carefully.

WhatsHisFace
24th Jun 2009, 23:38
This is too funny! Some of you guys are so convincing...have you considered an acting profession? ;)
I'm really getting a sense that you are believing this rumour and are genuinely worried. :D

Let's look at Eidos's portfolio! :D:D:D:D:D

Mini Ninjas: Announced well after Deus Ex 3, made an E3 appearance, gameplay videos, screenshots and developer interviews galore. Set to release in September. ;););););)

Batman: Arkham Asylum: Announced August 2008 (almost a year after Deus Ex 3 was announced). We have had screenshots, gameplay videos, developer interviews, a huge E3 presence and the game is about to release in August. :D:D:D:D:D

Just Cause 2: Announced early last year, well after the announcement for Deus Ex 3. The game was shown E3 and is set to release at the end of the year. ;););););)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jun 2009, 23:46
Nice to see you using happy smilies. :)

I doubt it is cancelled, measuring stick or not.
DX3 and T4 are the red, juicy cherries on EM's cake, perhaps they want to spend more time decorating it. :rasp:

FrankCSIS
24th Jun 2009, 23:54
"This is the internet speaking.

We are calling today to inquire on the status of one your products currently being developed. There are alaraming news emanating from our twitter branch concerning events that may have happened on May 29th of this year, and the lack of communication is not helping the situation. If there are any comments emanating from Eidos Montreal concerning the matter, we can be reached at any time, with the use of a computer or a smart phone.

Thank you for your time, and have a great st-jean-baptiste."

Message left on the main answering machine, and a similar one to D'Astous voicemail.

Now we wait :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Jun 2009, 23:58
LOL. It would be funny if you get a reply.

BlazeL
25th Jun 2009, 01:57
Message left on the main answering machine, and a similar one to D'Astous voicemail.

Now we wait :D

It's a fairly drawn message, great :thumb:
I'm waiting impatiently for any kind of reaction.

Is there any point, some here will still prefer not to believe him. :p

"Ignorance is a blessing."

EDIT: Sometimes i wonder if Deus Ex 3 was some kind of breeding project for Thi4f.

Red
25th Jun 2009, 08:29
How can DX3 be dead? It has health regeneration! If it got hurt it'd regenerate right back to full HP, no worries.

Ashpolt
25th Jun 2009, 08:56
^^

J'approve. Trés drôle.

Still no news? I would've expected a denial by now. I know René's hands are tied in terms of talking about the details, but I'd've thought he could at least tell us if the game still exists or not!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Jun 2009, 09:12
Don't panic. Rene probably hasn't had the time to check in on the forum since this latest rumour sprung up. It was only yesterday, after all. ;)

Ashpolt
25th Jun 2009, 10:12
Not panicking (despite what my avatar might suggest,) just intrigued.

SageSavage
25th Jun 2009, 10:24
Rene wasn't logged in since yesterday morning, so no need to ask why he didn't respond yet.