PDA

View Full Version : Beta testing!

vowdy
14th May 2009, 08:06
So I was wondering...
Will there be a public beta test?
And will people on this forum get an advantage in the selection proccess of testers?

v

GmanPro
14th May 2009, 08:08
HA! Not likely.

They will probably bring in a QA team directly from inside Montreal.

Abelo
14th May 2009, 09:12
Man, give them at least time to begin the game before knowing those answers.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th May 2009, 09:15
Well, nobody can say we are not an enthusiastic bunch of Taffers. :D

vowdy
14th May 2009, 09:57
Man, give them at least time to begin the game before knowing those answers.

Can't hurt to ask at least!

And IMhO it's easier to get a decent game if you get feedback from the target buyers as early in the production phase as possible.

Ahh, who am I kidding, I just want to play the game :D

v

Corvin25
14th May 2009, 21:24
Well, nobody can say we are not an enthusiastic bunch of Taffers. :D

*points to email* Send beta key here, lol. XD

razorstealth
7th Jun 2009, 23:59
i think first we should be asking "what systems will Thief 4 be on?" before asking about a beta test for said unknown systems... i loved having TDS play for Xbox and 360. Xbox's announcement for Project Natal has me hoping EM has thief 4 for the 360. How awesome it would be to blackjack an enemy with my arm rather than pushing a button!

Thieffanman
8th Jun 2009, 00:33
Xbox's announcement for Project Natal has me hoping EM has thief 4 for the 360.

Not an Xbox fan. I hope Eidos swings it so T4 can be played on the PS3, somehow.

--Thieffanman

P.S. Sign me up on the list of beta testers, too :).

MasterTaffer
8th Jun 2009, 00:35
I can almost garuntee they will have internal game testers do the job. At MOST we'll get a demo or two before release.

Hypevosa
8th Jun 2009, 01:02
I don't understand why they would pay when I know a bunch of us would do it for free... give us all an IQ test or something and then let us test the game, that way you only have to pay for analysis of the data.

MasterTaffer
8th Jun 2009, 01:13
I don't understand why they would pay when I know a bunch of us would do it for free... give us all an IQ test or something and then let us test the game, that way you only have to pay for analysis of the data.

Because professional game testers are going to be looking for things you wouldn't be as a a regular player. Testing a game isn't as simple as player a few levels and going "I had fun." Game testing is actually a TRULY boring job. You'll be doing the same thing over and over and over, opening a door 50 times in a row to make sure it works right, etc. Not to mention game testers are usually what game designers do after their job is complete, so they can stay on the payroll. So by saying they shouldn't pay those people, you're calling to put some people out of the job.

Besides, most public betas these days are for multiplayer games and are meant to test inconsistencies in the servers and game engines when placed outside of a controlled environment.

Hypevosa
8th Jun 2009, 01:31
yeah I guess we shouldn't put people out of jobs, but it always seems to be gamers who find the glitches and not the testers. Otherwise T2 wouldn't have so much loot that got eaten by the environment (some of which was patched eventually, some of which was not).

MasterTaffer
8th Jun 2009, 01:40
yeah I guess we shouldn't put people out of jobs, but it always seems to be gamers who find the glitches and not the testers. Otherwise T2 wouldn't have so much loot that got eaten by the environment (some of which was patched eventually, some of which was not).

The reason gamers find those problems is that not everything is necessarily spotted by game testers. So if something ships with a problem, of course the consumer is the first one to find them. Typically when a glitch or problem is found, they release patches to fix them. Game testers are humans, and when they are testing a game they are capable of missing some things.

One example is in Pandora Tomorrow's multiplayer, if you climb to a certain point in one of the levels as a spy, turn around on the rop three times in a row, then press the jump button, you will teleport somewhere else in the level. That was later fixed with a patch, I believe, but can you honestly say that you can blame them for not finding that glitch?

Hypevosa
8th Jun 2009, 02:00
what scares me are the amazingly specific glitches that some people do find... because they're things that a normal person WOULDN'T do while playing. Some of em like the one you listed are really out there. I'd be willing to do testing when it came to it.

MasterTaffer
8th Jun 2009, 02:02
what scares me are the amazingly specific glitches that some people do find... because they're things that a normal person WOULDN'T do while playing. Some of em like the one you listed are really out there. I'd be willing to do testing when it came to it.

Trust me, it's the most boring job you could think possible. Most people think, "I get to play video games for money!?" when they hear game tester, but it isn't what anyone thinks.

kabatta
8th Jun 2009, 05:39
Still, beying a game tester is far more easyer than any other job. You only need to be creative. Too bad you have to stay 2 shifts in a row when more games are produced. It's funny that some companies have the main coding team in China along with the stereotipical chineese that speak english bad. Alas, after a week or two the job becomes boring.

jtr7
8th Jun 2009, 07:12
I know a guy who has beta-testing experience (not for commercial games, though, but he loves beta-testing FMs) who says he would like to beta-test for EM, but only if they would do the online beta-testing, as he lives in middle Europe.

razorstealth
9th Jun 2009, 18:33
the more systems they make it compatible for the better for them. If EM wishes to expand their fanbase of course. Too many of the "hardcore" Thief fans(the ones who backlash due to their nostalgia) believe the game should only be for them, which is rather annoying.

kabatta
10th Jun 2009, 06:44
That is because the normal fan is greedy for more experience of the gaming he knows and loves.

Zavier41
17th Aug 2009, 22:24
Honestly, I hope that the game does not go out on any of the platform systems and I will tell you why. I am of the opinion that a PC, or Mac, for those who use them, will have a higher performance profile than the X-Box, Wii or PS3, and if the game is designed for a better performing system, it means that the AI and programming will be more powerful and complete. Plus, if you direct all of your attention to a single system, you don't have to divert resources and effort to translate the material between the different platforms.
My reasons are purely to see that a better product is produced, nothing more.
-Z41-

Secondary
31st Aug 2009, 16:13
it would be eise for EM to make a public Beta, and then have a web poll or somethig to gauge whether or not their heading in the right direction. but i dont think it will happen. i certainly hope it will, but im not placing bets

Davehall380
31st Aug 2009, 16:53
I think id avoid beta testing. I love that feeling of opening the box, flicking through the manual as the disc installs and then devoting a weekend to Thief. I think beta or demo before I get the full game would kill me!

Lost Taffer
31st Aug 2009, 19:16
I think id avoid beta testing. I love that feeling of opening the box, flicking through the manual as the disc installs and then devoting a weekend to Thief. I think beta or demo before I get the full game would kill me!

Agreed. As much as I would like to be part of the development process for T4, I am first and foremost a selfish ass who wants all the anticipation and secret uncovering intact on release day :P

Belboz
31st Aug 2009, 23:23
well am already alpha testing.

jtr7
1st Sep 2009, 00:11
You have a problem, Belboz, and you are dragging it in here. Please PM VIKTORIA and talk to her about it.

EDIT: Well, now my post doesn't make sense. Glad you retracted, anyway.

So this is what what said, for context:

Personally I think non of you should test because your all censoserd by eidos sware bot, and because censored by eidos swear bot, chickens pluked and sensored by eidos w#swear bot. And may be you should stick it up your censored by eidos swear bot frogs that float in the sky.

Lost Taffer
1st Sep 2009, 17:12
Well personally I think non of you should test because your all censoserd by eidos sware bot, and because censored by eidos swear bot, chickens pluked and sensored by eidos w#swear bot. And may be you should stick it up your censored by eidos swear bot frogs that float in the sky.

Kinda has a haiku sort of feel, don't it? :scratch:

13LACK13ISHOP
1st Sep 2009, 17:25
Well personally I think non of you should test because your all censoserd by eidos sware bot, and because censored by eidos swear bot, chickens pluked and sensored by eidos w#swear bot. And may be you should stick it up your censored by eidos swear bot frogs that float in the sky.

Agreed.

Anyway no beta for me. If you lot want a beta you can have one. I dont want to spoil it for me.

razorstealth
14th Oct 2009, 21:45
i would like to see a beta test, and it would take some pressure off of EM to get the playtesting. Now if they build a demo mission or use a training level as a demo like the other games have then we can test how control feels, if it is awkward as well as if the A.I. meets our exponentially increasing standards.

Hecateus
14th Oct 2009, 23:13
I left a beta-testing job, because I was too sleepy...it was that boring even with testing games and on heavy caffeine doses.

Probably should not do caffeine if you are going to seriously test products.

ZZzzz.... (already tired thinkingaboutit)

jtr7
15th Oct 2009, 00:35
They are hiring testers right now for Thief 4! If anyone's serious, they need to apply right now!
http://www.eidosmontreal.com/en/jobs.html#job7