PDA

View Full Version : DIALOGUE: Character & Game - Philosophy & Humour

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 22:35
Part of Thief's charm is the rich dialogue - both the humour and the philosophy.
I hope T4 continues with this tradition.

Do you have any fave quotes from the games? Or perhaps some good ideas yourself?

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 22:38
There has to be a poster saying WANTED: THI4F somewhere, coupled with a snarky remark about clerical errors.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th May 2009, 22:44
A good easter egg idea. :D

Grimmy
11th May 2009, 22:51
why yes, of course, hopefully supported by the voice of Mr. Stephen Russell, any cynical/ironic remarks is good. Some easter eggs? Never enough! Like the Blooper Reel with dancing zombies xD Something hilarious is always welcome and unexpected in dark and creepy thief world:

--> http://mp5slipknot.deviantart.com/art/Thief-Zombie-Works-it-Redone-13812904 :D

and favourite quotes? there's like dozens of them, ppl have been cropping them up in many threads on TTLG forums, my fav is "Tombs with piped in music. How classy."

ideas? well perhaps Garrett could joke about his certain age or sth?

Danie1
12th May 2009, 01:43
I like the guard exchange in Life of the Party, where they argue about their respective masters.

Benny is always a laugh, not always what he says, but just seeing that he got ANOTHER job as a guard somewhere.

Herr_Garrett
12th May 2009, 06:40
...And I'm telling you that the only stench heartier than your rotting burrick of a master, is the liquor on his fetid breath...

The ones featuring Benny, or Hammers, or simple citizens. Really, I couldn't say there was any dialogue that I did not like.

Ice1019
12th May 2009, 06:58
I always liked how characters would hint at story points before you explored them. The docks mission in T2 where they talk about the Mechanists' machines covering stuff in soot and the T3 chatter about the Cradle were great ways to make the City feel more alive, and advance the plot without beating you over the head with narrative. Let's see some more of that.

Goliath The Thief
12th May 2009, 18:35
Karras' lines were perfectly voiced

Hank Scorpio
12th May 2009, 19:18
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84429

Fan's thread on their favourite guard quotes. The A.I dialogue reaction in DS was always entertaining and humourous. I loved just messing about ingame to see what they would say. After I finished the game I would listen to the .ogg files of the guards' dialogue. Really outstanding work was done there.

Thievingtaffer
12th May 2009, 19:23
This is Classic. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suydUkhCWkM)

Hank Scorpio
12th May 2009, 19:34
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84429

Fan's thread on their favourite guard quotes. I particularly loved the conversations involving beeny and the smart guard about his wound. The A.I dialogue reaction in DS was always entertaining and humourous. I loved just messing about ingame to see what they would say. After I finished the game I would listen to the .ogg files of the guards' dialogue. Really outstanding work was done there.

Global Geometry
12th May 2009, 19:49
I don't remember the exact lines, but it went something like this, on TDS, at the docks where the Abysmal Gale is stationed

Guard 1: So, when a zombie bites somebody's leg, you must cut the leg off before the disease spreads and turns him into a zombie.
Guard 2: Huh? And what do you do if he is already a zombie?
Guard 1: You need to cut its head off.
Guard 2: Uh... well, don't worry... if a zombie bites you in the leg, I will cut your... uhm, your head off!
Guard 1: You taffer!

StalinsGhost
12th May 2009, 20:08
Lots, and lots of guard banter. And as many variations of "must have been rats..." as they can muster.

Witty observation by the protagonist - regardless of whether it's Garret or not.

Zadok the Priest
12th May 2009, 20:55
Do you have any fave quotes from the games?

Guard: [upon finding a dead body] Are you alright? No, no. Of course you're not alright. Sorry!

huzi73
12th May 2009, 21:39
I loved all the Shakespearian style dialogue of the hammers,as well as their prayers,which they recited usually after figuring something was wrong,it wasnt humourous,but it was unnerving,id like to hear Garrets cynical remarks,but please,we dont need Garret to do in game commentry,or dumb remarks at every single event.

Kennerinn
13th May 2009, 03:42
Come's a man to rescue me...
Poor man.

-The Eye

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th May 2009, 23:17
"Ah nothing, who'd be stupid enough to break in here?"

Obviously, we are the stupid ones. :D

esme
13th May 2009, 23:31
Garrett never has a back door to his main residence, this always struck me as odd, what if the watch get a tip off and come calling, so a secret back door might be an idea

and as for conversations between guards I can't think of one I don't like but the rooftop argument that turns into a bloodbath from life of the party has to be a favourite

Ice1019
14th May 2009, 06:34
I've always equated feelings with getting caught. They both get in the way of my money. Unfortunately, not everyone is as committed to their work as I am.

Corvin25
14th May 2009, 12:54
This is Classic. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suydUkhCWkM)

Totally. ;)

One thing I missed about Thief 1 and 2 that was largely absent in 3 was the more frivolous quotes during the mission. Even Garrett has to enjoy himself once in a while, be it through dark humor, observing his immediate surroundings, or simply admiring the feat of athleticism he just did.

Spider Pit in Lord Bafford's Manor: "Since I'm in here, I might as well pick up a little something for myself!"

Kitchen with lots of food on the tables: "I wonder if I have time to stop for a snack?"

Seeing a pair of inept burglars: "Well well... Housebreakers. How quaint."

Sliding down a hill of ice riddled with jagged icicles: "Let's not do that again."

My favorite one of all, was when Garrett has to cut through a living room on his way to Angelwatch, with a pair of ladies screaming when they see the scary armed man entering through the window. "Don't mind me ladies, I'm just passing through! ;)"

I'd like to see more things like that. Just those little enjoyable moments that make you go "heh..."

vowdy
14th May 2009, 13:03
"Where are you taffer?!!"

"Don't bes afraids, we bes not bites"

I agree, the little random comments add alot to the persona of Garrett.

Necros
15th May 2009, 10:12
Some of my favourites:

Garrett: Hmmm. That old gear looks precarious. Someone could have an accident.
A secret room, eh? Always my favorite room in a house....
I’m not very musical, but an ivory horn with rubies sounds like it might play my kind of tune.
This one must be hers. It’s still warm. Great.... :cool:
This place is gonna give me nightmares.
Never trust a talking rock. Someone could lose an eye.
This must be one of their ‘thief-proof’ security measures. But everything has a weakness, or a power switch... or something.
It’s not much, but it’s home.
Too bad Mr. Wicket has to pay money to his blackmailer. Too bad for his blackmailer that I know where the drop is.
So that's the famous Garrett, huh? Guess he's not as good looking as I'd heard.
The Shalebridge Cradle. This place gives even me the creeps.
There are some good rooftops in Old Quarter...they don't call it the Thieves' Highway for nothing.
How many times am I going to steal this thing?
Got it...again. Whatever it is....

The Eye: Do you miss your eye, little man? I've seen many interesting things with it. Some day I might come looking for the other one....
Would you like me to tell you how special you are? You’re not handsome...but I could find something nice to say....
You’re not a prince...you’re just a simple thief. Hardly worth talking to.

Guards: Great. Power's out. What's next? Probably going to bump into a spider in the dark, get bitten, just my luck.
Power's off...that means no security. Well, 'cept me. I'm always on.

-How's it goin', Sinclair?
- Not bad I guess. Only....
- What? Let me guess, you got a bad feelin' about tonight, right?
- I've got the heebie-jeebies something awful, I feel like there's someone watching me, even now....
- Boo!
- Ack! Hey! Now whatcha do that for?
- Back to work, you taffer.

- And I'm telling you that the only stench heartier than your rotting burrick of a master, is the liquor on his fetid breath. If he comes near Lady van Vernon again, we'll boil his knickers.
- Whoa-ho! Mighty fine words, coming from a knock-kneed, inbred, page-boy, such as yourself. Our good Master Willey wouldn't be caught near that frumpy, little trollop, unless he were holding her back at the end of a halberd.
- How dare you defile the name of someone so good and virtuous as the Lady van Vernon. Our Lady is a saint among mortal women. An angel so pure the heavens couldn't hold her!
- Your Lady, an 'angel?' You're lucky the Dockside whorekeeps aren't bashing down her door for stealing their clientele. Why, just last night, I saw her out back warming up the stable-boy.
- Such slander will not be tolerated while we're on watch. You'd best run and rescue your helpless limp lord, before he flounders in his own vomit...or wakes up naked in a hen-coop! Scurry off! Or you'll acquire some unnecessary ventilation!
- Is that a threat, you shriveled old maid? You go to prick us with your sewing needles? On this side a' the street, we shoot like soldiers, so don't make promises your arrows won't keep!
- You've gone-! You've gone too far this time you camel-mannered, tunic-wearing, molly-coddle! An arrow to the throat ought to shut you up!
- Raaaaah! Have at thee!

I'm invincible!
Eh? Stobbit, stobbit...I'm a big mean guardy person...pfff....
Too many stars...uh oh, gettin' dizzy...heh....

:D

Thieffanman
15th May 2009, 17:54
I loved the character-to-character banter in DS. Please keep it; it gives the AI people walking around a little more depth and reality.

--I liked the Hammerites' constantly quoting scripture and speaking in pseudo-medieval English; that should stay.

--I liked the way certain people had different accents and levels on intelligence displayed through speech, like the 'dumb' Guard who seems to always start his speeches with "Duh". :)

--Keep the nobles'/ wealthy style of speech. "Did you see that!? The effrontery!" :)

--Keep the pagans' peculiar uneducated style of speech. It *definitely* helps show the player who they are, and how they function in "Thief" society.

--Thieffanman

Hypevosa
15th May 2009, 20:07
How does no one remember one of the things that got me hooked... the dialogue between the front gate guards from the very first part of the dark project!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ehZt4wa3k

I loved it :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th May 2009, 14:05
Clever and funny dialogue throughout! Let's hope EM bring it all back to us for T4. :thumb:

CurtX
17th May 2009, 14:34
I'm trying to decide which category was the bear pits conversation, philosophy or humor?

Hypevosa
17th May 2009, 19:38
I'm trying to decide which category was the bear pits conversation, philosophy or humor?

It's really a mix of both.

Matuzzz
18th May 2009, 08:44
I think voices are very important part of thief. Not only Garretts legendary voice, but also other characters and guards. Every one of you must remember those two main voices of guards. Every time it was that stupid one and clever one :) You know, they could be heared in the very first dialogue in front of Baffords Manor. It was main funny element in all three games. I would miss their absence in Thief 4.

Fiddlesticks
18th May 2009, 09:20
I just want them to use the word taffer, often + the usual Thief conversations.
"Show yourself taffer" "Quit taffing around!"

You could even put in secret passages, which you only get when you are patient enough to wait until the end of the conversation. If you disturb them before it ends you might miss a code to a safe for instance!

Immano
18th May 2009, 11:01
Reducing the presence and dialogue of the Pagans, on the other hand, feels like a reasonable and sound (heh) choice. In Thief 3 they really grated my ears and felt out of place. In the first two episodes we had had them as this impalpable, written only presence and only two characters delivered lines in paganspeech, which is okay if it's the Trickster or the Green Lady as they're charismatic characters speaking at key moments, but tell me that Diane and Larkspur in T3 didn't sound awkward when they briefed you for their missions.

stoker
22nd May 2009, 15:37
en+de overview, speech and text in T3

http://s11b.directupload.net/images/090522/temp/66hwpxu2.png (http://s11b.directupload.net/file/d/1802/66hwpxu2_png.htm) project dark speech t3 / 2009-05-22 / 19,1 MB
download in #33 ↓

guard1_cret_kil_na2: Is that the last of 'em?
commoner1_gcon1: Vielleicht beim nächsten Mal …

BlooferLady
30th May 2009, 01:32
tell me that Diane and Larkspur in T3 didn't sound awkward when they briefed you for their missions.

The pagans sounded absolutely moronic in T3. The speech is written differently than in TDP. And by different, I mean "by a 5 year old."

stoker
20th Dec 2009, 00:42
en+de overview, speech and text in T3
http://www3.pic-upload.de/thumb/20.12.09/ph8x2j3df7uw.png (http://www.pic-upload.de/view-3999257/g1_Guard_speech_Firefox.png.html) project dark speech t3 / 2009-12-20 / 20822 Kbyte
download:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-2091381/pdst3_2009-12-20.zip.html

jtr7
20th Dec 2009, 01:39
:cool: :thumb:

A fine piece of work, there.

Loup
20th Dec 2009, 10:27
I think that the mainproblem with the pagans was that they weren't secretive and hidden which fellt very odd in comparision with TDP and TMA. I agree that the pagan lines in TDS was mediocre. I hope that we won't see the pagans in the open, but we notice their presence in subtle ways. A vine growing in a odd hidden place, cobblestones being pushed aside by a plant etc. Sorry for going off topic.

I agree with fiddlesticks about getting interesting information like codes or knowlege about a passageway etc though the conversations. If I remember correctly you got some useful info from npc conversations in Deus Ex.

jtr7
20th Dec 2009, 10:30
Garrett got new objectives from overhearing conversations, so that should continue, but no dialogue trees.

MilordyBafford
31st Dec 2009, 00:13
Thief 1 "It's a throne room. How pretentious can you get."
and "I wonder if he reads them or if it's just for show" commenting on Lord Bafford's library.

jtr7
31st Dec 2009, 00:28
What do you like about those quotes that should apply to Thief 4? Or did you mean to post them here?:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=89190

Odyseeos
10th Jan 2010, 17:01
"What's that smell?!!"

I've had a long-running argument with Garrett on that. He argues that dogs (who hope to smell like the environment) are better hidden than cats (who desire to smell like nothing).

During T3, I was awful glad I was only his lame, ghostly friend. I talked him into the water once. He like to never stop cussin' me.

Yaphy
10th Jan 2010, 19:44
I hope the devs make alot of different voice actors and very many dialoges and in-game lines. I dont ever want to hear the guards say the same thing over and over again. Except from the usual "What was that?" "Whats that?" "Where did he go?" "vanished!" and those ordinary stuff.

jtr7
10th Jan 2010, 19:55
Yaphy wants a second DVD just for voices!

It's not going to happen, man. To write out all those scripts and pay the actors for the extra time in the booth, and to type out all the translations, and edit all the clips and label them, and type up all the schemas for the engine to use them...my god. TDS already has more than the other two games combined.

Odyseeos
12th Jan 2010, 00:28
That's too bad. I had always hoped for something to fool me into continuously spontaneous listening. I read something some months ago that games can't really compete with other dramatic forms yet, partially on ground of repetitive speech. Certainly, it'd take a second CD. I think one would have to be able to organize a tree of various generic concerns carefully. My thought was, how many concerns would one need to produce quickly retrievable remarks that seemed wonderfully apt? I don't know anything about this, except for the quickness with which one can pull up collections of chess games with multiple parameters. The machine would have to be cutting trees by vicinities of types. In the '30's, a few radio actors could produce hundreds of characters on a weekly basis. I'm asking a sequence of questions, really, even though this looks like an argument-- because I don't know anything about this. Is it actually impossible?

[Later: I already overstated and underthought the above, and probably will again. The question of variety is one of degree of satisfaction, I reckon, how much an engine can handle without laboring. That's one of innumerable places I'm at sea. And it would be impractically costly to trompe a player determined not to be tromped. But I think difficulty of writing is not necessarily complicated at the level of remarks. Acting workshops are all about instantaneous invention. Once focused on it, a talented twenty-year-old (especially a comedian) could probably sit in front of a mike and come up with a thousand short, categorized quips in 24 hours. Hit a single workshop, and you'd likely get flooded in no time if they started having fun with it. Banter's a Dionysian wonder.]

Albi
12th Jan 2010, 02:23
hey does any1 know in which game garrett said, "lucky rich people have me to relieve them of their possessions"?

i need the audio file for my movie but cant find it.

jtr7
12th Jan 2010, 03:54
Well, of course!
gar0703: Some people in this city are too rich for their own good. Lucky they have me to give them a hand.

Albi
12th Jan 2010, 04:11
ahhh thankyou, but can u give me the sound or tell me where it is?

jtr7
12th Jan 2010, 04:17
It's in the zipped snd.crf of TMA, in the "Garrett" folder.

Albi
12th Jan 2010, 04:19
awesome cheers!

Yaphy
12th Jan 2010, 11:41
Yaphy wants a second DVD just for voices!

It's not going to happen, man. To write out all those scripts and pay the actors for the extra time in the booth, and to type out all the translations, and edit all the clips and label them, and type up all the schemas for the engine to use them...my god. TDS already has more than the other two games combined.

There must be some way to make it possible. Who knows, Thief 4 maybe uses bluray disks even on computers. I just thought that If Naughty Dog could do it with Uncharted 2 why cant Eidos Montreal do it with Thief 4? In Uncharted 2 I didnt hear anyone say the same thing even once (except for the usual expressions).

jtr7
12th Jan 2010, 12:28
Money! Time! People!

You know, the same ol' same ol'. Hasn't changed...

Limits, eh?

The only way to narrow it down is to set the frequency of the sayings to 1, and to have 20+ sayings among 10 voice sets, and to force the player not to stand around listening (oops, wrong game), and force the player to never alert an AI at all (good luck), and to keep the game fast-paced (oopsie, wrong game). Hahahaha! Uncharted 2 had an 85-member dev team BUT they had several contractors, outsourced, and Sony did a lot for them. Until we know EM is outsourcing more than the cutscenes, we can't assume limitless resources and that the sky's the limit.

Odyseeos
12th Jan 2010, 17:04
Thank you.

Cogency on budget: time, money, or overburdening desired gameplay, should move any dreamer to silence. I'm not convinced on the first two of those, because I do know the use of shoestrings with that sort of stuff. That bailiwick is huge and all about shoestrings. But-- longstanding contracts with various guilds could make shoestrings impossible or very sneaksie to accomplish.

If you had material, a good musician could probably choreograph it. In some sense, places are a matter of rhythm. How easy would it be for a player to ruin it for self? I dunno. I’ve watched some movies and read some books a score of times without loss. But no art can survive without assuming good will. I reckon, one can ruin most any effect, if the intent is to break the illusion. I haven’t been able to break the “Bomp!” at the top of the stairs at Shalebridge, but I could elegantly turn the sound off.

jtr7
13th Jan 2010, 00:02
I'm very consistent on this. For developing a game, knowing what is one's fantasy and what is the reality, and having a realistic concept of what it takes to bring the fantasy into reality, would bring a lot more strong ideas into actual existence. Dreams should not be hindered, but no one should be saying the work is simple, the cost is not a concern, resources are plentiful, deadlines don't exist or are only arbitrary, etc. Stating how wonderful it would be IF something could be made is entirely separate from saying there is no reason why not. Not qualifying the absolute possibility of something with what needs to be in place for that possibility, and diminishing the availability of all those necessities, is nonconstructive. Context is everything, but in the end, it's the realities that will rule the end product. Most dreams will be cast aside out of necessity, and this is normal. Resources, time, money, and minds are needed to build something without cutting anything away that is not excessive. I'm not trying to kill dreams, but there's a very strong presence of what is easier said than done, what is easy for one who is not doing the work under a deadline and a budget to say. Learn "why not?" and construct the dream in tangible form to sell it and/or to put it firmly into the consciousness, or let it just be a dream. :)

Odyseeos
13th Jan 2010, 18:32
I'm very consistent on this. :)

That first sentence pulled in my full attention in a hurry. I don’t understand. Consistency is one of your many virtues. That shouldn’t be an issue.

Anyway, I accept your earliest remark , that “It ain’t gonna happen."

What is not thoroughly convincing to me is the idea that scripting and vocal transcripting is a budgetary problem by its nature. I’d be a hard sell on that one. It can be, but it’s not necessarily. There’s an old truism couched as a joke that the average income of a card-carrying (name any profession that has stars in its eyes) is less than the average income of a (What would the punch line be now? migrant worker, I guess). And that’s for a card-carrier. For every card-carrier, in some fields, there are ten thousand who don’t have the precious card. Well, look at this forum. People work here for the love of it; it’s a privilege.

How many basketball players are there in New York City? In Indiana? Los Angeles county? Michael Jordan didn’t come out of nothing.

That aside, and assuming 10,000 quips, could they be coordinated on a computer in budgetary terms? I’m at sea. I don’t know if it could be done yesterday or in a thousand years. My phantasms have huge waves hanging over my shoulder. There’s just a sound, an idea of something that makes me close my eyes and sleep well. To the point, I’d have to do some heavy review on my FORTRAN and BASIC before I could form an unhelpful opinion.

jtr7
13th Jan 2010, 21:42
The consistency comment was about the fact few threads about new big development ideas don't have a reminder from me. :p

All you have to do is imagine doing the work of the sound editor and the sound recorder, and realize every passing hour is money, and a brain can only sustain monotony for so long. More time in the booth with scripted lines someone wrote, and any ad-libbing will need to be translated to the other languages, and it's worse on the budget if they don't use those subtitles but have another set of translating and voice actors for all the lines again. And not only is the team writing the lines, but they have to make sure they are consistent with minimal continuity errors, so every time someone gets a brilliant idea, it needs to be discussed to some extent with the key people--and then someone has to clip each line apart, decide on which takes are worthy and which should be omitted or used for something else, label each file, run them all through appropriate filters, add them to schemas, assign various settings, included with subtitles, etc.

Now that Stephen Russell is doing feature films--having done three already, which means he's probably got his SAG card--and then the fact that it's probably more costly to fly him from Cape Cod to Montreal in another country than it was to Boston over ten years ago (maybe not?), at least that covers Garrett (if it's Garrett, and SR is doing the voice), Benny, an elder Hammerite, and civilians. Any returning characters (not many, but Benny without his straight man will be odd) will be contracted out from the States and brought in over the border. The rest will be hired from the local theatres, be voiced by the devs themselves, or be celebrity voices (doubt that one). Maybe Square-Enix will also help with voice and translation services? Nothing fills up the discs and hard-drives like the sound files. It will be several Gigs already before trying to double or triple the random sounds. In Uncharted 2, are the AIs giving the constant feedback like the Thief AI? Also, you need to realize that not only will the random sounds have to be doubled and tripled, but the suggestions for having the AIs discover and react to more things means a whole new subset per voice. Every new use of sound requires a whole subset, and if you don't want repeats, each of those subsets must be substantial. Uncharted 2 had help form Sony, will EM have help like that?

Here're fifteen possible reactions for a single condition, taken from TDS, guard1 only:

Ha!
Die!
Feel that?
Take this!
Gotcha!
[effort grunt]
[effort grunt]
[effort grunt]
[effort grunt]
[effort grunt]
[effort grunt]
[effort grunt]
[effort grunt]
[effort grunt]
[effort grunt]

Here's what the one schema from which those English subtitle and voice-actor scripts were extracted:

Version 7
SoundSchema
g1_catt
streamtype 0
volume 0,0 pitch 0,0
radii 10,75
pan 0,0
randomstyle 0
looptype 0
finishstyle 0
schemaloopdelay 0,0
ainoisetype 0
storage 3
metasounds 15
06gr
07gr
08gr
09gr
10gr
11gr
12gr
13gr
14gr
15gr
tags 2
+combataction:melee
+voice:guard1
MetaSound
g1_catt/01
lang_english 2004-01-15 22:22:38 "Ha!"
lang_french 2004-02-19 16:44:06 "Ha !"
lang_german 2004-02-22 07:01:08 "Ha!"
lang_italian 2004-03-05 03:14:12 "Ha!"
g1_catt1
MetaSound
g1_catt/02
lang_english 2004-01-15 22:22:38 "Die!"
lang_french 2004-02-19 16:44:06 "Meurs !"
lang_german 2004-02-22 07:01:08 "Stirb!"
lang_italian 2004-03-05 03:14:12 "Muori!"
g1_catt2
MetaSound
g1_catt/03
lang_english 2004-01-15 22:22:38 "Feel that?"
lang_french 2004-04-26 15:24:05 "Ça fait mal ?"
lang_german 2004-02-22 07:01:08 "Tut's weh?"
lang_italian 2004-03-05 03:14:12 "Lo senti?"
g1_catt3
MetaSound
g1_catt/04
lang_english 2004-03-01 18:59:18 "Take this!"
lang_french 2004-03-02 09:48:50 "Prends ça !"
lang_german 2004-03-02 09:42:07 "Nimm das!"
lang_italian 2004-03-05 03:14:12 "Prendi questo!"
g1_catt4
MetaSound
g1_catt/05
lang_english 2004-01-15 22:22:38 "Gotcha!"
lang_french 2004-02-19 16:44:06 "Je t'ai eu !"
lang_german 2004-02-22 07:01:08 "Hab ich dich!"
lang_italian 2004-03-05 03:14:12 "Ti ho preso!"
g1_catt5
MetaSound
g1_catt/06gr
lang_english 2004-01-21 12:08:52 "[effort grunt]"
lang_french 2004-03-02 07:43:38 "[effort grunt] "
lang_german 2004-02-22 07:01:08 "[effort grunt] "
lang_italian 2004-03-23 03:24:57 ""
g1_catt6
MetaSound
g1_catt/07gr
g1_catt7
MetaSound
g1_catt/08gr
lang_english 2004-01-27 23:11:06 "[effort grunt]"
g1_catt8
MetaSound
g1_catt/09gr
g1_catt9
MetaSound
g1_catt/10gr
g1_catt10
MetaSound
g1_catt/11gr
g1_catt6
MetaSound
g1_catt/12gr
g1_catt7
MetaSound
g1_catt/13gr
lang_english 2004-01-27 23:11:06 "[effort grunt]"
lang_german 2004-02-22 07:01:46 "[effort grunt]"
g1_catt8
MetaSound
g1_catt/14gr
g1_catt9
MetaSound
g1_catt/15gr
g1_catt10

Any typos in the wrong spot will make it not work or cause errors, and if a decision is made to add or subtract or modify these responses, that has to be handled properly. Additional lines may need to be recorded, the existing files may need to be clipped or spliced, and so on. Nothing simple, and it all adds up. More work means more opportunity for mistakes--as long as they are amusing, it's okay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXni_HD3Fuw

A significant percentage of sounds are merely multiple edit versions of one longer clip, so even if the file isn't an exact repeat, it is a repeat, and the same sound will often be used in different categories. Copying and pasting, slicing and splicing, and tweaking of clips are signs of time and energy saving. All the Thief games have a lot of this, and I don't expect T4 to be much different.

Odyseeos
13th Jan 2010, 23:18
I thank you again. Your letters are always wonderfully informing.

Shadow Blade
14th Jan 2010, 16:31
That looks like a heck of a lot of work for a few sentences. Now they have to repeat that process hundreds of times with even more complex sentences and get it perfectly correct. . .Wow that must be extremely time consuming.

I suppose they also have to reach a balance between sound quality and the amount of sound clips they can add aswell. The higher the quality the more space the sound files take up. They also dont want to have thousands of different sounds that sound terrible. This makes the job a lot trickier aswell

Odyseeos
14th Jan 2010, 17:06
At this point, would von Neumann have gotten out his pencil and gone "Vell, let me see", or not?

Offhand, adjusting for my illiteracy and all that that entails [if possible!], Why are "Eng", etc, cached for individual moments? Why dump apples and oranges into the same barrel at the warehouse if you're going to sell them separately? They're not picked from the same tree.

Oon Kuka Oon
14th Jan 2010, 19:21
Would it be possible to use the sound files from the original games, and not recreate them every time?
That might save some time and money.

jtr7
14th Jan 2010, 22:56
If they had the original recordings, and they were in CD quality, yeah. I wonder if they'd have to pay everybody something for their reuse?

Oon Kuka Oon
15th Jan 2010, 14:53
Maybe, but they won't have to pay for sitting in front of a mike.
I'd like to hear the original hammerite whistling/humming again.
Remember when you were first time exploring the haunted mines? Then you suddenly heard the hammerites humming, and you knew that you had made it.
The sounds in TDP and TMA were awesome.

Shadow Blade
15th Jan 2010, 16:04
They were awesome indeed. Ive always related the Thief series with brilliant sound quality and Im sure this one shall be no different.

I remember in TMA where you have to infiltrate the mechanist cathedril in order to hear the meeting between Karris and Sherrif Truart. I think that is one of the many good examples of excellent sound quality that We've always been exposed to in Thief games

Yaphy
15th Jan 2010, 20:52
I dont think we should think about "budget", "deadline", what possible or not possible to do for the devs. Why? you ask. Because we dont know what they can do. Leave that up to them. Some of you might know alot about what they have done and whats possible to do mostly in the programing and game-making world, but you dont know exactly what EM can do. So they ideas from this forum and takes critique and advice that we give them. Shouldnt we give them as much advice, critique and ideas as we possibly could do. Then they can use some things as a "must-have-in-the-game", some things they can use as inspiration. Its true that some other stuff that they see just a few people want, or just isnt possible to do. If there is such things they can just dont care about it and skip it.
Just let EM do the sorting and planning and give them as much ideas as you can. I dont think its any fun to comment or say what I think when people says things that they actually dont know but instead says its not possible because they of habit think that they can predict what the game industry is possible to do.
How can the games get better if we constantly deny new ideas that feels "over the top".
So please lets just say something about our ideas that add something to it or say its not a good idea fot a Thief game instead of just saying that "its not possible" and directly reject the idea.

This wasnt at all said to upset anyone or make someone feel pointed out or in any way make him/her feel bad. Oh how the internet makes our words look one-tracked, mute, obstinate, and stubborn. :o
If you do feel indignant I really, deeply apologize. :flowers:

Oon Kuka Oon
15th Jan 2010, 21:15
We don't want to distract the devs from what is most important for Thief IV; that it will be like Dark Engine. They have got enough work in that, we shouldn't distract them demanding something big. If you think that Dark Engine has a flaw that should really be fixed, tell it us. I don't know any.
Any improvements are recommended only, and no major change shouldn't be made for Thief IV. We can think of them for Thief V when we already have working engine to start with.
If the devs have time, they should make improvements that are on-topic in Thief. Like dynamic light and shadow, improved AI, limited climbing abilities for NPCs, swing-able rope arrows, more things NPC can do, and so on.

Yaphy
15th Jan 2010, 21:30
It's not about "demanding" anything. It's just ideas.

jtr7
15th Jan 2010, 22:57
As I clarified earlier, it's thinking the highly-unlikely is simple and quite possible, which is false. I have nothing against dreaming up stuff, but to think it's as simple and possible as you do is what needs a reality-check.

Oon Kuka Oon
16th Jan 2010, 14:15
I'm just afraid that the ideas posted here distract the devs from what they should do.

jtr7
17th Jan 2010, 06:00
Hopefully they are more professional than that and have a good idea of their own vision at this point. :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Jan 2010, 13:23
^
Absolutely. :cool:

huyholyfire
21st Jan 2010, 15:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiRrWJ6uaKU

I like this one... He's so POOTCHY POOTCHY POOTCHY POO!! What a brilliant quotes... ^ ^

Hypevosa
21st Jan 2010, 16:52
Wow, that did make me laugh XD

The unexpected dialogue is one of the best parts of thief, by far.

Taffer17
25th Jun 2010, 03:19
Forgive me if this has already been made into a thread (in which case this one can just be moved) since I'm not going to search through all the pages, but I think it'd be a good idea to post all the funny moments we've had playing the Thief games. Also a good place for just plain old nostalgia...that hasn't been used up on the other threads :lmao:

Let the games begin...

jtr7
25th Jun 2010, 03:37
In Running Interference, hearing this comment for the first time and thinking the guard pacing in the dining room above was talking about me, since I just picked up a couple deer legs from in the kitchen and was near the dumbwaiter, but didn't yet know the voice was coming from the lift shaft: "Nuh, what is that smell? Smells like old meat." I didn't stick around to hear the rest of it, and only figured it out later. But since I played TMA first, I didn't know if AIs could smell me.
In Shipping... and Receiving, leaping off a catwalk, quaffing a slow-fall potion, and descending with blackjack ready, and scoring my only awesome KO while Airborne on the patrolling archer outside Lord Porter's.
In Framed, I still didn't know if AIs could smell or not when I swam through the drain pipes to get into Shoalsgate, and experienced having an AI walk right next to me in a narrow darkened corridor for the first time, while I was crouched and motionless. It was the first revelation that some AIs can actually bump into you and not notice, but up until the bump, my god, what exquisite tension!
In Break from Cragscleft Prison, falling down the elevator shaft and being greeted by the huge spider.

We'll see what else I remember...

Popemaster
25th Jun 2010, 03:50
I can't really think of any moments in T1 or T2 at the moment, except for something making me jump or something. However, I remember I was at the end of TDS, when you are placing the sentients, when the funniest thing happened. I was at the docks placing the Paw (I think) and Gamall is walking around trying to keep you from doing so. Well, of course, she has all her glyph protection and what not, so she is invincible. Well, I was just messing around, shooting stuff at her for fun, and I threw an oil flask at her to see if anything would happen...and she somehow slipped, and fell into the water and died! I lol'd. I think I tried it again later and it still worked, hehe.

Tryst
25th Jun 2010, 04:46
The first time I did the missions that start at the bell tower. I got to the part where to two opposing pairs of guards fight and sat back enjoying the show until there was only one left. I knocked an arrow and let loose to finish him off and then calmly looted both places.

Pieter888
25th Jun 2010, 05:27
The first time I did the missions that start at the bell tower. I got to the part where to two opposing pairs of guards fight and sat back enjoying the show until there was only one left. I knocked an arrow and let loose to finish him off and then calmly looted both places.

Was about to mention this but you beat me to it.
I also liked making pagans and hammers run into another in TDS.

Oh, the joy of other people slaying each other :)

Taffer17
25th Jun 2010, 05:36
I was always fond of releasing all the prisoners in Cragsleft and watching them run around for a bit to kill like one guard, and then after that stand around in the prison doing nothing. I guess escape wasn't on their minds.

jtr7
25th Jun 2010, 05:41
They realized they had nowhere to go, hahahaha! They didn't have a plan! Hahahaha! Yeah, that sucked.

Getting zombies and burricks and/or spiders to fight each other was what we had in TDP/Gold. In TMA, before the patch, releasing the huge spider from Mynell's and having it run around Building A killing AIs was a surprise my first time through. We can still let loose the sewer spiders from the tall crate on Capt. Davidson's ship.

ToMegaTherion
25th Jun 2010, 09:17
Ah yes, classic Cragscleft moment:

Fall down elevator shaft.
Get attacked by something. It seems to manage to land on my head at some point.
Furiously hack whatever it is to death with my sword.
Call down elevator. Get crushed.

Keeper_Riff
25th Jun 2010, 10:23
On my first Eavesdropping playthrough I came to the basement and saw a robot anchored to the desk and some note saying that the robots must be improved to be protected from the rain. "Wow", I thought, "They are holding this one as a development prototype. Nice touch." How disappointed was I when I learned that was just an AI placement bug. :(

jtr7
25th Jun 2010, 10:46
A "happy accident".

Taffer17
25th Jun 2010, 16:18
The first time I played Thief was the Lord Bafford demo before Thief was released and I remember knocking out Benny, and bringing him along into the well with me. Little did I realise that I'd be swimming and holding his head under the water. When he was drowned I was completely surprised...so I left him in the well to be discovered one day when the water runs low. :D

Taffer17
25th Jun 2010, 16:21
Sometimes when I go around knocking everyone out rather than ghosting or killing, I leave one person conscious so once I make me exit he can go and report what happened as the sole witness. :rasp: I do this in Hitman all the time where I leave one person alive as the only witness haha. Some of the fun things to do in Thief are when you pretend that life will continue after you leave that mission. I'll arrange the furniture on top of someone laying on the floor and just move stuff around. Imagine Benny walking in and discovering it once I'm gone...or am I the only one who enjoys this? haha

Rachie
27th Jun 2010, 08:48
'We'd better go look for him before he hides in the shadows. Then we won't be able to find him at all!"

That quote was in an Easter Egg, but it never fails to amuse. Comments like this would greatly make my day.

xDarknessFallsx
1st Nov 2010, 03:48
In Running Interference, hearing this comment for the first time and thinking the guard pacing in the dining room above was talking about me, since I just picked up a couple deer legs from in the kitchen and was near the dumbwaiter, but didn't yet know the voice was coming from the lift shaft: "Nuh, what is that smell? Smells like old meat." I didn't stick around to hear the rest of it, and only figured it out later. But since I played TMA first, I didn't know if AIs could smell me.
In Framed, I still didn't know if AIs could smell or not when I swam through the drain pipes to get into Shoalsgate, and experienced having an AI walk right next to me in a narrow darkened corridor for the first time, while I was crouched and motionless. It was the first revelation that some AIs can actually bump into you and not notice, but up until the bump, my god, what exquisite tension!
In Break from Cragscleft Prison, falling down the elevator shaft and being greeted by the huge spider.

We'll see what else I remember...
A couple cool moments for me were hearing 'smell' comments, too.

I think I may have just proved the guards' 'smell' comments are a direct result of Garrett being in nearby; rather than being from him carrying meat or from having just emerged from the sewers. In Running Interference just now, I was approaching the first guard you can KO from behind (or at least the first one you should KO), and he said: "Smells like old meat. Can't be me; I washed a few days ago." Obviously, since it's toward the beginning of the game, I hadn't come out of the sewers and I also hadn't touched any meat yet. Yes, there is a kitchen through a doorway 100 feet away(?) from the guard, but surely he wasn't commenting on that?

I like to believe the guards are commenting on Garrett's scruffy unkemptness and hope T4 plays on that. Again, I don't want guard alert levels being raised to Garrett's smell. Just a rare comment like, "What is that smell??"

matahari
2nd Nov 2010, 16:02
Lots of Guards' banter. I also really liked the Guard who sounded a bit paranoid and on the edge - complaining about how many years he'd been on patrol and got no thanks etc. etc. As for Garrett, I wouldn't want him commenting all the time - just a few good lines here and there. In the past, the game created a very believable environment through speech, sounds and voice acting. This should be a priority in Thief4. I would welcome a game where the sound is as important as the visuals. As for the visuals - I don't think they have to be that impressive or stellar - just atmospheric. I would like Thief4 to be pretty much like Thief2.

tinetone
7th Aug 2011, 21:09
I liked dialoges between guards about seeing a doctor and about doctors advices some about harmful bathing.
Notice about learning from mistakes on lobotomy in the cradle was great too.
And of course hamerites prayers and speeches.