PDA

View Full Version : Briefings / Cut Scenes / In-game Video etc

Aceyalone7777
12th May 2009, 09:52
Well I know there is a thread for suggestions, but I didnt want this one to be lost among the posts. Really what everyone missed in T3 from the original ones, was the briefings for entering the mission and sometimes for completing them. Really, they added to the whole atmosphere.

Another point I would like to add, is that Thief 3 tried to add more videos like the main intros and outros and e.g. where Constantine transforms into Trickster (thief 1) or where Victoria dies (thief 2). I was really glad I could see more videos like those in Thief 3, but unfortunately many of them shows Garret kinda... akward and each video was showing Garrett with different face than the previous one. Also some vvideos were made with in-game visuals, which were BAD! I would LOVE to see more videos like those I mentioned but only if they are gonna have the same expertise as the Thief 1+2!

Also I know the amount of videos played in T3 were big (so you couldnt have the same quality in everyone), so a T1-2 briefing would do the job

Last, an ideal amount of intro-outro-like-videos need to be around 4 or 5 (my opinion) - not counting the intros and outros which is more than the T1-2 but less than T3 (mainly because T3 I think had longer duration)

TheJoker
12th May 2009, 11:01
The cutscenes in Thief 1&2 were amazing, both artisticly and it brought up the atmosphere.

I agree that the cutscenes in Thief 3 made Garret look a bit, weird, but I still enjoyed having more cutscenes. The briefings should be more like in T1 and T2. But as long as it is Stephen Russel speaking of what will happen I think we all will enjoy it.

StalinsGhost
12th May 2009, 11:22
Definitely in the style of T1 and 2. T3's were okay, but not nearly as stylised.

Necros
12th May 2009, 14:48
I agree, the old briefings must return. :thumb: And the cutscenes' style should be like in T1 & T2 as well, but in high resolution. :cool:

ivanboringregistrations
12th May 2009, 15:54
below is the text translated from russian using google translator
sorry i don't know english so much =(

what i want to see in T4:

---- General ----

+ first of all - Garrett is the player in steampunk settings (as in T1)

+ Twists and incredible story, as Constantine checked Garrett (! mansion design!) Victoria took the eye in the T1
or in Quake 4 limbs cut off and turned into strogg,

in the Portal we get cake - and enemies trying to fry us - but we choose another way and see the inside of test laboratories, and links to half-life2 ep3

may be the idea of priquel will be good - as revived in time Nolan's Batman and his team in "batman returns".

+ Magic + unnatural (atypical locations such as the mansion of Constantine in T1 - The game with the prospect, turned ceilings, a living room - is responding to the actions of the player) and a strange-chilling (monsters like in "silent hill" with those strange moving) in one sentence "weird things".

---- ---- Gameplay

+ FPS and acrobatics like in Mirrors Edge.

+ keep gameplay mechanics (primary tasks - which could drastically change in a moment - but add some RPG elements telling us more deep stories), but as revolutionary approach in genre - make difficult access to the impregnable tower, lair of pagans, tall trees, etc. using acrobatics like in mirrors edge.

+ i like the huge size of the first and second parts (ending T1 - Forest and Valley of Woodsie Lord) and the incredible feeling of loneliness among strangers.

---- Design, animation ----

+ The quality of movement of characters and the animation is not worse than Asassin Creed, Prince of Persia 2008, GTA 4 (euphoria engine)

+ monsters with the strong character role development and vivid animation (garret throw the stonein one of two hammerite guards, and get their reaction: one beat another, and later (when they get tired) they go friendly with bottle of Roma and sing the songs =) Or dived guards from the roof and shoot in the air from a bow some arrows when some of them saw Garrett)

+ Collaborative AI - if Garrett camp in one place and enemies know exactly that he sitting there, smokes him out (ex.: trees are collected in one large root and take root across the land, appear behind the back of the Garrett LOL )

Photorealism ---- ----

+ Use of filters, which at the similarity in the Rid**** Dark Athena. but not exactly the same, i mean - in the right place blurry backgrounds, a small filmgrain, motion-blur, get off the plastics came from Doom3! do not like the graphics in t3 closest to the painted or illustarted art or so.

+ thunderstorm and downpour - the pillars of water, weeping the guards curse the weather.

+ high tower in the storm at night, great to see the castle from afar (another world, half life 2)

Sound and music ---- ----

+ Mix oppressive atmosphere (background sound and the rumble in prison T1) and replicas of drunken guardians in mansions LOL

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---- ---- Controversial ideas

+ When you start the game did not show menus, logo of designers, etc. and immediately start the game switching events, and drive both like in Call of duty 4 - bang! we are in prison, bang! Pagans took us to the forest, Bang! we appear in massacre of hammerites with pagans, bang! we in horrible tunnel of insect / ghosts, Bang! ... and only need to go into the setup menu when you need to set up your video settings, keyboar layout, etc. (braid, cod4)

+ interactive briefings created on QTE technology without menus and buttons!

+ Choice go to hunt in afternoon or in late night (t1 prison began from the day) or night, understand that it will significantly complicate the development of - but if not mistaken, this same team made the Prince and Asassine Creed - ie engine is almost ready.

+ Movement on long distances on horseback, in Asassine Creed they gave me seemed to ticks and are not interesting, but I did not see it at night - maybe it would be great.

+ Saves anywhere, without chekpoints.

+ Game to choose from, garret or play for another character (max payne 2) teenagers will be happy to consider a boobs in the first person view =)

---- I personally dislike ----

- Ordinary citizens - useless, so give them a collective mind and eloquent remarks in normal game situations, not just in scripted evenst: lady saw us and not only ran away and call guards, but if there are a number of other assistants - throw the table with them , sat behind table, throw a pair of bottles in Garrett. or tried to deal with him for money, not to kill them. or jumped from windows, or balconies. i don't like that NPC "go" as the trams on the tracks.

- Mechanists moving barrels, all addittional features of type pry your eyes, zoom and other mechanistic heresy - all would be good, but they are so easy to destroy a magical flying game that sprayed in the forest or pagans hammerites and their usage.

- Delete books and other reading and just pass on the story characters or script videos briefly about the events (devil may cry 4), because in the 21 st century living - so many information we see daily on the web - so i thnik i prefer 45 sec video / movie from book, rather than 3 pages of text.

who is agree / disagree - welcome =)
sorry for ugly english

--- on russian ---

что лично я хочу в четвертом:

---- общее ----

+ главный игрок гаррет, в steampunk сеттинге (как в T1 )

+ невероятные твисты сюжета, т.е. как константин проверил гаррета (!дизайн особняка!) виктория вырвала глаз в T1 или в quake 4 отрезали конечности и превратили в строгга, в portal получаем тортик - нас пытаются жарить - но мы выбираемся и видим изнанку тестовых лабораторий и отсылки к 3 эпизоду half life 2, думаю все всё поняли =) возможно посмотрнеть на идею с приквелом - как оживили в свое время бэтмана нолан и его команда в batman returns.

+ магия + неестественное (нетипичные локации наподобии особняка константина из Т1

- игра с перспективой, перевернутые потолки, живая комната - реагирует на действия игрока) и странное-пугающее (монстры silent hill без лиц, странно двигающиеся) одной фразой weird things.

---- игровой процесс ----

+ вид от первого лица и движения не скованные трамвайно-рельсовыми чуть прыгнул, чуть подбежал, а по принципу свободной акробатки наподобии Mirrors Edge.

Следовательно максимально облегченный арсенал и броня или на выбор игрока (или в магазине или при старте локации).

+ оставить механику геймплея прежней (четкие первичные задания - которые могут кардинально поменяться в миг и побочные тупо за бабками - но расскрывающие больше историй), но революцией сделать сложные доступы к неприступным башням, логовам паганов, высоким деревьям и т.п. там же и будут начинаться дополнительные миниквесты (mirrors edge + fallout 3)

+ оч. нравятся огромные размеры уровней первой и второй части (концовка T1 - леса и ущелье вудси лорда) и невероятное ощущение одиночества среди странников.

---- дизайн, анимация ----

+ качество движения персонажей и анимации не хуже чем Asassin Creed, Prince of Persia 2008, GTA 4 (euphoria engine)

+ самобытные монстры с яркими чертами характера (диалоги RPG?) и яркими анимациями (кинув камень в одного из двух стражников хаммеритов получить их реакцию - один другого излупит, но потом подружатся с бутылочкой рома. или самоотверженно ныряющие с крыш стражники в полете выстреливающие из лука заприметив гаррета),

+ коллективный разум - если гаррет кемпится в одном месте и они точно знают что он там, выкуривают его оттуда (деревья собираются в один большой корень и пустив корни через землю, появляются за спиной у гаррета, надуманно но суть передает =)

---- фотореализм ----

+ применение фильтров, что то на подобии как в Rid**** Dark Athena. но не точь в точь - в нужном месте размытые фоны, небольшой шумок кинопленки, motion-blur, долой пластик пришедший из Дум3! не нравится в t3 графика близкая к рисованной.

+ фотореалистичная гроза и ливень - столбы воды, мокнущие стражники проклинающие погоду.

+ замок-шпиль ночью в грозу, здорово видеть замок издали (another world, half life 2)

---- звук и музыка ----

+ обязательно с музыкой брозиуса и речами гаррета

+ микс гнетущей атмосферы (фоновый звук и гул в тюрьме T1) и реплики бухих стражников в особняках LOL

---- спорные идеи ----

+ при запуске игры не показывать набивших оскому меню, лого разработчиков и т.п. а сразу начинать игру переключая события и драйв как в call of duty 4 - бац мы в тюрьме, бац нас захватили паганы и выбираемся из леса, бац попадем в самую гущу расправы заммеритов с паганами, бац мы страшном туннеле с насекомыми / приведениями / сумасшедшими, бац ... и только лишь по необходимости идти в меню настроить видюху, клавиши и т.п. (braid, cod4)

+ брифинги и дефрифинги со статистикой сделать интерактивными QTE Роликами без меню и кнопок вообще, гаррет вваливается на кровать в своем доме, гдето на фоне кто то с русыми волосами и сиськами спрашивает как он провел ночь и что ему предстоит.

+ возможность выбора вылазки днем (тюрьма в t1 начиналась днем) или ночью, понимаю что это сильно усложнит разработку - но если не ошибаюсь, эта же команда делала принца и ассасин крид - т.е. движек уже почти готов.

+ перемещения на огромные расстояния верхом, в ассасине они мне показались для галочки и вовсе не интересными, но я не видел это ночью - может быть это будет здорово.

+ запись где угодно, без чекпоинтов.

+ игра на выбор или по сюжету за другого персонажа (max payne 2) тинейджеры будут счастливы разглядывать декольте в виде от первого лица =)

---- лично меня разражает ----

- обычные граждане бесполезно шныряющие по домам, вот бы им коллективный разум и красноречивые реплики в игровых обычных ситуациях а не только в заскриптованных: дама увидела нас и не только убежала и настучала охранникам, но и если есть рядом другие помощники - перекинула стол вместе с ними, присели за ним, кинули по паре сковородок в гаррета. или попыталась договорится с ним за деньги, чтобы не убивал их. или повыпрыгивали в окна, на балконы. ну и на худой конец побежали !кинематографически! наутек разбивая банки-склянки по пути, а не "поехали" как трамваи по рельсам.

- механические перемещающиеся бочки, всякие доп. штучки типа подглядывающего глаза, зума и прочая механистическая ересь - все бы хорошо, но они так легко разрушают магический налет игры, который исскусно наносится в лесу паганами или хаммеритами и их обычиями.

+ исключить книги и прочее чтиво совсем и переложить повествование на персонажей или скриптовые ведоролики кратко рассказывающие о событиях (devil may cry 4), ведь в 21 веке живем - информацией пресыщаемся ежедневно в вебе - лучше 45 сек видео/скриптовый ролик, чем 3 страницы текста.

кто с чем согласен / несогласен - пишите
и вот еще - может кто переведен на инглиш?
выложу на офиц форум eidos

ivanboringregistrations
12th May 2009, 15:56
below is the text translated from russian using google translator
sorry i don't know english so much =(

what i want to see in T4:

---- General ----

+ first of all - Garrett is the player in steampunk settings (as in T1)

+ Twists and incredible story, as Constantine checked Garrett (! mansion design!) Victoria took the eye in the T1
or in Quake 4 limbs cut off and turned into strogg,

in the Portal we get cake - and enemies trying to fry us - but we choose another way and see the inside of test laboratories, and links to half-life2 ep3

may be the idea of priquel will be good - as revived in time Nolan's Batman and his team in "batman returns".

+ Magic + unnatural (atypical locations such as the mansion of Constantine in T1 - The game with the prospect, turned ceilings, a living room - is responding to the actions of the player) and a strange-chilling (monsters like in "silent hill" with those strange moving) in one sentence "weird things".

---- ---- Gameplay

+ FPS and acrobatics like in Mirrors Edge.

+ keep gameplay mechanics (primary tasks - which could drastically change in a moment - but add some RPG elements telling us more deep stories), but as revolutionary approach in genre - make difficult access to the impregnable tower, lair of pagans, tall trees, etc. using acrobatics like in mirrors edge.

+ i like the huge size of the first and second parts (ending T1 - Forest and Valley of Woodsie Lord) and the incredible feeling of loneliness among strangers.

---- Design, animation ----

+ The quality of movement of characters and the animation is not worse than Asassin Creed, Prince of Persia 2008, GTA 4 (euphoria engine)

+ monsters with the strong character role development and vivid animation (garret throw the stonein one of two hammerite guards, and get their reaction: one beat another, and later (when they get tired) they go friendly with bottle of Roma and sing the songs =) Or dived guards from the roof and shoot in the air from a bow some arrows when some of them saw Garrett)

+ Collaborative AI - if Garrett camp in one place and enemies know exactly that he sitting there, smokes him out (ex.: trees are collected in one large root and take root across the land, appear behind the back of the Garrett LOL )

Photorealism ---- ----

+ Use of filters, which at the similarity in the Rid**** Dark Athena. but not exactly the same, i mean - in the right place blurry backgrounds, a small filmgrain, motion-blur, get off the plastics came from Doom3! do not like the graphics in t3 closest to the painted or illustarted art or so.

+ thunderstorm and downpour - the pillars of water, weeping the guards curse the weather.

+ high tower in the storm at night, great to see the castle from afar (another world, half life 2)

Sound and music ---- ----

+ Mix oppressive atmosphere (background sound and the rumble in prison T1) and replicas of drunken guardians in mansions LOL

---- ---- Controversial ideas

+ When you start the game did not show menus, logo of designers, etc. and immediately start the game switching events, and drive both like in Call of duty 4 - bang! we are in prison, bang! Pagans took us to the forest, Bang! we appear in massacre of hammerites with pagans, bang! we in horrible tunnel of insect / ghosts, Bang! ... and only need to go into the setup menu when you need to set up your video settings, keyboar layout, etc. (braid, cod4)

+ interactive briefings created on QTE technology without menus and buttons!

+ Choice go to hunt in afternoon or in late night (t1 prison began from the day) or night, understand that it will significantly complicate the development of - but if not mistaken, this same team made the Prince and Asassine Creed - ie engine is almost ready.

+ Movement on long distances on horseback, in Asassine Creed they gave me seemed to ticks and are not interesting, but I did not see it at night - maybe it would be great.

+ Saves anywhere, without chekpoints.

+ Game to choose from, garret or play for another character (max payne 2) teenagers will be happy to consider a boobs in the first person view =)

---- I personally dislike ----

- Ordinary citizens - useless, so give them a collective mind and eloquent remarks in normal game situations, not just in scripted evenst: lady saw us and not only ran away and call guards, but if there are a number of other assistants - throw the table with them , sat behind table, throw a pair of bottles in Garrett. or tried to deal with him for money, not to kill them. or jumped from windows, or balconies. i don't like that NPC "go" as the trams on the tracks.

- Mechanists moving barrels, all addittional features of type pry your eyes, zoom and other mechanistic heresy - all would be good, but they are so easy to destroy a magical flying game that sprayed in the forest or pagans hammerites and their usage.

- Delete books and other reading and just pass on the story characters or script videos briefly about the events (devil may cry 4), because in the 21 st century living - so many information we see daily on the web - so i thnik i prefer 45 sec video / movie from book, rather than 3 pages of text.

who is agree / disagree - welcome =)
sorry for ugly english

--- on russian ---

что лично я хочу в четвертом:

---- общее ----

+ главный игрок гаррет, в steampunk сеттинге (как в T1 )

+ невероятные твисты сюжета, т.е. как константин проверил гаррета (!дизайн особняка!) виктория вырвала глаз в T1 или в quake 4 отрезали конечности и превратили в строгга, в portal получаем тортик - нас пытаются жарить - но мы выбираемся и видим изнанку тестовых лабораторий и отсылки к 3 эпизоду half life 2, думаю все всё поняли =) возможно посмотрнеть на идею с приквелом - как оживили в свое время бэтмана нолан и его команда в batman returns.

+ магия + неестественное (нетипичные локации наподобии особняка константина из Т1

- игра с перспективой, перевернутые потолки, живая комната - реагирует на действия игрока) и странное-пугающее (монстры silent hill без лиц, странно двигающиеся) одной фразой weird things.

---- игровой процесс ----

+ вид от первого лица и движения не скованные трамвайно-рельсовыми чуть прыгнул, чуть подбежал, а по принципу свободной акробатки наподобии Mirrors Edge.

Следовательно максимально облегченный арсенал и броня или на выбор игрока (или в магазине или при старте локации).

+ оставить механику геймплея прежней (четкие первичные задания - которые могут кардинально поменяться в миг и побочные тупо за бабками - но расскрывающие больше историй), но революцией сделать сложные доступы к неприступным башням, логовам паганов, высоким деревьям и т.п. там же и будут начинаться дополнительные миниквесты (mirrors edge + fallout 3)

+ оч. нравятся огромные размеры уровней первой и второй части (концовка T1 - леса и ущелье вудси лорда) и невероятное ощущение одиночества среди странников.

---- дизайн, анимация ----

+ качество движения персонажей и анимации не хуже чем Asassin Creed, Prince of Persia 2008, GTA 4 (euphoria engine)

+ самобытные монстры с яркими чертами характера (диалоги RPG?) и яркими анимациями (кинув камень в одного из двух стражников хаммеритов получить их реакцию - один другого излупит, но потом подружатся с бутылочкой рома. или самоотверженно ныряющие с крыш стражники в полете выстреливающие из лука заприметив гаррета),

+ коллективный разум - если гаррет кемпится в одном месте и они точно знают что он там, выкуривают его оттуда (деревья собираются в один большой корень и пустив корни через землю, появляются за спиной у гаррета, надуманно но суть передает =)

---- фотореализм ----

+ применение фильтров, что то на подобии как в Rid**** Dark Athena. но не точь в точь - в нужном месте размытые фоны, небольшой шумок кинопленки, motion-blur, долой пластик пришедший из Дум3! не нравится в t3 графика близкая к рисованной.

+ фотореалистичная гроза и ливень - столбы воды, мокнущие стражники проклинающие погоду.

+ замок-шпиль ночью в грозу, здорово видеть замок издали (another world, half life 2)

---- звук и музыка ----

+ обязательно с музыкой брозиуса и речами гаррета

+ микс гнетущей атмосферы (фоновый звук и гул в тюрьме T1) и реплики бухих стражников в особняках LOL

---- спорные идеи ----

+ при запуске игры не показывать набивших оскому меню, лого разработчиков и т.п. а сразу начинать игру переключая события и драйв как в call of duty 4 - бац мы в тюрьме, бац нас захватили паганы и выбираемся из леса, бац попадем в самую гущу расправы заммеритов с паганами, бац мы страшном туннеле с насекомыми / приведениями / сумасшедшими, бац ... и только лишь по необходимости идти в меню настроить видюху, клавиши и т.п. (braid, cod4)

+ брифинги и дефрифинги со статистикой сделать интерактивными QTE Роликами без меню и кнопок вообще, гаррет вваливается на кровать в своем доме, гдето на фоне кто то с русыми волосами и сиськами спрашивает как он провел ночь и что ему предстоит.

+ возможность выбора вылазки днем (тюрьма в t1 начиналась днем) или ночью, понимаю что это сильно усложнит разработку - но если не ошибаюсь, эта же команда делала принца и ассасин крид - т.е. движек уже почти готов.

+ перемещения на огромные расстояния верхом, в ассасине они мне показались для галочки и вовсе не интересными, но я не видел это ночью - может быть это будет здорово.

+ запись где угодно, без чекпоинтов.

+ игра на выбор или по сюжету за другого персонажа (max payne 2) тинейджеры будут счастливы разглядывать декольте в виде от первого лица =)

---- лично меня разражает ----

- обычные граждане бесполезно шныряющие по домам, вот бы им коллективный разум и красноречивые реплики в игровых обычных ситуациях а не только в заскриптованных: дама увидела нас и не только убежала и настучала охранникам, но и если есть рядом другие помощники - перекинула стол вместе с ними, присели за ним, кинули по паре сковородок в гаррета. или попыталась договорится с ним за деньги, чтобы не убивал их. или повыпрыгивали в окна, на балконы. ну и на худой конец побежали !кинематографически! наутек разбивая банки-склянки по пути, а не "поехали" как трамваи по рельсам.

- механические перемещающиеся бочки, всякие доп. штучки типа подглядывающего глаза, зума и прочая механистическая ересь - все бы хорошо, но они так легко разрушают магический налет игры, который исскусно наносится в лесу паганами или хаммеритами и их обычиями.

+ исключить книги и прочее чтиво совсем и переложить повествование на персонажей или скриптовые ведоролики кратко рассказывающие о событиях (devil may cry 4), ведь в 21 веке живем - информацией пресыщаемся ежедневно в вебе - лучше 45 сек видео/скриптовый ролик, чем 3 страницы текста.

кто с чем согласен / несогласен - пишите
и вот еще - может кто переведен на инглиш?

Nate
12th May 2009, 16:45
Cut scenes were great in Thief 1 & 2 (and cheaper to make). Cut scenes were also fine in Thief DS.

rezorrand
13th May 2009, 10:53
Personally, taking away the books would be a rather bad move. Making a video about the books? That would only add work to the animators, increase the size of the game without adding almost anything. Besides you are not forced to read the books anyway, so you could just skip them if you don't want to delve yourself into the lore of the City.
We aren't that ADHD, besides if one had ADHD, I doubt Thief would be the first game series I'd recommend.

acridrose
13th May 2009, 11:37
I have to point out that the non-ingame cutscenes from T3 were actually very admirable:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7tzkvY5zaI&feature=related
for instance (spoilers in there :P)
But I do agree that the cutscenes from T1&2 are unmatched (especially with the passage excerpts at the beginning of each).

Necros
13th May 2009, 14:50
Yes, they were very good but they didn't have that special little extra that was present in T1 & T2, the art style was close but not close enough, I think.

Corvin25
14th May 2009, 13:07
3D isn't always better. The cutscenes were an example. Yes, definitely return to the "movnig paintings" style of Thief 1 and 2.

Prince_VLAD
14th May 2009, 17:52
Well I know there is a thread for suggestions, but I didnt want this one to be lost among the posts. Really what everyone missed in T3 from the original ones, was the briefings for entering the mission and sometimes for completing them. Really, they added to the whole atmosphere.

I miss too the Thief I & II missions intros...

Icky6
14th May 2009, 20:18

Another point I would like to add, is that Thief 3 tried to add more videos like the main intros and outros and e.g. where Constantine transforms into Trickster (thief 1) or where Victoria dies (thief 2). I was really glad I could see more videos like those in Thief 3, but unfortunately many of them shows Garret kinda... akward and each video was showing Garrett with different face than the previous one. Also some vvideos were made with in-game visuals, which were BAD! I would LOVE to see more videos like those I mentioned but only if they are gonna have the same expertise as the Thief 1+2!

Also I know the amount of videos played in T3 were big (so you couldnt have the same quality in everyone), so a T1-2 briefing would do the job

Last, an ideal amount of intro-outro-like-videos need to be around 4 or 5 (my opinion) - not counting the intros and outros which is more than the T1-2 but less than T3 (mainly because T3 I think had longer duration)

Ah yes! You really hit the nail on the head here. The briefings are good, I missed them in T3. T3 did a good job with replicating the visual style in the drawn cut scenes, I was pleased with that... but as you said, the in-game cut scenes made me throw up a little bit in my mouth. Just terrible. And they were just completely unnecessary. Anyway, the briefings and Thief-style cut scenes need to make a comeback.

GmanPro
14th May 2009, 22:00
I miss too the Thief I & II missions intros...

Me too

Blue Sky
15th May 2009, 00:25
Yeah, bring back the briefing videos.

If amateur fans living in straw and infested with gerbils can produce top quality briefing videos, then I don't see why big expensive games company employees full of wine and gold can't knock up something decent over their three hour lunch breaks.

DanielOcean
15th May 2009, 09:25
I loved the briefing videos of Thief 1 and 2.

The cutscenes were nice to watch, too.

But please! If you make cutscenes: dramatize the cutscenes (like in thief 2)! You need development inside the cutscenes and some conflict. Otherwise the cutscene is just for the sake of information. And in that case, you could have used something different.

Blue Sky
15th May 2009, 23:49
I loved the briefing videos of Thief 1 and 2.

The cutscenes were nice to watch, too.

But please! If you make cutscenes: dramatize the cutscenes (like in thief 2)! You need development inside the cutscenes and some conflict. Otherwise the cutscene is just for the sake of information. And in that case, you could have used something different.

Hmm...maybe.

Dark Project only has three "proper" cutscenes (including the ending one), and both are very exciting.

The rest are just briefing notes, really. But those three proper cutscenes have a huge impact.

Nephthys
16th May 2009, 00:41
I played Deadly Shadows before I even knew about the other games, and I was kind of bored with the briefings there.
Since it was just words scrolling I was kind of like "blahblahblahblah"
So I think that took away from a lot of the atmosphere, among other things.
After playing Thief 2, I realized that even though they were pretty much just slide shows, the cut scenes worked perfectly to keep you engaged in the story.
I still haven't gotten Thief 1 to work on my computer, but I've watched the cutscenes for it too.
But as far as cutscenes go, as long as it's not in reading form, the briefings would be fine if they were like the first two games.

simlan
16th May 2009, 23:10
I think that the cut scenes within t3 were very good and stayed true to the series, and would welcome seeing more of this in t4. I would want to see the Excerpts from the first 2 games back as this i felt helped in the immersion that knowledge is everything, on top of that it was interesting to read and made me want to see more.

huzi73
16th May 2009, 23:25
I think we need the old stylised excerpts first style briefings

CurtX
16th May 2009, 23:39
Dark Project only has three "proper" cutscenes (including the ending one), and both are very exciting.
The rest are just briefing notes, really.
But these "notes" were still much, much better in cutscene format than just plain text. The illustrations always gave a rough peak of the forthcoming mission area and key items. And it showed a picture of the map. It helped us visualize the plotting Garrett was doing while narrating it. I recall watching the briefing for missions like Bafford's or Cragscleft for the first time, thinking "this is going to be so cool."

BlooferLady
17th May 2009, 18:15
I agree with Nephthys, the scrolling-text briefings were fairly dull. I caught myself skipping them, which is unimaginable when Stephen Russell is doing the reading! I liked how the slideshow briefings kept you visually and aurally tuned in. They didn't break the immersion of the game like a block of text does.

I was pleased with DS's drawn cutscenes. I felt like that actually was a very good example of enhancing and advancing an aspect of the game while still keeping the feeling of the old art.

I'm glad that other people thought the in-game cutscenes looked weird. I thought it was just my computer that made them look like wax dolls walking around... I liked having them, but unless you're willing to make them look great, I'm not sure why you would keep making them when they make the player sit up and notice how awkward they are. Possibly newer gaming technology has already solved this for us.

Flashart
18th May 2009, 14:13
I too liked the T1-2 cutscenes, rather have those than live action. Would you want short ones after each mission or fewer long ones scattered throughout?
For mission briefings perhaps some scroll or book, which could be adapted by the editor for FMs.

Immano
19th May 2009, 10:35
The cutscenes in TDS that were made using the game engine suffered from the fact that the guys at Ion, bless them, never had full control of the Unreal engine and, by rewriting so much of it, didn't manage to optimize it as it should have been. In a world where the Source engine made things look real good and convincing, a modified UT engine where collisions generate ballistic results (less than in DX:IW but still) and characters feel like rubberized robots was doomed to look *ugh*. Still, it wasn't always like that, the Cradle characters were animated much more convincingly.

At any rate, personally I always felt that the minimalistic animation in the cutscenes for the two Looking Glass games were part of its charm, probably because they had lots of direction, photography, scripting, acting and art crammed into them. The music and ambiance brought to life what at a passing glance could've been taken for a slideshow, though it was aactually much more complex than that.

The two opening scenes were another thing I'd watch over and over, they had more animation without breaking into full motion video, they had a sketchy artwork look to them that made them stand out over the general trend of the time, and that was good. It was a pity that T2 didn't end in music like T1 (though they were in a rush to get it released so it's better than nothing), whereas the fact that TDS practically didn't have a real opening, sending you to the menu right after the logo parade, was really unnerving. I find it important, for this series, that the ambiance be presented to the player in the most convincing way, and IMO Deadly Shadows failed at that at least in part.

NathanGPLC
19th May 2009, 12:03
The living-painting, 2-d animations from Thief 1 & 2 (even the scenes where Constantine transforms, Garrett polishes his eye, etc) were wonderfully atmospheric---which is what this game needs.

There's nothing wrong with using new technology, but I would look forward to seeing new tech used to create that atmosphere, rather than new tech used because it was available. The old-style briefings really got you into the game and made the story feel much more immediate than watching scrolling text or clunky 3d character dolls.

I also appreciated that many of the more complex scenes involving people seemed to show actual filming; I could be wrong, but it looked to me like they video-ed the shadows of people wearing cloaks and inserted that into some of the cutscenes in T1 & T2. I thought that was fairly clever, and it looked pretty good.

Blessed be,
~Nathan

Necros
19th May 2009, 13:03
There's nothing wrong with using new technology, but I would look forward to seeing new tech used to create that atmosphere, rather than new tech used because it was available. The old-style briefings really got you into the game and made the story feel much more immediate
:thumb:

I agree with Nephthys, the scrolling-text briefings were fairly dull.
:eek: Blasphemy, it still was Stephen "The God of Voices" Russell reading those briefings! :D True, I missed the old briefings a lot and want them back! but I couldn't skip them, not even when I was replaying levels, Stephen is just too good to skip his briefings. :cool:

oceanclub
19th May 2009, 13:39
Am I the only one who doesn't think there should be video cut-scenes? Part of what I loved about the Thief series was the sense of immersion, and those style of cut-scenes for the most part (perhaps dream sequences aside) are immersion-breakers.

More here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-9904603-17.html

P.

Myth
19th May 2009, 13:56
I agree with you all that the T1 and T2 style briefings must return. I'm at work right now so i can't go to youtube and post a link to the Bafford intro, but I'm sure someone else will deliver :) Just look at it - no flashy 4d graphics and motion capture - just great art, amazing sound and Stephen's voice smoothly setting the mood for "a bit of burglary".

Espion
19th May 2009, 16:12
If that was in the game, and there was an option to turn it off, I'm afraid I'd turn it off. That kind of action shot is just completely out of place in Thief if you ask me.

Teasza
19th May 2009, 16:16
"You're a thief, not a murderer."

Not to reignite the argument about killing or anything - I think people should be able to kill at lower difficulties if they want to - but actively highlighting it by surrounding it with swanky graphical tricks? It just shifts the emphasis away from what the game is TRULY about, which is stealing. More emphasis placed on being an assassin = a bad thing.

Teasza
19th May 2009, 16:28
double post.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
19th May 2009, 16:32
Yeah, awesome idea. And Garrett should say something like "damn I'm good" when he does it. Like Duke Nukem.

Ok no more sarcasm. That would be neat in a cinematic replay mode though.

As far as making killing more interesting? I always felt that having realistic ragdolls and blood alone makes killing pretty neat in games. That or different methods of killing. Say a guard is standing under a giant chandelier. Well you can imagine the rest. Actually wasn't their a giant chandelier meets guard moment in TDS? Maybe I'm thinking of Dark Messiah.

I'd imagine people would enjoy some creative kills in thief 4. And I'd imagine that they would have the physics to make it happen.

Teasza
19th May 2009, 16:37
And you have seen the intro videos for TDP and TMA, right?
Haha yeah, the intros, a lot of people forget that. No, I don't mean killing is necessarily bad. I just mean that placing emphasis on it might channel the game into a different direction, which might not really reflect the overall philosophy.

Myth
19th May 2009, 16:41
I'd say no to that, this sounds too much like the headshot effects in Max Payne

Terr
19th May 2009, 17:08
I'd probably turn it off, myself. XIII (http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/e3/0515/pc_xiii05150100_screen006.jpg) also did it, but there it was just additional comic-book-immersion.

Yaphy
19th May 2009, 18:07
I think it would be awesome if, whenever you scored a silent kill with a broadhead, the camera followed the arrow through the air to its target.

Is there silent kills with broadhead arrows? :scratch:

jay pettitt
19th May 2009, 19:39
I tell you what I would like; for bow zoom to stay zoomed for a little while so I can see how far off my shot was and adjust for next time. And I'm sure Gorephazer would appreciate being able to watch his arrow hit home.

DarthEnder
19th May 2009, 21:31
Is there silent kills with broadhead arrows? :scratch:You should be able to with a throat shot, but so far none of the games have that level of damage recognition.

theBlackman
19th May 2009, 21:36
Why don't you and others who think like you just forget THIEF and go play one of the hundreds of other maim, murder and mayhem games.

If that's what you want, you don't need to mess up the single most unique game premise available.
Put a sock in it.

Petike the Taffer
19th May 2009, 21:53
Pah. All flash and no real substance.

Here's a cooler idea : Guards with polearms ! We've seen them already in some of the cutscenes (especially TDP and TDS), but I was always dissapointed with their non-existence in the game itself.

Also, how about guards and combatants with maces or clubs ? I can only recall Ramirez from TDP using a melee weapon like that...

MasterTaffer
19th May 2009, 21:54
Why don't you and others who think like you just forget THIEF and go play one of the hundreds of other maim, murder and mayhem games.

If that's what you want, you don't need to mess up the single most unique game premise available.
Put a sock in it.

It's not necessary for you to tell them to "Put a sock in it." Last I knew, killing was an option on lower difficulties.

Alternate play styles are one of the things that made the original two games so much fun. Lytha, ghosting, headhunting, minimalist styles and others helped increase the longevity of the game, and flatly saying there's no murdering in Thief (In a rather rude fashion, I may add) kills a lot of those alternate playing styles.

There's no killing on the expert difficulty because that's what the expert difficulty is there for, a challenge. Telling people how to play a game is like kicking a kid's sand castle down because "He didn't build it right!" (AKA, your way.)

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
19th May 2009, 22:13
lol Master Taffer, you just made me imagine theBlackman and Gorephazer on a beach. theBlackman stomps his castle and kicks sand in his eyes then tells Gore's friends to beat it.:D

Locals Only!

ZylonBane
19th May 2009, 22:16
A cool idea.
This thread was doomed from the moment it was named.

MasterTaffer
19th May 2009, 22:17
lol Master Taffer, you just made me imagine theBlackman and Gorephazer on a beach. theBlackman stomps his castle and kicks sand in his eyes then tells Gore's friends to beat it.:D

Locals Only!

Don't worry, if Gorephazer beats theBlackman in the 3rd annual surf off, he'll prove that the nerdy underdog outsider can be accepted by his fellow man and save the youth center all in one move!

theBlackman
19th May 2009, 22:30
It's not necessary for you to tell them to "Put a sock in it." Last I knew, killing was an option on lower difficulties.

Alternate play styles are one of the things that made the original two games so much fun. Lytha, ghosting, headhunting, minimalist styles and others helped increase the longevity of the game, and flatly saying there's no murdering in Thief (In a rather rude fashion, I may add) kills a lot of those alternate playing styles.

There's no killing on the expert difficulty because that's what the expert difficulty is there for, a challenge. Telling people how to play a game is like kicking a kid's sand castle down because "He didn't build it right!" (AKA, your way.)

There are ample options, and killing on the lower levels is one of them. The game already has that option, and the tools with which to do it. There is no need for umpty thousand murderous weapons and BFG to be added.

The game as it stands WAS BUILT RIGHT, and does what it is intended to do. Arbitrary MORE is not better. And in this case, and others posted throughout, defeat the whole purpose of the game.

You want to kill in the game do it. But don't say "I need more..." because you can't handle the limitations. There are a lot of games where you don't have to think it through, and don't need to learn to use what you have, because you can always get rewarded by the invinciblity shield or BFG.

TDP and TMA were well-designed, with options, and don't/didn't need all the fancy crap. As I said and will say, there are many games out there that cater to all tastes. If THIEF in its basic form and premise is not to your liking DON'T PLAY IT!.

Not complicated at all. I hate Scotch. So... I don't drink it. Adding flavors to enhance it so the nondrinkers will drink it is ruining a good drink that many enjoy. Adding flavors to THIEF will not enhance the game, but will ruin a unique gaming experience.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. And, to a degree, they are all valid. But watering the Whiskey, like diluting the game atmosphere and "taste" is to the detriment of the game, and the liquour.

MasterTaffer
19th May 2009, 22:37
There are ample options, and killing on the lower levels is one of them. The game already has that option, and the tools with which to do it. There is no need for umpty thousand murderous weapons and BFG to be added.

The game as it stands WAS BUILT RIGHT, and does what it is intended to do. Arbitrary MORE is not better. And in this case, and others posted throughout, defeat the whole purpose of the game.

You want to kill in the game do it. But don't say "I need more..." because you can't handle the limitations. There are a lot of games where you don't have to think it through, and don't need to learn to use what you have, because you can always get rewarded by the invinciblity shield or BFG.

TDP and TMA were well-designed, with options, and don't/didn't need all the fancy crap. As I said and will say, there are many games out there that cater to all tastes. If THIEF in its basic form and premise is not to your liking DON'T PLAY IT!.

Not complicated at all. I hate Scotch. So... I don't drink it. Adding flavors to enhance it so the nondrinkers will drink it is ruining a good drink that many enjoy. Adding flavors to THIEF will not enhance the game, but will ruin a unique gaming experience.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. And, to a degree, they are all valid. But watering the Whiskey, like diluting the game atmosphere and "taste" is to the detriment of the game, and the liquour.

I misinterpreted your previous statement as "there's no killing in Thief." My mistake. Adding new killing tools would indeed deter from the spirit of the game.

I still disagree with the need to tell people to "put a sock in it" however.

DoomyDoomyDoomDoom
19th May 2009, 22:48
I agree with theBlackman. King of the beach.

However! I can't drink liquor itself. I love mixing soda with all of em. Has nothing to do with Thief!

WVI
19th May 2009, 22:52
Wow, guys. The guy humbly makes a suggestion you don't like and you tear into him like he's in charge of the project. Calm down.

"HE'S RUINING MY GAME!" What? No he's not. Yeesh.

ZylonBane
19th May 2009, 22:56
Wow, guys. The guy humbly makes a suggestion you don't like and you tear into him like he's in charge of the project. Calm down.
There is nothing humble about naming your thread "A cool idea". If he'd named it "A very silly idea", it might have gone better for him.

Thieffanman
20th May 2009, 01:10
I agree that the cutscenes in Thief 3 made Garret look a bit, weird, but I still enjoyed having more cutscenes. The briefings should be more like in T1 and T2. But as long as it is Stephen Russel speaking of what will happen I think we all will enjoy it.

Second that. In my opinion, T3 had the right amount of cutscenes-- no more, no less. With the advancements in animation and graphic design since TDS, hopefully Garrett will look a little more uniform in T4 :D.

Switching off between 3D graphic cutscenes and ones with drawn animation never really bothered me; as far as I am concerned T4 can do that as well.

The briefings worked in the beginning of each mission to help the player find direction, versus just "see it, steal it, and run"; I say leave them as is complete with the option for the player to skip them if they wish-- And yes, more love for Stephen Russel here: The *way* he read the text gave the player the idea of what mood Garrett was in, right down to his jaded/ sarcastic view of a mission. Hearing the mission briefing read by the character *did* help immerse me in the game better than just reading a piece of text.

--Thieffanman

WVI
20th May 2009, 01:31
Haha, I can't believe the filter here censors the **** in Rid****.

randomtaffer
20th May 2009, 03:18
p.s. your analogy doesn't really make any sense. What if I love scotch but I think it's better with a hint of flavoring added? Apparently this means I can't drink it the way I like because that's "tainting" the scotch?

Of course you can drink it the way you like. I think his point was that you shouldn't add your preferred flavor to all scotch as most people who drink it probably like it just the way it is.

theBlackman
20th May 2009, 03:47
Of course you can drink it the way you like. [...] [...]shouldn't add your preferred flavor to all scotch as most people who drink it probably like it just the way it is.

:thumb:

DarthEnder
20th May 2009, 03:56

Put a sock in it.Is the stance of "you shouldn't be allowed to express your opinions" really the kind of thing a mod should be expressing?

theBlackman
20th May 2009, 04:19
Is the stance of "you shouldn't be allowed to express your opinions" really the kind of thing a mod should be expressing?

In this case you seem to have the wrong idea of a MOD. In MOD mode, trolls, spam, foul language and other violations are addressed.

You can express any opinion you want. I, in turn can express any opinion I want. I never said at any time that "you shouldn't be allowed to express your opinion". You will NEVER see that as a quote from me.

You may have misread something (if in fact you did READ it and not just scan), that led you to that conclusion, but in all my years here, and as a MOD (which does not exclude personal opinions by MODS -which carry no more weight than any other poster- unless violation of the TOU or other is involved), I have NEVER even hinted that any member could not express an opinion. In MOD mode all discussions are held in PM not the open forum.

In this case I'm just another poster.

Note that in my suggestion I clearly indicated that it would be optional. So he was effectively proposing that we ban all scotch flavorings simply because they offend scotch "purists"

Untrue. If the truth be known, anyone who "Flavors" an alcoholic beverage because they don't like, or can't handle the taste, should not be drinking. If you strip it to the bare facts, that person is looking more for the alcohol lift, or buzz rather than enjoying the drink.

If you need flavored Vodka, Margeritas, or such, in order to "enjoy" a drink, you should really examine the reason you drink.

Scotch, Whiskey, Vodka, Tequila, etc. all have a unique flavor. Unless you are just drinking to drink or get buzzed, they don't need "Flavoring" to be enjoyed. Everclear (a 200 proof alcohol), has no taste. So it is often "flavored" with fruit juices and other mixes. But it is drunk soley for the purpose of getting drunk, or otherwise buzzed.

kin
20th May 2009, 04:54
I think it would be awesome if, whenever you scored a silent kill with a broadhead, the camera followed the arrow through the air to its target. I'm not talking slow motion or anything, you would just see and hear the arrow zip through the air and (for example) slam into the guard's throat, then watch him fall to his knees making horrible gurgling noises before falling flat on the floor. It would all happen very quickly

Of course I know that this may be immersion-breaking for some, so there could always be an option to turn it off.

Rename the post title to "A stupid idea" my opinion

Espion
20th May 2009, 05:05
I tell you what I would like; for bow zoom to stay zoomed for a little while so I can see how far off my shot was and adjust for next time. And I'm sure Gorephazer would appreciate being able to watch his arrow hit home.

This.

It's keeping within what the game already did, satisfies those who enjoy death animations (er... ok), and serves a useful purpose in showing where your shot went.

If you wanted to make a shot then quickly start moving again you could easily remove the awkwardness of remaining zoomed in by having it immediately zoom out if you switch weapon or start moving/turning.

Nice solution Jay Pettitt. Best of both worlds, and it serves a useful purpose to boot :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th May 2009, 08:26
Rename the post title to "A stupid idea" my opinion
Best course of action is to merge it into general discussion thread. Done. :thumb:

Myth
20th May 2009, 15:21
So adding a classy new camera angle suddenly makes Thief a gorefest? I don't think so. I might as well tell you to just go play Thief 2 if all you want is the same old same old. But that's not what you want, is it? You want a new and improved Thief game. So do I. It would be nice if you respected my opinion on what this new game should be as much as I respect yours--and believe me, I do; if Thief 4 was just Thief 2 with new levels and prettier graphics I would be perfectly fine with that. I just think a few new features wouldn't hurt. But apparently you can't extend to me the same courtesy...

By the way I think that my suggestion is perfectly in line with the Thief persona. As I have already pointed out, the intro cinematics for T1 and T2 were pretty "action-oriented" what with the music and the violence, and I think that they are really cool and would like to see more of that. There's no need to insult me.

p.s. your analogy doesn't really make any sense. What if I love scotch but I think it's better with a hint of flavoring added? Apparently this means I can't drink it the way I like because that's "tainting" the scotch?
A classy new camera? Classy?..... seriously if that's your definition of classy i rest my case. Also, addng anything other than ice to your scotch ruins it, and if you can't appreciate the taste and flavour it comes with you should not drink it. Pouring Coke/Red Bull in a 16 year old Single Malt makes you look like a $)*(@%

I am so tired of teen and pre-teen kiddies that have enjoyed Assassin Creed's "STABBY TIME" and 2 kilometer hay diving coming here and asking for Thief to be turned in to something it's not supposed to be.

So, your argument is that because in one or two intro movies we saw Garrett killing a guard, that weighs more on Thief than the actual gameplay of the series? This is absurd.

Let me explain something to all of you that want bullet time, headshot movies, dual wielding daggers etc. Thief has been, and always will remain a SNEAKING game, where you progress trough use of stealth, cunning and skill. This is the fundamental basics LGS introduced with TDP. if you want to be an assassin, spy, sniper or a combination of the above - go play something else and stop whining in these forums :mad2:

Thief does not need a lot of the crap that came with TDS, and it damn well does not need even worse crap to be introduced. I feel truly sorry for all you kiddies that encountered the Thief series with TDS and will never udnerstand the first two games, even if you have played them while mumbling *graphics.. hurr durr no loot glint.. hurr durr too hard*

Smooogy
20th May 2009, 15:26

OMG yes the cutscenes were so fake in Thief 3. My brother argued that he thought they were better than those in 1 and 2 and I asked him if he had seen the ones using the "in game models." Those cutscenes looked like someone made them to put on YouTube

Myth
20th May 2009, 16:35
For someone who labeled his post "a cool idea" you seem very easily offended. This whole outburst was not directed at you per say, only the first paragraph. IMO (and take this as me politely disagreeing) headshot movies and other such additions have no place in the Thief games.

Smooogy
20th May 2009, 16:59
For someone who labeled his post "a cool idea" you seem very easily offended. This whole outburst was not directed at you per say, only the first paragraph. IMO (and take this as me politely disagreeing) headshot movies and other such additions have no place in the Thief games.

Agreed

BlooferLady
21st May 2009, 00:20
I was going to mention this in my previous post, but does anyone else love how the devs added some delicious humor to the old T1 and T2 mission briefings? I think one of the best examples is the briefing to Framed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HjPadjTsso&feature=related . I think the slide-show briefings gave them more of an opportunity to accomplish that sort of writing, and I for one would like to see more of that. ;)

theBlackman
21st May 2009, 07:07
A classy new camera? Classy?..... seriously if that's your definition of classy i rest my case. Also, addng anything other than ice to your scotch ruins it, and if you can't appreciate the taste and flavour it comes with you should not drink it. Pouring Coke/Red Bull in a 16 year old Single Malt makes you look like a $)*(@%

I am so tired of teen and pre-teen kiddies that have enjoyed Assassin Creed's "STABBY TIME" and 2 kilometer hay diving coming here and asking for Thief to be turned in to something it's not supposed to be.

So, your argument is that because in one or two intro movies we saw Garrett killing a guard, that weighs more on Thief than the actual gameplay of the series? This is absurd.

Let me explain something to all of you that want bullet time, headshot movies, dual wielding daggers etc. Thief has been, and always will remain a SNEAKING game, where you progress trough use of stealth, cunning and skill. This is the fundamental basics LGS introduced with TDP. if you want to be an assassin, spy, sniper or a combination of the above - go play something else and stop whining in these forums :mad2:

Thief does not need a lot of the crap that came with TDS, and it damn well does not need even worse crap to be introduced. I feel truly sorry for all you kiddies that encountered the Thief series with TDS and will never udnerstand the first two games, even if you have played them while mumbling *graphics.. hurr durr no loot glint.. hurr durr too hard*

Well put, and I must admit, a little more "Politic" or polite than I tend to be with these types of suggestions from people who REALLY AND TRULY DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE GAME.

Your last paragraph is my sentiments exactly, including the "kiddies that encountered [...] TDS and will NEVER (my accent) understand the first two games[...]"

Mikkowl
21st May 2009, 07:20
Thief 1-2 cutscenes - their Eric Brosius score and sound effects, the voice acting, the graphical style - were a large part of the appeal of Thief 1-2. I've never since seen as appealing cutscenes as those games.

Like others, I sorely missed this aspect from T3 - it was something they did wrong. But it was part of their 'roaming city' idea which didn't quite work out. Also, the graphical styles were more animated but less consistant, and I preferred the sneaky style of T1-2 cutscenes.

Aceyalone7777
21st May 2009, 10:22
If the game makers decide to implement the old style briefings, why dont they make them modern? For example I mean nothing other than just instead of colorless sketches, colorful concept arts would be put instead? Wouldn't that be more great?

Opinions... It is just a thought I have...

BlooferLady
21st May 2009, 17:01
^ You mean rather than the sepia-tone pictures they had in the original 2 games? I'd be up for that, if it was done tastefully. I can imagine a lot of people coming back and saying "yeah, but if you're going to put that much effort into it, just make a cutscene" or some such complaint.

Petike the Taffer
22nd May 2009, 10:49
Look, I'm not entirely against the idea - it's just that it doesn't add anything to the gameplay itself... And it would also require some extra time to program.

And besides : You should avoid attacking guards, whether stealthily or head-on. And then there's the risk that the headshot animation will become boring and samey.

But if the devs finish it while everything else works and the whole animation looks fine and you can turn it on and off - sure, why not...

Hamadriyad
3rd Jun 2009, 16:17
It would be nice If there were mini thief style cutscenes during the game. For example: in TDS, Widow Moira's House, we found a bottle of wine and we threw it to front of widow!
But it could be a cutscene, Garrett could take a cup and give wine to widow with that.
What do you think?Should be cutscenes like that in Thief IV?

Hamadriyad
4th Jun 2009, 13:50
But no, don't interrupt the flow of a mission with interactive conversations and mini-movies.

These cutscenes may be 6-7 secs. And 2-3 cs. for whole game.Just for special situations. I can't see any interruption.

theBlackman
6th Jun 2009, 03:14
Here are the links for original briefings for Gold, and TMA.

The first post has links for the briefings in sequence for GOLD.

Post 15 has the briefings for TMA

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=89507

scumm
20th Mar 2013, 17:56
Has there been any recent news on the cut scenes in Thief? Does that Game Informer video on motion-capture suggest anything? I'm not sure how rotoscopy works but it looked like they were filming in-game cut scenes and not briefings. Or maybe they were just getting human movements to apply to their in-game character models...

Anyone out there know more about this topic? Clearly I'm just speculating here.

Samoflan
23rd Mar 2013, 05:05
You are all are assuming the new game will be broken up into missions. It very well could be one big long linear world level. So there may not be mission briefings. Mostly likely just in game cut-scenes in-between.

Samoflan
23rd Mar 2013, 05:08
It would be nice If there were mini thief style cutscenes during the game. For example: in TDS, Widow Moira's House, we found a bottle of wine and we threw it to front of widow!
But it could be a cutscene, Garrett could take a cup and give wine to widow with that.
What do you think?Should be cutscenes like that in Thief IV?

I think the cutscenes will be more along that line in the new Thief. We may not have mission briefings. Breaking the game up into missions was a really old style of game play because of game engine limitations.