PDA

View Full Version : What would you say are the must have Batman graphic novels and stories?

Zombie-Gamer
18th May 2009, 15:51
I have been a Batman fan for a while but I’ve been limited to the movies and the animated series and I’d like to spread my wings and get some graphic novels so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

artyfin
18th May 2009, 15:53
The Killing Joke.

An absolute essential for any Batman Fan. I remember being amazed when I read it. A beautifully graphic and shocking story.

I need to get my hands on the Arkham Asylum graphic novel aswell.

Drazar
18th May 2009, 15:56
Arkham Asylum: Serious House on a serious earth
Batman: The Killing Joke
Batman: Year One
The Dark Knight Returns

Those are a must have. I would mention more but im just gonna go with the definition of a: must have.

crazeyez
18th May 2009, 16:11
I am sooooo glad that films like 300 and Sin City have sparked off this whole graphic novel phenomenon!!!! So many people are getting into it these days... it makes me so happy!

There are stacks of novels coming out at the moment... but as noted... The Killing Joke is one of the best. I think that there is another one coming out soon which is a collection of most of the Batman v Joker comics... but I can't for the life of me think what it is right now!

You should check out the Goon novels if you get a chance. Very film noir... if you are into that sort of thing!

It depends on your tastes though.... as some of them are really old skool looking!

DarkKnightDanny
18th May 2009, 16:28
well id reccommend hush vol 1 & 2

dark victory.
long halloween

thing is with killing joke,its quite expensive...and i finished in in about 20 mins..
its a great comic and a great origin story,the art work is superb but id get that after you have a few more under your belt

EliteF50
18th May 2009, 16:34
Arkham Asylum: Serious House on a serious earth
The Dark Knight Returns

Those. ^

Zombie-Gamer
18th May 2009, 16:38
Cool thanks everyone, those are now on my list with a load of others I think I'm up to about 25 now....... I gonna need to get a job as soon as I can walk properly again. :D
I'll hopfully should have them by the event in London, which I hope all of you in the UK will be at.

Jason Todd
18th May 2009, 16:41
The Man Who Laughs
The Knightfall Trilogy
Hush Vol. 1 & 2. and Heart of Hush

Everyone else beat me to the rest

DarkKnightDanny
18th May 2009, 16:49
The Man Who Laughs
The Knightfall Trilogy
Hush Vol. 1 & 2. and Heart of Hush

Everyone else beat me to the rest

see,im tryi8ng to get my hands on the knightfall story arc but everysite i go on, its like 16 comics long? is there a collection of them all in one book i could get?

Drazar
18th May 2009, 16:51
Knightfall part 1, 2, 3.

Part one: Broken Bat
Part two: Who rules the night
Part three: Knightsend

supermanslayer
18th May 2009, 17:01
not including knightfall. my all-time favourite batman stories is jeph loebs 'hush' brilliant writing, and you get to see a glimpse of bruce waynes childhood. also the art is amazing by jim lee.

Drazar
18th May 2009, 17:03
Only gringe i have with Hush is the horrible characterization he had, it was basicly: hurr hurr Bruce, because my mother didn't die i hate you, hurr hurr i will commit murders and so on because i hate you for what your parents did, hurr hurr

Luckily Paul Dini made his characterization much better in Heart of Hush, which is a must read if you have gotten Hush.

DarkKnightDanny
18th May 2009, 17:05
not including knightfall. my all-time favourite batman stories is jeph loebs 'hush' brilliant writing, and you get to see a glimpse of bruce waynes childhood. also the art is amazing by jim lee.

also, a tonne of villians in there including an awesome fight with the man of steel himself

AnimatedMonster
18th May 2009, 18:14
Year One
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
The Killing Joker
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman Arkham Asylum

heimbo
18th May 2009, 19:44
All are good so far, but although I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the others listed read "A Death in the Family." It's one of the most significant events in the Batman mythos so it helps to understand that run because its mentioned in so many others.

Jason Todd
18th May 2009, 19:51
All are good so far, but although I didn't enjoy it as much as some of the others listed read "A Death in the Family." It's one of the most significant events in the Batman mythos so it helps to understand that run because its mentioned in so many others.

Good call, that should definitely be read before Hush and some other books. And I honestly didnt care for the art in TDKR or Arkham Asylum but thats just me.

Hugo_Strange
18th May 2009, 21:16
also, a tonne of villians in there including an awesome fight with the man of steel himself

That fight is something I would love to have translated to a videogame someday; MK vs. DC just doesn't do it for me...

Abeja
18th May 2009, 21:21
Actually, Death in the Family is kinda pointless now that Jason Todd was resurrected. Does Batman still feel he failed Jason?

Batman and the Monster Men
Batman and the Mad Monk (both written and drawn by Matt Wagner)

If you want something that is close to BTAS, then read these.

Reading order:
Year One
Batman and the Monster Men
Batman and the Mad Monk
The Man Who laughs

Also, Batman vs Grendel is by Wagner. I actually liked Grendel as a villain better than Hush.

Drazar
18th May 2009, 21:26
Actually, Death in the Family is kinda pointless now that Jason Todd was resurrected. Does Batman still feel he failed Jason?

Yes, because the fact he did get a Robin killed is a shattering thought, even tho Jason has returned.

Abeja
18th May 2009, 21:29
Yes, because the fact he did get a Robin killed is a shattering thought, even tho Jason has returned.

Yeah it might be, but noone has really explored it. Im very curious to find out what Batman said to Jason in his farewell message. It seemed to have pissed Jason off to the point of being a murderous gunslinging Batman.

KillerCroc
18th May 2009, 21:33
Year One
Scarecrow and Two-Face Year One
Harley Quinn; Preludes and Knock-Knock Jokes
Everything is great what the others are recommending. Anybody know any good Azreal books besides Knightfall?

Abeja
18th May 2009, 21:34

Yeah it might be, but noone has really explored it. Im very curious to find out what Batman said to Jason in his farewell message. It seemed to have pissed Jason off to the point of being a murderous gunslinging Batman.

Drazar
18th May 2009, 21:37

Yeah seems so, i mean to me he is a kid who lost his father (Bruce) because Batman had his no gun moral, so he is angrily murdering criminals who are responsoble for his father's death and so forth. I also believe Jason is the Satan Batman from #666 as he states: We are both the sons of Batman. It can't be Michael Lane as he became the new Azrael and gets his new mini in Fall.

Abeja
18th May 2009, 21:43
I loved issue #666. My favorite out of Morrisons run. They also said a Batman died, which most assume is **** Grayson if he becomes the next Batman. I havent read the Azrael BFTC. I heard it one of the better tie-ins for this event.

In the new Batman and Robin comic, those little dolls return too which i think is cool.

KillerCroc
18th May 2009, 21:44
Yeah seems so, i mean to me he is a kid who lost his father (Bruce) because Batman had his no gun moral, so he is angrily murdering criminals who are responsoble for his father's death and so forth. I also believe Jason is the Satan Batman from #666 as he states: We are both the sons of Batman. It can't be Michael Lane as he became the new Azrael and gets his new mini in Fall. It's not a mini though, it said "Azreal coming this fall", so I think it's a series. I don't like the fact of the whole Azreal, but he is an interesting character if done right. I really don't like the art done in the BFTC Azreal.

Drazar
18th May 2009, 21:48
Nightwing was too much of a kid, the covers were better in my eyes than the painted art on the comic itself. I love the design because its very Templar. And being a fan of "Kingdom of Heaven" movie and "Assassin's Creed" i gotta squee like a girl for it. + He gets the sword of sin and the sword of purity now. :O

NotNamedJohn
18th May 2009, 21:59
The Long Halloween
A Death in the Family
The Killing Joke
The Man Who Laughs
Venom
Son of the Demon
Gotham by Gaslight
Mad Love
Black and White
Blind Justice
Dark Victory
Arkham Asylum
The Dark Knight Returns

KillerCroc
18th May 2009, 22:03
Nightwing was too much of a kid, the covers were better in my eyes than the painted art on the comic itself. I love the design because its very Templar. And being a fan of "Kingdom of Heaven" movie and "Assassin's Creed" i gotta squee like a girl for it. + He gets the sword of sin and the sword of purity now. :O I like the design just not the whole color and the way its drawn. The Templar thing is cool.

Jason Todd
18th May 2009, 22:04
You guys are giving out TONS of spoilers in a thread about someone asking about good graphic novels, but yeah, I also didnt care much for the art in the Azrael BFTC books...but I cant wait til wednesday for BFTC 3 of 3

KillerCroc
18th May 2009, 22:06
You guys are giving out TONS of spoilers in a thread about someone asking about good graphic novels, but yeah, I also didnt care much for the art in the Azrael BFTC books...but I cant wait til wednesday for BFTC 3 of 3 Not really, we don't give out the plot, didn't Jean Paul Valley already "die", so is that suprising?

Drazar
18th May 2009, 22:10
Nah Jean Paul is in comic limbo, he can't be brought back due to legal issues. Also were practically talking about "Battle for the Cowl" which isnt really a must buy unless your already familiar with DC + Batman universe and its story as of late. :P

NotNamedJohn
18th May 2009, 22:12
Death of Innocents was a good one, too, don't know how I forgot that one. It's a public service announcement on landmines, and it is really amazing.

The Comedian
18th May 2009, 22:32
Batman: The Long Halloween
Batman: Haunted Knight
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Joker
Batman: Knightfall 1 2 3
Hush 1 2

Zombie-Gamer
18th May 2009, 22:34
You guys are giving out TONS of spoilers in a thread about someone asking about good graphic novels, but yeah, I also didnt care much for the art in the Azrael BFTC books...but I cant wait til wednesday for BFTC 3 of 3

its ok, i'm not new to batman so i know a bit of what happens in the novels like what happens to jason todd and other stuff.

NotNamedJohn
8th Jun 2009, 07:10
The Man Who Falls
Blind Justice
Year One
The Man Who Laughs
The Long Halloween
Birth of the Demon
Tales of the Demon
Son of the Demon
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
The Killing Joke
A Death in the Family
Death of Innocents
The Last Arkham
Venom
Mad Love

Approximately in that order, I think, though two or three of them are of questionable canonicity, or just plain non-canon altogether. Doesn't affect their excellence as a Batman story, though. ;)