PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else upgrading their machine for DX3?

Firepith
17th May 2009, 05:02
I'm still sitting here with an old AMD Athlon 3800 single-core PC with a Geforce 7600 GS video card.
I'm finally upgrading this year in anticipation for Deus Ex 3.

I'm getting a Phenom II x4 955 BE (3.2 Ghz)
Radeon 4850 HD
2GB 1600 DDR3 Memory

Anyone else?

Unstoppable
17th May 2009, 05:10
Cool I got a quad system I built back in 07 with a new 4870 in it, waiting for game just like you hehe.

SemiAnonymous
17th May 2009, 05:37
Upgraded by buying a machine from my friend, he bought it for 2000 and sold it to me for 800

He hardly understands money, it seems. He also sucked with computers, I had to do a lot of work to get it running at its full potential.

Jerion
17th May 2009, 05:45
If I were you, I'd wait until you know the release date (probably Q1/Q2 2010) to upgrade your machine. But yes, I'll be upgrading as well. :cool:

Gizmostuff
17th May 2009, 10:13
Got a 6400+ Dual Core
4GB RAM
ATI 4670 GPU

Still want to upgrade though. I think this set up will run it fine but I've been wanting to
try a Intel rig mainly for Deus Ex 3 and Starcraft II. Everything different from the case to the display.

Hopefully we'll know what the system specs are at Christmas...Whether they are or not, I'm still building it.

FrankCSIS
17th May 2009, 15:58
I'm long, long, long overdue, and there's no way I'm playing this title on the 360, so yeah, count on it. It has better run smoothly on Windows 7 though, I ain't installing Vista.

VicMackey
17th May 2009, 20:22
I doubt the game will need it.

TeKKMaRINE
17th May 2009, 20:23
I certainly would like to though I doubt it will happen...

Right now I have to drag a cooler master cosmos RC1000 up three flights of stairs to my Uni apartment when I go back and forth from UNI. I’m looking for a good gaming laptop but I think I might hold back until this game is released along with SC2 and Duke Nukem Forever.

Mr. Perfect
17th May 2009, 21:23
Gaming and laptops don't mix well. Have you considered building a lanparty-esk Mini-ATX (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/microatx-hiperf-system.html)?

Personally, I'll wait until I have to game before considering an upgraded. You never know what it will work best with, so I wouldn't spend the money beforehand.

Sean D
17th May 2009, 23:04
I hope DX3 won't be too hardware-demanding.

puzl
17th May 2009, 23:10
Sure, but not until about a month or so before release date. I'm due a system upgrade anyway and luckily, the projected time for DX3's release (early/mid 2010 seems reasonable an estimation) will suit me just fine.

thomasaquinas
17th May 2009, 23:35
Mind-boggling. I'm going to wait to see if the game is actually any good before paying for it, let alone an entire new system to play it on. Just a thought.

Beefloafian
18th May 2009, 03:38
Gaming and laptops don't mix well.

Agree with you there, except for mine :D

I have the gateway P-7811 FX, which plays Crysis on 1920x1200 at medium quality, which still looks amazing. it's cpu and gpu fans are pretty loud, and it weighs a ton, but for a "portable" gaming system for $1500, it's hard to beat.

cnet still says in almost every review of the subsequent FX-series laptops, that my version is the best, because of that crazy HD resolution

(which is amazing to watch 1080 vids on :P )

As for upgrading, I'll have to see what the reqs are for DX3, if I need to I will, if not, I'll prolly just save for a cpu upgrade sometime, which is the only thing holding it down in the speed dept.

Firepith
18th May 2009, 04:44
Mind-boggling. I'm going to wait to see if the game is actually any good before paying for it, let alone an entire new system to play it on. Just a thought.

Understood, but there are several other games I want to play later this year, and my current machine sucks.
Also, I have a certain amount of faith that DX3 will be good (Hell, after the game was patched, I even loved DX:IW)

SemiAnonymous
18th May 2009, 05:07

Because I shell out hundreds only to play a single game. Did you not consider that when upgrading a computer, it could be for more than just a single game?

thomasaquinas
18th May 2009, 07:59
Because I shell out hundreds only to play a single game. Did you not consider that when upgrading a computer, it could be for more than just a single game?
Hmm.
Question: "Anyone else upgrading their machine for DX3?"
Answer: "Yes, I am!"

Nope.

puzl
18th May 2009, 09:21
i don't think any of us would buy a new pc if we could only play dx3 on it and do nothing else...

i assume many of us are due a system upgrade anyway, which is probably why we're waiting for the game to be released before we upgrade. dx3 is an important reason for waiting, but it's not the only reason for buying a new pc.

TeKKMaRINE
18th May 2009, 13:26
Gaming and laptops don't mix well. Have you considered building a lanparty-esk Mini-ATX (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/microatx-hiperf-system.html)?

Personally, I'll wait until I have to game before considering an upgraded. You never know what it will work best with, so I wouldn't spend the money beforehand.

Interesting.... :gamer:
Though it still presents the problem of having to drag a monitor, mouse and keyboard. I was looking at alien ware laptops and after reading a ton of reviews it might not be a bad way to go. I’ll just give my beautiful main rig to my little brother and buy a gaming laptop. I’m sick and tired of having to take notes with a pen and paper I need something very portable that can handle some of the latest games. I most defiantly am not going to buy one until a confirmed release date for DX3 though.

I hate the look of dell XPS laptops .... though the reviews seem to be alot better. In fact wait a minute isn't Alienware owned by dell?

Sabretooth1
19th May 2009, 04:32
Probably upgrade the graphic card and processor and jack in some extra RAM, but I don't really think DX3 is going to be a Crysis as far as graphics go.

SemiAnonymous
19th May 2009, 04:59
Hmm.
Question: "Anyone else upgrading their machine for DX3?"
Answer: "Yes, I am!"

Nope.

I'll be honest, I was tired and rather out of it when I read your original post. Somehow the topic title seemed to go away, and suddenly your post seemed really, really stupid.
Yay for late night after work postings

Jables_Kage
21st May 2009, 19:59
got me an upgrade 3 weeks ago...

check out... http://www.beastcomputers.co.uk/

got the breed evo man it rocks, maxes crysis, far cry 2, and any other mofo!!!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st May 2009, 21:47
My PC is da bomb, and custom built by a very clever man! :cool:
Thanks to him, I doubt I'll have to think about upgrading anything for a long time yet. :flowers:

phlebas
22nd May 2009, 12:40
I don't upgrade my machine for a game. The game should be able to scale down to my system.

Besides, I haven't used a desktop in like five years.

PenguinsFriend
9th Jun 2009, 18:29
I just upgraded our old laptop and I'm thrilled! I play Stalker on maximum settings with only a few nano-second hangs (I mean like less than a second) every now and then (mainly when I have been playing for a few hours - and I often don't turn my antivirus off, which is a little stupid I'll admit).

Check this out - It's only $1,089.99 and for the componenets and price it blows Alien Ware into the kiddie' pool. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9172511&type=product&id=1218043606827

* Gateway - FX Edition Laptop with Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology with interrelated Intel® Core™2 Duo processor P8400
* 4GB DDR3 memory
* 320GB SATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
* NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS graphics (Features 1GB of GDDR3 discrete video memory for lush images and vivid detail.)

OK - so the only drawbacks seem to be Vista and the sound card - but you can buy some $30 speakers to punch up the sound and when Windows 7 is released, you'll be able to buy a coupon that will allow you to upgarde.

As to Vista - well I just went to Tweek Tech and followed their prompts for making sure the system stays fast. Right now I get balzing speed and I love this laptop - I can soooo recommend this over anything else. And trust me, you can spend waaay more $$ than this and still not get this kind of system. I mean, 1GB dedicated video memory and it's DDR3!

Also, I forgot to say, I spent about a week reasearching this prior to purchase. I read a lot of reviews and you can see many of them say that this system is an amazing gaming computer for those that don't have enough money to buy a $4,000 PC - who would do that anyway? lol

Jerion
9th Jun 2009, 22:35
I just upgraded our old laptop and I'm thrilled! I play Stalker on maximum settings with only a few nano-second hangs (I mean like less than a second) every now and then (mainly when I have been playing for a few hours - and I often don't turn my antivirus off, which is a little stupid I'll admit).

Check this out - It's only $1,089.99 and for the componenets and price it blows Alien Ware into the kiddie' pool. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9172511&type=product&id=1218043606827

* Gateway - FX Edition Laptop with Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology with interrelated Intel® Core™2 Duo processor P8400
* 4GB DDR3 memory
* 320GB SATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
* NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS graphics (Features 1GB of GDDR3 discrete video memory for lush images and vivid detail.)

OK - so the only drawbacks seem to be Vista and the sound card - but you can buy some $30 speakers to punch up the sound and when Windows 7 is released, you'll be able to buy a coupon that will allow you to upgarde.

As to Vista - well I just went to Tweek Tech and followed their prompts for making sure the system stays fast. Right now I get balzing speed and I love this laptop - I can soooo recommend this over anything else. And trust me, you can spend waaay more $$ than this and still not get this kind of system. I mean, 1GB dedicated video memory and it's DDR3!

Also, I forgot to say, I spent about a week reasearching this prior to purchase. I read a lot of reviews and you can see many of them say that this system is an amazing gaming computer for those that don't have enough money to buy a $4,000 PC - who would do that anyway? lol

Nice laptop. :)

As for a tower, if you know the right places to buy from, you can get a fantastic Core i7 gaming desktop for $1600.

I'm holding off until early next year to look at assembling or buying a gaming rig. My current laptop handles most games just fine, even if the most recent ones don't play smoothly on maximum settings, and DX3 is probably the only game I'm seriously wanting to play at Max graphics.

itsalladream
10th Jun 2009, 01:43
Nice laptop, but unless you need the portability, the price/capability between laptops and desktops don't really compare.

Pyronox
10th Jun 2009, 01:46
TBH, I'm broke. So X360 version for me.

PenguinsFriend
10th Jun 2009, 18:38
Well I guess you maybe can get some better desktops, but they are a little harder to carry lol

Besides - my wife would have killed me if I tried to spend any more money than I did :)