PDA

View Full Version : VOICE ACTORS: STEPHEN RUSSELL must be Garrett - Other actors - all discussion

Pages : 1 [2]

jtr7
27th Mar 2011, 22:37
Another wrench in the fun machine.

Hypevosa
27th Mar 2011, 22:38
It isn't so much that we'd automatically hate the game if Stephen Russell wasn't in it (or I hope that's not the case), but simply that we'd enjoy it much, much more if he was.

Nephthys
27th Mar 2011, 22:40
it's like when a franchise of movies takes up a new actor to be the main protagonist. It doesn't always go over well with the people familiar with it.

jtr7
27th Mar 2011, 22:55
Does Nthon like anything enough to wish to see/hear more of it in another title, or is it just about the stealing stuff (nothing new or different there, either)? If comments like that can be said about one iconic thing after another, what isn't expendable? If a game is all that matters, then there are thousands to choose from.

Sublimer
19th Jan 2012, 17:12
I subscribed just to say:
Garrett has the most intriguing, mystical and captivating voice as a thief EVER! :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Jan 2012, 22:47
Garrett has the most intriguing, mystical and captivating voice as a thief EVER! :)

Hehe, awesome first post! Welcome! :D

I concur with all you say, of course! :thumb:

Demoni91
20th Jan 2012, 01:09

I swear the same guy did mercer's voice and a few others in Skyrim..never forget that voice ! :naughty:

Kodaemon
20th Jan 2012, 09:14
No need for swearing, it is him. Stephen Russell.

Platinumoxicity
20th Jan 2012, 09:30
I swear the same guy did mercer's voice and a few others in Skyrim..never forget that voice ! :naughty:

Russell did half the voices in that game. Mercer's voice was a slight dragging variation of his Garrett- voice, and that annoying Whiterun trader was a 50/50 mix of Garrett and Benny. :D I think the thief Cynric was deliberately made to resemble Garrett because his voice is closest to Garrett's.

One thing that I don't get is why Russell didn't do his Hammerite voice in Skyrim at all. Maybe he has forgotten how to get that sound. There are lots of Bennys and Garretts but no Hammers.

Anyway, his extensive involvement in Skyrim and with thieves pretty much says that it's guaranteed that Russell will voice Garrett in Thief 4.

Kodaemon
20th Jan 2012, 09:40
I don't think he forgot the Hammerite voice, as he seems to allude to it in Fallout 3 as Mr Handy (HAVE AT THEE!).

Another characteristic Thief-related voice he uses in Skyrim is the voice for Clavicus Vile, which is practically the same as Morris the cook from Thief 3.

Sublimer
20th Jan 2012, 12:14
I forgot to add "mesmerizing" as well !

Now I need to set up my salvaged Pentium II MMX laptop with a 12'' screen, to play Thief I and Thief II, cause I haven't ever :(
( I was living in a whole other world at the time of their release :p )

cGREGgo
20th Jan 2012, 13:38
Welcome to the waiting room! :nut:

You're right, the voice is unforgettable. It reminds me of James Earl Jones. I was watching Two and a Half Men recently & Charlies friend (played by Emilio Estevez) died on the deck while they were smoking cigars. So Charlie hired James Earl Jones to give the speach at his funeral, ha! And Allen makes him record his answering machine message. That's my favorite show, I know it has nothing to do with Thief, but I had to get it out anyway...

:lmao:

Sublimer
20th Jan 2012, 16:57
Yes! James Earl Jones has a characteristic voice but I reckon that the voice's tone is amplified in your mind because you didn't know what he looked like the first time you heard him :)

What I mean to say of'course is that I'd rather not see Stephen's face :p

Kodaemon
20th Jan 2012, 19:42
There's actually a quite convincing photoshop/fanart floating around of him as Garrett.

Nephthys
20th Jan 2012, 20:19
Anyway, his extensive involvement in Skyrim and with thieves pretty much says that it's guaranteed that Russell will voice Garrett in Thief 4.

Let's hope that bodes well for Thief 4 that he is still involved in the Game industry. It would be straight silly if EM didn't approach him if they intend to place Garrett in it.

Hungry Hungry Lilac
20th Jan 2012, 21:52
I agree so much! One of my favourite voices ever. And welcome to the forum, Sublimer.

Platinumoxicity
21st Jan 2012, 00:33
I don't think he forgot the Hammerite voice, as he seems to allude to it in Fallout 3 as Mr Handy (HAVE AT THEE!).

Mr Handy doesn't sound as much like the old hammerite as most Russell's voiced characters do in Skyrim, while they are attacking. Probably because of the deliberately overacted nature of Mr Handy's voicework.

In Thief there were 2 types of hammerite voices. The deep gravely voice, and Russell's rotten throat hammerite voice. In Skyrim there are all the other voices that Russell does, Garrett, Benny, servant... but not old-tired-hammerite.

Another characteristic Thief-related voice he uses in Skyrim is the voice for Clavicus Vile, which is practically the same as Morris the cook from Thief 3.

Damn you beat me to the correction. Yes, that annoying daedra is in fact the ninny servant (and morris), by Russell.

Speaking of annoying daedrae, the hilarious Sheogorath is voiced exactly like Mr Krab in Spongebob Squarepants, and by the same actor.

Tryst
15th Feb 2012, 00:20
I have a friend who can imitate Garrett perfectly. Maybe not so good at making up new line with the same cynical twist but when he copies some of the audio clips from the game, it sounds good.

I am just now getting over a bout of laryngitis and my voice is starting to come back. My friend laughed because I sound exactly like Jensen from Deus Ex HR.

CaptainObvious
16th Feb 2012, 08:55
I grew up with the german dub of Thief and think that voice is better, but Russel's voice is fine too.:rasp:

whitefrog
26th Mar 2012, 12:18
I totally agree... awesome voice. Second only to Simon Templeman who did the voice for Kain in 'The Legacy of Kain' saga.

Hamadriyad
26th Mar 2012, 12:42
Bad thing is we don't know yet If Stephen Russell will be Garrett's voice again. It will be a shame If he won't be.

zcapp96
26th Mar 2012, 13:49
I totally agree... awesome voice. Second only to Simon Templeman who did the voice for Kain in 'The Legacy of Kain' saga.

Simon Templeman is good but not as good as Tony Jay was! Incidently, I've always thought that Joss Ackland would make a brilliant replacement for Tony as the Elder God. In fact, when I first played Th LoK series I thought it was him!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Mar 2012, 23:55
Similar old thread for perusal:

VOICE ACTORS: STEPHEN RUSSELL must be Garrett
- http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=88806

... and merged. :thumb:

george12123
27th Mar 2012, 15:00
NO sod all this english nonsense.
Thief should be done in KLINGON!

fraz33r
28th Mar 2012, 01:02
Not sure, If anyone have heard this before, but a compilation of our own Garett..

Credit: to the uploader and whoever complied it.

cHyPS6b4thQ

BTW; My first post after years of being a lurker..;) waiting to see who bites the bait for the Audio director of the epic game :scratch: . This is the most toughest decision for any field director out there trying to "top" what Mr Brosius has done to this franchise..

Edit: The Youtube tags dont seem to work, here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHyPS6b4thQ

fraz33r
29th Mar 2012, 23:42
Paul Weir probably took care of most of the audio legwork for T4 during his EM tenure of a couple or few(?) years. The GRAMPS generative audio tool he worked on for T4 sounded promising.

Where can i hear the GRAMPS audio? Did i miss something. The only thing i have heard is the demos on earcom's page probably uploaded by PW.

http://earcom.net/demos.html

Keeper_Riff
30th Mar 2012, 06:01
Where can i hear the GRAMPS audio?

Is this what you mean?
ftp://djriff.homeftp.net/projects/thief4/GDC_2011_Paul_Weir.mp3

fraz33r
30th Mar 2012, 23:11
^^
The above link did not open DJ.

Keeper_Riff
31st Mar 2012, 07:47
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNbmwn-pTQ

JamesPup
27th May 2012, 08:35
I just started the Thief 2 and 3 and Stephen Russell was the voice in them and he is needed for all Thief games. I started with the second thief and did the third one too but never have done the first one. I loved the second one but I just got stuck at the 5th level eavesdropping today. I am putting the safe key at the alter and I have the mold copy but it is not working. I’m going to have to retry the level and I never like using walkthroughs and I know I had it right before and it still is not working. I think there is a problem with that level and I had it before like 11 years ago. Stephen did better in the 2nd one and the 3rd one starts off like he’s sitting down with glasses on but it is still cool. Why not get Stephen involved more and feeling good about the voice over’s, there important. I saw that the same voice over’s were reused from the second game. Why not have new and multiple different voice over sayings for the same actions. It gets repetitive sometimes. The voice over’s are a key to this game and there always top level in content and wording from all actors. I never beat the third one because I got stuck like after the clock tower and I was suppose to climb a ledge or something but spent hours trying to do it and even tried a walk through but could not figure it out. The same thing for me with the second X-men game they had out in 2006 or something, it was to hard to figure out. Make sure the game is not that hard with the on your own thinking. Like when you have to have a paper and pen. The game could do it for you and write it down for that level or area. The voicing is nice but its to hard to remember the whole conversation, so important things should be recorded so you can read them your self later. Some people only have a few hours to put into a game and some levels take more then that if your new or don’t remember them.

Plus it would be fun to read Thief 1,2 and 3 as a book or motion comic. They are awesome and I’d love to watch a whole game as a motion comic. With new graphics and art design and the same or new voice over’s. It could be like a walk through but the visual could be like a motion comic and the voice over’s could be the same ones or new ones. Because it takes a lot to replay a game and it would be so much easier to just listen to it as intended as the best thief ever. You have some real fun in game conversations that you can never hear again unless you play the game again and it takes to long. I thought you were losing out and so was the listener of the great in game conersaions you get eavesdropping on people.

Thank you fbdbh, I found a walkthrough that told me all the possible places I could have found it and beat the level. It was in the level 2 room above the pulpit. I'm not sure what I would have done, thanks.

fbdbh
27th May 2012, 08:52
At the Eavesdropping mission there are some fake keys and the safe-key, and they are always randomly placed. So make sure that you are returning the safe key exactly where you found it (because you don't always find it in one place).

And play the first Thief :)

zombie32
16th Jun 2012, 06:55
Hi James You said it would be nice to watch the whole game. I found really good YouTube videos called Pacifist Playthrough for Thief 2, and each level is really long. I mean more than two hours for some levels, and it is entertaining to watch how somebody else approaches the game and solves problems along the way. I must warn you that it is a kind of ghosting approach, where Garrett never even kills the mechanical beasts but it is still very entertaining nonetheless. It is not one of these speed runs where someone plays the game in a way it was not intended to be played.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Aug 2012, 10:46
And play the first Thief :)

Seconded. :thumb:

KingFitz
23rd Aug 2012, 06:15
Yeah Stephen Russell ftw. He's the best voice ever. Is it weird that the voice of Garrett turns me on in many ways not just sexual. Lol jokes I'm not a queer. He was a voicer in skyrim in case you all didn't know. He should definitely be the voice of Garrett otherwise eidos epicly fails hard. Agreed? Case closed

DrunkenGuard
23rd Aug 2012, 11:46
This is making me have 'Thief withdrawal!' I will one day have to work out how to play some of the fan missions

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Aug 2012, 09:03
This is making me have 'Thief withdrawal!' I will one day have to work out how to play some of the fan missions

You really should work it out and play the fan missions... you won't regret it. :worship:

massimilianogoi
27th Aug 2012, 16:30
So, is it official that Stephen Russel will be the Garret's voice again? Rumours say this.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Aug 2012, 16:52
So, is it official that Stephen Russel will be the Garret's voice again? Rumours say this.

Nothing has been said on the matter since the IGN interview with D'Astous back in May 2009

Would Garrett return as the main character? Would voice actor Stephen Russell reprise his role? How would stealth be handled? Would it be open-world?

We asked D'Astous all of the above questions and were politely refused answers, although he did assure us that the game would stay true to its stealth roots, even while attempting to broaden the series' horizons...

massimilianogoi
27th Aug 2012, 17:06
The only thing to do is contacting Stephen in some way and asking directly to him, I wonder if he uses some Facebook thing...

Elvendar
11th Sep 2012, 08:15
Stephen Russell IS Garrett Granted As Voice Actor Jon St. John Is Duke Nukem But If EIDOS Goes The Celebrity Route They Could Ask Actor Viggo Mortensen To Fill In For Russell In Game Animated CGI Appearance And Voice Work As He's The Closest To Garrett In Body, Looks And Voice And Be It Game Franchise Or Thief Is Transfered To The Big Screen It IS Viggo Mortensen Who Can Fill In The Fictional Shoes Of Garrett.

pwyll
19th Sep 2012, 03:59
Of course Stephen has to be Garrett. If they change it, it will be like to change Decard Cain's voice in Diablo 3. Or even worse - to change Tyrael's voice. Inadmissible!

21st Oct 2012, 05:10
I'd definitely buy the game knowing Stephen Russel was the main protagonist. He's the bread and bones of the series! I mean in this day and age, I'm sure they could snag him. Granted, if they couldn't... I'm sure they'd have to settle on a, no doubt, "good game only held back by the fact..." ect.. ect.. by the critics. He made an appearance in Skyrim as a thief! I mean, c'mon! >_<<<<< (actually, I heard he voiced over 20-30 actors)

massimilianogoi
27th Oct 2012, 13:26
Maybe I've found it in another game...

See this other thread of mine: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=129633

Achondar
3rd Nov 2012, 09:54
Not just Garrett's voice, but the four (I think) distinct voices of the guards make this game. Stephen was responsible for most of them, wasn't he?

While I wouldn't mind some new guys to come and voice the guards, the classic ones must return!

PhilR1
30th Nov 2012, 13:18
Anyone else think the voice acting & dialogue is the best in any game?

Classics like 'I'll be seeing Goblins next!'
'Is he sleeping? No he's dead!'
'That city-head he be's deaded!'
And my all-time favourite - 'What's all this rumpus!' just makes me LOL for real ;o) It's just the way the guard says it makes it a brilliant line. Anyone else got any favourite lines from Deadly Shadows?

Also the conversation about warts between the two guards in South Quarter early game is hilarious!

Wouldn't it be amazing if our favourite guards appeared in Thief 4? If Eidos Montreal can make such an incredible new Deus Ex game, just imagine what they can do with a new Thief game.

Tryst
1st Dec 2012, 10:21
There is only one all-time favourite guard... BENNY!

Just listening to his drunken grumbling will have you laughing your socks off.

"I'm a big bad, guardy type person." :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Dec 2012, 10:29
"I'm a big bad, guardy type person." :D

Hehe, I should sport this as my signature. :D :naughty:

Tryst
1st Dec 2012, 16:27
Hehe, I should sport this as my signature. :D :naughty:
Great minds think alike. Being a security guard myself IRL, it would be quite fitting. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-V9T0SiWvA
http://videosift.com/video/Benny-the-Guards-medical-conundrum-Thief-3

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Dec 2012, 17:12
It's hilarious. :D
Next time I have to remind people of the rules, I shall quote this. :D

EDIT: I just used it in this post:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1822274&postcount=1423

:naughty: :D

massimilianogoi
6th Dec 2012, 03:47
Anyone else think the voice acting & dialogue is the best in any game?

Classics like 'I'll be seeing Goblins next!'
'Is he sleeping? No he's dead!'
'That city-head he be's deaded!'
And my all-time favourite - 'What's all this rumpus!' just makes me LOL for real ;o) It's just the way the guard says it makes it a brilliant line. Anyone else got any favourite lines from Deadly Shadows?

Also the conversation about warts between the two guards in South Quarter early game is hilarious!

Wouldn't it be amazing if our favourite guards appeared in Thief 4? If Eidos Montreal can make such an incredible new Deus Ex game, just imagine what they can do with a new Thief game.

Even though I widely prefere Thief: Deadly Shadows, I have to admit that the most funny dialogues are in Thief II: The Metal Age:

mc30606A: I tell thee, for thou art my friend, that I wish the Children of Karras were more, uh-m...mild seeming.
mc10606B: Thou'rt not the first to be afeared of them. (Small chuckle) For their visage is wrought to strike terror into the enemies of Karrasss... or... those who might consider becoming enemies.
mc30606C: Well, and it might. For it near strikes terror into mine own heart.
mc10606D: Thinkest thou thy own soft body of leaky flesh and wheezing gasses is glorious to the eyes of The Builder? Nay! 'Tis thy soul that is the only thing of any worth! So it is with the children of Karras, for they are the blessed and immortal heirs of The Builder, while I and thou are but the paltry tools that forged them.
mc30606E: As thou sayest.
mc10606F: (Quietly, to himself) What a fool.... Karras would be well rid of that one.

And again:

sg11101A: ...and I'm telling you that the only stench heartier than your rotting burrick of a master, is the liquor on his fetid breath! If he comes near Lady van Vernon again, we'll boil his knickers..
sg51101B: (Scoffing) Whoa-ho! Mighty fine words, coming from a knock-kneed, inbred page-boy, such as yourself. Our good Master Willey wouldn't be caught near that frumpy... little trollop... unless he were holding her back at the end of a halberd!!
sg11101C: Huh... (Angry, proclaiming loudly) How dare you defile the name of someone so good and virtuous as the Lady van Vernon?!! Our Lady is a saint among mortal women! An angel so pure the heavens couldn't hold her!!
sg51101D: ...BOOHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHH... AAH, your Lady... an 'angel'?? You're lucky the Dockside whorekeeps aren't bashing down her door for stealing their clientele!! Why, just last night, I saw her out back, (lewdly) warming up the stable-boy??
Sg11101E: (Furious) Such slander will not be tolerated while we're on watch!! You'd best run and rescue your helpless limp lord, before he flounders in his own vomit...or wakes up naked in a hen-coop!! Scurry off!! Or you'll acquire some unnecessary 'ventilation'!
sg51101F: (Incensed) Is that a threat, you, shriveled old maid?! You go to prick us with your sewing needles?... On this side a' the street, we shoot like soldiers! So don't make promises your arrows can't keep!!
Sg11101G: (Hysterical) You've gone... you've gone too far this time, you, camel-mannered, tunic-wearing, molly-coddle!! An arrow to the throat ought to shut you up!
sg51101H: (Roaring) Rraaaah! Have at thee!!

I have to specify that the voice of the sergeant 1 (sg1 prefix) is made by Dan Thron (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1111867/).

tarvis79
6th Dec 2012, 04:18
That archer fight reminds me of Monty Python, and is my favorite moment in the best level of Thief 2 (and probably my #4 level in the series).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Dec 2012, 01:27
That archer fight reminds me of Monty Python, and is my favorite moment in the best level of Thief 2 (and probably my #4 level in the series).

Yeah, one of my fave moments too. :thumb:

slipknot
4th Jan 2013, 15:52
Do you recognize this voice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E65MEz8f710&feature=youtu.be

Chilliwack
6th Jan 2013, 09:52
If you had your way, who would you want to see cast in Thief 4?

Obviously Stephen Russell would be Garrett (if he is the protagonist), and we would certainly want Benny and the other recognizable guards to return.

But who else would you want to see, cast either as a villain, or as an important character?

I myself think that Kelsey Grammer would be an excellent choice. He sounds classy and educated enough to be a nobleman, a hammer, or a keeper.... though maybe not a pagan. And as we all know, he can be a fantastic villain, even moreso when it's not played for laughs. Can you imagine HIS voice menacing you through loudspeakers on a final mission?

I think he would make a good Baron.

Edit: (I got moved! Sorry, thought this thread was only about Stephen Russell.)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Jan 2013, 11:20
If you had your way, who would you want to see cast in Thief 4?

Obviously Stephen Russell would be Garrett (if he is the protagonist), and we would certainly want Benny and the other recognizable guards to return.

But who else would you want to see, cast either as a villain, or as an important character?

I myself think that Kelsey Grammer would be an excellent choice. He sounds classy and educated enough to be a nobleman, a hammer, or a keeper.... though maybe not a pagan. And as we all know, he can be a fantastic villain, even moreso when it's not played for laughs. Can you imagine HIS voice menacing you through loudspeakers on a final mission?

I think he would make a good Baron.

Had a listen of his voice on YT and I agree he sounds good. I expect he can change his tone accordingly.

Resetti's Replicas
12th Jan 2013, 03:44
If, Builder/Trickster Forbid, they can't get Stephen, I'd nominate Crispin Freeman, voice of Kyon in the english dub of "Haruhi Suzumiya." Kyon is the cynical/sarcastic straight man with frequent sharp and witty inner monologues. Long story short, Freeman nailed it.

Other than that, maybe they could get one of the voices from Team Fortress 2, they all did a good job with theirs. For the villain, I want Ellen Mclain, ie GLaDOS from Portal. Sadistic female antagonist? Yes please.

Chilliwack
12th Jan 2013, 12:04
If, Builder/Trickster Forbid, they can't get Stephen, I'd nominate Crispin Freeman, voice of Kyon in the english dub of "Haruhi Suzumiya." Kyon is the cynical/sarcastic straight man with frequent sharp and witty inner monologues. Long story short, Freeman nailed it.

Other than that, maybe they could get one of the voices from Team Fortress 2, they all did a good job with theirs. For the villain, I want Ellen Mclain, ie GLaDOS from Portal. Sadistic female antagonist? Yes please.

Gamall was a sadistic female antagonist.

Not saying we wouldn't want another female, just saying, we had one. :)

As for Crispin Freeman... Oh yeah. Definitely villain material. I can totally see him as a supernaturally evil character, possibly a heavily corrupted human, or a malevolent sorcerer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiMJCspS9Fc

Come to think of it... we've had villains from the Hammerites, the Pagans, and the Keepers.... what about the Hand Brotherhood?

While we're on the subject, what caused the great catastrophe? Was it the dark machinations of an evil sorcerer who intended to use the Eye for his unholy magic? Did it work all too well? If so, the villain should be voiced by Crispin. Perhaps the spirit of Azaran the Cruel still lives.

Platinumoxicity
13th Jan 2013, 17:13
While we're on the subject, what caused the great catastrophe? Was it the dark machinations of an evil sorcerer who intended to use the Eye for his unholy magic? Did it work all too well?

The Eye is an amoral entity with entirely selfish ambitions, apart from its part in the Glyph Failsafe. The cataclysm was probably entirely caused by the Eye itself. The hammerites wanted to contain what they thought to be an evil pagan artifact, and the Eye just wanted to sit there above the altar and watch the people going about their business. That's its hobby. The hammerites tried to lock it up again and again, until the Eye finally got tired of the fools' efforts of imprisoning it in the cellar safe, and unleashed its powers on the city. Basically it did it for fun. This is just my opinion however. Most of it is supported by the lore I think.

There was no evil sorcerer. The Eye is not a necromancer artifact, or a pagan natural magic artifact. Its abilities however are powerful enough for it to be skilled in both schools of magic, due to it having been created out of the consciousness of an ancient master keeper. And by the way, the amount of power the Eye has was probably exactly the reason why Constantine abducted and subdued it. The old senile demigod just didn't have what it takes to take on the modern world anymore, so the Trickster had to steal the keepers' magic for his Dark Project by forcefully tapping into the Eye's power. Otherwise his obsolete forest magic from ancient times just wouldn't have been enough to oppose civilization and the order of the Hammer, the original vanquishers of the Trickster who drove him into hiding all the way until the events of TDP.

lorax1284
15th Jan 2013, 04:32
I stumbled across this thread and thought that I just might boycott Thief 4 if Stephen Russell isn't the voice of Garrett, but the first thing that occurred to me as a suggestion "If you're not going to use Stephen Russell, then there is only one other choice you can make: Estelle Harris."

I. would. DIE. laughing. Oh, just to have ONE cutscene with real Thief 4 dialog, only with Estelle Harris (ad-libbing allowed) doing her very exceptionally perfect "thing". Ah, a few minutes of pure joy, that would be.

You can't imagine how I waited for a single, perfect moment in Skyrim where a key NPC Thief would speak with Stephen's non-Belethor-infused voice and say his name is "Barrett" or something. Then your dialog option would be "Barrett... are you sure you're not..." and you are interrupted with "I have a twin brother.". End of conversation.

But, who wants to see all that suing going on.

Platinumoxicity
18th Jan 2013, 10:23
Speaking of Garrett's voice... I wonder what Garrett might say this time, in Thief 4. So far it has been:

-It's a long way down.
-It's a loong way up.
-It's a long way... but down is always easier than up.

So I'm guessing that in Thief 4 he'll say: It's a long way, but I suppose going slowly up is a lot better than going fast down.

You can't imagine how I waited for a single, perfect moment in Skyrim where a key NPC Thief would speak with Stephen's non-Belethor-infused voice and say his name is "Barrett" or something. Then your dialog option would be "Barrett... are you sure you're not..." and you are interrupted with "I have a twin brother.". End of conversation.

There's a Thieves guild member with Garrett's actual voice, and his right eye is always covered by his hood.

And I always wondered if Russell had something to do with the quests writing process too, because the first quest you recieve from a character voiced by him, is called Valerius, and the quest involves thieves. Or maybe the guys at Bethesda were familiar with Thief, and deliberately made a homage, including Garrett's voice actor too.

By the way, Russell apparently has a long-term contract with Bethesda, because he did a lot of voice work for Dawnguard too, which I just recently got. I hope it isn't some restrictive slave contract that denies his participation in any other castings. Like in Thief.

SlyFoxx
21st Jan 2013, 03:39
Kelsey Grammer

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/DromEd/hhfp.jpg

contrarian
21st Jan 2013, 12:27
The single best voice out there:

Patrick Stewart.....can you say Jean Luc Picard? I knew you could.

Stephen Russell has become so overused, so cliche in the video game universe, that I say he must NOT be Garrett, if we are to see him again.

Platinumoxicity
31st Jan 2013, 09:31
By the way, I just played the Thieves Guild missions in Skyrim again, and found another Cynric-Garrett reference. He's basically the game's main Thief-cameo, complete with Russell's Garrett-voice and a hood that covers his right eye.

There's a letter, where someone requires Cynric's special talents to break into a prison mining complex to break out a friend incarcerated there. I doubt that there's need to explain how that's related to Thief.

Hamadriyad
31st Jan 2013, 10:00
Could you please explain how that's reated to Thief? :P (just taffin' around.)
I really need to play Skyrim.

Arrakim1
31st Jan 2013, 17:00
The single best voice out there:

Patrick Stewart.....can you say Jean Luc Picard? I knew you could.

Stephen Russell has become so overused, so cliche in the video game universe, that I say he must NOT be Garrett, if we are to see him again.

Patrick Stewart has a great voice. He did the role as the emperor in Elder Scrolls Oblivion. But I´m not sure I follow here. Do you really mean you wish too hear his voice as Garrett:hmm:

contrarian
31st Jan 2013, 23:12
Hey ARRAKIM1, although Stephen Russell did a fabulous job as Garrett, I don't want his voice, in fact, I don't even want Garrett. Russell is one of those overused, cliched voices that you hear all over the place. There are so many characters he has done that sound like Garrett, that I want another voice.

Even though I like Russell, I must admit, when I first played TDP, I was confused as to why he didn't have an English accent. It seemed pretty logical, based on the city, that we weren't in America. It was much more like 14th century medieval London than downtown Boston.

Stewart would have nailed it.

Platinumoxicity
1st Feb 2013, 07:54
I too would want every character in a history-influenced fantasy setting to have the one and the same english accent that is heard in every other historic fantasy setting in every other media too. Having Garrett have an American accent, servants having sligthly cockney accent, and hammerites talking archaic olde english would just be too much variety. That much variety would make the setting of Thief too original, and not enough like all the other media in medieval fantasy setting. And speaking of Garrett, servants and hammerites... They're all voiced by Russell, and that just shows that Russell's voice talent is way too expansive. There should just be several talentless actors doing all those voices separately, with strictly english accents. Fake if necessary. And of course, since Thief has a historic setting, they should all talk in fake poetic and dramatic ways, so that the game world would feel as distant and disconnected from reality as possible. The characters having modern day accents and language patterns and mannerisms, could accidentally make the world more believable, bringing a fantasy historical setting closer to the real-world present time that players recognize as reality.

Nightwynd
1st Feb 2013, 08:58
I agree with Platinum and contrarian. We need more generic BS.

Statue
1st Feb 2013, 16:29
Gamall was a sadistic female antagonist.

Speaking of antagonists, do we have a thread in the forum about garrets possible future antagonist/antagonistic group in thief 4?

Because this is what is probably the most essential point of a possible new thief game storywise.

We had the trickster and the pagans in Thief1
We had carras and the hammerites/mechanists in Thief 2.
We had gamal and the keepers in Thief 3.

So the three games were basically designed around one of the big three imported fractions of the city. And the main antagonist was basically the boss of one of the three fractions. (I know that this is a stretched analogy in regards to gamal, but hey...)

So my question is: What other fractions could serve this purpose?

The city watch, with a possible militaristic dictatorship guy (Inspector Drept?)
The mages and necromancers with some sort of zombie apocalypse?
The thief guild? The pirates? The burricks? ;)

Nephthys
5th Mar 2013, 22:11
Any new thoughts on this, considering the news today?

MasterTaffer
5th Mar 2013, 22:24
If Stephen Russell wants to do it, then I would hope Eidos puts him in the voice acting booth.

I anticipate a lot of parallels being made to Splinter Cell and the Michael Ironside/Sam Fisher thing in this thread until we know for sure who is playing Garrett. I think it's important to remember that Michael Ironside never had a good relationship with Sam Fisher (http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2010/03/30/splinter-cell-ubisoft-michael-ironside.html). He's publically stated multiple times that he didn't like playing the character and by the time of Double Agent was just doing it for a paycheck. In that regard, I'm actually somewhat thankful Eric Johnson took the role as it's far more important to me to ahve someone who WANTS to be there.

Now I don't know what Stephen's relationship with the role of Garrett is. But if he does not want to do it, let's not fall into the same trap of blaming EM for it. He is a voice actor, however, and is used to time in the booth. I don't see any real issues with bringing him back.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Mar 2013, 22:26
Any new thoughts on this, considering the news today?

I would be extremely surprised if EM haven't booked Stephen Russell to voice Garrett. :cool:
Having said that... it would still depend on Mr Russell's availability and his agreement to do so.

Let's hope so... :)

Yaphy
5th Mar 2013, 22:53
Uh oh. People please remember that Viktoria is not an inside informant and is not hinting any confirmation. There have often been confusions regarding this and I just want to make it clear from the start that she is making a well grounded guess and nothing more.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Mar 2013, 22:55
There have often been confusions regarding this and I just want to make it clear from the start that she is making a well grounded guess and nothing more.

Yes, thanks for watching my back. :D :friends:

TheYouthCounselor
6th Mar 2013, 00:34
I don't know... Christopher Walken would make an interesting choice... He has inventive ways of hiding loot (Watch Pulp Fiction ;)) and he'd deliver the lines in that special way of his :D

Oh... And before the angry mob turns up at my door, I. Am. Joking. O_O

I'd be damned if any Trickster's gonna put his greasy, yellow hands on my boy's birthright, so I hid it in one place I knew I could hide something - in my ass. Five long years I wore this eye up my ass.

Beside Stephen Russell and some other actors, the voice acting was hit or miss. I'm fine with leaving it up to Eidos for casting.

arkhanari
6th Mar 2013, 07:36
Stephen Russel is Garrett.

Chilliwack
6th Mar 2013, 23:30
I'd be damned if any Trickster's gonna put his greasy, yellow hands on my boy's birthright, so I hid it in one place I knew I could hide something - in my ass. Five long years I wore this eye up my ass.

Forgive me, but.... I actually would like to see that in game.

It would totally be wrong, it would defecate all over the lore, but if for nothing else but the sheer hilarious absurdity.

Anything can sound funny in Christopher Walken's voice.

nightangel1987
8th Mar 2013, 05:42
Totally agree that Stephen Russell should return to play Garrett. He IS the real Garrett!!! I think it would actually turn me away from the Thief series if Stephen Russell didn't voice Garrett.

PLEASE LET STEPHEN RUSSELL BE THE VOICE OF GARRETT!!!!

Chilliwack
8th Mar 2013, 06:35
Totally agree that Stephen Russell should return to play Garrett. He IS the real Garrett!!! I think it would actually turn me away from the Thief series if Stephen Russell didn't voice Garrett.

PLEASE LET STEPHEN RUSSELL BE THE VOICE OF GARRETT!!!!

Absolutely. Stephen Russell must be Garrett. He is Garrett.

And if for some crazy reason they CAN'T get him, they should get someone who sounds incredibly similar.

People can do some amazing impressions if you find the right person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgGCT6Ag4kk

That is NOT Mark Hamill. But would you have known that if I hadn't said so?

TheYouthCounselor
8th Mar 2013, 08:40
Forgive me, but.... I actually would like to see that in game.

It would totally be wrong, it would defecate all over the lore, but if for nothing else but the sheer hilarious absurdity.

Anything can sound funny in Christopher Walken's voice.

I'm fine for Christopher Walken playing anybody.

Morgan Wight
10th Mar 2013, 04:33
Wow, so after having a look at the Game Informer article and a few more shots of the new Garrett design . . . yeesh. Not my cup 'o tea. This is not the same miscreant that enjoyed a brandy with Constantine. I mean . . it's like they tried so hard to make him cool, that he ended up like some cliched evil warlock (see page 3). :( I just hope the dialog doesn't match the aesthetic!

Mr. Tibbs
10th Mar 2013, 04:50
In this Thief motion capture session, there's another actor performing Garrett's actions instead of Stephen Russell. Maybe if the majority of the game takes place from Garrett's perspective, they could have separate actors performing VO and motion capture. Looking at the Garrett redesign, I'm not the biggest fan. He looks very similar to an Assassin's Creed lead, except paler and thinner. I really loved Human Revolution, so I'm hoping for the best. I'm sure once we see some in-game footage, most of our concerns will be addressed or amplified.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy1asc_motion-capture-v01_videogames#.UTwOxRw6Baa

xDarknessFallsx
10th Mar 2013, 06:07
Well, they do say they're filming the facial, full body and the voice at the same time on their big day there. However, I don't see Stephen Russell there, even though Garrett looks to be there. Ruh roh

Chilliwack
10th Mar 2013, 08:07
Well, they do say they're filming the facial, full body and the voice at the same time on their big day there. However, I don't see Stephen Russell there, even though Garrett looks to be there. Ruh roh

Oh god, no.

Platinumoxicity
10th Mar 2013, 09:46

IO mocapped all the cutscenes in Absolution with full voicework too, yet David Bateson was still hired to dub 47. Splinter Cell Blacklist is doing full scene mocap too, but the only reason why Sam won't be voiced by Michael Ironside is that he's got cancer.

Chilliwack
10th Mar 2013, 10:18
IO mocapped all the cutscenes in Absolution with full voicework too, yet David Bateson was still hired to dub 47. Splinter Cell Blacklist is doing full scene mocap too, but the only reason why Sam won't be voiced by Michael Ironside is that he's got cancer.

OOohhh.... Yeah, that can kind put a damper on one's career. What a waste.... :(

But Stephen Russell, as far as I know, isn't suffering from any life-threatening ailments, so there's really no excuse for NOT having him voice Garrett.

Platinumoxicity
10th Mar 2013, 10:58
But Stephen Russell, as far as I know, isn't suffering from any life-threatening ailments, so there's really no excuse for NOT having him voice Garrett.

There are some excuses but they are horrible. Like for example, prioritizing 100% perfect lipsynching and facial animation over franchise and character consistency. Instead of going for Russell who is Garrett's voice, who knows Garrett, knows how to play him, they need the visual production quality to be top notch, even if that means that they can only hire a French-Canadian gymnast whose acting is worse than Mitt Romney's and whose accent is entirely incompatible with any media aimed at humans.

zcapp96
10th Mar 2013, 11:37
There are some excuses but they are horrible. Like for example, prioritizing 100% perfect lipsynching and facial animation over franchise and character consistency. Instead of going for Russell who is Garrett's voice, who knows Garrett, knows how to play him, they need the visual production quality to be top notch, even if that means that they can only hire a French-Canadian gymnast whose acting is worse than Mitt Romney's and whose accent is entirely incompatible with any media aimed at humans.

Or maybe that an actor that's in his 50's or 60's is not up to jumping around like a gymnast in a smooth, believable way! Doesn't mean they will not dub is voice on though.

Platinumoxicity
10th Mar 2013, 11:51
Or maybe that an actor that's in his 50's or 60's is not up to jumping around like a gymnast in a smooth, believable way! Doesn't mean they will not dub is voice on though.

Well that's exactly part of my point, with the visual quality overprioritization. Some game company might want to have perfect animations for their product, that match the voicework with precision. That's not possible if the voice actor is in his 50's or 60's. So if they don't care about the consistency of the franchise, they might abandon the original voice, for a motion+voice actor. But if you do care about the franchise, they can capture the animations and still dub the voice, and it will not look bad at all. Just look at Absolution. The dub is pretty much perfect. I don't think it makes any sense to prioritize visuals so much that you need to abandon original actors simply because there are microsecond inaccuracies in lipsynching if you look at it in 4320p in super slow motion.

fbdbh
10th Mar 2013, 12:29
I can't see no reason why Stephen Russell shouldn't be back. He's an excellent voice actor, even if older, he could do a young voice - as he did in Thief 1-2 (the servants).

Bringing Stephen Russell back is half a success.

Keeper Gurgul
10th Mar 2013, 12:43
But if you do care about the franchise, they can capture the animations and still dub the voice, and it will not look bad at all. Just look at Absolution. The dub is pretty much perfect. I don't think it makes any sense to prioritize visuals so much that you need to abandon original actors simply because there are microsecond inaccuracies in lipsynching if you look at it in 4320p in super slow motion.

That's a big agree there. It's been a standard tried-and-true practice in the industry: different actor for the mo-cap, different actor for the final voice-over. As long as the lip-synching doesn't look like a dubbed 70s Kung-fu movie, it's fine (and even funnily dubbed B-movies have their peculiar charm).

When it comes to the audio-video layers, I keep my fingers crossed for the return of hand-painted sepia narration cinematics and silhouette-based After Effects animations - an awesomely executed step in art direction that contributed massively to the uncanny, eerie atmosphere of the Thief setting (remeber the original Datk Project intro?).

contrarian
10th Mar 2013, 14:40
Stephen Russell was great as Garrett, no doubt about that. But that was then, this is now.

It appears we have a new Garrett..we need a new voice. EM has already demonstrated that they are making the game they want, which earns them respect.

I'll say it again..Patrick Stewart should be Garrett. Russell's American accent just doesn't lend credibility. After all, we're in Victorian England, aren't we? Stewart's fee will probably be 10 times what Russell's fee will be, so the odds are that Russell will be back.

Make it so, Eidos Montreal. Make it so.

lourat
10th Mar 2013, 14:42
The one trouble with dubbing is that if you want to synchronize well, you are constrained to however the lip actor delivered his words (in terms of timing), even if you'd have gone with something different.

Weasel47
10th Mar 2013, 15:23
After all, we're in Victorian England, aren't we?

No, we're not.

Platinumoxicity
10th Mar 2013, 15:24
The one trouble with dubbing is that if you want to synchronize well, you are constrained to however the lip actor delivered his words (in terms of timing), even if you'd have gone with something different.

Good thing that Garrett wears a mask then. And in the earlier games, we never see Garrett's face when he's talking anyway.

No, we're not.

I'm sorry but you just lost the game.

Mbeke Kuzma
10th Mar 2013, 17:50
...only hire a French-Canadian gymnast whose acting is worse than Mitt Romney's and whose accent is entirely incompatible with any media aimed at humans.

This kind of whining and (bigoted) insulting nonsense is likely why real concerns get ignored.

Stephen Russell was great. Could probably still be great. But he is not the only capable voice in the world. For ****s sake.

If you are going to whine about what particular color Focus manifests in, rather than the real issue: assurance that you don't need to use this dumb Focus crap at all; if you are going to whine about some absurd sickly-romantic notion that only Stephen Russell can possibly voice the game, rather than stress the fact that the writing is what matters; if you are going to whine and argue about what real-world era this other-world is supposed to strictly follow -- just which weapons were available here when so there then, rather than the suspect idea that a stealthy Thief would use clamorous chains with which to whip about in hopes of nifty bone crunching take downs?

You are going to further marginalize real concerns.

Platinumoxicity
10th Mar 2013, 20:36
Then go ahead and repeat the "real concerns" as often and as LOUDLY as possible so that they won't get marginalized by more trivial concerns being voiced.

Sorry, the bad acting part was uncalled for. I can't know in advance how his acting skills are. But it is a fact that frenglish is pretty incomprehensible, whether you are an english- or a french speaker, or anything else. And it's not bigotry because I'm talking about a language, not a people. Anyway, short of having a South-African accent I really can't think of a more crazy choise for someone claiming to play Garrett than a him having a French one.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Mar 2013, 21:27
Insults toward any person/company is not necessary and violates the ToU.

Lets all play nicely and just express views that relate to the game and not each other.

Back on topic... :thumb:

shmouver
10th Mar 2013, 23:47
Damn, i saw new post here by Viktoria and i was hoping it was a confirmation of Russell as Garrett lol

Chilliwack
10th Mar 2013, 23:55
Damn, i saw new post here by Viktoria and i was hoping it was a confirmation of Russell as Garrett lol

Viktoria isn't part of the dev team, so she wouldn't really be able to confirm or deny any information we speculate about. All we can do is make our voices heard here, because there are people who are relaying our opinions to the devs.

Mbeke Kuzma
11th Mar 2013, 01:00
Sorry, the bad acting part was uncalled for. I can't know in advance how his acting skills are.

Yeah. You are correct. You are correct that I was right to call you out on that.

But it is a fact that frenglish is pretty incomprehensible, whether you are an english- or a french speaker, or anything else.

Yeah. You are correct. A Frenglish accent, a Scottish accent, a South-African accent, an East Indian accent... all of these, of course, are "entirely incompatible with any media aimed at humans." Subhumans, maybe... but not humans.

And it's not bigotry because...

Oh. It is bigotry.

Plain old "crazy" "choise" ugly bigotry, indeedy.

Morgan Wight
11th Mar 2013, 03:51
I'll say it again..Patrick Stewart should be Garrett. Russell's American accent just doesn't lend credibility. After all, we're in Victorian England, aren't we? Stewart's fee will probably be 10 times what Russell's fee will be, so the odds are that Russell will be back.

I'm pretty sure the choice not to use English accents in past entries was deliberate. It might be interesting to see how the Russell-style voice fares in a more Victorianized setting.

xDarknessFallsx
11th Mar 2013, 05:42
Patrick Stewart is awesome! However, so is Stephen Russell. And I wish to hear Garrett when playing Thief; not Jean-Luc Picard.

"Eidos - Set voiceover by Russell to level 9 warp speed. Engaaggge!"

And no, we're not in Victorian England in Thief.

antihero276
11th Mar 2013, 11:37
Personally, on the subject of Stephen Russell's voice in this Victorian English type setting, among all these high speaking citizens and whatnot... I find it quintessentially American, and perfect for his character. Garrett has shades of the film noir hero, like the old day detectives in the movies, and it just works on every level, setting him apart from so many around him. For me, Stephen Russell's inclusion or exclusion at this point is the make or break factor of the game for me. He is Garrett, and is irreplaceable.

arkhanari
11th Mar 2013, 12:45
Personally, on the subject of Stephen Russell's voice in this Victorian English type setting, among all these high speaking citizens and whatnot... I find it quintessentially American, and perfect for his character. Garrett has shades of the film noir hero, like the old day detectives in the movies, and it just works on every level, setting him apart from so many around him. For me, Stephen Russell's inclusion or exclusion at this point is the make or break factor of the game for me. He is Garrett, and is irreplaceable.

When they decided to have Garrett as the main character EM must have known they HAD to hire Russel. He _is_ Garrett.

video
11th Mar 2013, 14:24
I would love if Stephen Russell actually would voice Garrett... but, i wouldnt be surprised, if they hired somebody else. It's a reboot though.

Platinumoxicity
11th Mar 2013, 14:28

I think the American accents prominent in the Thief world make the series more original. Using archiac old english is so stereotypical for a fantasy setting. The hammerites are obviously guilty of this. And I think the fact that people in Thief speak with an American accent creates the impression that even though the setting is historic, it feels like today. It doesn't feel like a detached fictional universe, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. That's what Joss Whedon said about Firefly. He didn't want to make a futuristic space sci-fi with technobabble and gadgetry. Space westerns like Firefly and Cowboy Bebop feel more natural because they are avoiding the stereotypes of sci-fi, of having weird foods, fashions, weapons and devices. Even if with more deeper contemplation such a world might seem unrealistic, the projection of our modern world into a fictional future- or historic setting brings it closer to our own experience and makes it feel more real.

YsaNoire
14th Mar 2013, 18:35
I would be very disappointed if Garrett were to be voiced by anyone other than Stephen Russell. The reason is not that there are no other good actors or that his accent is right, but simply because his voice is the most solid characteristic defining Garrett that we have. His appearance isn't shown too often and isn't consistent throughout the series (even within a single game sometimes). It's his voice that contains 99% of his personality, and I need it to recognise this character as Garrett at all.

That and I just think the voice is really smexy.

quasigiani
14th Mar 2013, 20:22
For me, Stephen Russell's inclusion or exclusion at this point is the make or break factor of the game for me.

Wow, that's too bad. Sad and funny at the same time. But mostly sad.

dda
16th Mar 2013, 06:03
This may have been mentioned already: the audio director dude in the mocap video said they captured motion, facial animation and voice at the same time. Assuming that the guy sneaking up onto the tower type thing to talk to the other dude is playing Garrett (it may not be, but hey he's sneaky looking enough to be Garrett) then that guy doesn't look like Stephen Russell!

also

I just noticed something in the new bg pic on the T4 homepage: two (out of the three) white 'the watch' banners on the right and left hand sides of the gate have an old guys face in them. Is this the face of Garrett's (voiced by Stephen Russell of course) new nemesis?

zcapp96
16th Mar 2013, 07:36
Stephen Russell's voice is a tough one. I would love it if he returned but would it be a deal breaker if he didn't? I can see that if you are motion capturing you need someone with the same physicalshape and athleticism as Garrett and maybe Russell is not a fit for this with his advancing age! I would hope that he could still be doing the voice though. There maybe problems with lip sync but he has a mask now so this could still work!

In honor of David Sheppard I was stood on one leg as I typed this. (one for the cricket fans on the forum).

dda
16th Mar 2013, 08:11
Yes Garrett's voice is an issue. Garrett is a smooth, cool, cynical, sarcastic character and Stephen's voice and performances in the previous games captured those things perfectly (or actually defined them).

I could be sold by another voice for Garrett if it captured those attributes the same way as Stephen's did but I think that would be likely to fail.

Why bother having a new voice anyway? Garrett is an awesome established character loved by fans and future newbies to the game wouldn't know better anyway!

*add

Yeah since Garrett has the bdsm ninja look happening we might never see him without his mask (even when he's chillaxing in his new clock tower house, greasing his clocks drive shaft ;)

Platinumoxicity
16th Mar 2013, 08:25
Stephen Russell's voice is a tough one. I would love it if he returned but would it be a deal breaker if he didn't? I can see that if you are motion capturing you need someone with the same physicalshape and athleticism as Garrett and maybe Russell is not a fit for this with his advancing age! I would hope that he could still be doing the voice though. There maybe problems with lip sync but he has a mask now so this could still work!

You can clearly see that some scenes with Garrett in them have already been mocapped. And in the clip where they are recording the scene, the actor of Garrett only makes facial expressions. He doesn't speak. So it's likely that they'll do like IO did with Absolution. Record the animations using a fit motion actor, and then record the voice using the original voice actor. There is nothing wrong with the voicework in Absolution, and even automated lipsynching has worked perfectly for almost 10 years, ever since Valve showcased it in the first Source technical demo. So even if there are scenes where Garrett doesn't wear the mask, there's no way they could taff up the lipsynching in any noticeable way. Nobody asks for absolute perfection. Nobody asked with Absolution, and nobody complained afterwards when absolute perfection wasn't delivered.

Russell still does tons of videogame voice acting. And he's still got Garrett's, Benny's and ninny servant's voices nailed down, case in point Skyrim where all those voices are featured. The only Russell voice that isn't in that game is the old Hammerite.

Speaking of perfected face animations, I think with well-established characters like Garrett, or Sam Fisher, the animations really are secondary. With Splinter Cell Blacklist, all voices and face animations are recorded simultaneously, so everything looks as perfect as it can. But the moment when Sam opens his mouth and Ironside's voice does not come out is infinitely less real than there being tiny glitches in lipsynching animation with Ironside speaking. So EM prioritizing lipsynching over original voices would make the character look less real simply because it would sound unnatural.

McQuestion
17th Mar 2013, 23:25
Still no official word on Stephen Russell yet?

dda
17th Mar 2013, 23:38
Still no official word on Stephen Russell yet?

nope. 'they' are really dragging out answering that question.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Mar 2013, 00:05
They are not going to answer all our questions at this point.
Just as well - some things are best left unsaid. I'm a fan of pleasant surprises. :cool:

xDarknessFallsx
18th Mar 2013, 04:42
This is one that's not left better unsaid, imo. Stephen Russell voicing Garrett should be a given, and to keep us in worry mode until 2014 on this particular point would be a bit cruel. If it's someone new, just let the cat out of the bag soon so we can get over the pain now rather than a month prior to launch.

I have a feeling the first gameplay video that gets released (probably soon) will have Garrett speaking a line or two, to show us who is/isn't voicing Garrett. Maybe GameInformer will be saying soon.

xAcerbusx
18th Mar 2013, 05:34
I have a feeling the first gameplay video that gets released (probably soon) will have Garrett speaking a line or two, to show us who is/isn't voicing Garrett. Maybe GameInformer will be saying soon.

I think we might get it before we get gameplay.

If Deus Ex 3 is anything to go by, anyways, we'll likely hear Garrett's voice in the first pre-rendered trailer. Which, if Thief 4 is indeed aiming for a 2014 release, would probably have to be at this year's E3.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Mar 2013, 12:52
This is one that's not left better unsaid, imo. Stephen Russell voicing Garrett should be a given, and to keep us in worry mode until 2014 on this particular point would be a bit cruel. If it's someone new, just let the cat out of the bag soon so we can get over the pain now rather than a month prior to launch.
I'm not saying they won't confirm before game launch... I just mean that they might save the reveal as a surprise later down the line.
I would love Russell to be the voice of Garrett, but I wouldn't describe it as a worry for me.

McQuestion
19th Mar 2013, 23:12
This is one that's not left better unsaid.

Agreed. Long time fans are dying to know. The longer it is left unsaid the more we will worry. Stephen IS Garrett. There can be no one else.

We need a trailer with his voice like so...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzd8UcGs6E

janiashvili
24th Mar 2013, 09:55
Daniel Thron was voice actor for those grumpy guard voices as I remember, or he wasn't?

MarrowMonkey
24th Mar 2013, 10:53
They are not going to answer all our questions at this point.
Just as well - some things are best left unsaid. I'm a fan of pleasant surprises. :cool:

As far as I am aware they have not answered any of our questions. All we have now is scraps of information from an article written by secondary sources that apparently have trouble understanding why it's so difficult to kill the guards or why anyone would carry around water arrows when you can't kill with them.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Mar 2013, 11:30
Check first page summary of City Watch thread for all the latest news, including videos from Game Informer. In fact, check the Game Informer thread too. :thumb:

MarrowMonkey
24th Mar 2013, 11:41
Check first page summary of City Watch thread for all the latest news, including videos from Game Informer. In fact, check the Game Informer thread too. :thumb:
Yes, thank you, that is what my second sentence was referring to. I would appreciate if EM would bless us with some honest information instead, not just marketing hype that still keeps us in the dark for the most part.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Mar 2013, 12:18
In the updates, you should have noted Adam's message telling us that there is much more stuff to come. :)

massimilianogoi
24th Mar 2013, 12:37
Daniel Thron was voice actor for those grumpy guard voices as I remember, or he wasn't?

I'm sorry for disappointing you, guys: I have him as friend on Facebook on my Thief profile, and he's told me he wasn't engaged by EM anymore. :(

He was important, but if his figure is not in the game, it's not a problem, because he interpreted just minor characters, but Stephen Russel MUST BE in the game! Otherwise we'll start to laugh and be disgusted to hear the... "new" Garrett's voice.

janiashvili
24th Mar 2013, 12:41
Do you have other T1-2-3 developers in friends??

Do any of them work with EM about new T?

anymore
What do you mean by anymore? He was engaged by EM some time ago? As I know, he's just actor.
Also, his voice wasn't quite minor, he was an of three guard voices for last two games(don't know about first one)...

Chilliwack
24th Mar 2013, 13:32
Do you have other T1-2-3 developers in friends??

Do any of them work with EM about new T?

What do you mean by anymore? He was engaged by EM some time ago? As I know, he's just actor.
Also, his voice wasn't quite minor, he was an of three guard voices for last two games(don't know about first one)...

Nobody from the original Thief 1-3 team is working with Eidos-Montreal. We still don't know if Russell is on board for this one.

massimilianogoi
24th Mar 2013, 13:49
> Do you have other T1-2-3 developers in friends??

No, he was the only one who replied and accepted my request.

> Do any of them work with EM about new T?

I think not.

>What do you mean by anymore? He was engaged by EM some time ago?

I meant: he was on the previous titles, that were published by Eidos, now Eidos Montreal.

>As I know, he's just actor.
>Also, his voice wasn't quite minor, he was an of three guard voices for last two games(don't know about first one)...

He was in all four titles, he played the Eye voice too. From what I know, he has also drawn for some cutscenes and developed some part of the levels. His contribution was unique. Many Thief standards was ideas of him. Even the conception of Karras. He's told me they were inspired by Karras of "The Exorcist". I didn't questioned, but I find the two of them very different.