PDA

View Full Version : Chills in the CyberPunk Night...

SquidPirate
17th May 2009, 21:12
Was there any scene or event in DX1 which inspired chills for you? Think of a favorite book or game that really delivered a tingling let-me-look-over-my-shoulder impulse.

There are two standout moments for me.

The first was in my apartment after delivering the evac signal to Silhouette. I was talking with Paul, fully aware that Simons had the troops out looking for me, when the hollow voice of a MIB sounded behind my door: "Mr Denton, please put down your weapons..."

The second was in Paris. I was nosing around in a building, hiding from the patrolling MJ12 commandos, when the phone rang.

ICARUS: I'm right behind you, Mr. Denton.

Reminded me of the scene in the film 2010 when HAL-9000 tells Roy Scheider: "The reply is, 'I understand. It is important that you believe me. Look behind you.'"

AaronJ
17th May 2009, 21:17
*scoff* Hardly memorable. DX3 will take care of that though.

puzl
17th May 2009, 23:12
The biggest chill came when I got to Hong Kong and realised i'm still only halfway through the game. DX was epic.

thomasaquinas
18th May 2009, 00:01
There was nothing memorable about Deus Ex because there were only limited action scenes. Just like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Coliphorbs
18th May 2009, 00:59
"What are you looking for?" came the voice of Icarus out of nowhere, making me jump out of my seat.

lumpi
18th May 2009, 01:09
There was nothing memorable about Deus Ex because there were only limited action scenes. Just like 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Agreed. God, I wish gameplay was as grown up in 2000 as it is today. GOW: One HUGE memorable scene!

SemiAnonymous
18th May 2009, 01:23
READ ME

ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
ICARUS FOUND YOU!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Might not have really been a "part" of the game, but considering how I encountered that and then Icarus calls you, that gave me some damn big chills

Sean D
19th May 2009, 15:30
"What are you looking for?" came the voice of Icarus out of nowhere, making me jump out of my seat.
I second that. The "Observe your motivations..." and basically everything by Icarus, was really chilling.

Also, although not that heavy, "Get out of it, Denton!.." by Simons turning to you unexpectedly while interrogating the prisoners.

GmanPro
19th May 2009, 17:18
I shat brix when I picked up the phone in Paris and Icarus was on the other line. I had no idea who the hell I was talking to ... I was amazed that the game kept throwing more and more awesome stuff at me. Just when you think you've got the game figured out, there is another twist. Pure genius

LatwPIAT
19th May 2009, 20:59
When Icarus pointed out how easily I stole from innocent civilians. Creepy.

SquidPirate
19th May 2009, 21:10
When Icarus pointed out how easily I stole from innocent civilians. Creepy.

That's a good one. It actually reminds me of MSG when Psychomantis turns to me and says, "You like Castlevania, don't you?"

And there I was with the controller in my numb hands, mouth open, saying aloud, "Um... yeah."