PDA

View Full Version : THIEF TRILOGY: The Original Games & T4 - One Box/Re-Release Suggestion

Platinumoxicity
12th May 2009, 19:29
This thought came to my mind because my Thief Gold suddenly stopped working and hasn't worked for a while now. :(

I know it's very early to say this, but wouldn't it be cool if they included the original Thief Gold and Thief 2 in the release of T4? They could make them work properly in today's hardware and include them either in the general release or in a collector's edition. They wouldn't have to change the games themselves at all, just make them stable on modern machines. :D

Many franchises have done this, for example, Ubisoft included the classic 4 player beat-'em-up TNMT game in the 2007 PS2 game, and konami included the classic NES game Metal Gear in the MGS4 release.

colouringbook
12th May 2009, 19:32
I'd rather have a good thief 4 first if you don't mind.

Wazootyman
12th May 2009, 19:40
Sure, making a superb Thief 4 comes first, but I can't imagine it would take THAT much time away from development to just clean the originals up a bit and make them compatible with modern OS's. Of course, I have no idea how much work it REALLY entails, but I think it would be a great way to introduce a new generation to those classic games and increase the value of the retail product.

And I completely understand your woes getting the oldies to work on new systems; I'm in the middle of replaying Thief Gold right now, and I managed to jump through all the hoops and get it working on my current rig (64-bit Vista), in my monitor's native widescreen resolution and with AA and AF and everything and it looked and ran great...until it randomly decided to STOP working yesterday and refused to START working again. So I had to backup my saves, uninstall, re-install, and figure out the complicated process I went through in the first place to get it all working so nicely. Took me about an hour to get it back up and running properly again, which is time I could have spent playing instead :P. It's just those kinds of accessibility issues that might dissuade people from re-playing these great classics, so I think a kind of cleaned-up re-release (like what they do over at GOG.com) packaged with Thief 4 would be an excellent idea :)

StalinsGhost
12th May 2009, 19:56
No need for Eidos to do it - they should let the boys at GoG.com sort it for them. Thief is one of those games screaming for the GoG treatment.

On a similar note, I loaded Thief Gold up earlier - strangely enough it's working without any issues once I've disabled one of my cores. Score!

Wazootyman
12th May 2009, 20:03
lol You sure don't.

They would need to find the original source code to update those issues I imagine, but nobody knows where the original source code for the games is.

I suppose I just assumed that since I could get T1 and T2 working up to modern standards with a couple of small community fixes and an hour of my time, it wouldn't take that much for a qualified developer to patch similar fixes and functionality into the existing game, without actually going in and rewriting big chunks of source code. But it's probably not the most elegant solution, and there's probably STILL more work there than I realize.

But, if the GoG guys wanted to take a crack at it and release them there, I'd also be a happy camper :)

Maybe the retail version of T4 could include a coupon for a free/discounted GoG versions of T1 and T2, if that were ever to happen?

StalinsGhost
12th May 2009, 20:09
Actually, better yet... how about that source code?!

A man can hope!

GmanPro
12th May 2009, 20:22
Lol, you guys. You don't need the source code. Just rig the executable with DDfix and you're good to go. It'd take two minutes.

Mr McGee
12th May 2009, 21:15
I've always thought this would be a great idea. They should DEFINITELY release some sort of collector's edition with the older Thiefs, and possibly some of the favorite FM's of the community, all made to work on more modern machines.

Limesneeker
13th May 2009, 21:31
Hi,though I posted this already in my "philosophy" thread, I think it´s important enough to open a seperate thread for it.
As I said before, I think in order to continue the style of the series, it is important to create a storyline which is designed as a TRILOGY - even if the other parts will never be realised, it would create appropriate depth (again each part would highlight one of three (fanatic) factions)

So this are my ideas:

after the disappearance of the glyphs INDUSTRIALISATION got more and more powerful. The development caused that the trickster got a myth- the townsfolk started to think of him again as a never-existant fairy-tale character.
Even among the Hammers, mystics and priests, who believed in the Builder as actual god become only a few, the "mainstream-hammers" started to belief only in men and technology-some sort of a dark version of humanists. Unlike the Trickster, the Builder was never really manifest anyway.

Because of that,obvious magical phenomena (divine powers of hammer-priests included) got rarer,so that the common belief in gods and greater-forces vanished.

Economy, technology and money got more dominant and this caused corruption, poverty and disrespect for nature to get more dominant than ever.

Maybe the seperation even caused that the different districts look like different time periods: the poor districts remain in a dark-middle-age-state, while the rich-district represents an industrialized art-déco civillization - so progress is limited to the rich. (Through that idea, (minor or major?*) technological progress (relatively to Thief 1-3) could be integrated without harming the dark middle-ages elements)

So what does this technological extreme cause?

"Mystical/magical extremists" on the other side. United by the common goal to reassamble faith and belief in greater forces among the people of the city, hammer and pagan priests unite (though hostility remains) and ask the mages guild for support, which kept its secrecy during the whole development.
They hope that by making the existence of magic public, faith will be reastablished.
Maybe this causes internal conflicts among the mages guild as well. Pagans hope to summon forces of chaos with the help of mages, while hammer priests want to make it clear, that technology comes from forces other than men, namely the builder.

So we have materialistic, narrow-minded, atheistic technocrats, who would industrialize everything and dominate society on one side and a secret, UNDERGROUND group which contains magic, crazy mystics and god-worshipping, on the other side. Of course, the magic-side is too extreme as well, because they want to create a world order in which people are suppressed by priests and gods.

So again, keepers have to keep balance, this time between Magic and Technology. Because glyphs are gone, there tools are a combination of magic and technology (which is appropriate for the middle), maybe there is also support through non-fanatic members of both extremes (like wise-mages and nature-respecting industrialists)

Maybe this time the MAJOR objects of theft are experimental, technological devices and magical artifacts. Maybe the thief-guild plays an important role among the economies of the industrial side.

I suggest to plan the whole thing as a new trilogy, so this game could focus on stopping the magical side, which would otherwise accomplish some sort of mad plan - like summoning gods in order to destroy technological science or something... (in a way this would echo Thief 1, while creatin something new at the same time, which is the right combination in my opinion).

I´m not sure about that point: originally I only thought about additional steam-elements. But imagine a co-existance of spot-lights and rough-stone walls and swords (recently I saw a wine-cellar with modern, minimalistic, silver spotlights and rough, curved stone-ceilings. Maybe it works for Thief - maybe it doesn´t - in the end it does not influence the core of my story-line.

acridrose
13th May 2009, 21:39
Story I believe has already been finalised. Furthermore, we can think of the series as a trilogy, but still have a thief 4 which stands outside of this delicious trilogy. I like your ideas but I still think for the sake of cluttering the forums, this doesn't need to be its own thread. You will get a better response if it is posted in another thread with other people's ideas to compare yours to.

Limesneeker
13th May 2009, 21:54
Sorry, maybe I got too euphoric while writing this.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th May 2009, 23:29
Don't worry, I've merged into existing discussion thread about a suggested Trilogy.

Limesneeker
13th May 2009, 23:36
Don't worry, I've merged into existing discussion thread about a suggested Trilogy.

Hi, sorry, ehm pls move it anywhere else. Unlike the starter of this thread, i´m talking about designing the new storyline as new trilogy - not about the old games!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th May 2009, 23:43
I've edited the thread title so that it accommodates the idea regarding the earlier games and also the new concept you discuss. :)

bikerdude
17th May 2009, 00:28
Actually, better yet... how about that source code?!

Release the source code with T4, that sound like a sterling idea.

Vladimyre
20th May 2009, 19:35
But, I think it'd bet totally awesome to re-release all three previous games in a set for PC and stream line the installs to work on all the new OS's

Unless of course they have and I just don't know about it.

V

BoldEnglishman
20th May 2009, 23:06
What would make it totally complete, is Thief II Gold! (as someone else said: a man can dream!)

huzi73
20th May 2009, 23:13
Financially,this would really add to the sales numbers!Just look at the Orange box from Valve!If not,than maybe in the collectors edition?Jeez!This would be my best gaming purchase EVER!

Stath MIA
21st May 2009, 01:15
It would be great, except that EM would have to do a ton of work to revamp the games so that people wouldn't have to personally hack the game to get it to work.

Thieffanman
21st May 2009, 01:45
Cast my vote in also for a Thief 1 - 3 re-release, updated for current operating systems. That would *rock*. :) \m/

--Thieffanman

piro
30th May 2009, 17:10
I just wonder if there are any chance of the orginal games being re-released, updated and on a dvd :D and with thief gold instead of the dark project. I just think that it would help the sales and help people like me who wants to play the orginal games. You could fit all the games on a single dvd. perhaps you could include it in the collectors edition or something? like they did with fear and rid****.
I would certainly buy it.
Im sorry about my bad gramar and spelling. :hmm:

good or bad idea?

MasterTaffer
30th May 2009, 17:33
I could see Eidos considering something like this a few year down the road, as they seem to enjoy re-releasing old games in bundle packs for some extra scratch.

Jilly The Taffer
30th May 2009, 17:36
Oh god I hope they do! :D

Eidos re-released the choppy, blocky graphiced Tomb Raider 1, into the top-notch graphiced Tomb Raider: Anniversary.

Imagine it! DP and MA in Anniversary/Underworld type graphics :eek:

piro
30th May 2009, 17:37
I could see Eidos considering something like this a few year down the road, as they seem to enjoy re-releasing old games in bundle packs for some extra scratch.
Great ! :D
I just wonder why it is so hard to find a copy of thief gold or deus ex.
They seem to be so very rare.:confused:

MasterTaffer
30th May 2009, 17:39
They also bundled together Hitman 2 through Blood Money. I doubt they'de go back and remake Deadly Shadows, as it's only 5 years old, but if they want to attract new players to the Thief games, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have TDP and TMA remade somewhere down the road.

Great ! :D
I just wonder why it is so hard to find a copy of thief gold or deus ex.
They seem to be so very rare.:confused:

WHile I was living in Iceland, they had something called "Sold Out Software" ont he shelves. With it they had Thief 1 and 2, Deus Ex, and Hitman Codename 47. I picked up copies of all of them, even though I still had my originals. I was making so much money at the time, my instinct was to buy whatever I wanted.

piro
30th May 2009, 17:59
WHile I was living in Iceland, they had something called "Sold Out Software" ont he shelves. With it they had Thief 1 and 2, Deus Ex, and Hitman Codename 47. I picked up copies of all of them, even though I still had my originals. I was making so much money at the time, my instinct was to buy whatever I wanted.

lucky you, I'm still searching for a copy of deus ex. I have only borrowed one from a friend and I think I am going to order it from the UK. I think that the shipping price will be worth it.

Thieffanman
30th May 2009, 18:42
This was asked in another thread :). However, I'll state it here, too: I hope Eidos *does* re-release TDP, TMA, and TDS in a bundle-- with upgrades to be played on more modern OS's. After Thief IV is released, I know many people in the gaming community will want to see the previous games. Eidos would make a *ton* of money if they have the original games ready to go :).

--Thieffanman

P.S. If they could even get "Shadows Of The Metal Age" in the re-release bundle too, that would rock :).

Gillie
19th Aug 2009, 17:10
I put a link over at The crippled Burrick about the collection in one box which is out
I am not sure if it is available In the US would have thought so.
Apparently it has been tweaked for newer platforms someone over at TTLG has it working guess might need the DDfix for Vista but worth it for £10.00 which is cheap and a few Dollars. I think I will just for the Gold! :cool: seems is on one Disc
Already have one collection in a box separate discs TDP TMA TDS

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1129750#post1129750

The Complete Collection contains all three of the genre-defining stealth adventures,
Including the ultra-rare Gold edition of the first Thief game

ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
19th Aug 2009, 18:21
I already made a thread where they could release the original games at least for the Xbox 360 on Arcade. The game would be great to play.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Aug 2009, 21:14
This (here) thread is the original (and correct) one to discuss a boxed version of all the Thief games. :)

zombie32
24th Aug 2009, 06:37
Hey Gillie, thanks so much for the info regarding the boxed set from Amazon UK. I live in California, do a lot of business with Amazon (USA), and just put thru an order to Amazon UK, which seems to have worked! At least they just sent me an email confirming my order and gave me an estimated receive date of September 4th thru 9th. I first checked to see if it would be available on Amazon USA, but it wasn't. It cost me 8.98 Pounds, whatever that is, but right now I don't care. I have an old Dell computer, Windows 98, which I use to play Thief Gold on (733 MHz) and have always wanted to play it on a newer machine just for the convenience of not having to deal with set-up issues--sound, mouse/keyboard, getting it out of the closet etc. Thanks again for the info and I'll post the results of what happens when I find out.

Secondary
24th Aug 2009, 23:42
that wouldnt be hard to do, but again, is Eidos making theif 4 a reboot ofr one or both older games, or is it a sequel?

they can do both but they need to pick which to do first, an all in one re-release might be a littlwe to much to tackle at present

CerraMorgan
25th Aug 2009, 01:13
Yes, they need to dole out the goodies a little bit at a time. Keep us in suspense - and the wallets at the ready. ;)

Gillie
25th Aug 2009, 22:25
Hey Gillie, thanks so much for the info regarding the boxed set from Amazon UK. I live in California, do a lot of business with Amazon (USA), and just put thru an order to Amazon UK, which seems to have worked! At least they just sent me an email confirming my order and gave me an estimated receive date of September 4th thru 9th. I first checked to see if it would be available on Amazon USA, but it wasn't. It cost me 8.98 Pounds, whatever that is, but right now I don't care. I have an old Dell computer, Windows 98, which I use to play Thief Gold on (733 MHz) and have always wanted to play it on a newer machine just for the convenience of not having to deal with set-up issues--sound, mouse/keyboard, getting it out of the closet etc. Thanks again for the info and I'll post the results of what happens when I find out.

Pleased you were able to get it. Someone over at TTLG (UK) has it up and playing it is supposed to be able to play ok. I have ordered a copy too. I had T2 playing with the DDfix installed with Vista okay and great graphics. There are threads over at TTLG as well on the fix for vista. I have not tried Gold yet though with vista. I will try the new disc instead and see.
My computer is at Dell it died on me. Could be the Mother board.
This computer XP is very slow but I did have T2 and Gold on it.When I get the new disc and my computer back I will reinstall it all again and see.
As you said worth it for the Gold and low cost too. So hopefully.
Let us know your results. :thumb:

jtr7
25th Aug 2009, 22:52
Vista has introduced some problems not yet figured out. For instance, fog is broken (though that won't disappoint too many people, but some of us like the mood and like to see the missions more like the devs intended). Slowly people are figuring it out. What's baffling is that there are taffers who installed the games on Vista and had no issues (other than no fog).

Gillie
25th Aug 2009, 23:10
Vista has introduced some problems not yet figured out. For instance, fog is broken (though that won't disappoint too many people, but some of us like the mood and like to see the missions more like the devs intended). Slowly people are figuring it out. What's baffling is that there are taffers who installed the games on Vista and had no issues (other than no fog).

I did get T2 to work but with the DDfix though forVista no fog though. :hmm:
Plus for some reason I could not play back movies on media play but they play in game. Worked on this older computer, now I have no Thief2 at all it freezes up.
I am still waiting for my computer back and the new disc I will try and install that, so I am not sure if the fix is needed with it or not. Then I will try Gold too.

jtr7
25th Aug 2009, 23:16
Good luck to you!

Gillie
25th Aug 2009, 23:30
Good luck to you!
Thanks. :wave:
Luck I do need, I am starting to think of giving up :eek: I understand the Fix might not even be needed though. I believe fog is to do with which card you have? plus a vista conflict as well though/ I never has been able to get it on Vista or my old PC. I would like to see it oh well at least I could play it and the fm's.

zombie32
26th Aug 2009, 05:03
I have avoided Vista altogether. The last PC I bought was a Dell Core 2 Duo, 4 GB memory with a large HDD to use mostly for photography, at the tail end of the availability of XP. I was afraid my photo printer, scanner, wacom tablet etc. wouldn't work under Vista. Of course it has a piss weak video card, but I'm hoping it's enough to run an old (but much loved) game like Thief Gold. When TDS burst on the scene I bought an expensive Alienware Area 51 just to play the game, which has proven to be the most problem prone PC I have ever purchased, or built. The video card was the first to fail (overclocked) and now the sound doesn't work anymore nor does the modem. Never again. When the next Thief comes out I will probably buy something to play it, if my social security will allow. Failing that, maybe I'll get Alzheimers and play The Dark Project for the rest of my life and never know the difference.

minus0ne
26th Aug 2009, 05:33
I don't see what's the problem with Thief Gold and TMA: both work perfectly and only need one or two tweaks to get it to work (even on widescreen resolutions). Of course you can go further by installing texture/model packs, but I don't see EM including those into streamlined installation packages.

I'd much rather they include a SDK. Almost everyone here already has the original games (and they still work perfectly on XP/Vista, don't know about Windows 7 but I don't see why not).

Also, I think it's fairly unheard of for a sequel to include the original games. All three are still easily found in stores and webshops and eBay (and there's a Thief Collection which includes all games, and one that has the first two) so they're not exactly abandonware.

But since it's mostly for the fans and not the new players, and the fans already have the original games, I don't see a real need for this, but of course it would be welcomed (one can never have too many copies of the Thief games!).

jtr7
26th Aug 2009, 05:35
If you've got TMA's fog in Vista, I'd like to know what your system specs are. :)

CyKill
7th Sep 2013, 09:37
I'm not sure if this question has been asked, but I'm wondering if Eidos could include the previous Thief games on the Thief disc as bonus content? Imagine deadly shadows and the first and second thief restored in 1080p..

I know of other companies that have done this, and personally, I think it would be tremendous to play all the thief titles again on one console...

Keep up the good work, Eidos! Excited for thief 4 to be coming!!
:)

knox140
7th Sep 2013, 12:27
I'm liking this idea :thumb: Not just for our sake, though.

It might get the modern gamers to play the originals if they like this game, hopefully reducing the number of people saying "itt looks liek a rip of of asasins cred" on the Youtube comments. Otherwise the old games might just fade into obscurity.

lourat
7th Sep 2013, 16:00
I wouldn't be surprised if it comes as a bonus for pre-ordering on Steam. Don't think they'll do a console port though...

Jonah47
7th Sep 2013, 16:01
I'd love to see some ports of the original trilogy onto current and next generation consoles.
They are in serious need of an update, and though the fan made mods work brilliantly, a professional port would hopefully be better.
If they did repackage the old Thief games into some kind of HD Collection, I'd buy it, and I'm sure many other gamers who are interested in the new Thief reboot would check it out.

drunken taffer
7th Sep 2013, 22:49
I think this is a great idea for new gamers,who haven't played the originals.

Tellin359
8th Sep 2013, 23:20
Oh god I hope they do! :D

Eidos re-released the choppy, blocky graphiced Tomb Raider 1, into the top-notch graphiced Tomb Raider: Anniversary.

Imagine it! DP and MA in Anniversary/Underworld type graphics :eek:

I absolutely hated TR: Anniversary compared to the first game. I felt like they removed everything that I liked about both the gameplay and the aesthetics of the original. Turning the T-Rex intro into a cutscene and turning the boss battle into dodge-rinse-repeat? I felt like the sense of scale was diminished as well. The waterfalls, for example, didn't seem as tall or amazing anymore.

If they ever do remake the older Thief games, I hope they'll do so without adding quicktime events, third-person climbing sections or mid-mission cutscenes.

As for re-releasing the original trilogy, it does seem like something that GoG would be perfect for. I know the games are on Steam, but I have no idea if those versions have been altered at all for modern systems.

NewHorizon
9th Sep 2013, 12:36
What kind of HD retooling are folks talking about? If you mean the ingame resolution, widescreen and other extras that has already been done. The updated Dark Engine that was released to the community by Le Corbeau fixed a ton of issues and made it so Thief 1 and 2 would work on the newest operating systems, plus run in high resolution / widescreen settings...all configurable from within the game settings menu.

If you mean HD textures, then I don't see that happening since the majority of Thief's textures are photosourced from locations throughout Europe. I suspect Eidos isn't going to fund a trip to find them all. :)

knox140
10th Sep 2013, 21:47
Maybe a remastered T1, T2 and TDS could be released separately for consoles? I'd much rather have something that they've put time and effort into making and pay for it than something that they've just thrown in for free. Maybe they could include some of the fan maps, as well, or even better, make an extension game (using the same graphics and engine as T1 or T2) with new levels, new story etc. Thief fans won't mind about having old graphics (maybe with some better textures, though), if they put all their effort into making MASSIVE levels with loads of exploration, detail, secrets etc. I saw someone mention the 48 hour fan map challenge on TTLG- if one person can make a decent mission in 48 hours, imagine what an entire studio could do in, say, a month? If they included a really in-depth level editor that anyone could use it would be even better. They could even get Stephen Russell in to do some voice work. Imagine the possibilities...

There would be no compromises made on gameplay length for graphics, and the game would be untainted by the demands of the modern generation of gamers... Plus, with modern technology and the larger development teams they have now, I'd guess the game could be made relatively cheaply in a short amount of time.

I know this will never happen, but it's nice to dream about :D

You know you want to, Eidos :p