PDA

View Full Version : MISSIONS - Types You Want To See in T:IV

Mshade
13th May 2009, 14:10
What kind of missions do you want to see in this next installment of Thief

Obviously there will probably be mansions, cathedrals, and the rest of the classic locations but what I`d really like to see it Garrett return to Bafford Manor for the first mission. I think it would be poetic and it would pay homage to every Thief fan as they know this level by heart.

What kind of mission (specifically) would you like to see in the next installment

Prospekt1125
13th May 2009, 14:23
I think it would be interesting to go back to some of the previous missions, but for some reason I don't see the developers doing that.

One thing I do want the developers to add is new levels using the "follow" objective (like the beginning of Assassins in T1, and the Mosley mission in T2). I always had alot of fun with those missions.

Direlord
13th May 2009, 15:16
I actually didn't like the follow missions too much

I'd like to see another mission like the Bank one from T2 or another life of the party type mission. think it would be cool to have Garrett go into a mansion while the party is going on.

Espion
13th May 2009, 15:27
As far as locations go, I'd love to see an abandoned ghost town/village/hamlet (depending on how big the levels can be I guess).

The objective would be to retrieve some plot related item and as you do so you slowly learn the background of the town and why it is the way it is. Maybe Hammerite missionaries came to an old pagan town suffering from an epedemic, preaching the word of the builder and wanting to "cleanse" them of sin (which the Hammers claim is why they're ill but it's probably because a new foundry was opened up by the Hammers upriver). They ended up pissing off the locals, bringing down a curse by removing local relics, and then killing everyone in town for their heresy (not signing up to the weekly Builder Newsletter).

Garrett must get the item he's after, lift the curse in order to escape whilst at the same time avoiding the angry ghosts of the Hammerrites who were stuck there after the towns new undead inhabitants murdered them. Bonus points if it's a coastal town and pirates/smugglers can be fit in somewhere :D

Erm... I loved the Opera House level in the first game but it'd also be nice to see a classic haunted theatre too.

In a non-haunted theme, perhaps the Cities School/University where all the richest nobles send their children to be trained into self-righteous, aloof idiots. Since a lot of the nobles Garrett has "visited" in the past will probably have attended there would be a lot of opportunites for him to show them up by stealing school heirlooms, trophies, and other items that would be important to the allumni.

I really enjoyed running the Thieves Highway in the second game as well. Scooting off to different parts of the city and slipping into random unrelated houses was great. Especially when it was all followed up by the equally massive Angel Watch.

Something that hasn't been done before (as far as I recall) is the main government building(s) of the city... In fact I don't think we've really seen anything related to the actual running of the city, except the police station and I guess the Keeper's Base in Deadly Shadows. It'd be nice to have a steampunk style Houses of Parliament. It could be repleat with all kinds of notes and letters alledging to conspiricies and backstabbing. Bonus objectives could even have Garrett depositing certain notes or evidence in different ministers offices, leading to the dismissal of some officials that would either help eliminate Garretts competition or remove a thorn from his side.

Airships are fairly steampunk as well. It'd be cool to have Garrett sneak onboard a new (over the top) airship on its maiden voyage, rob everyone blind whilst in the air, then escape as they land before anyone notices... It kind of sounds far fetched considering the original two games but I reckon it could be done well enough to fit in. A combination of elemental magic to make the ship fly (which would also result in some Mages being on board) and steam powered engines could work?

How about the tower of a religious cult? Sounds very Angel Watch but instead of Mechanists or Hammerites this could be a more primitive cult that worships some dark demon, virgin sacrifices n all. Fewer cogs, more robes and snakes (think Conan: The Barbarian style snake worshipping tower.)

Thinking about it, given that they've announced the game, they've probably got all the missions planned out already. Still, it's nice to dream.

colouringbook
13th May 2009, 16:03
I'd like it if after your done with the game you'd be able to revisite the various locations in a more freestyle sandbox kind of way.

the thieves highway was definitly one of the high points of thief 2.

maybe a bit off topic but do we really need a story driven game ?
thief is about sneaking into places stealing everything of value then sneaking back out.
I never really cared for the story as much as I did for the sneaking and stealing.

Prospekt1125
13th May 2009, 16:06
I'd like it if after your done with the game you'd be able to revisite the various locations in a more freestyle sandbox kind of way.

the thieves highway was definitly one of the high points of thief 2.

maybe a bit off topic but do we really need a story driven game ?
thief is about sneaking into places stealing everything of value then sneaking back out.
I never really cared for the story as much as I did for the sneaking and stealing.

ALL games (at least the ones that aren't arcade-y) should be about progression of story. If there is no story in this game, I will simply not play it.

huzi73
13th May 2009, 16:29
Basically,id buy this game,if it was a carbon copy of T1-T2,with just a little more attention to detail,gfx,and audio to match todays standard

Tohtori
13th May 2009, 16:55
Shoalsgate station is my all time favorite. I just can't get enough from it. It is nice old classy castle. But the best thing in it is definitely the "Don't kill, knockout or cause alarm" -objective. Also in UT Thievery the Airship level is great and like Espion, I'd like to see one in T4 too. Especially the parachuting is fun.

Banks, cathedrals and castles are also nice levels. But the main point for level to make it good is to design it like building and not as level. I hate the games like Splinter cell where developers have decided how the level will be played. Player should be the one who plays the game. And also the levels needs to be big with lot of loot and hidden stuff.

Thi4f should have good story but also some levels not connected to it. I'd love to see some secret levels that are enabled when you find a key from level or perhaps from some letters that reveal some hidden treasures to hunt for.

Undead levels are really what I hate in Thief games. For me they were mostly running around and ignoring slow zombies. That was really boring. Anyway haunted places are part of Thief serie but they should be more atmospheric and undead should be mysterious, rare and scary. The haunted nursery in T3 was step to right direction where the undead were more in building the atmosphere than just some slow enemies. Best haunted place anyway is the library in the collectors mansion in T2 with it's creepy whispering letters.

Ice1019
13th May 2009, 17:20
I think if you look at some of the other threads, people really like the "Life of the Party" mission, (as do I). While the Shalebridge Cradle mission was easily the best part of TDS, I think EM should look to T2 for their mission design. Garrett busting up high society and exploring the City in my opinion, is where Thief is at its best.

DarthEnder
13th May 2009, 17:39
Anything but more Cradles...I can't go through that again!!

Crypto
13th May 2009, 17:40
I'd like to see some missions where Garrett plays detective (no, not a licensed investigator), sneaking around and, rather than conventionally stealing things, uncovering some big secret about the enemy.

DF-HellFier
13th May 2009, 18:10
Mansion's, Cathedral's, crypt's - (this one must be!) at least one level with cave's (may be Garrett's secret hide out - after mission that goe's wrong & ambush where Garrett escaping thru that cave's) And Bonehord - It will be the perfect level! (Garret return's to steal some vital or rare artifact - not Horn of Quintus! :) In addition it will be nice if we go back to the Cradle or something like it... )

TazmanianD
13th May 2009, 23:53
I prefer the more normal type of missions where you get to creep through mansions and buildings and I really dislike the undead missions (unless the game gave you a way to kill or disable all the undead). That said, I wouldn't mind a mission or two that was unusual. I loved "Trace the Courier" in Thief 2 where you find yourself in Viktoria's forest. I particularly liked the rooms for each season. It reminded me of something you'd see at Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm.

Gillie
14th May 2009, 00:16
More cradle,so much has been said about it. So very scary sure plays on your mind.
I made a mistake of first playing it late one very windy night. Never again!:eek:
Actually loved it one of the best,
I had a really good article on the making of the cradle I have misplaced.
Quoted as one of the most scary level made in any game.
Life of the Party too in T2 Roof top exploring and being to able to get in more place that way so much fun. Quite a few fan missions like that.
Loved Trail of Blood too, beautiful to look at as well.

That conversation with the Guards in life of the party about the best.

Mr McGee
14th May 2009, 02:02
-We have to return to the cradle
-We have to return to Bafford's Mansion (perhaps it could be abandoned and falling apart, with spirits inside of it?)
-Less tomb raider-y stuff like T1
-BIG city-scapes like life of the party
-Something similar to trail of blood, something about that mission really stuck with me.

bobby27
14th May 2009, 02:06
no more cradle please! But another haunted area sounds good, the idea espion suggested sounds good. A return to thief 2 -esq level design would be lovely.

Belboz
14th May 2009, 02:13
I personally would not like to re-visit areas that were in the previous games, the casing the joint miision from thief 2 comes to mind, nearly everyone at the time, got really narked with doing the same mission twice. Its basically new area's not revamped old areas, the city should be big enough to have new areas, and re-adding old bosses is also quite lame as well.

Pangalactic
14th May 2009, 02:51
How about a rooftop-to mansion break-in mission during a nasty storm? Start it from a tower overlooking the city watching some big-ass thunderheads moving in rumbling ominously over the already killer Brosius-made ambient sounds already there... You make your way to a mansion you're going to rob, trying to beat the storm so you don't get blown off the roofs to your death. Then once you're inside the thunder and lightning would add extra dimensions to the stealth experience (i.e. being revealed by lightning, or being muffled by thunder) Maybe the storm would affect the mentality of the guards/denizens, making them edgier and paranoid...and maybe the weather would affect the ghosts dwelling in the mansion too...

GmanPro
14th May 2009, 02:57
(i.e. being revealed by lightning, or being muffled by thunder) Maybe the storm would affect the mentality of the guards/denizens, making them edgier and paranoid...

That would be so sweet :D

Ice1019
14th May 2009, 03:01
How about a rooftop-to mansion break-in mission during a nasty storm? Start it from a tower overlooking the city watching some big-ass thunderheads moving in rumbling ominously over the already killer Brosius-made ambient sounds already there... You make your way to a mansion you're going to rob, trying to beat the storm so you don't get blown off the roofs to your death. Then once you're inside the thunder and lightning would add extra dimensions to the stealth experience (i.e. being revealed by lightning, or being muffled by thunder) Maybe the storm would affect the mentality of the guards/denizens, making them edgier and paranoid...and maybe the weather would affect the ghosts dwelling in the mansion too...

Yeah, that sounds sweet! I don't think anybody's done stealth affected by environmental effects like lightning.

randomtaffer
14th May 2009, 03:04
I'd like to have more outdoors missions, such as a dark forest or swamp.

randomtaffer
14th May 2009, 03:05
Yeah, that sounds sweet! I don't think anybody's done stealth affected by environmental effects like lightning.

I believe there are many FMs where lightning affects your light gem.

Pangalactic
14th May 2009, 03:11
I believe there are many FMs where lightning affects your light gem.

Yeah I think I remember one like that. It's been so long since I've played any. Any recommendations? Hell, If you remember a really good FM, why not bring them up to inspire the designers of T4 missions?

randomtaffer
14th May 2009, 03:13
I believe the lightning in the first mission of the infamous Calendra's Legacy affected your light gem.
Also, in the Water Contest mission entitled "A.K.A. Noah" the storm affects your light gem.

Again, I think this is true, but I'm not positive.

Neb
14th May 2009, 03:16

There is a recent Thief 2 fan mission called Weekend Getaway which featured lightening that affects your light-gem. ;)

EDIT: Didn't notice some of the other posts. Yes, there are already fan missions with lightning. :)

Also, in The Dark Mod, clouds covering the moon make you less visible.

Flashart
14th May 2009, 07:41
Love the airship idea! Dropping down from a smaller balloon,"Can't use my arrows HERE!", Excellent.
Howabout a (metal) tower (think Eiffel Tower), lots of gantrys and ladders. Or a pyramid, maybe this could go with the "Surreal" element that is talked about, as the shape lends itself to weirdness.
It's an old movie cliche, and I'm not sure how it would work, but a game of "cat and mouse through a hall of mirrors" would be really scary. Torchlights relecting everywhere.
And this time a proper ship, moving, out to sea, the FULL rigging etc, get in get out, and escape in the lifeboat.
Finally, it's a subversion of the genre, howsabout a mission in complete Daylight, perhaps outside using tree shadows etc.

GmanPro
14th May 2009, 07:50
The Life of the Party started out in the day time (late day I believe) and it was possibly my favorite Thief level ever. So yeah, daytime missions can work. Most of the sneaking in that level was done indoors anyway so it all worked out well.

I want to see EM play around with different weather effects to dynamically alter the stealth gameplay in-mission. Looking Glass was just full of awesome ideas for missions. Markham's Isle was fantastic.

OnePunchMickey
14th May 2009, 08:18
I want to see a brothel mission where one of the objectives is to tup a molly.

Flashart
14th May 2009, 12:26
Incidentally, I've never been a fan of the "timed" follow missions, I like to take my time over
things, however I can see that they add an element of tension, I'm not completely
anti but for one mission only.
There's been a lot of missions set underground, howabout the reverse? A mountain schloss surrounded by or even built from snow and ice. Thinking out loud there could footprints to follow
or slippery ledges to traverse, perhaps using flame arrows to remove stalagmites etc.
I mentioned boats earlier, whatabout a harbour? Lots of moored boats/junks etc, guards patrolling the jettys, A few boats occupied, others empty, shimmying along the rails, hiding in lifeboats etc.
One of the stranger ideas I've had was either a funfair or circus, you'd have all the tents/attractions, plus cages with wild animals, and gypsy caravans, bonfires etc
Maybe even use the tightropes etc, and never ever EVER forget....

Clowns are scary!

Garrett21
14th May 2009, 21:46
A haunted prison with a key Garrett must retrieve the atmosphere and ambient sound could be really disturbing.

Subjective Effect
14th May 2009, 21:49
MISSIONS - Types You Want To See in T:IV
Good ones. Duh.

Hypevosa
14th May 2009, 22:37
Basso the Boxman needs help... The captain of the guard in his district of town is a former guard for Lord and Lady Rumford, and he's extorting Basso out of nearly everything to keep the location of him and Lady Rumford's runaway servant secret. If you can somehow completely discredit him in the eyes of Lord Rumford. Basso won't have to pay him anymore.

Mission:
[ ] Frame Captain Rodrick
[ ] Escape unnoticed

You end up overhearing the lord saying that he's uncomfortable with Captain Roderick being here, because he'd always suspected him of having an afair with Lady Rumsford. You find Captain Roderick, knock him out, and put him in the same bed with the already sleeping Lady Rumsford. Optionally, you can place the lord's signet ring on his person so he'll be seen as a thief. Or better yet both... :D I just want a mission where I frame someone by placing them unconscious in a bed with someone else.

GmanPro
15th May 2009, 00:01
EM, I want to see you make a mission even scarier than the cradle. GO!

vlad43
15th May 2009, 00:38
I liked the mage towers level in Thief 1. The idea that there are other, obscure and powerful factions out there (other than the pagans, hammers, and keepers) is cool. Open up the thief world, show that it is vast and wild and unexplored, not just a single claustrophobic city. Have Garrett travel outside the city to distant places.

Apprentice101
15th May 2009, 00:45
I liked the mage towers level in Thief 1. The idea that there are other, obscure and powerful factions out there (other than the pagans, hammers, and keepers) is cool. Open up the thief world, show that it is vast and wild and unexplored, not just a single claustrophobic city. Have Garrett travel outside the city to distant places.

Hehe, i completely agree. We dont have to confine ourselves in same ol same ol. Bring NEW challenges and NEW things that bring us to awe. Thats what Thief feel is about.

DarthEnder
15th May 2009, 00:58
EM, I want to see you make a mission even scarier than the cradle. GO!No!

GmanPro
15th May 2009, 01:03
.... No? But ... why not? I'm not scared of a bunch of undead. Their trezur will be MINE!

Apprentice101
15th May 2009, 01:05
No!

Oh yes, more Craddle like things. It gives adreline in your body. it makes you feel alive. :)

DarthEnder
15th May 2009, 02:21
.... No? But ... why not? I'm not scared of a bunch of undead. Their trezur will be MINE!The Cradle doesn't even HAVE any good treasure! It's like a bottle of old wine and a bag of gold teeth!

GmanPro
15th May 2009, 02:22
There were emeralds up in the observatory...

Thieffanman
15th May 2009, 02:55
Want to see?

--A few missions where theft isn't necessarily the goal. For example, one of my favorite "Deadly Shadows" side missions was cleaning up the blood in the tavern upstairs by the waterfront, and disposing of the body.

--Assassinations would be good,
--Pickpocketing a particular target for a particular piece of loot,
--Planting false evidence on someone/ something,
--Spying,
. . . and levels like the Shalebridge Cradle, or the ship captain's mansion from DS. Liked'em both :).

--Thieffanman

DanielOcean
15th May 2009, 09:17
In Thief 2,I loved the missions "Framed", "First city Bank and Trust" and "Blackmail"

Absolutely perfect.
Loved it to place evidence in the safe, loved it to crack the security system of First City Bank, loved the fact, that you had to search evidence on Truart's murderer.

In Thief 4: PLEASE! add a bank job.

I would like to break into the city hall and steel documents, sneak onto a ship and being undetected for the whole trip, while searching for some kind of artifact/document.

Platinumoxicity
15th May 2009, 10:21
This could be a part of a 3-mission major job.

1.Infiltrate city hall secure documents storage and copy the plans and maps of your target building.
2.Infiltrate the Hammerite operated power facility that supplies the City a large percentage of it's power, and sabotage the systems. The whole city goes dark except some torches and candles. People start setting little oil drum fires to keep the streets lit.
3.Rob a place that now has no electric security systems and has to rely on old fashioned lighting.

tender19
15th May 2009, 10:39
- Classic big-manor-guards-treasures and a bank / museum job!
- Religious places: temples, cathedrals, cemeterys
- Dungeons, crypts, lost cities, ancient underground ruins
- Blackmail missions, guard stations
- Pagan / surreal envrionment but within a normal city-like area: keep them as secret
- NO KEEPER COMPOUNDS, mystery is better than truth.
- A ghosty pirate ship and pirate cave pleeease
- Junkyard / inventor's shoppe for old mecha-time's sake.

Subjective Effect
15th May 2009, 11:07
I wouldn't mind an old, corrupted by other forces, Keeper Compound.

A range of different locations would be nice. Thief 1 had a very wide range, from mansions to labyrinths to surreal houses dungeons and lost cities.

I really like city at night missions (like Tracing the Courier) and missions with a lot of rooftop exploration like Life of the Party too.

Tatyana's Flowers
15th May 2009, 12:26
Aliens visited The City...Mechanists deny knowledge...Thief missions in alien underwater base and in their mothership in space...

Icky6
15th May 2009, 12:48
I prefer the more normal type of missions where you get to creep through mansions and buildings and I really dislike the undead missions (unless the game gave you a way to kill or disable all the undead). That said, I wouldn't mind a mission or two that was unusual. I loved "Trace the Courier" in Thief 2 where you find yourself in Viktoria's forest. I particularly liked the rooms for each season. It reminded me of something you'd see at Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm.

I can still remember that as the one where Thief really started to get good. Actually, I hadn't played Thief DP yet, so TMA was my introduction to the series... hence I knew nothing about Viktoria. Everything up until that point TMA had been largely humans in the city, and to suddenly be warped into a strange forest was really amazing. I really liked the pagan sections of that game, they were better than in TDS where the pagans seemed so out of place... like you just went down this alleyway in the city and voila! pagans' hideout.

EDIT: Oh god and the treebeasts! Scariest place ever!

Tatyana's Flowers
15th May 2009, 13:18
More missions with snow and rain...

world
20th May 2009, 05:08
I don't know the story that will go along with thief 4, but you simply must make a level that surpasses the cradle in sheer creepy-awesomeness.

I've played the Shalebridge Cradle over and over again b/c of its the brilliant sound effects & music, dark-gothic-style arcitecture & lighting effects, and a killer backstory behind it. It's impossible not to be drawn into the morbid setting of the cradle.

I don't know how you guys could manage to create a more epic setting than a Bedlam-like (in how the patients were treated by the staff, and in their living conditions) insane asylum/orphanage that has developed a conciousness of its own from the suffering those who were treated endured while in the cradle.

But if you guys could possibly recreate & improve upon the clausterphobic feeling of helplessness, fear, and anticipation present in the cradle in a level in thief 4, please do

**If you guys are currently planning on implimenting such a level please give me a brief impression of what you guys are planning on doing with the level

Gorephazer
20th May 2009, 05:10
I completely agree, but can't for the life of me think of anything that would have the same effect but be original at the same time. Hopefully the devs are a little more creative than me :)

GmanPro
20th May 2009, 05:13
To me, the best part of the cradle was the beginning. When you don't know what to expect.

The part where you have to turn on the electricity to continue highlighted this feeling perfectly. Making that loud noise that could probably have been heard all throughout the cradle, and not knowing what else might have heard that sound. This fear of the unknown made the cradle mission great. However, when you get nearer to the end of the mission, and you've seen everything the cradle has to offer, it loses its charm. It starts to feel more like a mission in a game because you know what to expect next.

Espion
20th May 2009, 05:37
It's impossible not to be drawn into the morbid setting of the cradle.

Not as difficult as you might think.

I agree that Shalebridge was a great level and it's probably the best level of TDS for all the thought and backstory that was put into it, but the immersion was totally blown for me when I went "back in time."

I know it was probably due to the technical limitation of the Xbox's memory, but the fact that Shalebridge in the past looked identical to Shalebridge in the present, except it had a mysterious green fog, was a real let down. When Lauryl first said I had to go into the past I was expecting different furniture, a bigger population of guards, other patients and orphans... At least for the palce to look like an intact and working orphanage/asylum instead of an abandoned building with wrecked stuff everywhere.

Yeah, you can say it was the Cradle's memory and not actually the past, but it was fairly misleading to have Lauryl say "the past" instead of saying "the Cradle's memory" right off the bat.

If only they'd made it for PC first, complete with a "past" version of the cradle, then made a reduced version for the Xbox :(

**If you guys are currently planning on implimenting such a level please give me a brief impression of what you guys are planning on doing with the level

Can't really see EM giving away personal spoilers this early in development but good luck with that ;)

They should definitely have a creepy level(s) though. The Return to the Cathederal in Thief 1 is still one of my favourites. I remember coming face to face with a Hammer Haunt in the cellar once. I knew it was there but I didn't know where so when I turned the corner and he was right there I almost crapped my pants, turned and ran with him cackling right on my tail :D

1N54N3
20th May 2009, 06:35
To me, the best part of the cradle was the beginning. When you don't know what to expect.

I totally agree. I found that the "Outer Cradle" area, the one with 0 enemies, but done in such a great way that the sounds and lighting had you freaking out actually worse than when there were enemies goes to show how good Devs can use your own mind against you. Recreating that wouldn't be very hard. Outdoing it would be nearly impossible.

DarthEnder
20th May 2009, 06:59
Hate the cradle. Played through T3 several times, I skip over the cradle every time after my first playthrough.

It's a great achievement that level, a flawless example of first person survival horror.

Too bad I hate survival horror and can't stand it getting stuck in the middle of my game about a dude that robs people.

GmanPro
20th May 2009, 07:08
I love survival horror. Not enough games like that if you ask me. I want another System Shock now :(

Espion
20th May 2009, 07:22
I love survival horror. Not enough games like that if you ask me. I want another System Shock now :(

Oh god yes. I miss Shodan :(

Flashart
20th May 2009, 10:50
Maybe something like a temple with a basement torture chamber (sort of Spanish Inquisition). That way you've got the contrast of peace and contemplation above ground and all hell below.
(In fact, Thief IV: Hell Below, what a great title!) Lot's of white polished marble vs moss dripping sandstone.

Skarsnik
20th May 2009, 12:31
Another verison of the cradle would be awesome. But the map ive always had the best memories from are Constantines Mansion and The Wieldstrom Museeum!

Drackulis
20th May 2009, 13:04

The part where you have to turn on the electricity to continue highlighted this feeling perfectly. Making that loud noise that could probably have been heard all throughout the cradle, and not knowing what else might have heard that sound. This fear of the unknown made the cradle mission great. However, when you get nearer to the end of the mission, and you've seen everything the cradle has to offer, it loses its charm. It starts to feel more like a mission in a game because you know what to expect next.

I soooooo agreeeeeee with you GmanPro. The first time I played it I saw the patient and I'm like, "Close the laptop! Close the laptop:eek:!!!!!!"
It is the best mission ever!!!!!!!:lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao::lol::thumb:

ToMegaTherion
20th May 2009, 13:45
GmanPro is quite correct about the Cradle and, indeed, the same applies to different extents to all of the supernatural levels in the games. I think for these missions to have impact all through them, each one should have unique mechanics involved so you don't know what to expect (and not just the same thing all through the level -- lots of different unexpected things). As well as making things more tense and scary, it would have the additional advantage of providing a brief escape from standard Thief gameplay, which, while awesome, is generally pretty much the same in every level.

One problem with these sorts of spooky levels is that it's really quite difficult to make them replayable with anything like the same effect. My favourite spooky level in a video game is Ocean House from Vampire: Bloodlines, which was indisputable amazing the first time I played it, but now is just a formality to replay, which is a shame. I wonder if that can be overcome.

DarthEnder
20th May 2009, 15:35
I love survival horror. Not enough games like that if you ask me. I want another System Shock now :(And I WANT you to have those games. I just want them to be, you know, OTHER games. And not Thief.

Myth
20th May 2009, 16:44
I'd say out of 15 levels (optimistic of me but hey), i would want 5 regular thieving missions set in mansions/castles/houses/ etc. with good old guards. 3 city exploration missions with a variety of lootalbe houses and residents going about their business. 3 horror missions a-la bonehoard/cathedral/cradle. 2 missions that take you to new places a-la markham's isle/maw of chaos/pagan village and 2 spy/follow/ghost missions.

Psychomorph
20th May 2009, 17:24
My most favourite missions in the Thief games were always the mansions, villas, appartments and castles, I HATE(!!!!) all the technical mechanist cr*p with PASSION(!!!!!) I REALLY(!!!!!!) do. Hate em, sooo hate em, always killed all the fun for me.
Baffort's Manor, Ramires Mansion, the Mask mission in Thief2, the Theater mission in T2, the widows mansion in T3 and all this stuff... pure blast, maximum immersion, but the metal, technical stuff, so hate it.

I mean the metal, mechanical missions often had these ugly engine sounds, loud and ugly, in contrast the manors had natural sounds, you look out the window and hear the wind, see the flakering of fire, crickets in the night, the lights of the city out there, cracking sound of wood, your footsteps are soft on carpet and interessting on wood, but the metal crap... bah.

huzi73
21st May 2009, 00:11
TDP style missions ftw!

huzi73
21st May 2009, 09:32
TDP's(undead/chaos atmospher)+TMA's(level design/rooftops/mechanists/investigation/plot)+TDS's(the cradle/explrable city)+Next gen audio/video = T4!

HellionKal
21st May 2009, 09:38
Definitely more "mansion" missions. For me at least, THIEF's fun in its almost complete entirety was all about robbing Lords and Ladies blind.

And, either do more "Life of the Party"-style missions, or add Thieves' highways in missions that allow it.

As for horror missions...one or two at most. It gets kinda cheesy if repeated too often IMHO.

ToMegaTherion
21st May 2009, 09:39
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I think it would be interesting to have a big discussion of the missions we liked in the previous games and the missions we didn't like; it might be helpful and illuminating. Do you think this will derail this topic too much and I should start another thread?

Corvin25
21st May 2009, 09:40
I love the "house" missions a lot too. But even they can get tedious if they are ALL you do. I would like to see at least one undead level, like the Horn of Quintus, as well as several cave levels, with the spiders and craymen and such.

I would NOT, however, like to see any "repeat" missions, like "Casing the Joint" in thief 2. Going there twice just felt like a chore.

Flashart
21st May 2009, 10:33
I think you need 1 or 2 "Bank" or "Museum" type buildings, vast highly protected buildings. (Maybe a "Mint"?)
1 "follow" mission.
3 missions obtaining "specific" items (these could take place either in castles, dungeons, or "landmarks" ie lighthouses etc.
2 underground (cave, tunnel, mine etc...)
1 super scary.
1 super surreal/ magical
1 outdoor in trees etc
1 outdoor in city/urban
1 Boat/ Train/ Airship etc
1 "Escape from..." (Prison, hostage, etc)
For the remaining 6, a mix of houses/ towers/..and maybe 1 completely out of "left field"

Obviously it depends on the story, but I think most of the "classic" mission types can be recreated without treading over old ground. (For the sake of continuity I guess you could revisit 1 place from the series, but I'd rather see new.

Blue Sky
21st May 2009, 15:57
I would like a mission where you have to retrieve a ring which has been swallowed by a burrick and have to track it for several days across some sprawling moors.

When you actually come across it, rather than hacking it to pieces with your sword, you drink some potion which says "Drink Me" on it and are miniaturised. Your task is thus to enter the burrick's body without it realising, and to make your way down its digestive tract whilst simultaneously avoiding all the miniaturised guards inhabiting its intestines.

huzi73
21st May 2009, 16:07
I would like a mission where you have to retrieve a ring which has been swallowed by a burrick and have to track it for several days across some sprawling moors.

When you actually come across it, rather than hacking it to pieces with your sword, you drink some potion which says "Drink Me" on it and are miniaturised. Your task is thus to enter the burrick's body without it realising, and to make your way down its digestive tract whilst simultaneously avoiding all the miniaturised guards inhabiting its intestines.

Wow!That,as much as I hate to admit,is one awesome idea!

razorstealth
9th Jun 2009, 18:44
Definitley "Cradle" like missions! More than any other mission this one drew me in and made me forget I was playing a game not walking around in it. I had many jumps from imagined enemies and some real ones. When the puppet was lying on the ground it looked like a shelf and i walked right over it!! THEN i realized my mistake and ran away while screaming and throwing everything i had at it. haha

fraten
11th Jun 2009, 18:36
...the thieves highway was definitly one of the high points of thief 2....
and may I add: robbing the city-hall could be fun. Does anyone in the thief universe pay taxes? Let's collect taxes... *g*

gpagonewest
11th Jun 2009, 19:51
More like Life of the Party or The Bank from Thief 2. Not so fussed about the monster/zombie levels from TDP though. Casing the Joint from T2 I actually liked, as you couldnt either be seen by anyone or knock them out while playing on expert.

Levels like The Cradle or Return to the Cathedrel are great first time, but they loose there feeling after only one play, unlike others which remain great time and again.

jtr7
12th Jun 2009, 00:45
Search the Grand Library for city maps, and stumble upon a meeting upstairs, and overhear someone speak of a valuable something-or-other that they know of. The meeting is semi-secret and it takes place after hours upon a deal with one of the member's relatives who works at the library.

In fact, it's a meeting of the Order of the Vine, which turns out to be a society of grape-growers/vineyards/wineries, and the new mission objective concerns someone's latest batch of wine that has reached it's maturity. A shipment of Gravecourt Red is due to go out. A former Keeper, who naturally got a job at the Grand Library for his/her exceptional librarian skills, stops Garrett to speak something important to him, which adds to the objectives. The map he acquires for his initial objectives comes in handy in the next mission, but that mission yields unexpected results.

fayfuya
12th Jun 2009, 14:22
What about a mission that Garrett himself chooses to start, about his own life background, about his family, a mission to his past,......
0R what about other Thieves in the game that hunt each other or help each other, make allies or stuff...
i'm not sure about those 2 ideas :D

CurtX
13th Jun 2009, 00:43
1 Boat/ Train/ Airship etc
I like this idea. I could see these fitting in a steampunk world just fine. I've actually envisioned an Airship mission before. Something that starts out with Garrett eavesdropping on a conversation from a couple of hammers about their new airship and how they plan on traveling to a distant land to find a fabled holy hammer relic. Of course, this piques Garrett's interest and he becomes a stowaway (the mission could actually be titled "Stowaway"). During the trip, he sneaks around on the huge airship pilfering all kinds of loot and valuable information about the relic. And when the mission ends, the next mission would begin in a type of location that is all new to the Thief series, far from Garrett's home.

BG_HHaunt
24th Aug 2009, 06:56
I would like outdoor missions,I loved trail of blood.
And 2 or 3 undead missions.

Davehall380
24th Aug 2009, 11:51
1) Bring back the Haunted Levels but not overkill like some FM's . . .
2) More trailing missions like Assasins and Tracing the Courier (?)
3) More ghosting missions like Casing the Joint

Secondary
24th Aug 2009, 18:41
all that one has to do in order to answer this is watch heist movies. I would want sabotage missions (like the clocktower in TDS), theft (no duh really, but there are precious few missions were garret is just doing his own thing, hes always either being lead around by the keepers or some supernatural force) espionage (follow a target through the winding city streets unseen, gather information by eavesdropping or picking pockets). and Id definitely want to break people out of jail, this has been the premise of missions before but that always goes down the drain, for once Id like to break someone out from under the noses of the City Watch or the Hammerites.