PDA

View Full Version : Thief IV SYSTEM SPECS & ENGINE - All Discussion Thread

Gillie
11th May 2009, 15:55
I do hope there will be no complications with compatibility with Vista.
Myself and a lot of others have had trouble playing T2 with Vista.
I am guessing being new there should be no problems. Just thinking ahead.

vorob_
11th May 2009, 16:01
Well, its not win 98, all will be ok.

kin
11th May 2009, 16:17
What you think it will be considering thief will use crystall engine? The engine is the one used in tomb raider underworld.

Gillie
11th May 2009, 16:19
I was talking about T2, many could not play it because of Vista not windows 98. I had XP before so I know there were problems.

Bloodwolf806
11th May 2009, 16:20
...Theif 4 will be a new game....It will be fine on Vista.

Nate
11th May 2009, 16:27
Well, I've upgraded my system to Crossfire 4870 X2 and Vista 64 with 8 gigs of DDR2 1066. I also have 2 Velociraptors in Raid 0.

I think I am set!

kin
11th May 2009, 16:33
I got a geforce 9800 gx2 a relatively new card and i hope it will be ok. My RAM is 2G and GPU dual core 3.16G
Tomb raider U runs fine with no problems.

Jerion
Nate, you're set for the next couple years.

I'm confident that T4 will use yet another heavily modified version of the CD engine, sine EM has a dedicated in-studio team working on it already for DX3.

Thievingtaffer
I just hope that the the game doesn't lose anything in it's port to PC (if that's how it works). I made a pledge 2 years ago, when the whole console battles/craze was going on, that I would purchase whatever console Thief 4 came out, or upgrade my computer to play it if it was released for PC. So I'll be spending money either way, but I hope it'll be worth it.

geekytom
11th May 2009, 16:39
CD engine?

This would indicate a 3rd person view?

Or is it going to be HEAVILY modified.

Nate
11th May 2009, 16:42
Thief DS REALLY suffered from being ported to the original Xbox...that is why the levels were so small and needed loading zones.

Granted, while the Xbox 360 won't every be able to match PC hardware, the good news is that it won't drag the game down like it did the last time.

imported_van_HellSing
11th May 2009, 16:44
I literally laughed out loud when I saw the thread title. They've apparently not even really started working on the game, and you're already asking about the requirements?

Thievingtaffer
11th May 2009, 16:45
I cannot play TDP on Vista, but I'm assuming, out of common sense, that any new game will be fine with Vista (and hopefully X P...maybe?)

Nate
11th May 2009, 16:57
Definitely!

TheJoe
11th May 2009, 18:29
Nate, you're set for the next couple years.

I'm confident that T4 will use yet another heavily modified version of the CD engine, sine EM has a dedicated in-studio team working on it already for DX3.

You should do Thief 4 in the Dark Engine. Nostalgia has it's place on the high street.

Gillie
11th May 2009, 20:28
I literally laughed out loud when I saw the thread title. They've apparently not even really started working on the game, and you're already asking about the requirements?

I did not see anything wrong in asking that, just being logical. Of course it should work with Vista, not set in wood though, after all there has been trouble with Vista in some instances with games. :thumb:

Princess_Frosty
11th May 2009, 21:03
If they need Windows 7 Beta testers I'm cocked locked and ready to rock :D

pwyll
11th May 2009, 23:28
XP and Leopard rulz. :)

Unstoppable
11th May 2009, 23:29
You know now that you created this topic I got a good idea. Eidos should look into exporting Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 onto the MAC operating systems. Also Linux. Could mean significant extra income.

HinDRAncE
12th May 2009, 04:03
yeah, about $10 in extra income :D

HIT3kNology
13th May 2009, 02:43
A retarded thread title even a donkey could answer. For all you know this game could come it 35 years from now and your asking for requirments.

tokamak
13th May 2009, 02:49
You know now that you created this topic I got a good idea. Eidos should look into exporting Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 onto the MAC operating systems. Also Linux. Could mean significant extra income.

I second this. I hear nothing but gripes about technical problems with Vista. I couldn't get printers or sound cards to work with the damned OS. I also don't care for Macs, but that doesn't mean that they should be left out of gaming.

The team should look at a way of packaging the game such that it can play on popular Linux distro's like Ubuntu. Sure, Linux has only got 2% marketshare, but that's 2% marketshare that has practically no one tapping into its gaming demand.

Sykyrys
13th May 2009, 22:26
I'd love to see some patches posted for THIEF 1, 2, and 3 for Vista. Hopefully THIEF 4 won't need one.

bikerdude
17th May 2009, 00:26
I'd love to see some patches posted for THIEF 1, 2, and 3.

There is, wonder over to - http://www.ttlg.com/forums/index.php

kaekaelyn
17th May 2009, 00:34
I would hate to see T4 compatible with only the newest and most expensive of machines and video cards, because that means I wouldn't get to play it for a long, long time, and I know I'm not alone in this. I know this probably isn't feasible in today's video game market, but I have to request.

CurtX
17th May 2009, 01:20
Since T4 is still at least a couple years from a release, I think more pc gamers will be playing this on Win 7 rather thant Vista. Win 7 comes out at the end of this year. Of course, T4 may not be released for the pc at all. At this stage, we don't know for sure. But at the rate piracy has been going. . .

Holodoctor
1st Jun 2009, 01:59
The team should look at a way of packaging the game such that it can play on popular Linux distro's like Ubuntu. Sure, Linux has only got 2% marketshare, but that's 2% marketshare that has practically no one tapping into its gaming demand.

I add a vote to a linux port/linux binaries.

huzi73
2nd Jun 2009, 07:58
Online sale for pc only,maybe using steam.That will stem piracy.Oh by the way since there are many gullible idiots probably reading this right now,Im running an octa core intel core...i14,with 16 gigs of ddr4 corsair dominator extreme edition ram,and a trio of 3 gig ddr6 nvidia gtx 495 cards in 3 way sli,oh,an ive got 6 2 tb hardrives and windows 8 already...128 bit edition.and a mini nuclear reactor powering it all.so believe me now you gullible bunch :lol:

Gillie
12th Jun 2009, 22:20
Bringing this up again just read this news article It is just the IE Wondered though if it really would be worth the effort here in Europe. I do have Vista and think T4 would be compatible for many systems. I did have a time getting T2 to play but since no trouble at all.
If it is just for Windows7 somehow I don't think that would be excepted too much by many Vista is still fairly new itself. :hmm:

No IE onboard Windows 7 in Europe

The rest here.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8096701.stm

European buyers of Windows 7 will have to download and install a web browser for themselves.

Bowing to European competition rules, Microsoft Windows 7 will ship without Internet Explorer.

The company said it would make it easy for PC makers and users to get at and install the web browsing program.

In response the European Commission expressed scepticism over the move and whether it would allay accusations of Microsoft abusing its market position.

jtr7
12th Jun 2009, 22:57
I'm more worried about not being able to play any one of the games or have troubles with editors and programs like SoundDrone or anything I use regularly for my Thiefy fun and projects. I won't have a computer that can play Thief 4 anyway, but I hope, when I do, I won't have to have two systems to keep things working. At least, I hope I won't have to partition the drive to make it possible, but I'll do whatever it takes within my abilities.

Ragnalin The Thief
15th Jun 2009, 21:32

Eww... no thank you to Mac and Linux they probably couldn't even handle the game it's like being ported to a console -3 years

esme
16th Jun 2009, 11:03
I would like it to play on XP upwards and mac and linux distro's

start at XP because despite Microsoft's determined efforts to get rid of it people are hanging on to it, it does the job so why spend £250+ on upgrading

and before anyone tells me I have a crap machine I can run Win7 quite happily including the XP virtual machine add on I just don't see the point in spending £30-£40 on a game when I then need to spend £250+ for an OS to run it, I'm all for Eidos making a profit but why make me throw money at Microsoft to get it

Tuxgajmer
16th Jun 2009, 14:17
I would also like to see a binary for Linux. It's a shame Blizzard won't do anything here so I have high hope for Thief 4 and upcoming games. Linux could easily replace Windows for alot of people if it's easier to install the games and make the run smoothly.

Tuxgajmer

gpagonewest
16th Jun 2009, 15:20
I'd love to see some patches posted for THIEF 1, 2, and 3 for Vista. Hopefully THIEF 4 won't need one.

I am playing Thief 2 on Vista at the moment, with the DDFix patch:-

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121449

I applied the patch, turned on XP compatibility mode, set my res to 1440x900 and went thieving. Works like a treat.

I will have to find my old TDP Gold and SS2 disks and play through them next.

HellionKal
16th Jun 2009, 15:32
Haven't gone in much detail into the whole "Windows 7" thing yet, but as I have XP SP3, am perfectly happy with it and don't see myself upgrading to Vista EVER, I'm more worried about whether it will work well on XP or be "Vista/Win7 Exclusive".

gpagonewest
16th Jun 2009, 17:00
I think your worrying over nothing, XP is still the platform of choice for most (not all) PC gamers. Plus XP wont be disappearing from peoples PC's any time soon so I doubt you will have any problems.

CaptainObvious
16th Jun 2009, 18:14
I'd guess it'll probably run on XP and if anything it'll be both compatible with Vista and 7 since internally they are very similar.

GabSoh1
14th May 2010, 08:42
I'm with you kaekaelyn

I think the reason why you can't play T2 on vista is because your PC is to good for the game i have XP
I'm not sure i'm able to keep my XP though

Shorono
16th Aug 2010, 17:59

Yay, thief 4 for mac. i would love it, even tough its very unlikely.

Platinumoxicity
16th Aug 2010, 22:54
Does Mac have directX? Or alternatively are there any games built for OpenGL?

Aceyalone7777
15th Jul 2011, 18:56
Well, thing is I am thinking ti buy a laptop soon, 'cause I need it and I want to play thief 4 with it. Still, I am very troubled about the graphics card that accompanies it.

I don't care about the games after Thief 4 is released, so I want a card that can play it in a small resolution (1280x800), no antialising and somewhat medium details (not too low).

Since however we don't not anything about Thief 4 yet, I can only make a wild guess about its requirements. Supposing only it will be out in a 1.5 year time, using the UE3, and from the direction the DXHR team has in terms of requirements and optimisation.

I was thinking for an ATI 5470m (can play Mass Effect 2 maxed).
I can also go for an 540m but I think since I need a card only for Thief 4, it doesn't deservers the cost.

Any low-cost suggestions? Thank you!

Hypevosa
15th Jul 2011, 19:12
I recommend just also buying a really cheap gaming rig - it's usually far cheaper to get a nice, cheap laptop, and a nice, cheap desktop, than get a laptop that will actually handle and play most computer games. Thief 4 will likely have some decent minimum requirements, so this really is the best recommendation I have for you.