PDA

View Full Version : Do you care for the game editor or not?

kin
20th May 2009, 05:30
For me it is the reason that thief lives today.

GmanPro
20th May 2009, 05:32
Please include an SDK with Thief 4 EM.

Espion
20th May 2009, 05:39
I don't mind if it's released with the game or after the game is out. Just so long as it's released!

Flashart
20th May 2009, 10:58
This is an area I'm passionate about. Thief FMs have done more to
keep the series alive than anything else. The levels of invention and creativity
shown are awe inspiring.
Also, the Thief community is a broad church so it would allow the creation
of styles and stories "outside" the usual series narrative.
Personally, I see this as a required element before multiplayer is even considered.
I'd point people in the direction of Neverwinter Nights 2 which has a great editor
with lots of features.

esme
20th May 2009, 12:33
I make fan missions .. ok well so far that should be "mission" singular

but I am making more and I can't do that without an editor

the fan missions are one of the biggest reasons we got T3, they kept the fan base going and generated demand, ok the Thief series has exellent replayability but ten years worth with no new content is a push for the best game, the fan missions allowed that new content to be created, and now we are starting to get T3 fan missions which will keep the game alive even more

to put it in marketing speak the Thief series has a long tail for revenue generation, releasing an editor makes that tail fatter and longer increasing revenue for little or no cost as it's the tool that was used to develop the game, fan missions are free publicity

Apprentice101
20th May 2009, 12:42
Actually editor=Thief. As long as single player goes - thief has awesome single player, but after replaying it in every possible way, theres none replaybility left. So yes, please include smart and relavitely user-friendly editor.

Bukary
20th May 2009, 13:59
Without the editor Thief 4, no matter how good it is, will die a slow and painful death.

EM, release the editor and many, many taffers will buy the game just for the sake of SDK. There are hundreds of Thief FM level designers and thousands of people playing FMs.

Myth
20th May 2009, 15:35
Without the editor Thief 4, no matter how good it is, will die a slow and painful death.

EM, release the editor and many, many taffers will buy the game just for the sake of SDK. There are hundreds of Thief FM level designers and thousands of people playing FMs. this

TafferPants
20th May 2009, 22:06
Of course include it :)
I just got into level editing and found it quite fun.

Petike the Taffer
20th May 2009, 22:44
It should be :

- included with the game (perhaps on a separate CD or on the same DVD)
- as user friendly as it can be
- open to easily adding custom content

GmanPro
20th May 2009, 23:19
The toolset should have a built in script editor.

Stath MIA
21st May 2009, 01:10
Having an editor is what sustained Thief for so long. No matter how incredible Thief 4 is, not having an editor on board will severely hurt its longevity.
BTW- Sup jtr. Nice to see a familiar face!

Corvin25
21st May 2009, 05:47
I can't edit levels to save my LIFE. -_-;

But the amount of user-made content would really make Thief 4 a much longer-lasting game. AND you might attract more buyers as well, who want more bang for their buck. ;)

1N54N3
21st May 2009, 22:15
I think I'd rather see EM do more mini campaigns in the form of DLC as so many Devs are doing these days. An Editor could be cool, but I think official DLC with new areas, missions, voice-overs, etc would out-do an editor :)

GmanPro
21st May 2009, 22:22
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Stath MIA
22nd May 2009, 02:57
I'd be ok with official DLC but I have to have an editor.

Unstoppable
22nd May 2009, 02:59
This should definitely be done but it can be released after the game is done.

Myth
22nd May 2009, 03:56
I think I'd rather see EM do more mini campaigns in the form of DLC as so many Devs are doing these days. An Editor could be cool, but I think official DLC with new areas, missions, voice-overs, etc would out-do an editor never! A gaming company can't afford to pay voice actors, level designers etc. to continuously produce quality content for a game that has already been released.

Have them make regular PATCHES in stead, to fix all the bugs and improve the gameplay, and let the fans make the maps. Also, a fan author can dedicate months, even years to his project. That's why FMs would be superior to any OMs the game comes with or are released later.

GmanPro
22nd May 2009, 04:07
DLC would be a travesty. EM should consider making a high quality expansion pack instead. I like the idea of experiencing the events of the game through another character, ie Opposing Force/Blue Shift.

1N54N3
22nd May 2009, 04:21
I'd be ok with official DLC but I have to have an editor.

True, I guess both would make everyone happy :P

kin
22nd May 2009, 06:59
Seriously an editor will make people buy the game and not just rent it to play it and forget about it in a month.

Durinda D'Bry
26th May 2009, 12:15
I voted "yes" but having in mind that it is definitely OK to release editor some time after game release. In case of hurry (and it always happen) better give chance to developers more time to work on game not SDK. I don't think that even half year delay with editor will make it's release less useful for community. But of course I hope we could get it as soon as possible:)

tyrarius
17th Oct 2010, 12:20
I think it would be nice to have a Mission-Creator in Thief 4, so everyone can make his or her own missions to play. But this has to be connected with a Level-Editor, because when you only have a few Level-Locations to choose, it would be a little boring after a while. So you could create Levels and objectives for them, place the loot.
That would be awesome, wouldn't it?
So, to extend this, everyone could upload his/her created missions on the Thief4 Website, so everyone could play it!
And i've got another idea, coming from mission creating and so on.
I don't wanna be hasty with that, but i think it would be nice to give some bonus missions in form of an addon.(for main-story, or maybe a little side-story) I think, if someone played this game through it wouldn't be that attractive anymore to play it a second time. (me excluded, i could play it a 100 times ;)) And this would be nice for the developers, because they have still a way to earn some money for their game.

At this point i want to apologize for my bad english, sorry if you didnt't understand everything or thought "dude, what grammar is he using?".

Greetings from Germany,

Tyrarius

Aceyalone7777
17th Oct 2010, 13:24
First things first... Welcome to our joyful forum Tyranius. Here you will found flowers, happy and smiling all day. It's nice having more members day bay day.
(I hope you cannot sense my trickstery here...it's well hidden below some serious words)

Anyhow, that would be a Thief's dream come true... trust me.. And I saw in the Thief's job listings once about asking for a member that could maintain the.. "mod community". Well, since Thief has been amongst the most active communites EVER, I think a Lever Editor is mandatory.

However what was I thinking was an easier way to implement those missions in-game. In Thief 1+2 we had to use external programs to make it right. I was hoping Thief 4 would have a menu, probably entitled "extras" or "user levels" or something else, that if you put the level files under a certain directory, they would show up in that menu. So playing a game would be easy-peasy.

(Dude, your grammar is very nice, no worries. If you don't understand me however... eer I don't know... just ask me again or use Google's translator...)

tyrarius
17th Oct 2010, 14:43
It's nice to see, that you agree with me, Aceyalone7777.
That would give the game so much potential to be one of the best stealth games ever!
(although i think it IS the best stealth game ever, haha ;))
I hope the developers are taking this to heart. (still can't wait for this game to be released)

and btw: Google Translator sucks! :D

Vae
17th Oct 2010, 19:43
Yes, a level editor is a must for T4...and welcome to the forum tyrarius...:)

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88885

Heavy Rain
18th Oct 2010, 07:03
Level editor would definitely extend the life of base Thief game, no doubt. But they do not have to include it on the game discs and could make it available as a separate download, for those who are interested.

JFSOCC
18th Oct 2010, 10:30
I think that's the one thing everybody agrees on. Yay for (legal) Modding tools!

Tryst
19th Oct 2010, 07:46
However what was I thinking was an easier way to implement those missions in-game. In Thief 1+2 we had to use external programs to make it right. I was hoping Thief 4 would have a menu, probably entitled "extras" or "user levels" or something else, that if you put the level files under a certain directory, they would show up in that menu. So playing a game would be easy-peasy.
/signed.

A level editor would probably be the most welcome addition to Thief that it's ever had. In addition to the idea above, it would make modding really easy for most people. All it would need is a map editor and script/event editor. It's a great way of keeping the game alive for a long time because there will always be new player missions to download.

I read some time back that there was going to be a game with a few very basic levels and a map editor and script editor. It didn't have a title since it was still just a project. The idea was that players would create more complex levels for it but the preset levels were just to give you a taste of the game. Not sure what happened to the game though, I think it got shelved. Pity because it would have set a standard for modding games.

Aceyalone7777
19th Oct 2010, 17:18
I want to see however if this feature will be implemented in the PS3, Xbox360 versions also. Assuming of course they make them...

AlexOfSpades
19th Oct 2010, 17:51
I want to see however if this feature will be implemented in the PS3, Xbox360 versions also. Assuming of course they make them...

I dont think it would be implemented at all.

Oblivion was in Xbox for example, but only in the computer it had the Editor version.
Unreal Tournament was also in Dreamcast, but UnrealED, only for computer users.

Oh my god it was tough to beat Xan in UT, using Dreamcast controller.

TH1EF
20th Oct 2010, 08:57
We are a creative lot us gamers, so provide us with a full editor for T4 please.

Hypevosa
20th Oct 2010, 18:37
I dont think it would be implemented at all.

Oblivion was in Xbox for example, but only in the computer it had the Editor version.
Unreal Tournament was also in Dreamcast, but UnrealED, only for computer users.

Oh my god it was tough to beat Xan in UT, using Dreamcast controller.

It would have to be set up like Forge and Custom games are in halo 3 and halo reach. I've actually been drafting up how it could work, but I'm wondering if it would truly be worth implementing.

If they made the editor I'm drafting up right now, they could actually use it to create all the levels in the game - them just adding sound files, textures, and unique objects/loots where necessary.

FluffyGryphon
22nd Oct 2010, 13:52
An editor is important to me. It doesn't have to be released on the disks, but at some point. I get my creative streaks and would love to create my own maps with puzzles, traps and stuffs with a new editor. :3

Rockn-Roll
25th Oct 2010, 16:15
An SDK is definitely not useful at all with the initial release of the game. There were about 25 Fan Missions (FMs) available within a year after the Thief Dark Engine SDK was released, but none of them had a very good design and hence not much fun, and they were extremely short. I made one myself and didn't see enough demand to continue...there were less than 100 downloads of the Fan Missions even after 3 years of the FM releases. It is fun to play with the game editor, but there just is not enough demand to warrant including it in the initial release.

I have not checked in the last 5 years so there may be some that are decent now. But, my point is that it's not necessary to hold up release of Thi4f so that an SDK is built, compiled, and tested to include in the initial release of the game. I think it's very nice to put together an SDK and include it in a patch perhaps a year or two after the game release.

Fizbop
8th Mar 2011, 00:52
I voted yes, I would love to make my own environment and missions. To share with other players.

Tiens
10th Mar 2011, 06:27
Game editor keeps the game alive, so I vote "YES". I don't care, which exactly way it would be released, but definitely the editor should be generally accessible. I make missions for TDS, and I'll be twice happier if I could make missions for Thief 4 too. :thumb:

xAcerbusx
10th Mar 2011, 06:32
No excuse not to do it, really.

Dragon Age: Origins showed that the idea of releasing a level editor on the disc isn't dead, either. It's as popular as ever.