PDA

View Full Version : Thi4f and Oblivion

rebelscum
12th May 2009, 12:21
I have modded my Oblivion game with a lot of Thief style game play. Sneaking has always been a big part of Oblivion. What I liked about Thief 2 was the abience of the sneak.
Oblivion bring the open ended gameplay aspect into thing which is something that Thief should try to accomplish. A lot way to go to cach up with Oblivion. Why no just write a mod for Oblivion :)

Vlad27145
12th May 2009, 12:38
I have modded my Oblivion game with a lot of Thief style game play. Sneaking has always been a big part of Oblivion. What I liked about Thief 2 was the abience of the sneak.
Oblivion bring the open ended gameplay aspect into thing which is something that Thief should try to accomplish. A lot way to go to cach up with Oblivion. Why no just write a mod for Oblivion :)

Ehm, no?

And Morrowind is hugely better than Oblivion. If anything, one might want to catch up with that. But Thief isn't the best franchise to do it. It has a completely different scope, and that is one of the things that are awesome about it.

mister_riz
12th May 2009, 12:38
Because such a legendary title like Thief deserves to be more than a mod

Tracer Tong
12th May 2009, 21:03
Stop right there, criminal scum!

GmanPro
12th May 2009, 21:05
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b395/Nikoro-san/scum_sense_tingling.jpg?t=1242162276

Subjective Effect
12th May 2009, 21:21
Cleanse your filthy thoughts.

huzi73
12th May 2009, 21:30
Open world to be a bit more Oblivion inspired?Yes please!(instead of being like Deus Ex,which is essentially what TDS was)rather have one large city,with some smaller areas outside(look at the mapping out the city thread on the ttlg forums)For instance,what Oblivion did with Imperial city,T4 can do with its own city,with areas like the dungeons/caves in Oblivion,the T4 equivelent of the Bonehoard,Pagan forest(s),Cragscleft prison etc outside the city walls

acridrose
13th May 2009, 12:26
No!! :mad2: Avoid sandbox at all costs!- this is NOT what we love about thief. By doing this, developers can't help but make you run back and fourth, allowing little room for HUGE contrasts in design, colour and objectives that mission-progression gives you. Open world is a huge no-no- look at how assassin's creed turned out. The linear mission-base does not mean levels can't be huge.. but don't get trapped into giving us one huge place.. give us many places over many missions. Thief 3 was monochromic and repetitive due to their ambition of trying to give an pseudo-open-world. :mad2:

also, perhaps this thread should be merged?- this has been discussed a lot- and this is a silly thread.

WhatsHisFace
13th May 2009, 16:48
STOP! YOU HAVE VIOLATED THE LAW!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o47/WhatsHisFace911/OblivionWTF.gif

Herr_Garrett
13th May 2009, 19:24
You n'wah. How in hell did you come up with this extremely stupid at the first place?

Loup
17th Aug 2009, 19:18
Oblivion is a terrible example of what the developers should look at. We want a freedom of movement and choice in an detailed environment. TES:4 Oblivion gave us long trecks in an repetetive neverending dull green forest cliché.

"were watching you, scum"

xDarknessFallsx
17th Aug 2009, 19:46
What dragonfly flits about?

Hornpipe
20th Aug 2009, 14:43
No!! Avoid sandbox at all costs!- this is NOT what we love about thief. By doing this, developers can't help but make you run back and fourth, allowing little room for HUGE contrasts in design, colour and objectives that mission-progression gives you. Open world is a huge no-no- look at how assassin's creed turned out. The linear mission-base does not mean levels can't be huge.. but don't get trapped into giving us one huge place.. give us many places over many missions. Thief 3 was monochromic and repetitive due to their ambition of trying to give an pseudo-open-world.

also, perhaps this thread should be merged?- this has been discussed a lot- and this is a silly thread.

It's what I would love with thief : open world. Freedom ! It's the game's spirit.

It's possible to have the linear mission-base : you allow players to stole every buildings in the city to make stuff as the linear scenario's progress is programmed with timed triggers for missions spots (a man who visits Garrett when he is at home, for exemple, or an arrow with a message, who knows ?).

Open world with Radiant AI System ! It's what I'd like !

jtr7
20th Aug 2009, 21:33
The game's spirit includes a linear story with multiple ways to achieve the set goals.

agrash
20th Aug 2009, 21:36
STOP! YOU HAVE VIOLATED THE LAW!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o47/WhatsHisFace911/OblivionWTF.gif:lol:
ITS ALL OVER LAWBREAKER!

I can still hear a guard saying those things that in my head.
Even when you "steal" something stupid like a fork in a shack, they will come warping in right after a couple of seconds

Freddo
21st Aug 2009, 07:34
Wasn't this the initial plan the devs had with Thief 3? Give the player a large open-ended city to sneak around in as they pleased between the missions? But due RAM constraints of the original Xbox they ended up chopping up the city into plenty of smaller parts.

I think this could be done very well, if done correctly.

jtr7
21st Aug 2009, 07:44
Well, what came first, the concept of the Final Glyph built within the heart of The City (a small portion of the whole) or spread out missions? Most of The City has not been seen, and I'd rather get self-contained missions with unique and mysterious qualities than the homogenizing effect of a complete and connected sprawl.

cofiking
21st Aug 2009, 09:34
I agree with you on that!

matdmcc2
22nd Aug 2009, 23:41
Thank you for those hilarious city guard pics. While I did enjoy Oblivion (i have never had the chance to play Morrowind but heard it was better) Thief should not be remotely like it. And thank god that the guards in Thief went to smart guard school, instead of those guards in Oblivion that obviously rode the short carriage to stormtrooper academy. The only aspects of oblivion that might carry over well would be making your own potions, or perhaps altering your gear with spells or some such thing. But I would not want Garrett shooting blue sparks out of his fists or some such rubbish. Rebelscum while I do admire your creative thinking, sir I humbly ask you to step away from oblivion, pop in t2 or TG and enjoy them for the masterpieces that they are (maybe TDS). That is all.

Fatherwoodsie
23rd Aug 2009, 06:29
i vote no. dont base thief 4 on oblivion. base thief 4 on thief 1!

darkmagicasorseer
23rd Aug 2009, 06:55
Oblivion is not 100% and open world, there is still some loading sections when entering building or dungeons. It is almost similar to TDS, except no day and night cycle.

Secondary
25th Aug 2009, 18:33
as far as stealth games go oblivion doesnt even appear on the charts

sure, sneaking is more dynamic and usable than it was in arena, or daggerfall or even morrowind but it was still jsut another way to kill someone.

Thief is a stealth game, you can go the entire course without fatalities and still surmont any obstalce in the game

Oblivion is a hack'n'slash RPG, the best way to gain experience is by killing and looting, a stealthy plapyer who just got in and out by picking pockets and chests and never getting caught could never do well in the long run

to try and splice these two very different games is not advisable as they have very different goals, oblivion focuses on combat while Thief focuses on being sneaky

Ikana
26th Aug 2009, 23:15
Well, what came first, the concept of the Final Glyph built within the heart of The City (a small portion of the whole) or spread out missions? Most of The City has not been seen, and I'd rather get self-contained missions with unique and mysterious qualities than the homogenizing effect of a complete and connected sprawl.

I agree, that's not to say a large area of exploration within a mission would be bad, but having to trek for 20 minutes across the city to get somewhere would be annoying. I liked the first mission on TDP.. You could kind of walk through the streets on the way to the mansion, and choose various ways to get in..

That's kind of cool.. I dunno if I loved the cities clustered look (there was a book or a quote I remember.. The keepers commented on it's fast building time, and the cramped look it has) or if I would rather have wider streets with courtyards..

But yea, adding multiple pathways to get into rooms or buildings is always fun..
But no endless expanse of forest and stone please..

minus0ne
27th Aug 2009, 02:37
Please, let's save the 1000 km² open-world "City" game for something like Thief 7 ;) You know, in 2019, when all "AAA" titles have 400 million euro budgets and everyone plays games during REM-sleep :lol:

Lost Taffer
28th Aug 2009, 17:40
The game's spirit includes a linear story with multiple ways to achieve the set goals.

Hell yeah it does!

13LACK13ISHOP
28th Aug 2009, 20:11
Nah. I do not like open world games. Boulders gate is an exeption but I suppose it was an exeptional game. I hate open world games and they hate me(dont ask). Whatever floats your boat.

Gabriel
29th Aug 2009, 11:03
^ I think you mean "Baldur's Gate" :)
And I want Thief 4 to be like the original two. This is one time where people need to think "inside the box" :D (meaning improve on what's already well done in the first games)