PDA

View Full Version : Board of Directors

Smooogy
19th May 2009, 13:54
I read this morning that Square Enix owns Eidos Montreal, or at least a huge chunk of it... Is that true? If so, :eek: Let's hope Garrett isn't replaced by some spikey haired cloud look alike from a final fantasy game!

Incredibly ambitious sounds great, but I wonder.

Myth
19th May 2009, 13:59
Usually the people owning a company don't try to run it in to the ground, they try to make money off of it. And they are not retarded, they would listen to the project managers and art directors and all the people that KNOW what thief is (since the big shots above most probably don't, they care about numbers only).

imported_van_HellSing
19th May 2009, 14:31
Are Quentin Tarantino's movies all family-friendly fun, with Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck? No? Gee, that's weird, since Miramax is owned by Disney.

Smooogy
19th May 2009, 15:34
Plenty of smart ass responses... but its a valid concern

Myth
19th May 2009, 15:38
No it's not you obviously don't know how the corporate system works.

Smooogy
19th May 2009, 15:42
No it's not you obviously don't know how the corporate system works.

........ LoL You moron I'm an accountant. I see the corporate structure every day. Where do you work? oh right... you don't - spend all your time in mama's basement.

Ahem. owned

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
19th May 2009, 15:51
Wow Smooogy that was a lame thing to say.

You must work for a-hole inc.

Smooogy
19th May 2009, 15:54
At least I work somewhere

Espion
19th May 2009, 16:05
At least I work somewhere

Given the current global financial situation I'd like to point out that that isn't a very nice thing to say... Especially since I was made redundant as a result (of the crisis) and am now out of work :hmm:

I believe Squeenix bought Eidos because for a while they've been interested in making more of a mark in the Western world (beyond Final Fantasy sales.) This is apparent in their new cross-platform attitude, amongst other things.

The reason they specifically chose Eidos is probably because of the number of attractive IPs that come with the buy.

The chances of them taking an active role in the management of Eidos is slim, beyond offering financial support for a number of new projects based on previously successful IPs. It would be nice to think that the CEO of Squeenix is a Thief fan and he's behind making a new game that's true to the originals, but that's just my wishful thinking.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
19th May 2009, 16:25
Hey Espion, you ever watch that Twilight Zone episode where the librarian was made 'obsolete' so they 'liquidated' him? That was crazy:nut: They were all chanting "Obsolete! Obsolete! Obsolete!" If I'm ever fired I'd like to be carried out with a bunch of people chanting like that. It would be quite the spectacle.

I wonder if Japan ever saw/appreciated the Thief games. As far as I know many western games don't do to well over there.:hmm:

Myth
19th May 2009, 16:28
........ LoL You moron I'm an accountant. I see the corporate structure every day. Where do you work? oh right... you don't - spend all your time in mama's basement.

Ahem. owned

Hahah I do work and I'm not American even if the company i work for is based in the US. You assume too much (especially about who you "owned") and the namecalling makes you look childish even if you boast with maturity... If anyone can mess T4 it's the developers/publishers, by trying to please a larger crowd, stretch it over several platforms or rush the deadlines. The board of directors is the least of my worries.

Espion
19th May 2009, 16:39
If I'm ever fired I'd like to be carried out with a bunch of people chanting like that. It would be quite the spectacle.

Lol... I suppose it would lighten the moment.

As far as my leaving went, it was a very by the books redundancy.

Boss: "So, the companies going to go insolvent unless we make just about everyone redundant. Do you have any good reason why we should keep you on?"

Me: "You haven't paid me in two months so I'm thinking no."

Two weeks after I left the company went insolvent anyway :rolleyes:

I wonder if Japan ever saw/appreciated the Thief games. As far as I know many western games don't do to well over there.:hmm:

I'd really doubt it because at the time first person games were almost completely avoided in Japan. Halo 3 is probably the highest selling FPS over there, though I have no way of knowing for sure since I wasn't really reading sales figures from Japan when Thief came out :D

Still, maybe he's an exception to the rule and he's sitting there in his office, wearing his Garrett outfit whilst browsing this forum, hiding in the corner whenever anyone enters his office... Blackjacking anyone who brings bad news... You never know :D

Belboz
19th May 2009, 17:46
Well the japanese fan missions that have been released have always been extremely complicated and mostly very large, so it was released there and obviously influenced some people there to make fan missions.

WVI
19th May 2009, 18:41

Well then.

Espion
20th May 2009, 07:12
Well the japanese fan missions that have been released have always been extremely complicated and mostly very large, so it was released there and obviously influenced some people there to make fan missions.

Cool. I guess it reached some people then :D

Now I really need to get the old games working again so I can check these missions out. What are they called so I can find them faster?

terry31
5th Jun 2009, 09:02
Given the current global financial situation I'd like to point out that that isn't a very nice thing to say... Especially since I was made redundant as a result (of the crisis) and am now out of work :hmm:

I believe Squeenix bought Eidos because for a while they've been interested in making more of a mark in the Western world (beyond Final Fantasy sales.) This is apparent in their new cross-platform attitude, amongst other things.

The reason they specifically chose Eidos is probably because of the number of attractive IPs that come with the buy.

The chances of them taking an active role in the management of Eidos is slim, beyond offering financial support for a number of new projects based on previously successful IPs. It would be nice to think that the CEO of Squeenix is a Thief fan and he's behind making a new game that's true to the originals, but that's just my wishful thinking.

Alternative energy sources are, I think,
and there is that direction which will deduce the world from crisis.
The epoch of oil and gas monopolies will end.

Hypevosa
5th Jun 2009, 09:41
Hey Espion, you ever watch that Twilight Zone episode where the librarian was made 'obsolete' so they 'liquidated' him? That was crazy:nut: They were all chanting "Obsolete! Obsolete! Obsolete!" If I'm ever fired I'd like to be carried out with a bunch of people chanting like that. It would be quite the spectacle.

wow, I actually have seen that one... O.O what are the chances considering I wasn't born when that was aired.

huzi73
5th Jun 2009, 09:51
This probably belongs in the general discussion thread..
Quite pointless if you ask me..

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
6th Jun 2009, 01:10
wow, I actually have seen that one... O.O what are the chances considering I wasn't born when that was aired.

heh me neither. I like to watch old television. Beats most of the crap on tv now anyways.

Neb
6th Jun 2009, 01:29
heh me neither. I like to watch old television. Beats most of the crap on tv now anyways.

Haha, so how's this television thing you mention? I think I vaguely remember them.