PDA

View Full Version : VOICE ACTORS: STEPHEN RUSSELL must be Garrett - Other actors - all discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Malau
18th May 2009, 10:18
If and when Garrett returns as the main protagonist in T4, I hope that other members on here will agree that ONLY the great Stephen Russell should play the part ?

Not Jason Statham, Not Vin Diesel and definately NOT Joey Travolta ! :lmao:

__

*Moderator Edit*

UPDATES

Thief 4: Returning Voice Actors Important
11 May 2009 at 15:49:29 by Tim McDonald

Stéphane D'Astous has told us that getting the same voice actors back for Thief 4 is something that Eidos-Montreal are taking "very seriously."

We spoke to D'Astous, the general manager of Eidos-Montreal, shortly after this afternoon's announcement that Thief 4 is in the works.

While he was reluctant to talk about the specifics of plot, setting, and the like, when we asked whether or not Eidos-Montreal was trying to get in touch with the original voice cast for recurring characters, D'Astous responded as follows:

"Something that is extremely clear in the forums and in the comments from the fans is to re-use the voice of Garrett, and this is obviously something that we'll consider very seriously."

This isn't exactly a confirmation that we're going to see Garrett back in the game, but if recurring characters are even a possibility, I'd guess that we'll be stealing stuff from the same time period. Considering the fan adoration for Garrett and the amount of attention D'Astous is paying to what people want, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to assume the master thief will at the very least make an appearance.

Source: http://www.incgamers.com/News/16334/Thief4ReturningVoiceActorsImportant

Espion
18th May 2009, 10:20
I don't know... Christopher Walken would make an interesting choice... He has inventive ways of hiding loot (Watch Pulp Fiction ;)) and he'd deliver the lines in that special way of his :D

Oh... And before the angry mob turns up at my door, I. Am. Joking. O_O

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th May 2009, 11:10
If and when Garrett returns as the main protagonist in T4, I hope that other members on here will agree that ONLY the great Stephen Russell should play the part ?

Not Jason Statham, Not Vin Diesel and definately NOT Joey Travolta ! :lmao:

New member, first post. Mmmm... :scratch:

Stephen... is that you? :eek:

I jest. :D
Of course we agree that Stephen Russell should play the part of Garrett. :thumb:

Platinumoxicity
18th May 2009, 12:25
Change voice actor = Change main character
but anyway: Martin Sheen? - Remember "Apocalypse Now"? :)

TheJoker
18th May 2009, 12:42
Only Russell can do it, I can't possibly see anyone else taking on the same task. Perhaps it is the fact that I'm a bit conservative and not to keen to see so many changes, but I truly believe that no one will be able to perform as well as him.

I'm afraid that EM perhaps might want to use someone who is a bit more recognized to make it more attractive for newcomers. I sure hope it won't come to that though.

Jilly The Taffer
18th May 2009, 13:09
In DP and MA, Garrett was hidden from us. First Person view and a silhouette in cutscenes.

All we had from Garrett was his voice. Don't take it away from him and replace it with a strangers vocals.

Because I won't believe the new voice to be Garrett, I'll accuse the new thief as an...imposter.

Immano
18th May 2009, 13:22
Clearly (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=990929#post990929).

HellionKal
18th May 2009, 16:23
A DEFINITE given, no-one could possibly replace Russell and a possible non-inclusion of his in the game would SERIOUSLY hurt it as a sequel as far as I'm concerned.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th May 2009, 13:33
Change voice actor = Change main character

Or, if Garrett is not our protagonist (I hate to even suggest it... :( ) then the formula remains the same:

Change main character = Change voice actor.

In which case, it would not be Stephen.

Myth
19th May 2009, 13:46
This was #2 on my own list, so i'd be damned if i did not agree. Stephen for President! Wait.. Well anyway Stephen for Garrett! Further more, the voice talent in the series stretches further - for example, George Leodux was present in TDS, i love his work from Majesty, so i'd be happy if he returned as well.

Petike the Taffer
19th May 2009, 13:52
Russell IS Garrett. Nuff said.

As for the others, at least Dan Thron (and maybe Terri Brosius and Nate Wells) should be considered. The return of the other voice actors from the series is fully optional...

Russell and Thron voice so many interesting and important characters - both major and minor - that any installement of Thief wouldn't really feel complete without their input. One example for all : Benny (dumb guard - Russell) and Nick (smart guard - Thron) - their voices and style of talk are truely iconic. :)

Myth
19th May 2009, 14:49
Uh, i always thought the smart guard's name was Mortimer?

Ishikawa
19th May 2009, 15:10
Russel is Garrett period! I agree with the formula Change Voice <=> Change Main Character
Simple as that!

MasterTaffer
19th May 2009, 17:06
Voice actors really seem to define the charecter in stealth games, it seems:

Stephen Russell as Garrett
Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher
David Bateson as Agent 47
David Hayter as Solid Snake

If any of these charecters were voiced by someone else at some point, the fan community would declare it heresy. And this is one time I can agree with them. These voice actors truly make the charecters they play.

WVI
19th May 2009, 18:28
So guys, do you want Garrett to be voiced by Stephen Russell? I'm not sure you've made it clear enough.

[/justbeingajerk]

GmanPro
19th May 2009, 18:31
Stephen Russell IS Garrett. At night he dons his dark cape and prowls the city looking for loot.

WVI
19th May 2009, 18:34
"okay sir please just come with me, place both hands-"
"YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, THE KEEPERS ARE-"
"I understand sir, the nice men in coats will help you with that soon"
"LITTLE DO THEY KNOW THAT THERE'S PLENTY TO NAB AT THE ASYLUM"
"sir why are you yelling that out loud"

BlooferLady
19th May 2009, 19:59
I think we can just lay down a collective "HELL YES" at this point.... :)

MasterTaffer
19th May 2009, 20:04

Indeed, this is about as unanimous as it gets on an internet forum.

Nate
19th May 2009, 20:13
Pffft, even if the men in lab coats grab Stephen Russell, Eidos will simply send one of their 'hit' teams to break him out for Thi4f.

The better reinforce Stephen Russell's delusion, they'll do it with blackjacks, look picks and water arrows....after all, if Stephen Russell actually believes he is Garrett, he probably won't charge Eidos anything to do the voice overs.

Petike the Taffer
19th May 2009, 21:39
Uh, i always thought the smart guard's name was Mortimer?

He's a man of many names. ;) :D Well, unlike Benny, there isn't a real agreement on what to call him, but a lot of people at TTLG prefer Nick (including me).

WVI
20th May 2009, 00:12
Oh, so the guard archetypes have names? That's pretty cool. Like the scientists and guards in Half-Life, then.

randomtaffer
20th May 2009, 00:15
I think that we should have one of the Jonas Brothers voice Garrett.

GmanPro
20th May 2009, 00:17
I think that we should have one of the Jonas Brothers voice Garrett.

http://www.freewebs.com/devin_futurama/1%20scruffy.jpg

WhatsHisFace
20th May 2009, 02:39
Thief 4 should be like Nintendo's Zelda series, and be 100% text. No voice actors necessary and they can save money that way.

WVI
20th May 2009, 02:52
Okay, that's just nuts. It wouldn't be Thief unless everyone spoke in Braille.

MasterTaffer
22nd May 2009, 22:53
Changed my mind, Garrett should be played by Rip Taylor!

http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/d6/unsecured/media/1119379849/1119379849_1630380963_gahq-50-rip-taylor-broadband.jpg

MilordyBafford
23rd May 2009, 01:27
Changed my mind, Garrett should be played by Rip Taylor!

...snip image..

Ha! Instead of a flashbomb he could throw confetti in a guards face to escape.

BrokenArts
23rd May 2009, 04:53

OhYeah (http://modetwo.net/users/brokenarts/OhYeah.wav)

xDarknessFallsx
23rd May 2009, 05:33
I think Garrett should be deaf and mute in TH4F. Just imagine not hearing anything or being able to say anything. Wouldn't have to worry about getting Stephen Russell to voice act and it would add some difficulty not being able to hear guards walking by. Just a thought...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st May 2009, 09:17
Taken from interview posted in City Watch thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88482&page=6

Of chief importance will be the vocal communities of both Thief and Deus Ex.
D'Astous said something the fans clearly want are the original Thief voice actors to return, "And this is obviously something that we'll consider very seriously."

Sounds promising. :)

Platinumoxicity
31st May 2009, 09:22
Taken from interview posted in City Watch thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88482&page=6

Of chief importance will be the vocal communities of both Thief and Deus Ex.
D'Astous said something the fans clearly want are the original Thief voice actors to return, "And this is obviously something that we'll consider very seriously."

Sounds promising. :)

This is exactly why we should forget the rumors about Garrett's removal.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st May 2009, 09:25
Yes, I agree.
But with nothing set in stone at the moment, it is only inevitable that rumour and speculation will continue - at least until further information is released. :)

Platinumoxicity
31st May 2009, 09:58
I'm just afraid that EM spies that lurk these forums get the idea that the majority couldn't give a taff whether Garrett stays or goes, and then they decide to go with the bad alternative.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st May 2009, 21:58
I'm just afraid that EM spies that lurk these forums get the idea that the majority couldn't give a taff whether Garrett stays or goes, and then they decide to go with the bad alternative.

The majority? Really?
This thread would suggest otherwise:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88489

But how about someone (who can! :D) create a specific poll to find out for sure what most fans want? A simple two question poll with:

1. Yes, it must be Garrett. He is Thief!
or
2. No, it doesn't have to be Garrett. I just want a good Thief game, whoever the main character is.

Or something like that. :)
Perhaps even an additional option for a neutral answer, for those who prefer to sit on the wall and have fun with target practice while they wait to find out what EM decide it will be. :D

Deadly Shadow
1st Jun 2009, 18:49
It was a moment of tension running The Metal Age for the first time, fearing that Garrett would have a new voice, same for Deadly Shadows...
I've never played a game where the voice acting is so crucial, and amazing. Stephen Russell is the man.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Jun 2009, 21:21
^ Same, and I agree with what you say. :thumb:

imported_van_HellSing
1st Jun 2009, 21:34
If "Thi4f" is going to feature Garrett, I think it's safe to say Stephen Russell will be back as well. He is still very much in touch with gaming industry, recently heard in Fallout 3. I laughed quite a lot the first time one of the Mr Handy robots blurted out "Have at thee!" with a decidedly Hammerite diction when attacked ;)

This is something to remember, by the way: Stephen is not only responsible for Garrett's voice, but also the Benny the Hammers, and other memorable voices of the Thief world. Getting him is paramount.

Direlord
2nd Jun 2009, 16:18
Stephen from what i know does quite a bit of voice work.

Blue Sky
2nd Jun 2009, 16:41
Good grief, I hope nothing happens to Mr Russell before he records for Thi4f.

Quick, someone lock him in a padded room! With a microphone! Let's get all the voice work for Thi5f done now as well, just in case...

Rachie
3rd Jun 2009, 05:21
Stephen for Garrett, of course.

I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

Gillie
3rd Jun 2009, 12:18
I would love Stephen Russell as Garrett it just should be him no one else.
Just as much Garrett should be back anyway. His voice work and as Garrett is the best.
Stephen Russell has done quite a lot of voice work in games. System shock is one
Besides being in films his latest is Noelle, which I have not seen yet.
He is nothing like the charactor. ;)
Also voiced in Mystery plays which I have a couple they are good.
Broken Arts here is the Expert "Oh Yeah" :flowers:

ASHASSIN
3rd Jun 2009, 12:45
yes, steve is a must. no question.

esme
3rd Jun 2009, 13:05
I want Seth McFarlane to do the voices so we can have Peter Griffin as Garrett, Stewie as Karras, Quagmire as Keeper Orland -"so young acolyte this prophecy here says you will sleep with me giggity"

:D

no seriously I would really like Stephen Russell back again

Knight
6th Jun 2009, 20:39
ONLY STEPHEN RUSSEL.. When some1 else, the garrett is phail and t4 need another hero, and that would be very bad... So STEPHEN RUSSEL FOREVA

catelee2u
28th Jun 2009, 04:38
A no-brainer. Gotta be Stephen Russell for Garret as well as many other characters probably since he is mutli-talented.

kaekaelyn
28th Jun 2009, 04:41
And Herbert, that creepy old pedophile man as Constantine!

Seriously, though, Mr. Russell needs to return as Garrett, as well as to reprise his other classic roles, such as Benny and Hammerite 1. I always loved Hammerite 1's voice. Somehow he really nailed the "zealot" thing.

lyssyder
29th Jun 2009, 15:19
VOICE ACTORS: STEPHEN RUSSELL must be Garrett

YES of course !!!

Any doubt ?

No Russell, no money from me. Bywwwww...

ToMegaTherion
29th Jun 2009, 17:09
If the worst happens and Russell is unavailable, would we rather have a different voice or a different character?

Platinumoxicity
29th Jun 2009, 19:33
If the worst happens and Russell is unavailable, would we rather have a different voice or a different character?

He wasn't unavailable when Fallout 3 was in the making. :)

esme
29th Jun 2009, 21:24

there's a few guys over at TTLG who can do a pretty fair Garrett voice

jtr7
29th Jun 2009, 21:31
Heh heh heh. They should apply! I doubt they would be called in without a proper interview, even if strings are pulled.

If Stephen Russell is unavailable, then they should go with a new character. At this time, I'm more worried they won't be able to match the writing style of the first two games, and even if they do get S.R. he won't be able to match the character from the dialogue give alone. The devs need to have a chameleon-like ability to blend in while going in a different direction, for the very fact that they are not the same people, with the same tech, environment, workplace culture, background in movies and literature, etc. There's no way they could match any of the games, but they need to blend in, or go balls-out in a different direction without apology.

Nothke
12th Jul 2009, 21:56
Russell must be Garrett! The best voice in the game ever. If not because of the voice but because he is LEGEND!

But there could be some other actors doing other characters. I think voices of like John Malkovich, Jeremy Irons, Gary Oldman, Christopher Lee, Alan Davies, Malcolm McDowell or Alan Rickman would suit the game...

jtr7
12th Jul 2009, 22:02

Nothke
12th Jul 2009, 22:27
Heheheheh...

Hello sponsorship and in-game advertising to fund that!:nut:

Well if Call of Duty can have Keefer Sutherland, and Oblivion Sean Bean, than why not?

jtr7
12th Jul 2009, 23:37

slayerking
13th Jul 2009, 16:41
Has to be Stephen Russell of course, There can be only one!!

tarhiel
13th Aug 2009, 13:11
No doubt - Stephen Russel only. Without him it is like talking about roast chicken without chicken.

Shadow Blade
13th Aug 2009, 13:23
Garrett would not be Garrett with out the voice of Stephen Russel.

Any other voice and it would not be Garrett to me.

Imagin the terminator with a high pitched voice. . . It aint right i tell you

Hamadriyad
13th Aug 2009, 19:47
What If he dies in the middle of the project?

Platinumoxicity
13th Aug 2009, 20:11
What If he dies in the middle of the project?

He can't, because the "New main character supporters" that try to assassinate him, get assassinated themselves by the "Garrett supporters" ;)

Hamadriyad
13th Aug 2009, 20:15
Hehhehheh! Yes. :)

Secondary
13th Aug 2009, 23:36
why is this even a thread

OF COURSE RUSSELL!

if not, all hope is lost and heads will roll

esme
14th Aug 2009, 12:47
well there's a few guys at TTLG who can do a fair Garrett in an emergency

but let's not put Mr Russell in a box just yet eh ;)

Albi
16th Aug 2009, 00:58
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:This may be spam:nut:
http://filebox.me/files/be6pidvn9_LOOOL2.JPG
http://filebox.me/files/qnay5kv0e_Russell_Stephenseriosu.jpg
http://filebox.me/files/sqfcrziek_Russell_Stephen.jpg
]http://filebox.me/files/gw347mjpe_StephenRussell.jpg[

jtr7
16th Aug 2009, 01:01
The size alone is really obnoxious. Who's the one in the middle?

Albi
16th Aug 2009, 01:04
wheres the middle?:nut:

edit: there all Stephen Russell, some are just fish Stephens

jtr7
16th Aug 2009, 01:08
The one in the middle--before and after, is a completely different guy. The before (has a whole face) has how many borrowed parts?

oO_ShadowFox_Oo
16th Aug 2009, 01:34
This thread is de-ric-ul-ous

Gillie
16th Aug 2009, 01:42
They make the forum page too big it is ridiculas
The last one his face so distorted not a tribute that is a insult to himself/:(

jtr7
16th Aug 2009, 01:44
Warning! Warning!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Gillie
16th Aug 2009, 01:53
Warning! Warning!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What do you mean. :lmao:

jtr7
16th Aug 2009, 02:00
Disturbing images! Please be warned!

Albi
16th Aug 2009, 02:16
lol they threaten to ban me, ah well, wat ever will be will be then u forum goers will never see the finished thief cartoon eh?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Aug 2009, 02:22
lol they threaten to ban me...

You have been warned of a ban?

Anyway, I removed the IMG code as the pictures were far too big. If you can edit to a more reasonable size, you can add the code again to show the pictures. I also merged into this existing discussion thread.

Albi
16th Aug 2009, 02:27
nah its ok, this thread was spontaneous stupidity but now the convo has turned to voice actors so no need for silly, EPIC, but still silly pictures lol. just wanted to show how i Mr Russell would look as a fish freak kind of man lulz. :nut::nut::nut::rasp::rasp::lol::lol::lmao::lmao::lmao:

jtr7
16th Aug 2009, 07:14
Albi's drunk!

Either that or your studies have turned your brain to jelly. :p

Vae
16th Aug 2009, 07:31
Fish Brain!...or pickled fish head..:scratch:..:p

fayfuya
16th Aug 2009, 11:07
If Steven russel won't take Garrett's voice, I'm not buying that game....NO THIEF OR GARRET WITHOUT STEVEN RUSSEL.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
22nd Aug 2009, 00:46
Albi's drunk!

This would explain why there are 3 kegs of mead and 2 bottles of my finest vintage missing from the tavern cellar! :mad:

:D

matdmcc2
23rd Aug 2009, 00:04
Gilbert Godfrey.....

zombie32
25th Aug 2009, 05:06
Gilbert Godfrey? Who's that? I think that since John Madden has retired from Monday Night Football he could be available for the job. Or, better yet, ex-president Bush--you know, the one who told us that 90 per cent of foreign goods are manufactured overseas--would be the logical choice. Think of how famous the game would be! What better choice to play a Thief than the highest elected official of the country?

jtr7
25th Aug 2009, 07:20
He's just taffing with us. Gilbert Gotfried would be known as the voice of Iago in Disney's Aladdin movies. But that's only the safe stuff for family fare.

ToMegaTherion
25th Aug 2009, 08:19
Madden would be good. I liked the way he would shout things like "Boom!" whenever anyone gets sacked. Garrett could do the same whenever he blackjacks someone. That would be awesome.

zombie32
26th Aug 2009, 05:35
jtr7, how do you know so much? I'm always impressed with your posts because they are based on knowledge and have substance. My posts, well . . . Anyway, let me bounce this one off you head. If I were Stephen Russell, and I had an audience of adoring fans such as the ones on this forum, I would jump in and participate, exchanging ideas and thoughts with the membership. I would revel in my fame. But he doesn't. Why does he ignore us? Is is unprofessional for him to acknowledge those who admire his work? Other celebrities have web sites and fan clubs--maybe he should too.

Ikana
26th Aug 2009, 06:28
He's the only one.. If another actor is used. The game won't be "ruined" but damn what a letdown it will be.

I choose to be cautious in my wording and expectations. To assume the game will be a complete failure if Garrett's voice actor is replaced, is setting the bar kind of high. I find it will be a disappointment if Russell isn't chosen, but as long as the actor isn't one that will be extremely annoying, It will be enough.

Am I to lenient?

jtr7
26th Aug 2009, 07:08
Nope! I agree. Stephen Russell is a high bar and I commend anyone who can reach it.

Vae
26th Aug 2009, 07:21
Yes. No Stephen Russell means no Garrett and no Benny...I don't know which is worse...:(

ToMegaTherion
26th Aug 2009, 08:39
That's a good point, no Benny would really suck.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Aug 2009, 10:06
True, we must have Benny back in T4. :cool:

Cybele
3rd Sep 2009, 20:28
If they can't get Stephen Russell to voice Garrett they might as well not have Garrett in Thief 4 at all.
Stephen Russell is one of the best voice actors there is imo :)
Ohh and for all you Russell fans you might enjoy this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn3mg3lYx1o

Malau
15th Sep 2009, 15:11
Great Youtube ! Strussell is the Pacino of VG acting !

bambini
16th Sep 2009, 12:26
He's just taffing with us. Gilbert Gotfried would be known as the voice of Iago in Disney's Aladdin movies. But that's only the safe stuff for family fare.

OMG you guys, I've just seen a glimpse of the future of T4...3 voice actors get hired as a priority: Gilbert Gotfried, Rip Taylor and Stephen Russell. Picture the scene: Benny the Guard, Rip and Gilbert guarding a door, talking about something completely innoucous :lmao:

Uh oh, guys, watch out for that gas gren...oops, too late :)

esme
16th Sep 2009, 12:46
that sort of thing is a trend in modern videogaming isn't it, using famous actors as voice actors and even having NPC's made to look like the actor

goes with the idea that you aren't playing a game you are interacting with a movie

I shall be extremely saddened if Thief 4 heads down this route

bambini
16th Sep 2009, 13:34
Is it really that bad? Oblivion used Patrick Stewart and Sean Bean very well I thought. I think it's more about games being increasingly accepted as a medium than trying to make games more movie-esque. Stephen Russell is a well-known name (in this community at least :)), and he's primarily a voice actor for games. Hell, he's even on IMDB! Would it be wrong if he offered his voice for Toy Story 3: The Revenge of Woody?

Besides, with games graphics and physics becoming ever more sophisticated, surely it should be expected that there is a blurring between gaming and film?

esme
16th Sep 2009, 13:46
I have shelves full of DVD movies, I like watching them but I don't want to take part in any of them, when I'm playing a game I want to immerse myself in the game rather than nudge a movie along to the next scene so I can see some famous actor deliver lines that cost me 20% or more of the purchase price of the game, I'd much rather see that 20% or more ploughed into gameplay and have fewer cutscenes so it's more of a game and less of a movie

my personal take, some people prefer the movie approach I don't

total aside - Sean Beans mum lives a couple of miles up the road from me I pass the house when I go shopping

Chruor
25th Sep 2009, 12:26
Yes, only Stephen Russell can do it, nobody else. Change the voice actor, change the protagonist. Russell for the win :thumb:

3edere
26th Sep 2009, 16:44
I supposed that if EM is gonna change the voice of Garrett from SR to someone else, well....they would seriously take the chance to be hunted down by a world wide horde of cruel, angry, bloodthirsty Thief fans! Let's not arrive to this, shall we? :p

STEPHEN RUSSELL DON'T BETRAY US! WE TRULY LOVE U AS GARRETT! :flowers:

Quad
26th Sep 2009, 20:09
I once said that Garrett (and Russell) don't necesseraily had to be the protagonist in Thief 4, but I reconsider. Stephen Russell must be voiced and shall be Garrett or Thief 4 will completely deviate from T1/2 and please only those who have never heard of Thief before.

Stephen Russell = Garrett. Period.

there, now I feel much better !

3edere
26th Sep 2009, 20:28
Good, spill it out, we all feel much better now! :D

jtr7
27th Sep 2009, 07:13
It's hard to imagine Thief without Garrett (FMs usually don't follow a Thiefy story of balance, corruption and out-of-control powers, prophecy, and impending apocalypse), and a Thief without Benny (or a great comedy duo), and Stephen Russell does both voices, as well as a Hammer in all the games.

jtr7
14th Feb 2010, 09:01
Hahaha! I found Ken Webster!

This is the man who not only voiced Orland in TDS, but did the physical green-screen silhouette-ish acting when he wasn't an in-engine model or totally painted in Photoshop:
WARNING: STRONG LANGUAGE, like F-bombs and stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_mFuWyikA

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Feb 2010, 09:59
It's hard to imagine Thief without Garrett (FMs usually don't follow a Thiefy story of balance, corruption and out-of-control powers, prophecy, and impending apocalypse), and a Thief without Benny (or a great comedy duo), and Stephen Russell does both voices, as well as a Hammer in all the games.

So very true. Let's keep our fingers, toes and eyes crossed that Russell is still our man. :cool:

Platinumoxicity
14th Feb 2010, 19:32
Hahaha! I found Ken Webster!

This is the man who not only voiced Orland in TDS, but did the physical green-screen silhouette-ish acting when he wasn't an in-engine model or totally painted in Photoshop:
WARNING: STRONG LANGUAGE, like F-bombs and stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_mFuWyikA

Awesome! :D He even looks like Orland.

Rieknor
4th Mar 2010, 15:34
Hell yes!

Whatever it takes to get Stephen Russell DO IT, please.

stoker
6th Mar 2010, 03:07
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1592197/
http://www.what.org/09company.html
Look for Stephen Russell, catch him. ;)

Namdrol
6th Mar 2010, 08:43
Nice find with the small theatre company.

jtr7
6th Mar 2010, 09:28
Yeah:
http://www.ttlg.com/FORUMs/showthread.php?p=1669321
http://www.ttlg.com/FORUMs/showthread.php?p=1828689
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114583&page=2

We stalk him, too.

massimilianogoi
10th Mar 2010, 04:04
Awesome! :D He even looks like Orland.

That's what I've thought :D Maybe he inspired them.....

So, any news from Russell?

lightningline
10th Mar 2010, 05:14
There is a guy over at ttgl who has done the voice of Garrett for many fan missions and I cant tell the difference. Just an idea if they cant get Russle for whatever reason.

Theres to much no Russle...no Garrett....come on...it only matters that it sound like Russle/Garrett...get real. Hes just a guy doing the voice for our beloved thief..

jtr7
10th Mar 2010, 05:34
Slyfoxx at TTLG. He was given his own tribute thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=98299&highlight=slyfoxx

:)

massimilianogoi
10th Mar 2010, 19:13
There is a guy over at ttgl who has done the voice of Garrett for many fan missions and I cant tell the difference. Just an idea if they cant get Russle for whatever reason.

Theres to much no Russle...no Garrett....come on...it only matters that it sound like Russle/Garrett...get real. Hes just a guy doing the voice for our beloved thief..

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Go in the thread that jtr7 linked and vote for!

Gillie
12th Mar 2010, 23:43
Sly would voice Garrett so well. Just not the same. To me although unseen, It is like when an actor takes over a role even in radio and movies of the same character. Takes getting used to.
Stephen has played Garrett three times, so be it a 4th. All assuming as we expect Garrett back. ;)

I discovered "Cape cod mystery Theatre" just a couple of years ago. Some plays now old. I have a few. Stephen voices in the ones I have, they are excellent.
I recently brought a rare DVD recording seeing him actually voice his part is great to watch too.

jtr7
12th Mar 2010, 23:52
I discovered "Cape cod mystery Theatre" just a couple of years ago. Some plays now old. I have a few. Stephen voices in the ones I have, they are excellent.
I recently brought a rare DVD recording seeing him actually voice his part is great to watch too.

Wow! What a treat! That's something many of us would enjoy, and it would be a great bonus to have a behind-the-scenes video of Stephen doing Garrett and Benny for Thief 4! :cool: :thumb:

Gillie
13th Mar 2010, 00:29
Wow! What a treat! That's something many of us would enjoy, and it would be a great bonus to have a behind-the-scenes video of Stephen doing Garrett and Benny for Thief 4! :cool: :thumb:

It is good and was a treat.
I did enjoy watching him voice act. The others I have on CD "The case of the four little Beatles is funny. A couple of others seem to have something, that reminds me of some
"Thief voices"
I would just love a behind the scene video of him doing Garrett . Imagine Benny. :lol: What fun
Karrass too. Wonder if anyone has any. How wonderful and sure to sell.
Life of the party.... :lol:

Information here on the play, you can listen to some scenes still I think for some with him
http://www.ccrmt.com/

http://ccrmt.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=74&osCsid=8e9545528c20cb065330d72d6cc7c4c0

CAARaeed
9th Apr 2010, 15:30
Voice actors really seem to define the charecter in stealth games, it seems:

Stephen Russell as Garrett
Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher
David Bateson as Agent 47
David Hayter as Solid Snake

If any of these charecters were voiced by someone else at some point, the fan community would declare it heresy. And this is one time I can agree with them. These voice actors truly make the charecters they play.

never thought of it that way, but you are absolutely right

CAARaeed
9th Apr 2010, 15:35
Russell must be Garrett! The best voice in the game ever. If not because of the voice but because he is LEGEND!

But there could be some other actors doing other characters. I think voices of like John Malkovich, Jeremy Irons, Gary Oldman, Christopher Lee, Alan Davies, Malcolm McDowell or Alan Rickman would suit the game...

that's a very good list. yeah i think they would really suit the tone and background of the game

Namdrol
9th Apr 2010, 16:14
For me, getting "celebs" in is a total waste of money that could be used elsewhere, they would bring nothing to the role except their name and if a game needs that to sell I'd be highly dubious of its value

esme
9th Apr 2010, 16:23
For me, getting "celebs" in is a total waste of money that could be used elsewhere, they would bring nothing to the role except their name and if a game needs that to sell I'd be highly dubious of its value

QFT :thumb:

I purchase games because I want to play them not because some big name actor has done a voice over

Platinumoxicity
9th Apr 2010, 18:45
John Malkovich isn't suitable for any voice acting role simply because he can only sound like John Malkovich. :)

Namdrol
9th Apr 2010, 18:49
guess it's a case of being John Malkovich

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Apr 2010, 17:06
QFT :thumb:

I purchase games because I want to play them not because some big name actor has done a voice over

Yes, I agree too. :)

jtr7
12th Apr 2010, 23:00
Agreed! And voice-over work alone doesn't make a great game.

xDarknessFallsx
13th Apr 2010, 00:06
I'm unclear if the last few posts are suggesting that we can/should live without Stephen Russell as Garrett's voice because he might be a celebrity? I hope not. His voice is integral to the Thief experience for me. If he is a celebrity or becomes one, I think his voice is worth a premium. Thief 4 with a Garrett sound-alike would just feel like a cheap knockoff or a well-done fan mission.

Now, if Thief was a brand new series, I wouldn't want/need a celeb to play the voice and I agree that'd be a waste of money. No need to have Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks or Sean Connery playing Garrett

jtr7
13th Apr 2010, 01:31
No. Read the post where companies hire well-known actors for their names and marketing draw, and waste loads of money, instead of spending the money on making a good game. No one made light of Stephen, but in fact, raised him higher, as more worthy than any widely-celebrated screen actor.

esme
13th Apr 2010, 12:14
I'm classing a big name actor as someone who has a string of movies to their name, preferably non porn, or perhaps a TV series or two, someone the non game playing average joe in the street would have heard of

and much as I respect Stephen Russell's work he's not in that category

he has however defined the role and I would dearly love to see him continue in it

--EDIT--

sorry that should have been "much as I respect Stephen Russell's work he's not in that category yet"

go stephen ;)

jtr7
13th Apr 2010, 22:36
Yeah. Stephen Russell is only recently getting bit parts in movies, so a lot of people have seen him, heard him, but don't know him by name. Only fans of certain games would know this name, and those games are not mass-market titles, either.

KeeperArtemus
1st Jun 2010, 23:43
Stephen Russell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Russell

That game will fall apart without him !

Also consult members of the previous game developers. Looking Glass, Ion Storm ,
This is a must !

jtr7
1st Jun 2010, 23:54
Thanks for adding your voice to the pool of common concerns! :cool: :thumb:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109269
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88806
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88498

Most agree with ya. We know that EM knows we want Garrett and Benny back. We also know that they--of the core team and then some--are fans of the games, know Thief's industry-changing place in gaming history, have acquired the TDS development documents, and sought and found previous development materials (of which we don't know how much), and are in touch with at least one person who was involved with the creation of all three games (we don't know who this person is). We also don't know, but assume the likelihood, that among the special guests who visited Eidos-Montréal to discuss/see Deus Ex: Human Revolution--which included Warren Specter and Harvey Smith--that those like Warren who had something or a lot to do with Thief were also consulted at that time. I hope so, but we also know that the original developers were not against changes for the only the sake of tech and money, but I'd rather they just offered insight into the backstory and things they wanted all along but couldn't make work.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Jun 2010, 10:39
Stephen Russell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Russell

That game will fall apart without him !

Also consult members of the previous game developers. Looking Glass, Ion Storm ,
This is a must !

I merged your post into the existing discussion thread.

Hamadriyad
2nd Jun 2010, 11:33
It would be good If they give us an information about voice actor so we can feel relieved. But I don't think they will in a short time.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Jun 2010, 23:32
Nope, you've got quite a wait yet I'm afraid.

Ubersuntzu
15th Jun 2010, 11:13
Stephen Russell is more than a competent voice actor and I really don't see them going for a known Hollywood replacement.

That trend has already passed. The gaming industry has learned that gamers respond to quality acting, not film actors that phone it in because they think they're too good to act in a game.

I doubt they would make a change unless they have a new protagonist, like DX:HR and the way the ending of T3 apparently suggested.

jtr7
15th Jun 2010, 19:12
Stephen may not be as available as he was, especially since both he and LGS were in Massachusetts for the first two games, both he and ISA were in the USA for TDS, and now the studio is in Montréal, Canada, and the Audio Director is in London, England, and Stephen Russell is getting roles in feature films, and especially since EM's General Manager effectively said that he knows we want Russell back but we'll see...

Tryst
16th Jun 2010, 00:49
Most good actors rarely turn down parts that they have become known for. Being head hunted for a sequel while filming another part looks good on their resume. Unless Stephen Russel has become too full of himself over the years, I think he would find time to fit in a few days as Garrett, his alter ego.

jtr7
16th Jun 2010, 00:55
Timing, not ego. Contractual obligations, as well as hometown local work, and family are all real factors. I don't know how long it's been since he did voice-overs, but he was tapped for Arkane's "The Crossing", last I knew. It would be interesting to know if he's been contacted or otherwise made aware of T4. I believe he also qualifies for his SAG (Screen Actors' Guild) union card, if he wants to advance in the movie industry, instead of remaining a bit player--unless any one of the three movies he's done doesn't qualify. We know he has a son, Peter, but I don't know if he has other children, or other private concerns. He's hardly visible at the Wellfleet Harbor Actors' Theatre, either, even though I believe he was a co-founder. I know he wrote a children's play, and other than the showing of that, I haven't seen any listings with him. Who knows what he does for a living when he's not acting? We don't even know if he's "known" for playing Garrett, other than amongst ourselves, and where Garrett fits into his whole acting career. We don't know if his multiple characters in System Shock 2 and Freedom Force and Freedom Force Vs the Third Reich and Fallout 3 are more well-known or not. This is the only comment we have from him, and it's from 2000:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=409881

Dear Dennis,

Thanks for your kind words about my work. I only recently learned of the demise of Looking Glass and was rather stunned by the news. I enjoyed working with the talented and creative people there and I do hope that in some way the series might be picked up by another company. It was a great gig!

I'll try to get 'round to visting the forum you mentioned as time permits (I'm rather swamped with work at the moment). It's nice to know that so many people responded so positively to these games.

Cheers,
Stephen

Most of his work is done close to home. His scenes, and most of these films, Chatham/Golden Boys, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, Noëlle, and the recent Lightkeepers were filmed in Massachusetts. His voice-work was done for studios in Boston, and Washington, D.C., and Austin. I don't know if he's ever traveled outside the U.S. for voice-work.

Coincidence? This was just posted about him today on the W.H.A.T. Facebook page:

“I suppose the dirty little secret of my writing
for WHAT for Kids is that I don't consider what I write children's plays
at all. I’m not so much trying to create kids plays that adults can
enjoy as I am trying to create adult plays that kids can enjoy, too."

Asadar
28th Jun 2010, 13:28
Although I am French, I hope very much that Stephen Russell will take over the voice of Garret and the game, like its predecessors, will be in English subtitled in French.

Actually, for me Garret is no longer Garret without the voice of Stephen Russel

But alas, we must indeed take account of time spent. So I just hope he may return to its early successes. Now waiting for news...

The Atrophy
28th Jun 2010, 19:01
No one else can voice Garrett. They could have MAYBE gotten away with it if they switched the voice actor after Thief 1, but after 3 games and hundreds of lines of dialogue, Stephen Russell's voice is the only thing we have as to who Garrett actually is as a person. To change voice actors would undoubtedly change the character of Garrett. In that case, they might as well just introduce a new protaganist.

The voice work for Garrett is some of the most unique I have ever heard in a video game. So hopefully Stephen Russell has time in his schedule to record the dialogue.

Asadar
29th Jun 2010, 07:59
The voice work for Garrett is some of the most unique I have ever heard in a video game.

This is probably the voice that I like most in all the games I played (It makes a lot!). So I fully agree with your opinion.
The truth is that is much more than a voice, it is the whole personality of Garret, whose the character itself depends.Garrett does not really have a face, or a body, he has mainly an especially unique charisma. And that is why he is so appreciated.

Platinumoxicity
29th Jun 2010, 09:20
Although I am French, I hope very much that Stephen Russell will take over the voice of Garret and the game, like its predecessors, will be in English subtitled in French.

I've always wondered... why do French (and some other European countries) always require subtitles or dubbing in their own language? I personally always feel embarrassed when there are english- or other languages dubbed to my language, and even the subtitles look lame and they can never deliver all the puns and jokes well enough.

You speak english well, so I'm wondering that are you an exception or what? :scratch:

Same with German. All too many times I've seen videos on Youtube where people play Thief-games with German audio. What's up with that? I could never play anything dubbed in my language, it would all sound like a huge parody. Or do they only sell a localized versions in the retail stores there?

Bonus question for German taffers: Does Thief Deadly Shadows have robotic guards that bleed engine oil? Since I've heard numerous times that you can't sell games with human opponents and red blood in Germany.

Asadar
29th Jun 2010, 11:21
When I speak about subtitles, it doesn't really concern me much since I almost never use it, except for some movies.

or dubbing in their own language?

The French versions are often poorer audio quality than the original versions in English. But if the voice is good, so I willingly plays in French.

But on Thief, the first versions were not available in French when I played for the first time (long ago) and I confess that the French version later disappointed me greatly. For me the voice of Stephen Russell is the only one able to give life to the character of Garret. And I'd much rather listen to the English word games moose rather than clunky translations.

In truth, I sometimes ask myself the same question just as you, especially when I see some poor translations. However it happens from time to time they are good, in which case I understand that we can appreciate in another language, especially if you do not speak very good English. And in my opinion, the latter is the main reason for translations: everyone does not speak or does not want to speak English.

The Atrophy
29th Jun 2010, 21:55
This is probably the voice that I like most in all the games I played (It makes a lot!). So I fully agree with your opinion.
The truth is that is much more than a voice, it is the whole personality of Garret, whose the character itself depends.Garrett does not really have a face, or a body, he has mainly an especially unique charisma. And that is why he is so appreciated.

Yep your exactly right. Especially since Garrett doesn't really consistently look the same when hes shown. I really liked how they did that, it brought so much more mystery to the character. Back on topic, I think Stephen Russell needs to continue as Garrett because he gets the cynical personality across perfectly, without sounding like a huge douche bag (well sometimes, but in a good way:)). Stephen Russell makes Garrett one of the most unique characters Ive seen in a video game. Atmosphere is so important to Thief and the voice work is a huge part of that.

Tryst
29th Jun 2010, 22:03
Atmosphere is so important to Thief and the voice work is a huge part of that.
Since an occasional glimpse of a blackjack, sword or arrow is all you get to see, the voice is an essential part of Garrett and probably the only consistant feature. Take Stephen Russels voice away and it may as well be 47 or even Sam you're playing instead of Garrett.

Asadar
30th Jun 2010, 12:49
Take Stephen Russels voice away and it may as well be 47 or even Sam you're playing instead of Garrett.

Brrrr... I prefer not to imagine that. :(

I like 47, but in his own role ! Garret is a sacred caracter of the video games world. So is the voice of Stephen Russell: Cynic, mysterious and not without charm either. Exactly what I like as a dark fantasy caracter.

jtr7
2nd Jul 2010, 00:22
From http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132558&p=1999701&viewfull=1#post1999701 :

Met Stephen Russel [sic]

Hey all

It's not often that I post 'round here, but I've been playing the Thief series since it first started, and lurking around ttlg almost as long.

I thought some people might be interested to hear that I met Stephen Russell the other day on Cape Cod, in MA. He works there as an actor during the summer, and a girl I shot a film with has known him for years and introduced us. Very lovely man, much older than I expected, with a great bushy beard.

Of course I asked him about Thief IV, and he said that no one has contacted him yet about reprising his role as Garrett. But he also said that voice work is one of the last things to be ironed out in game development, so there's still a good chance that Garrett will return.

Also, he told me that originally Garrett was supposed to be Scottish. How ******** awesome would that have been?

Thiefy love to all,
Cap

edit: balls. of course I misspell his name in the thread subject. apologies...

Kurshok
2nd Jul 2010, 01:32
Stephen Russell = Garret

Vae
2nd Jul 2010, 01:44
Actually, Stephen Russell = Garrett, Benny, and other supporting character voices.

kin
2nd Jul 2010, 05:47
Stephen Russell has not been contacted from EM yet according to this:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132558

Rieknor
2nd Jul 2010, 05:59
I will love Stephen Russel been Garret, but I think with the technology of this days, it's not going to be hard to make a similar voice.

I want it exactly like the Stephen's....

Asadar
2nd Jul 2010, 08:40
This is not the voice problem, but its human side. We can imitate virtually tone of voice. But not with the fluidity and naturalness of its original owner. It's more than just voice, is a way to speak, changing his tone accurately, to let some words slip and not others.
Passing a text is not just read it, but make it alive. And a double character, it is like become this character. This is what Stephen Russell did, and that is why he is so indispensable to Garret. He is Garret.

Ardanna
8th Jul 2010, 17:41
Stephen should be Garrett I can't think of anyone how could sound so good at that theif. Except maybe Kevin Conroy, but he's probably busy with the new Batman game.

The Atrophy
8th Jul 2010, 22:10
Speaking of Batman... Mark Hamill to voice a new antagonist anyone?? :P

jtr7
8th Jul 2010, 22:31
Necromancer. :p

Platinumoxicity
8th Jul 2010, 23:10

Luke Skywalker? Antagonist? :D

Keeper Gurgul
8th Jul 2010, 23:53
Oh yes - and a supreme one that is :] Since Star Wars, Mark "Luke Skywalker" Hamill has become the titan of voice acting - providing the vocals for e.g. numerous cartoon villains - including the Joker from Batman: The Animated Series as well as the Arkham Asylum videogame :]

jtr7
8th Jul 2010, 23:58
Didn't he retire the Joker voice? I don't know if he's leaving voice-acting, too.

The Atrophy
9th Jul 2010, 07:28
I think he said the last Joker he was going to do was in Arkham Asylum... but I read the Joker might be in the second one. So maybe hes sticking around for that. Hopefully he does more voice acting, hes damn good at it.

Just what I was thinking JTR7. A necromancer with a similiar voice as the Joker would be pretty cool. Smart, dangerous, and completely INSANE.

Asadar
9th Jul 2010, 10:06
Hmmm... the great Mark Hamill as the voice of a necromancer? Seducing...

Why not. It does nothing to disturb the atmosphere of the Thief universe, quite the contrary... I like this idea.

But I still hope that Stephen Russell will make the voice of Garret.

Russell and Hamill on the same game, giving their voice to the two main protagonists, what a dream! ^^

Namdrol
9th Jul 2010, 13:03
Waste of money.

Asadar
9th Jul 2010, 13:56
Maybe... that's why I said "a dream". :D

I don't think they will call Mark Hamill to give his voice in Thief 4.

The Atrophy
9th Jul 2010, 16:35
Waste of money.

For sure. It's definitely not going to happen, I was just throwing out how cool it could be :p

Ardanna
10th Jul 2010, 18:17

The Joker, I read up on it and he said that it would be the last time he voices the Joker. Noooo. He has Joker evil laugh done perfectly.

Abletto
11th Jul 2010, 03:11
Yes absolutely.

I could not imagine Garrett sounding like anybody else. His grungy voice and clever quips make the character come alive.

Asadar
11th Jul 2010, 07:16
Abletto : yep. If there is one subject on which everyone seems to agree is that Stephen Russell is not only a voice for Garrett, he is Garret!

Ardanna : Seriously? The last time? *sigh* :(

xDarknessFallsx
11th Jul 2010, 07:22
I saw over at TTLG.com that someone claimed to have run into Stephen. If true, and if EM plans to use Stephen, I wish EM would have at least contacted him by now to let him know they were planning to use him. You know, so that he could maybe start brushing up on his Garrett voice and cadence (if he wanted to). Listen to some old Thief audio files. And even so he can be prepared, schedule-wise. Even though it's probably not known when he'll need to voice act, at least if he knew he would be working on T4, maybe he would try to leave himself some wiggle-room in negotiating contracts for other things, etc. :) If he hasn't been contacted, even with just a quick heads-up, it kind've makes me a bit worried.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132558

Captain Dopetastic wrote (Jul 2, 2010): Of course I asked him about Thief IV, and he said that no one has contacted him yet about reprising his role as Garrett. But he also said that voice work is one of the last things to be ironed out in game development, so there's still a good chance that Garrett will return

Asadar
11th Jul 2010, 07:34
Yep, I had already read this topic ... but as said Stephen himself, dubbing voices is part of finishing a game, and so there might still greatly hope that it will be on Thief 4.

Jack Lantern
12th Jul 2010, 17:12
Well, Stephen Russell voiced many characters in the Thief series other than Garrett over the years, so he's really done the franchise good in multiple ways. I too have been checking out sources to see if he's been confirmed, and to no avail. I wasn't even sure if he was interested in game work anymore until he appeared in Fallout 3. He's got a few projects lined up for both 2010 and 11, but Thief 4 so far, isn't one of them. We just need to keep our fingers crossed. :)

Asadar
12th Jul 2010, 18:55
*Cross my fingers very hard* :D

kin
13th Jul 2010, 05:03
I predict that we will get a Garrett with French accent from some unknown voice actor.:hmm:
Thi4f comig.

jtr7
13th Jul 2010, 05:09
Hahaha! Quel est un taffer, quoi qu'il en soit?

Asadar
15th Jul 2010, 09:35
Ho nooo... -_-

Please not french accent! I am well placed to know that it would be horrible on Garret...

jtr7, I don't understand what you mean in french. :scratch:

jtr7
15th Jul 2010, 09:56
I don't even know if it's correct French, and it likely isn't, since I used Babel Fish (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/) to translate from English.

It's a mangled variation of:
"What is a taffer, anyway?"

But the original is, "What the hell is a taffer, anyway?"

Asadar
15th Jul 2010, 12:23
Word for word "What is a taffer, anyway?" becomes "Qu'est-ce qu'un travailleur de toute façon ?"

And "What the hell is a taffer, anyway?" becomes "Bordel c'est quoi un travailleur de toute façon ?" (This second translation has a ironic tone in French, where we insist on the "what" and not on the "is".) ;)

You was not so far. But "de toute façon" is more common than "quoi qu'il en soit" (more literary). :)

I dare not imagine how look my sentences in English ...

jtr7
15th Jul 2010, 12:48
Much better than Babel Fish French, certainly! :thumb:

Asadar
15th Jul 2010, 13:07
Huhu. :D

Not so hard, I use Google Translator ! :rasp:

I'm joking, that's certainly worse than Babel Fish! Nothing but a old good dictionnary... :rolleyes:

TheHauntedQuarter
23rd Jul 2010, 10:07
This thread is basically just everyone saying the same thing in different and creative ways: 'We want Stephen Russell for THIAF, and we would love him to voice Garrett.'
I agree with them, and I think that Garrett-- I mean Stephen Russell, has to voice Garrett in the upcoming game 'Thi4f' (Or whatever they decide to call it).

Asadar
23rd Jul 2010, 10:21
It is certainly a point on which we all agree. ;)

I4cTaffers
23rd Jul 2010, 10:36
It is certainly a point on which we all agree. ;)

I concur :group_hug:

Voodoo
23rd Jul 2010, 11:38
For sure Stephen Russel has to be Garrett.

negative_len
25th Jul 2010, 16:59
The length of this thread is what says something.

jtr7
4th Aug 2010, 23:51
He did it! Stephen Russell now has both feet in the Hollywood door, though his heart will ever remain in Wellfleet:

http://www.what.org/company/

Stephen Russell - Writer, Director

Stephen Russell has been the W4K Impresario since the first season in 2002. Other plays for young audiences include Rapunzel, Marion of Sherwood, The Wild Swans, The Colony of the Cats, The Three Sillies, The Very Sad Tale of the Late Mr. Stiltskin, Xenia Hedgehog's Academy of Etiquette for Naughty Boys and Girls and Daisy Crockett, Frontiersperson! He has been a mainstay on the mainstage of WHAT for over 20 years and has also acted with the Huntington Theatre Company, New Repertory Theatre, Stoneham Theatre and the Lyric Theatre. He can be seen in the feature film The Golden Boys, aka Chatham. He lives and works in Wellfleet and is a proud member of Actors' Equity and the Screen Actors Guild.

What impact this has is still unknown, including flying to other countries to do voice-over work for us, which will be new, but I hope possible.

massimilianogoi
5th Aug 2010, 04:30
I've just watched again the Deus Ex 3 trailer, and I must say that the guy who talks watching beyond the glasses at 1:28 really has a voice that resembles Garrett, so, if Russell isn't available anymore, Eidos Montreal could refold on that actor!

And the bad guy who yells "I'll take you the hell!" at 2:35 it's pretty similar, as voice and assertion, to one of the guards on Thief - Deadly Shadows, who yells "I'll teach you!".

8ifgsSjFWwM

Vae
5th Aug 2010, 05:00
There are voice actors that would be able to do a decent version of Garrett's voice, but it wouldn't be Garrett, nor would there be Benny, the elder Hammerite voice, and the other yet to be heard characters.

massimilianogoi
5th Aug 2010, 05:24
So, we have to chose someone if Russell cannot!

jtr7
5th Aug 2010, 05:27
No ninny servant, either. :(

:p

I think Paul Eiding would be a good choice, not even trying to be Stephen Russell, but very experienced and versatile.

Vae
5th Aug 2010, 05:30
No Ninny servants....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I love those ninny servants...:)

Let us keep the faith that EM will be wise enough to arrange for his participation.

jtr7
5th Aug 2010, 05:34
Heeelp! Save me!

Vae
5th Aug 2010, 05:35
...He's got a bow!...:lol:

Asadar
5th Aug 2010, 10:09
...He's got a bow!...:lol:

:lol:

:worship: EM, hear our prayers! We want S. Russell back... and the Ninny servant ! :D

Xenoc
12th Aug 2010, 10:21
Agreed bring back SR his voice is epic for Garrett

xDarknessFallsx
13th Aug 2010, 06:05
I agree. SR is epic!

glyph07
13th Aug 2010, 10:31
I've just watched again the Deus Ex 3 trailer, and I must say that the guy who talks watching beyond the glasses at 1:28 really has a voice that resembles Garrett, so, if Russell isn't available anymore, Eidos Montreal could refold on that actor!

And the bad guy who yells "I'll take you the hell!" at 2:35 it's pretty similar, as voice and assertion, to one of the guards on Thief - Deadly Shadows, who yells "I'll teach you!".

8ifgsSjFWwM

I just popped in the forum again after a long while...sorry Massi, apparently we'll never agree on anything. I don't want to be polemic, truly, but to me the timbre of the 2 voices and the accent are far, far away from Grattett's identity.

Shorono
15th Aug 2010, 11:50
Garrett isn't Garrett without Russell.

xDarknessFallsx
15th Aug 2010, 16:28
I agree. Garrett is epic!

soopytwist
24th Aug 2010, 16:40
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Thought I'd join now in anticipation for Thief 4, think we're in for a long wait though. I expect we'll see more details about the game shortly after Deus Ex 3 is released or perhaps next years E3. I too am a huge fan of Stephen Russell, his voice is magic - it was great hearing his dulcet tones once again the other day when I started replaying Thief Gold after so many years.

You all might like to know Stephen is currently filming a western called "The Big Valley" due for release in 2011, acting along side such luminaries as Lee Majors and Richard Dreyfuss. Keep an eye on his IMDB page, if/when he signs up to voice Garrett in Thief 4 it will appear in his credits.

I'm pretty sure Stephen had his own website once, quite a few years ago and I once sent him a message to say how great he his! Maybe it was a fan site but I seem to recall he had some input.

xDarknessFallsx
25th Aug 2010, 03:12
I agree, Stephen Russell's voice is epic!

Silent Taffer
25th Aug 2010, 04:22
Stephen Russell is currently filming "The Big Valley", and is due out next year(2011). As I understand it, he's had to travel to Louisiana for filming. Last I heard, he lived in or nearby Massachusetts. However, I don't think this will take out a chunk of his time. He did have plenty of time to do Fallout 3...

Asadar
30th Aug 2010, 09:52
... and I hope he'll also have time to make a detour by Eidos Montreal ! :D

Stormpen
2nd Sep 2010, 14:02
Stephen Russell FTW!

http://www.redworks.sk/illustrations/stephen.jpg'Nuff said. :thumb:

soopytwist
4th Sep 2010, 17:31
Yes! Thief The Movie...somebody make it happen!

massimilianogoi
6th Sep 2010, 13:14
Dan Thron is thinking about it. He's waiting for some wealthy producer. heheh

Asadar
7th Sep 2010, 17:03
Really ?

Hmm. I'm not sure to like this idea. Wait and see. :rolleyes:

massimilianogoi
7th Sep 2010, 22:25
Are you joking??? It should be GREAT if they would make a Thief movie, especially if Thron is in the casting of direction. Or Randy Smith too. It would be very, very great. And in this point I guess that jtr7 agrees too.

Ace-Harleys-Poser_xD
8th Sep 2010, 03:31
Thief? A movie? o.o

It certainly piques my interest but I wanna see what they come up with, first lol
However:
Stephen Russel, no exception >>

jtr7
8th Sep 2010, 03:35
It would have to be a miniseries to give it the best chance, or it would have to be butchered and nothing special.

Asadar
8th Sep 2010, 10:48
It would have to be a miniseries to give it the best chance, or it would have to be butchered and nothing special.

I prefer this idea than a movie.

And Massimilianogoi, when I said "I'm not sure to like this idea", I mean that I remain cautious about the adaption of a game to a movie. But if the narrative and visual style are well suited to the game world, I'm interested. ;)

AlexOfSpades
9th Sep 2010, 15:38
I have only one reason that makes me Not Want a movie based on Thief.

The reason is: the curse.

As the legend tells... :

Long time ago, a mysterious man became very rich with a video game. But it wasnt enough. He got greedy, he wanted more and more. He wanted wealth and infinite power.

So he wanted to create a movie, based on the game, to become twice as rich!
Nothing would stop him!
He wanted to become so rich that he could be compared to a deity, limitless, eternal!

But that is not a right of the mortals. And up there, a voice came, crushing the silence like a thunder, screaming:" How dare you, mortal?! Gods arent made of gold, greedy human fool!"

And he layed a curse upon all the movies based on games that would last for a milennia.

Since then, all the movies based on games sucked:

Super Mario (its pathethic)
Street Fighter (the two of them, omg)
Mortal Kombat (Not that bad actually, just silly)
Resident Evil (Bleh)
Tomb Raider (Crappy like the game imho)
Doom (had nothing with the original story)
Alone in the Dark (Had the lowest scores ever in all reviews)
Max Payne (if you played the game, dont watch it. DONT!)

All of them are bad, are terrible, are horrendous and offensive!

Because of the curse, my brothers.

Dont create movies based on games, you dont want to mess with a God do you?

So stay away. Garrett is here, on the PC. Not in a movie screen.

Or Thief will be fated to suck in the movie theaters, and that would be a shame for all of us.

(And a waste of money)

Hypevosa
9th Sep 2010, 15:45
So if we made the movie for free though, it would break the curse... no?

AlexOfSpades
9th Sep 2010, 16:06
So if we made the movie for free though, it would break the curse... no?

I think so, that would be great. Thief movie for all taffers! Free!

Garrett would be pleased. I mean, he doesnt look the type that would pay to watch something.

Would Garrett pay to go to a Movie Theater? Or would he steal some pirate copies?

Maybe he would go with Viktoria~

Hypevosa
9th Sep 2010, 17:07
I don't think viktoria would like movies so much because of the environment and orderliness of it. She strikes me as someone who would much prefer a good play given the more organic and sometimes chaotic nature of it.

I couldn't help but see her and Garrett sitting on a tree branch overlooking a theatre wall and watching a play... damn my inner romantic and inability to draw.

AlexOfSpades
9th Sep 2010, 19:16
damn my inner romantic and inability to draw.

We're on the same boat.

Oh, if i could just... make people see whats inside my head!

jtr7
21st Sep 2010, 22:06
Well well well, Stephen Russell, or a sound-alike, has apparently voiced the protagonist of BioShock Infinite, Booker DeWitt. All I need to know is if he did it for sure, and did he do the voice-work this year, or last (or both). The sooner he did it, the better our chances, if EM chooses, international travel and green-card/work visa/passport issues aside. So far, everyone is speculating but pretty sure it's him.

ilion
21st Sep 2010, 22:29
Its Stephen Russel in the Bioshock trailer alright, dont forget he also made some voices for Fallout 3 so I think we will pretty much have him for thief 4.

jtr7
21st Sep 2010, 22:35
Fallout 3 was long before he was a card-carrying feature film actor, and was recorded in the United States.

ilion
21st Sep 2010, 22:39
Really?... :( Well who knows.., he also appeared in system shock 2 so i guess Levine knows him, after all Thief its one of his favourite games.

Unstoppable
21st Sep 2010, 22:44
Well well well, Stephen Russell, or a sound-alike, has apparently voiced the protagonist of BioShock Infinite, Booker DeWitt. All I need to know is if he did it for sure, and did he do the voice-work this year, or last (or both). The sooner he did it, the better our chances, if EM chooses, international travel and green-card/work visa/passport issues aside. So far, everyone is speculating but pretty sure it's him.

Here's how I felt when I saw this made another thread in Black Cat Games Forums.

So 10 minutes of Bioshock Infinite gameplay. are now available. Question is why should you give a flying 2 cents for this game.

Well have a look at the first 20 seconds. Recognize that voice? What about before the voice what looks to be some similar use of cut scene from some other game people on here cherish.

http://kotaku.com/5644075/ten-minutes-with-bioshock-infinite

Well in case you didn't know the cut scene is eerily similar to that of the Thief games. Even more creepy is the fact that the voice actor is Garett himself. Steven Russel appears to be the main actor in Bioshock Infinite.

Please insert your credit card, cash, or hell just give them your wallet at the nearest local store for your pre order. I just got owned by Irrational games.

jtr7
21st Sep 2010, 22:47
Really?... :( Well who knows.., he also appeared in system shock 2 so i guess Levine knows him, after all Thief its one of his favourite games.

Heh. Yep. Also, Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich, Arx Fatalis, and most games he's done have those Looking Glass alum connections. As long as he's available, he's got fans in the industry willing to write him a part or two. Of greatest concern are the two facts that EM has only said they might have Stephen back, and none of them are LGS alum.

And, Unstoppable, I only buy games I can play, and frenetic button-mashing action ain't gonna get my money, even though I wish to support individuals involved in the creation of a title. :p

Unstoppable
21st Sep 2010, 22:59
Heh. Yep. Also, Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich, Arx Fatalis, and most games he's done have those Looking Glass alum connections. As long as he's available, he's got fans in the industry willing to write him a part or two. Of greatest concern are the two facts that EM has only said they might have Stephen back, and none of them are LGS alum.

And, Unstoppable, I only buy games I can play, and frenetic button-mashing action ain't gonna get my money, even though I wish to support individuals involved in the creation of a title. :p

That's what they all say. Non believers. Just wait till Stephen Russel comes to your house with a fresh demo, muahaha. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Silent Taffer
26th Sep 2010, 17:05

Resident Evil (Bleh)

(And a waste of money)

I agree that many, many video game based games are bad. Some you had up there weren't that terrible: I actually liked the cheesiness of Resident Evil Movies. I am the only person in the world that liked Doom because I went seeing it thinking it was going to be very bad. But when the Rock said: "I'm not supposed to die!!!", that's it, I loved it.

Some good movies, or at least ones that try to be better then the above:

Silent Hill. It had the weird, surreal feel of the game, characters, and even a symbolic ending.
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Jake Gyl.. Gylly,, Gababdegood and Jerry Bruckheimer. If you like those 2, like I do, then you must like POP.
Final Fantasy VII Advent Children: what Final Fantasy Spirits Within should have been, but with an additional 15 minutes of explanations for those that don't know the backstory.
Dante’s Inferno: An Animated Epic. This was good.
Also, people actually liked Mortal Kombat.

And believe it or not, fan made movies are getting better: http://www.mgs-philanthropy.net/main/?page_id=166&lang=en
It's a fan-made Metal Gear Solid movie that's rather good, so much so that the creator of the game Hideo Kojima, was impressed. The 2 minute credit intro, which starts about 11 minutes in, is worth seeing alone. It did have a budget of $15,000, which most fans don't exactly have lying around.

Tafferite
28th Sep 2010, 01:32
I think Stephen Russell will reprise his role BUT

I have a perfect alternative voice actor..

Mitch Pileggi of X files fame! Look him up, he sounds esactly like Garret.

jtr7
28th Sep 2010, 01:44
A lot of people sound like Garrett when he's talking to himself, but it quickly loses sameness with any emotive volume.

massimilianogoi
28th Sep 2010, 07:26
I have only one reason that makes me Not Want a movie based on Thief.

The reason is: the curse.

As the legend tells... :

Long time ago, a mysterious man became very rich with a video game. But it wasnt enough. He got greedy, he wanted more and more. He wanted wealth and infinite power.

So he wanted to create a movie, based on the game, to become twice as rich!
Nothing would stop him!
He wanted to become so rich that he could be compared to a deity, limitless, eternal!

But that is not a right of the mortals. And up there, a voice came, crushing the silence like a thunder, screaming:" How dare you, mortal?! Gods arent made of gold, greedy human fool!"

And he layed a curse upon all the movies based on games that would last for a milennia.

Resident Evil (Bleh)

Because of the curse, my brothers.

Dont create movies based on games, you dont want to mess with a God do you?

So stay away. Garrett is here, on the PC. Not in a movie screen.

Or Thief will be fated to suck in the movie theaters, and that would be a shame for all of us.

(And a waste of money)

You've forgot, in your comic tale, to mention the directors. Who were the directors of those movies?? There you'll find the reason of their fault. But if Thron would make a movie about Thief, surely it will be something genial.

Let's not forget that Thron was one of the main fathers of the Thief games, and the Thief world.

Firetaffer
17th Jan 2011, 02:40
IS HIS VOICE AWESOME? or is it just me? I mean it's so awesome :eek:

That's not the point of this thread, the point is that I have recently watched a video of the game 'Call of Cthulu Dark Corners of the Earth' and the main characters voice is very similar to Garrett's. Does anyone know whether they are the same guy? Also, is there any information on whether Thief 4 will feature the same voice actor? The game wouldn't be the same without him :(.

xDarknessFallsx
17th Jan 2011, 03:57
--

ChristheThief
17th Jan 2011, 08:28
We haven't got enough infomation on whether or not Stephen Russell will return for Thief IV, the only lead we have is 'The Hand of Mystery' and that's not much

Anyway, if Thief IV doesn't have Stephen Russell as a voice actor it would be very disappointing.

xDarknessFallsx
17th Jan 2011, 20:17
--

Sasssycoy
23rd Jan 2011, 19:25
I agree, it just wouldn't be the same without his very origanal voice. He's perfect for the part, no one else could do as good of a job as he does.

KittyCatAngel
23rd Jan 2011, 19:50
It is awesome. The best voice IN THE WORLD. I could listen to it forever.

jtr7
23rd Jan 2011, 22:07
Google the name of a game and the word "credits" and you can find out who voiced what for most titles. Sites like Mobygames.com list credits, but it's kinda like a Wiki where the info isn't always accurate. You can also Google the name of a game and the terms "manual" and "pdf," to see if there's a printable download of the game manual which often includes the credits.

You aren't alone as the majority here want Stephen Russell back, and certainly no replacement if Garrett's back. What Stephen does, but in his own way, is not too dissimilar to the voicing decisions behind many male leads in a gritty world, so it's usually coincidence his Garrett sounds alike to other lead characters.

KittyCatAngel
24th Jan 2011, 10:52
Except Stephen Russel just does it the best. He knows just where to put his inflections and intonation. AMAZING!

Myth
24th Jan 2011, 13:07
Stephen Russel is the only one capable of being Garret's voice.

jtr7
24th Jan 2011, 23:29
Exactly. Like I said, no replacement.

Blue Sky
25th Jan 2011, 13:31
Dark Corners of the Earth is an absolutely brilliant game, and I'm sure it got a lot of influence from Thief in terms of its tone and atmosphere, and the odd bit of gameplay which requires stealth.

I do love that game. Absolutely amazing scripted scares and action sequences.

Platinumoxicity
25th Jan 2011, 14:05
Dark Corners of the Earth is an absolutely brilliant game, and I'm sure it got a lot of influence from Thief in terms of its tone and atmosphere, and the odd bit of gameplay which requires stealth.

I do love that game. Absolutely amazing scripted scares and action sequences.

The parts in the end weren't as good though. All the shooting drove the game in the wrong direction, and the interdimensional alien-built underwater city didn't look nearly as alien as it should've looked. I know it's not supposed to be R'lyeh, but at least it should've had some indescribable architecture. Maybe the devs ran out of imagination.

But the way the Lovecraftian monsters were shown was effective, because the encounters were very scarce. Cthulhu's star spawn always came at you in the most unpredictable moments. And it was nice that they didn't actually show Cthulhu itself.

Sharazito
2nd Feb 2011, 23:19
Yes.. His voice is nice..

carrycorrie
10th Feb 2011, 03:45
I could not imagine Garrett sounding like anybody else. His grungy voice and clever quips make the character come alive.

Platinumoxicity
10th Feb 2011, 05:32
You've forgot, in your comic tale, to mention the directors. Who were the directors of those movies?? There you'll find the reason of their fault. But if Thron would make a movie about Thief, surely it will be something genial.

Uwe Boll is so greedy and stupid that I wonder if he would say yes if someone would give him the opportunity to earn 1000$ if he kills himself.

Video game movies are never made by fans of the games. They're always made by opportunistic lowlifes that want very badly to make movies that sell but they have absolutely no talent. They hijack a succesful name so that they can go fishing for those few dollars that are thrown in by the first idiots that walk in the theater. Then there is Uwe Boll. He has admitted publicly that he doesn't care how bad his movies are. He just invests a little bit money on production, takes a popular name and sticks it on the movies, and hopes that he gets some profit to cover whatever he spent making the poor excuse of a movie.

JacktheBox
8th Mar 2011, 02:23
Stephen Russell has a sexy voice, the argument was won before it began.

jtr7
8th Mar 2011, 02:38
:cool: :thumb:

And that voice isn't even his native accent!

Sneaking human
8th Mar 2011, 18:27
Garret - it's only Stephen Russell's voice. Brilliant voice

Fizbop
9th Mar 2011, 04:18
I vote the same Being he's the only voice I've heard and it sounds right.

xDarknessFallsx
9th Mar 2011, 05:37
--

fbdbh
9th Mar 2011, 20:11
I think there is a good chance for S.R. to come back, since he worked on Fallout 3 also, and his acting career didn't made him a star. So he's still around.

Besides, I'm not only interested in his Garrett voice, but others as well (guards, servants, Eye... God, he's brilliant).

Platinumoxicity
9th Mar 2011, 21:05
SR did the voices for Garrett, hammerites, servants, Benny, etc. Dan Thron did the voice of The Eye, Ramirez and I think he also did "serious guard".

jtr7
10th Mar 2011, 03:17
Dan Thron did the Smart Guard (straight man to S.R.'s Dumb Guard/Benny), a second guard (often drunk and stupid, but not S.R.'s Benny: "Evening Dante!" "I want to know who came up with the stupid idea: No Drinking On Duty!"), both fighting archer voices in Life of the Party, The Eye, the original Keeper Orland, a Keeper filling the same role as Nate Wells's "Artemus" liaison to Garrett, ApeBeasts, Ramirez, and Cutty.

ChristheThief
10th Mar 2011, 20:58
Only SR should do the voice for Garrett, to do so otherwise would be a fatel mistake.

Fizbop
10th Mar 2011, 21:16
Only SR should do the voice for Garrett, to do so otherwise would be a fatel mistake.

Stephen may not be available to do the voice acting. Trying to find this guy online is like trying to find waldo and they didn't put him in the picture.

jtr7
11th Mar 2011, 01:35
His playground is W.H.A.T., the Wellfleet Harbor Actors Theatre. He's recently become a card-carrying member of the Screen Actors' Guild--which an actor can get into if they can get a supporting part (or even a good extra part) in three films, which he did: Noelle, Chatham/Golden Boys, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past...

The Blue Heron Inn was named after a place near where he resides in Cape Cod. My concern is that for the previous games he's worked on, he did his work in the U.S. and in his home state, but now he'd have to travel to London or Montreal, need a work visa and passport, or else, Paul Weir would have to come to him. For most of the games and movies he's done, he could stay in the same state and drive to the location.

Nthon
27th Mar 2011, 21:27
Cmon Stop *****ing about Garretts voice! Why are you talking about this? This is so Stupid! "Stephen Rusell must be Garrett If not change the protagonist!! " OMG Grow UP! I think is more important that the game is well done.. Thats have a good history.. Nice evyroment.. If they change Stephen Russel What? You will not play the game? :lmao:

AlexOfSpades
27th Mar 2011, 22:35
Cmon Stop *****ing about Garretts voice! Why are you talking about this? This is so Stupid! "Stephen Rusell must be Garrett If not change the protagonist!! " OMG Grow UP! I think is more important that the game is well done.. Thats have a good history.. Nice evyroment.. If they change Stephen Russel What? You will not play the game? :lmao:

We're a selective audience.

We want that the game is well done, with a good history, a nice environment AND Stephen Russel's voice, among many other requirements.

"OMG grow up" ?

HAHA, the newbies these days...